Horrible horrible match engine

Was not confused, just told that what you have now is what you get in the box.

So I was confused but I wasn't confused :confused: because the answer you told me was not me being confused but was me being un-confused :confused:

Okay, there are a lot of flaws in this match engine:

You remember what caused the corner exploit, right? Goalkeepers looked like every corner that came in was a strange creature, and couldn't catch them. Well, they're like that for crosses now, too. And passes.

To balance this out, headers are very random. They go off in strange directions. One that stood out was from Mexes. He was running backwards after a shot was deflected, and, standing up, managed to flick the ball backwards with some force.

Similarly, defenders often put the ball out under little pressure, and for corners, not throw ins. It's drilled into every defender that you should always try and put the ball out for a throw in rather than a corner, and that a clearance up the pitch is even better. Why, then, is the ball put out for a corner rather than a throw in?

Players take too much time on the ball. They do that "swivel from side to side aimlessly" thing, even when they have passing options. Previously, the problem was with defenders in the main, now I find it with midfielders.

Lastly, I had Tevez fire a shot against the bar. The ball went over 30 feet (based on height of the players) into the air, hung there, and fell to earth. That doesn't add up. Plus, the bounce afterwards didn't correspond with the power of the fall.

3D match engine is still horrible when it comes to watching tackles. As unnatural as in fm09, howewet there is improvement in players interaction with the ball. Also I'd like to see some more ball being passed closer to ground.

Horrible it may be (compared actual reality), but it is still the most oustanding football simulation I've seen to the date AND it wipes the floor with previous FM MEs. That's all I could really ask for.

Compared to FM09, everything flows much smoother (both visually and in terms of football mechanics). I've only seen a couple of seemingly inexplicable blunders by the players, no goalkeeper antics at all, no insane 30-40 yard shooting with clear space in front of goal. No balls launched (literally) in orbit either, and overall shooting seems reasonable as well (except on free kicks).

Also, while it is a subjective feeling, somehow the mistakes players make are much more believable now - they no longer look like completely illogical, annoying engine glitches. I can intuitively tell the player made a wrong call, what he wanted to do, and why. It generally makes the game much easier to read, and less frustrating, even when losing.

I've still not experienced a single "the engine screwed me up on purpose" moment, and I've had a whole lot of those in previous FMs.

I think the new match engine is great. I'm seeing a lot of passes into space now, which makes attacking football a lot more attractive to look at. It's my favourite touchline instruction! One thing I'm not convinced of is tackling though. I've put tackling on aggressive and pressing on the highest setting, yet my defenders still seem to stand off even when strikers are at the edge of the box.

Absolute nonsense tbh. 09 wasn't bad, but it is inferior to FM10's, never mind FM07's.

Still struggling to understand why you liked FM07's engine so much. Im sure we've had this conversation before, but it was the first engine that forced me to play commentary only because of how much it annoyed me.

Something up with this bloke as i've started as Swindon and had my right back kick the living bejeesus out of the the Gillingham LW in the first league game to win 2-1 away.

The ME is much smoother than FM09 and in general the look is cleaner and more expansive than 09. There will always be bugs and niggles on the 1st release but SI are good at clearing these up in patches.

Spend a few days playing CM10 and then come back trust me you'll never criticise it again.

Still struggling to understand why you liked FM07's engine so much. Im sure we've had this conversation before, but it was the first engine that forced me to play commentary only because of how much it annoyed me.

I think you did say that before, and I think I answered, but I can't recall what I actually said.

I liked FM07's match engine because for me it looked the most like real life, and I was entertained by it. My personal favourite style is moving the ball quickly and using the wings. FM07 favoured this style. With the right attributes, there was a reasonable chance your wingers would beat the man and put in a cross. Strikers tended to be in the right place to head it in, and the opposite winger would be on the back post should the ball come through or if the cross was overhit.

Whether you like a match engine or not is something hard to quantify. Whether something is "realistic" or not is subjective. I could set up a team to play in a similar way to the Reading side of 2006. However, if an Arsenal fan couldn't set up a team to play like the Invincibles, he probably wouldn't like the ME as much. Likewise, a MUFC fan and the 1999 side, or whatever.

I could alter tactics with much more ease. If I wanted to make a DM more defensive minded, I'd click to the defensive section of the slider. You may think that's irrelevant, but translating tactics into the ME is as important as the ME itself IMO.

I'm told that certain short passing systems were too good. Apparently you can get a playmaker to complete 200 passes per match. I've never had figures like that. I remember seeing a player complete 40 passes and thinking that that was a lot, but never 200.

In simple terms, I liked FM07's match engine because it was dynamic, excited me and looked like real football. It was a more "complete" match engine than this one. Also, it had arrows.

My problem with FM07 was all about the defending aspects of it, which drove me to turning it off.

I'm seeing a more balanced match engine this time around where both defending and attacking are nicely pleasing.

As good as the engine may be it still has flaws...

SCIAG said most of them tbh, but the worst recent one I've noticed is the way in which my strikers which is through on goal stops when he gets to the box everytime to get dispossessed... It's like they get a nose-bleed...

It's not perfect but it's still good...

My problem with FM07 was all about the defending aspects of it, which drove me to turning it off.

I'm seeing a more balanced match engine this time around where both defending and attacking are nicely pleasing.

Defending could be a nightmare, yeah. Lone strikers running with the ball would be devastating. However, I think this was a problem with tactics, as the AI didn't seem to suffer as much. I also found that having a big guy combined with a defender with good mental attributes helped.

I'd rather have 07's defending troubles with lone strikers than FM10's massive problems with goalkeepers and headers though.

FM match engine seems to go full circle every year. Each initial version comes with a few familiar problems. Forward play is once again messed up. Yet again we have countless one on one opportunities every match for both sides. Yet again we have awkward finishing. Top strikers occasionally decide to balloon the ball from five yards when they could have just tapped it in, we have strikers refusing to release the ball until they run into goalkeepers who simply pick the ball off their feet. Then we have strikers who slow down when no-one's within ten yards of them and wait until they're tackled. Not to mention the magnetic field around the goalkeepers that makes players shoot right at them when they have the rest of the goal free to aim at.

I'm sure all these issues will be fixed in the final patch. After all, they were (nearly) fixed in 7.0.2, then they were properly fixed in 8.0.2 and then again in 9.3.0. I'm also sure it'll be once again messed up when FM11 comes out. I don't quite understand though why it has to work like this.

Archived