Spurs 4-4-2 FM10

VERSION 2 OUT NOW: http://rapidshare.com/files/296483284/Spurs_4-4-2__Tottenham__Aug_2009_.tac

This tactic is a relativly attacking 4-4-2 formation, developed mainly by using common sense, real-life knowledge, and tweaking with info from the new match analysis tool. The team instructions are as follows...:

Philosophy: Fluid

Starting Stratagy: Control

Passing Style: Default

Creative Freedom: More Expressive

Closing Down: Press More

Tackling: Default

Marking: Default

Crossing: Default

Roaming: More Roaming

Primary Playmaker: MCL (Modric first choice)

Primary Target Man: RST (Crouch first choice

Target Man Supply: To Head

...and these player roles/dutys...:

GK: Goalkeeper, Defend

DR/L: Full Back, Support

DCL/R: Central Defender, Defend

MR/L: Winger, Attack

MCL: Advanced Playmaker, Attack

MCR: Ball Winning Midfielder, Defend

STL: Advanced Forward, Attack

STR: Target Man, Support

...the following changes were made to these roles in the 'advanced' section...:

DR/L: Long Shots: Rarely

MR/L: Cross From: Mixed, Wide Play: Cut Inside

STR/L: Long Shots: Rarely

STR: Cross Ball: Rarely

... this is my first choice line up...:

GK: Gomes

RB: Corluka

LB: Ekotto

CB: King, Woodgate (side doesn't matter, they are identical)

MR: Lennon

ML: Kranjcar

MCL: Modric

MCR: Palacios

STL: Keane

STR: Crouch

This tactic has only been tested with Tottenham, but I feel it should be succesful at nearly any team.

Any feedback is very welcome, as long as it is constructive. Thank you for trying my tactic, I hope it brings you much success.

Yid Army, can you post a little more info about the tactic please. im a spurs fan too, and from the looks of your line up your trying to re-create the way spurs are playing at the moment.

how does modric play for you in the middle rather than on the left? i tried a number of times in fm09 to get him to play in the middle but his performances were a lot better from the left.

Hey Yid,

I used your version 1 tactic for my newcastle team and it worked very well, bearing in mind, the players i have and i'm sure it'll be better at some point when i have funds to buy better players.

I'm going to try out your version 2 tactic now.

Well, with all due respect, I disagree with some parts, although the general idea is the same:

Corlucka and Ekoto are set to wingbacks and on automatick duty to adapt to alterations during the match

They look to overlap when attacking/home/against lower team

Bassong & King play a flat line of four given stopper instructions. King could play ball playing DC when vs lower team. When playing "cover" Assman says they are used to close down opponents more.

No MCd could fit the role of Ball Winning in my view. They would play better as deep lying playmakers.

Modric is better than Kronjcer in AML.

At the moment I have a problem combining Crouch with Keane as they seem both better to play deep. Courch as target man/support and Robbie as deep lyign forward/support. At the moment I have to play either Crouch-Defoe (Defoe as poacher), Deofe-Keane and to lower extent Defoe-Pavl

So my best line up would be

GK Gomez/Keeper/Defend

WB L/R Ekoto/Corlucka/Wingbacks/Automatic

MCd Jenas Deep Lying/Defend

Mca Kronjcer Advanced playmaker/Support

Wingers Modric/Bentley attacking

Target Man Crouch support

Poacher Defoe attack

I like to push high, wide, quick, exploit the flanks, look for overlaps.

So far only friendlies played...:-( but I have won by wide margins and scored too many (5-2, 3-1, 2-0, 4-1)

Hey Yid,

I've used your tactic for a couple of games with the exact same players in the team. i've noticed that i'm conceding more goals but scoring plenty. I want to test it for the complete demo like i did with your version 1 tactic than couple of games and i'll let you know how i get on.

But from the changes you have made, i'am very happy with the version 2 tactic and i have alot more possession too.

Just beaten Brescia in away friendly match 7-0.

Fluid/Balanced/default passing, default pressing, default tackling, more roaming, default creativeness, zonal marking

GK Gomez

DL/R Ekotto, Corluka (Wingbacks, Automatic)

DC DC Bassong King (DC, Stoppers)

AML/R (Wingers, Support)

MCd Palacios (Deep Lying Playmaker, Defend)

MCa Kronjcar (Advanced Playmaker, Support)

SCR Crouch (Target Man, Support)

SCL Keane (Deep Luying, Attack)

I scored 5 in the first half, then changed 7/11 and got another 2 in 2nd

The only constant Touchline Shout I ised was to Hussle Opponents.

I also tried some flank play, some overlap attempts, some push higher

Just beaten Brescia in away friendly match 7-0.

Give me a break what does that mean anyway, yes if you say you've finished in top 4 after 21 games then fair enough but more results in prem would be useful before I start thinking about any tactics on here!.

You are absolutely right.

It is just that this post follows my previous which says that unfortunately I have just tested this tactic on friendlies. However, even for friendly matches, the wins are dominant and with heavy scores. This last post about winning over Brescia was an add-on to my previous post. This is why I believe it's worth giving it a try. I will post again with regular season matches

Starting using the Version 2 tactic with Spurs so will let you know - so far so good though, have just beaten Chelsea 3-1! Lovely stuff. Do seem to scoring a fair few - In friendlies alone I won 7-0 and 6-1. (I know friendlies don't count, but was a good way for the players to get used to the tactic)

Just giving it ago with my Villa team, ive changed the ML/MR to AML/AMR would you suggest any alterations to make up for this emphasis on attack? I have also changed the advanced forward to a poacher as I feel that better suits Gabby.

GK: Friedel

RB: Young/Beye

CB: Zapata

CB: Dunne/Davis

LB: Warnock

CMd: Palombo/NRC

CMa: Hamsik/Delph

AMR: Milner

AML: Young

Poacher: Gabby

Target: Heskey/Carew

Villa 2 - 0 Colchester (Agbonlahor x2)

Kilmarnock 1 - 7 Villa (NRC x1, Agbonlahor x2, Carew x1, Delph x1, Heskey x2)

I know its only two games in but I'm yet to see anything inspiring from corners, how is your Tottenham team performing in this regard?

Ill keep you posted with results.

---------------------------------

New results:

Livingston 0 - 5 Villa (Carew x2, A Young x1, Hamsik x1, Milner x1)

Villa 2 - 2 FC Timisoara (NRC x1, Milner x1) Quite disappointed with this result but it is only a friendly.

Yeovil 0 - 4 Villa (Delph x1, Carew x1, Agbonlahor x1, Heskey x1)

Villa 0 - 3 Man C (Friendly) Destroyed in about every way!

Premier League:

Liverpool 4 - 1 Villa Destroyed in about every way!

Holiday mode:

IKF Goteberg 1- 2 Villa

Portsmouth 2 - 2 Villa

Villa 4 - 0 IKF Goteberg

Villa 1 - 2 Stoke

Villa 2 - 1 Hull

Tottenham 1 - 4 Villa

Villa 0 - 0 PSV

Villa 2 - 0 Preston

Bolton 1 - 1 Villa

I would accept that if it weren't for the Stoke result, will play more later by hand, currently in 10th position.

Just can't get it working against good teams, any ideas Yid?

Trying this tactic. It looks pretty good.

Swans - won 1-1

Leicester - drew 1-1

I was just about to switch but gave it another go

Morecambe won 2-0

Piacenza won 6-0

Brescia won 6-0

West Ham won 4-1 (losing 1-0 at half time, gave the boys a bollocking in the shed)

Burnley won 1-0

Bolton won 4-1

Crouch is the man

On the whole pretty good, I tried it with man city, finished 3rd with record p 21 w 14 d 3 l 4

defeats at man u, Everton, Chelsea and last game at liverpool. Won all but one game (0 0 with bolton) at home incl 4-1 over arsenal and 3-0 over man u. cheers then.

Trying this tactic. It looks pretty good.

Swans - won 1-1

Leicester - drew 1-1

I was just about to switch but gave it another go

Morecambe won 2-0

Piacenza won 6-0

Brescia won 6-0

West Ham won 4-1 (losing 1-0 at half time, gave the boys a bollocking in the shed)

Burnley won 1-0

Bolton won 4-1

Crouch is the man

check my post - we seem to have had the same results (Piacenza won by too many, Brescia 7-0, West Ham 4-1 HT 1-1) !!!!!

Just used this for the duration of the demo (went on hol most of the time) with Everton. Worked prettty well, I was 6th at the end losing 5 times all too the bigger teams big 4, Spurs, City etc. Tweaked it slightly to use as a counter tactic away from home and won 2-0 at Stamford Bridge and was robbed of a draw at the Emirates. Looks a promising tactic though!

I use an almost identical setup and am 3rd in the league after 13 games with the second strongest defence.

I find Keane works best as a deep forward role and defoe works best as a poacher.

Its worth noting that if you play a standard Dline then set your wingers to through balls and Keane will pick them up very well, he did this twice against arsenal to win 3-0.

I played with Spurs as well and I found Keane to be great on deep lying in a support role, and Defoe great in advanced forward on attack duty.

I disagree with somne of the above posts saying RB and LB should be wingbacks on automatic. This is a counter tactic they need to be back especially against the netter teams or else you will be skinned by the wingers all day long. It's OK to shoot BEA up the wing when playing lower league teams but against the best you need the back four to defend with help from the midfield and hit them on the break.

I played with Spurs as well and I found Keane to be great on deep lying in a support role, and Defoe great in advanced forward on attack duty.

I disagree with somne of the above posts saying RB and LB should be wingbacks on automatic. This is a counter tactic they need to be back especially against the netter teams or else you will be skinned by the wingers all day long. It's OK to shoot BEA up the wing when playing lower league teams but against the best you need the back four to defend with help from the midfield and hit them on the break.

It was me who said about DR, DL played as wingbacks and I think I was wrong...Playing away as Fullbacks/Support proves more solid defensively and blends the team together when creating the attack. They used to get so much forward that my wigs were experiencing congestion. Overlaps are achieved, even if you have them on FB/Support. And they become more useful when your wingers cut inside.

I tweaked the tactic a bit, giving it an asymmetrical twist. Modric plays as left winger with a support duty cutting inside, while Assou-Ekoto overlaps (FB/Support). Lennon is an out and out winger, attacking, hugging the line and Hutton covers him (FB/defend). The problem is that I cannot find space for my MCLa, because he operates in the same space as Modric and Keane, who plays as Deep fwd. So far, my left side creates all the mayhem but my right side scores the goals...crazy but soo interesting to sort out!

(I am top of the league won West Ham 4-1, Burnley 1-4, no player scored more than 2 goals)

• 1 month later...

This is a much underrated tactic - have been playing with it as Brighton who are doing very nicely 4 years into game, sitting close to top of Premier league. Two good strikers, a good shot stopper a good pacy ball passing central defenders as your spine, and this team should in general score more than them.

It was posted in the first week of FM10 so not have been as tweaked as much as others maybe.In general I find only slight adjustments are needed to accomadate pitch and opposition formation. I prefer 442 and have tinkered with a few other posts here (eg 442 vodu chaos - effective but not very attractive to look at), but always have returned to this in the end. I genuinely think it is worth another look as an effective and entertaining tactic.

Archived