4-4-2 Box Midfield

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Colorado - I have decided that the club pays me wads of imaginary money to tell the players what to do on the pitch, so why let them screw me over by letting them do whatever they want? So the only guys I give any real amount of creative freedom to is my attacking midfielders since they have to be able to create. In my estimation the creative freedom slider is not like the mentality slider. With mentality, the bar set in the middle is normal, so it operates on -10 to +10 scale. Creative freedom is different (in my opinion), as how can you have -5 creative freedom? It operates on a 1 to 20 scale. With this in mind, giving a Defensive midfielder, who I want to play exactly to my instructions, a creative freedom setting of 8 is considerable. So I have one set on 3 and the other set on 5 (if I remember correctly).

As for width, I have been experimenting with different settings. When a team has clearly bunkered in, I will widen the formation to try and open up space better. I've also been going with a faster tempo as the Brazilian style is to move the ball around faster but I never had the personnel for it before.

Hey Uncle Sam, I've always liked the Brazilian Box formation (in real life and in the game). My formation has always been a 4-4-2 set up with an AML and an AMR. I'm going with the box formation for my 3rd season. I'm going to use the:

Box Midfield tactic

variation of the formation. I like this formation because it lets my wingers (Silva and Rosina) drift out to the wing. Denilson and Fabregas (as well as a very physical DM I'm hoping to buy) will be perfect in midfield. Great passing, 20 Teamwork and 20 Work rate for both of them.

I've also got speedy wingbacks in Clichy, Drenthe, Traore, Sagna, Eduardo (a different Eduardo).

For away games against big sides, I'll probably have the two CM's having an arrow to DM. Denilson can play DM whilst Fabregas can't, so I'll have to train Fabregas in that position.

I'm looking on having a good, short passing, yet faster tempo game. I believe I have the passing ability and speed to do this for the Arsenal side.

The formation you loaded up doesn't work by the way because it's a RAR file. It needs to be a TAC file to work in FM (I'm not an expert so don't take my word, it's just an observation). I'm not going to use your exact formation, I just wanted to see exactly how you set yours up, player instructions and all.

Anyway, your thread looks perfect with how you've set it up and all you've written DEFINITELLY is a good read.

The formation you loaded up doesn't work by the way because it's a RAR file. It needs to be a TAC file to work in FM (I'm not an expert so don't take my word, it's just an observation). I'm not going to use your exact formation, I just wanted to see exactly how you set yours up, player instructions and all.

Anyway, your thread looks perfect with how you've set it up and all you've written DEFINITELLY is a good read.

A .rar file is a compressed file, the tactic is inside of it. Google winrar, it's a free download, and it will help you extract the tactic files.

I am close to releasing what will be a final version, however.

Sam, this is a good piece of work, youve done the pictures and implemented them well. My Norwich team are playing quite well at home at the moment in the Premierleague but i think that we could do with some more in depth information on what players in positions need. Do we need quick or powerful strikers? Strong or technical midfielders?

Good work Sam.

After using this (and still going strong) I've won the treble (SPL, CIS Cup, Scottish Cup) and succesfully got to the EURO Cup Semi-Final and the following year the Champions Cup Semi-Final I have to say.. I love this tactic. Absolutely brilliant, the 2nd treble winning season I was ahead of Rangers by 19 points (I had 105 points). Rangers havn't beaten me in 2 seasons and I beat Juventus twice, Liverpool once and Arsenal 2-1 on aggregate. Brilliant!

Can I have some advice please guys?

I'm using my own version of this tatic with a lower division Brazilian club.

I'm playing with the DMC's with farrows and have the AMC's playing just behind the front two with side arrows.

Basically, my formation seems too stretched. The bank of 4 defenders and the 2 DMC's make us very difficult to break down and ensures that we have alot of possssion but we are not threatening enough with the ball as the two AMC and strikers are almost isolated.

The DMC attacking mentality is set to 4 and the AMC mentality is set to 10.

The passing throughout the side has been set to fairly short but because of us being stretched and weather conditions I have made us more play more direct. Whilst this help link up the AMC's with the DMC's, we risk losing possession alot more.

I'm not quite sure what to do, I hope I've explained myself well enough for someone to understand!

Cheers.

I don't like to copy other peoples tatics. I've taken tips from the thread but haven't used the exact version.

I don't think that there is much if any difference between the set up of my midfield and the one created here which is why I've asked the question.

The RAR files are archives, meaning they contain the actual files compressed within.

You need to extract the files from the archive into the tactics folder, by using an archiver program.

WinRAR and WinAce are quite popular, and 7zip is a free alternative that I believe can open RAR files as well.

I use WinAce myself...

• 1 month later...

Very very nice post Uncle Sam. I've always been a fan of argentina so I wont take up on this. I also dont take tactics from the forums i just read them for fun. Otherwise whats the point of playing the game.

I try many different things but always end up with the flat or diamond 4-4-2 because thats the only thing that ever works for me. Once in a while the 4-3-3 comes in. But usually i stick to the 4-4-2 and build my teams around it.

Anyhows, this inspires to try and implement a real life philosophy into the game. Being a Barcelona fan looking into Rykaard's dutch 4-3-3 is a good option. Even though everyone has already done that. But after the euro cup i really want to look into Guus Hiddink's philosophy.

Anyway, great post as I said gives me ideas. And i would like to know how you do with Wolfsburg after a couple of seasons building up the teams to your style.

Originally posted by Barca4ever:

Very very nice post Uncle Sam. I've always been a fan of argentina so I wont take up on this. I also dont take tactics from the forums i just read them for fun. Otherwise whats the point of playing the game.

I try many different things but always end up with the flat or diamond 4-4-2 because thats the only thing that ever works for me. Once in a while the 4-3-3 comes in. But usually i stick to the 4-4-2 and build my teams around it.

Anyhows, this inspires to try and implement a real life philosophy into the game. Being a Barcelona fan looking into Rykaard's dutch 4-3-3 is a good option. Even though everyone has already done that. But after the euro cup i really want to look into Guus Hiddink's philosophy.

Anyway, great post as I said gives me ideas. And i would like to know how you do with Wolfsburg after a couple of seasons building up the teams to your style.

Guus has changed his tactics just about everywhere he's gone. At PSV he ran a 4-3-3, which is the system I believe he prefers. When he managed Holland, they ran a variation of a 4-4-2 (4-1-3-2). With Korea he employed a 3-4-3. Australia used a 3-6-1 with wingers. So far with Russia he has opted for a 4-3-3 similar to what van Basten used with Holland (4-2-3-1).

He emphasizes fitness, because he likes to close down all over and press high up the pitch. That South Korea team smothered people in 2002. They were very fast and they played high pressure for 90 minutes. He also likes his wingers. When you watch a Hiddink team play you'll see most of the attack come from the flanks. He knows how to get his teams to exploit the space out wide.

Originally posted by Uncle_Sam:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Barca4ever:

Guus has changed his tactics just about everywhere he's gone. At PSV he ran a 4-3-3, which is the system I believe he prefers. When he managed Holland, they ran a variation of a 4-4-2 (4-1-3-2). With Korea he employed a 3-4-3. Australia used a 3-6-1 with wingers. So far with Russia he has opted for a 4-3-3 similar to what van Basten used with Holland (4-2-3-1).

He emphasizes fitness, because he likes to close down all over and press high up the pitch. That South Korea team smothered people in 2002. They were very fast and they played high pressure for 90 minutes. He also likes his wingers. When you watch a Hiddink team play you'll see most of the attack come from the flanks. He knows how to get his teams to exploit the space out wide. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ok cool, i'll take that into account. I actually havent done any research on him just on the dutch total football. Which is all about off the ball, creaticity, and flair. Only high quality teams can use it. I want a philosophy that can be used in the lower leagues as well. So I will look more into hiddik. Im sure i can find something.

• 2 weeks later...

Uncle Sam - that was absolutely sensational. I was always interested in the Brazilian approach to the game, and you have opened my eyes tremendously. Still under the illusion that they were a free-flowing attack squad, I now realise that they are a very regimental squad and that I like. I will most certainly use this (to great effect hopefully) in the Turkish Leagues. Thanks once again for a great post, and I look forward to your contributions, whether they be in Fm08 or Fm09.

uncle sam - just wondering what type of training you have set up for your players with this formation?

I setup my training by position. The tactic actually helps to easily divide up your training schedules.

The training schedules I have are: Goalkeepers, Center Backs, Wing Backs, Holding Mids, Attacking Mids, Target Striker, Quick Striker.

The goalkeeper schedule is fairly standard, as is the center back schedule. The Wing Back schedule is actually quite balanced with the highest priority on Set Pieces (for crossing) followed by defending.

The Holding Mids has the highest priority on Defending. With the Attacking Mids the priority is on Attacking and followed closely by Ball Control.

As for the Strikers, the Target Striker has intensive training in Attacking and Shooting and a high Strength training. The Quick Striker is a little more balanced with the highest priorities being Shooting, Attacking, and Aerobic.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

First of all, cudos to Uncle Sam for the amazing tactic

I am using Everton and want to try playing without wingers.

so i decided to use the Box midfield shape accompanied by the tactical

instructions in the TTF 08 thread by wwfan and it is working a trip.

i actually use only 1 true def mid, i have arteta on the other DMC who is a creative, build up from the back, killer ball playmaker.

my 2 AMCs, one is tim cahil, who plays like a 3rd striker and the other is more of another link up man to try through balls for the other 3 forward players...

it is working a trip, i use 2 small strikers... so one is seat to play off the shoulder of the last defender.. the other is the target man, to receive ball to feet with lower mentality.

lots of slick passing in the final 3rd of the pitch, even a occassional pass to the advancing DMCs to try a long shot at goal, when the other forwards have dragged the defenders out of position....

the fullbacks run forward to support the attack, more as a passing outlet to stretch the defense and midfield more, but i set their crossing to mixed, cos i have a small forward line, Tim Cahil is the best in the air i have and at 1.78m tall he is hardly a beast.. hahhaha

THX, Uncle sam. I saw the " Box " formation whilst looking @ the Brazil U-20's and thought " Hey i might try that ". So i just thought i'd see if anyone else had tried something on the same kinda idea and found your " 4-2-2-2 box " formation thread. Most of your ideas i kinda had implemented already in my head, but actually just seeing these put down on " paper " makes understanding things alot easier. As you say in your thread subtle changes here and there, (Depending on opposistion, player's ability etc etc) work well for me, and i have about 5-6 formations based on the Brazil 4-2-2-2.

Just a quick bit of info on the team i'm using and how things are going :

Team : Crewe , League 1, England

GK : Artur Kotenko

DR : Miguel Rebosio / Danny Woodards

DL : Ryan Lynch / Chris McCready

DC : Jack Hobbs

DC : Esmir Sabic / Daniel O'Donnell

DMC : Damien Plessis / MC: Da Mota

DMC :Seyfo Soley / MC :Gary Roberts

AMC : Alex

AMC : Adnan Alisic

ST : Winston Parks / Alex Fernandez

ST : Nicky Maynard / Lee Barnard

This is my basic line-up, because of the versatility of my DEF and MID , most players fit in " Any " postion , Just waiting til the Transfer Window when i have Pablo Herrera (DR,WBR,MR,AMR,DL,WBL,ML,AML) all Natural postions !! and Marvin Angulo (DR,WBR,MR,AMR) again all Natural postions !! , coming 2 me, so that sholud give me a solid back 4 , with various options 2 play the WBR + WBL formations

So far i've just finished my 1st season in League 1 with massive ammounts of success ( pld 46, W30, D11, L5, For 95, AG 37, G.D + 58, Pts 101 ). I finshed 1st ,13pts clear of Swansea. :D With a 28 match unbeaten run !!

It took my team the 1st 4 or 5 games to get used to the formation, but after that i was gobsmacked how well they moulded together. I love watchin them pass the ball about, using the short passing, slow tempo, narrow width options. ( making the opposistion chase around like headless chickens LOL. )

What i found with this formation is that they seem 2 play much more as a " TEAM " , they all seem 2 complement each other nicely. Anyway i could go on for ages discussing tiny lil details, but then there would be no fun in playin the game, so i'm just gonna crack right on with the next season and see how well my team fairs against stronger opponents. I can see me having 2 play the 2 DMC's and 2 MC's instead of the 2 MC's and 2 AMC's more often but should be still great 2 watch.

A truly awesome and VERY well presented thread Uncle_Sam, look forward 2 reading some of your posts when FM09 finally comes out !

Oh and 1 quick last thing i forgot 2 mention , i played Liverpool in a pre-season frendily and Man City in the cup, using the GK,DC,DC,WBR,WBL,DMC,DMC,MC,MC,AMC,ST formation and it worked a treat, beat Liverpool 3-1 ( they used a VERY strong line up Gerrard,Alonso,Torres etc ) and managed a 2-2 draw with Man City. (which they eventually won on penalties :( ...... but hey for a 1st season try, i can truly say MISSION ACCOMPLISHED, bring on the Championship !!!!!

I've recently tried to implement my own box formation with my Arsenal team and the results have been mostly good. The only thing that concerns me is how poor my possesion generally is. I know people say that it is unwise to pay too much attention to possesion as long as you are winning, but being a perfectionist I want to solve my problem of low possesion throughout games.

I play very very short passing and have tried playing very slow but have recently tried upping my tempo a little.

unclesam and others - what do you find key to ensuring high possesion throughout games??

• 8 months later...

Hi Uncle_Sam

Great thread

I am just in the process of setting up my liverpool side in a 3-5-2 formation

I know you stated you prefer the 4-2-2-2 brazilian setup - so that is what you covered

However you also mentioned that 3-5-2 is very common in Brazil - so seeing you have all this information on their tactics/formations, would you mind sharing some of those as well ?

Thanks in advance :)

Hi Uncle_Sam

Great thread

I am just in the process of setting up my liverpool side in a 3-5-2 formation

I know you stated you prefer the 4-2-2-2 brazilian setup - so that is what you covered

However you also mentioned that 3-5-2 is very common in Brazil - so seeing you have all this information on their tactics/formations, would you mind sharing some of those as well ?

Thanks in advance :)

In Brazil, the 3-5-2 is more like a 5-3-2. To replicate the Brazilian 3-5-2 in FM, you would drop one of the holding midfielders to center back and advance the fullbacks to wing backs. You will see FM teams in Brazil line up this way. Example:

CoritibaFC.png

Scolari played with this formation in winning the 2002 World Cup. You can see the attacking midfielders are the same, but a DM has been dropped onto the back line and the fullbacks have been moved up. The theory behind it is simple: The added defender frees up the wing backs to be more aggressive going forward. Obviously it worked for Scolari and Brazil.

In Brazil, the 3-5-2 is more like a 5-3-2. To replicate the Brazilian 3-5-2 in FM, you would drop one of the holding midfielders to center back and advance the fullbacks to wing backs. You will see FM teams in Brazil line up this way. Example:

CoritibaFC.png

Scolari played with this formation in winning the 2002 World Cup. You can see the attacking midfielders are the same, but a DM has been dropped onto the back line and the fullbacks have been moved up. The theory behind it is simple: The added defender frees up the wing backs to be more aggressive going forward. Obviously it worked for Scolari and Brazil.

Thanks a mill Uncle_Sam

I was thinking of that and have to say this 3-5-2 formation has me very exited, just love the flexibility it gives through the various changes you can make even moving one player such as DMC to MC or MC to AMC or 2 MC to AMC or WBR/L to MR/L or MR/L to AMR/L

I think mine will be based slightly different as standard and I will tweak it depending on who I am playing so for standard it would simply just be 3 DC's 3 MC's 1 MR and 1 ML and two ST.

Plus then one of the MC's (most defensive MC) would have a barrow and one (most attacking) a farrow.

But I then plan to tweak it to the opposition so for example

1. Opposition, plays mainly through the centre and has very poor wingers = would give both MR + ML farrows

2. Opposition has one strong wing and one weak wing = would have MR (strong side) with a barrow and ML (weak opp side) with a farrow

Two videos I would strongly recommend (in case you haven't seen them) anyone who is interested in this sort of formation (or in general in formations) is

1. http://www.elitesoccerconditioning.com/3-5-2/3-5-2illustration.htm

This video shows how the players in another type of 3-5-2 should be moving around with the ball - it is really interesting as there is hardly a single part of the pitch where they do not out number the opposition - I call it the cross - cause it has

DC - DC - DC

DMC

ML MC MR

AMC

ST ST

Actually looks like a little man doesnt it :D

The 2nd video is from the uefa training ground and is very Roy Hudgson explains how he used to play it and how england played it in the 90's which again was a bit different

England used to play

GK

DC1 DC2 DC3

DMC

ML MC MC MR

ST ST

What I like from this video is that in this setup, DC1 was Gery Neville who had large experience playing as DR and DC3 was Stuart Pierce who has large experience playing DL so when the right wing was under threat DC3 would move out to deal with it, DC2 would move to DC3 place and DMC (Paul Ince) would fall back to space DC2 - in effect making it a 4-4-2 for defensive purposes.

Anyway here is the link

http://www.uefa.com/trainingground/index.html#34002/128/519239

As I said I will be altering mine a bit from this - but also depending on the opponents strenght and weaknesses - Also as I have been very fortunate with the players I have available/been able to sign, as all 3 of my AMC / ML and MR can all pass the ball/cross it and have long shooting skill's I feel I have much flexibility when going forward - so planning on tweaking that to max use.

Anyway again thanks a million for all your help and any more feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a mill Uncle_Sam

I was thinking of that and have to say this 3-5-2 formation has me very exited, just love the flexibility it gives through the various changes you can make even moving one player such as DMC to MC or MC to AMC or 2 MC to AMC or WBR/L to MR/L or MR/L to AMR/L

I think mine will be based slightly different as standard and I will tweak it depending on who I am playing so for standard it would simply just be 3 DC's 3 MC's 1 MR and 1 ML and two ST.

Plus then one of the MC's (most defensive MC) would have a barrow and one (most attacking) a farrow.

But I then plan to tweak it to the opposition so for example

1. Opposition, plays mainly through the centre and has very poor wingers = would give both MR + ML farrows

2. Opposition has one strong wing and one weak wing = would have MR (strong side) with a barrow and ML (weak opp side) with a farrow

There are also several variations in FM in Brazil. You will see the standard 3-5-2 on occasion, and you'll see the following 5-3-2 looks:

Two videos I would strongly recommend (in case you haven't seen them) anyone who is interested in this sort of formation (or in general in formations) is

1. http://www.elitesoccerconditioning.com/3-5-2/3-5-2illustration.htm

This video shows how the players in another type of 3-5-2 should be moving around with the ball - it is really interesting as there is hardly a single part of the pitch where they do not out number the opposition - I call it the cross - cause it has

DC - DC - DC

DMC

ML MC MR

AMC

ST ST

Actually looks like a little man doesnt it :D

The 2nd video is from the uefa training ground and is very Roy Hudgson explains how he used to play it and how england played it in the 90's which again was a bit different

England used to play

GK

DC1 DC2 DC3

DMC

ML MC MC MR

ST ST

What I like from this video is that in this setup, DC1 was Gery Neville who had large experience playing as DR and DC3 was Stuart Pierce who has large experience playing DL so when the right wing was under threat DC3 would move out to deal with it, DC2 would move to DC3 place and DMC (Paul Ince) would fall back to space DC2 - in effect making it a 4-4-2 for defensive purposes.

Anyway here is the link

http://www.uefa.com/trainingground/index.html#34002/128/519239

As I said I will be altering mine a bit from this - but also depending on the opponents strenght and weaknesses - Also as I have been very fortunate with the players I have available/been able to sign, as all 3 of my AMC / ML and MR can all pass the ball/cross it and have long shooting skill's I feel I have much flexibility when going forward - so planning on tweaking that to max use.

Anyway again thanks a million for all your help and any more feedback would be greatly appreciated.

If you're talking about England under Glenn Hoddle, then yes they played a 3-5-2. But really, the outside midfielders like Beckham and Le Saux played deeper, like wing backs. It worked brilliantly for them with Beckham being able to cross from deep.

The main difference between the formations being the style of play employed by Brazil. The short passing, quick ball movement, etc.

Anyway, for those interested, this is the 4-4-2 Box Midfield set I am currently using in my game.

There are also several variations in FM in Brazil. You will see the standard 3-5-2 on occasion, and you'll see the following 5-3-2 looks:

If you're talking about England under Glenn Hoddle, then yes they played a 3-5-2. But really, the outside midfielders like Beckham and Le Saux played deeper, like wing backs. It worked brilliantly for them with Beckham being able to cross from deep.

The main difference between the formations being the style of play employed by Brazil. The short passing, quick ball movement, etc.

Anyway, for those interested, this is the 4-4-2 Box Midfield set I am currently using in my game.

Why's your link redirecting me to a real estate site?

Weird, I'm not sure. Try it now, should be fixed.

Keeps sending me there, although this time the site has no error, like it did last time I checked. That improved. But I still don't want to buy a house, just wanna try your tactics. :D

Keeps sending me there, although this time the site has no error, like it did last time I checked. That improved. But I still don't want to buy a house, just wanna try your tactics. :D

Did you click the link in my original post (#143), or the one you quoted? I changed the link in my post but I can't edit yours.

Did you click the link in my original post (#143), or the one you quoted? I changed the link in my post but I can't edit yours.

Oh, stupid me. Never mind. Thanks, I'm gonna bang my head on the wall so I learn.

By the way. I used your fm 08 version of the tactics in fm 09 and it worked pretty well. That's why I wanna try this version your using. I'm still (since December) struggling to create my own tactic. Read everything I could and it still doesn't work.

Archived