Mirror Football blog no.2

So it looks like they're going to give us something else to ignore: back room staff with monthly meetings you can attend.

So now i'll be ignoring the press conferences, my ass man and now the back room staff (as the first two were useless in FM2009)..

Can i take it that you've actually worked on the ass man and the press conferences before introducing yet another new feature that will probably be rubbish, based on past experiences?

This sounds like an excellent idea in theory and something that will potentially be very useful for me, I've always felt there's been a lack of feedback from the game about why things are/aren't working (particularly tactically). All that remains is to see the execution of the idea. Roll on the demo.

I also agree with those above saying there is a lot of info to go through, any change of some filters?

they do seem like good additions but how can we act on them

I've raised this point in the blog 1 and blog 2 threads, but it hasn't been answered so far.

Some of the "Advice" isn't really advice at all and just summarises statistics which you can find out the long way if you wished. It's great to have a summary of course, but it would be beneficial to have some actual advice you can act on programmed by the people who created the match engine. Obviously i don't want everything handed on a plate to me, but things like "Forest Green play a normal defensive line" need following up with some Assistant Manager advice.

I think I've judged this new feature too soon. I was worried that this would make it too easy to win, but it's not information that you can't get it yourself if you dig a little. And I think this feature reflects the reality.

There are a lot of managers IRL that spend their time before a match watching videos of the next opponent and getting advice from their staff, and this can be correct or not (and I hope that the backroom staff will be wrong in the game, even in major teams). Like it's going to happen with this feature. And, as all the features, it's an advice that we decide to take it or not, in the end.

• SI Staff
I've raised this point in the blog 1 and blog 2 threads, but it hasn't been answered so far.

Some of the "Advice" isn't really advice at all and just summarises statistics which you can find out the long way if you wished. It's great to have a summary of course, but it would be beneficial to have some actual advice you can act on programmed by the people who created the match engine. Obviously i don't want everything handed on a plate to me, but things like "Forest Green play a normal defensive line" need following up with some Assistant Manager advice.

You've missed read the text slightly. Its says "Forest Green do well against teams who play a normal defensive line", in this example in the players current tactic they are playing a normal defensive line. This comments only appears if the opposition do well against the tactics you are using, meaning you might want to alter your defensive line in the upcoming match. There are also comments pointing out what tactics the opposition struggle against and thus you might want to adopt your tactics to use these instructions.

You've missed read the text slightly. Its says "Forest Green do well against teams who play a normal defensive line", in this example in the players current tactic they are playing a normal defensive line. This comments only appears if the opposition do well against the tactics you are using, meaning you might want to alter your defensive line in the upcoming match. There are also comments pointing out what tactics the opposition struggle against and thus you might want to adopt your tactics to use these instructions.

Thanks for clearing that up John :thup:

So i assume if i was playing a high defensive line in my tactic and was playing say, Sheffield United that weekend, the message would read "Sheffield United do well against teams who a high defensive line" ?

I'm definitely looking forward to seeing what advice is given and what hints/tips are there, but was just a little curious as to whether there will be practical advice i can implement :)

In reality though, would a Conference manager really be getting that sort of advice from his backroom staff? Your upcoming opposition usually do well against teams playing a normal defensive line? That seems a bit far-fetched to me.

(I should say that the general idea of backroom staff feedback is a good one, though!)

I have a request. I can't view pics in work and can't view the Mirror blog either, i'm rarely online in the evenings, so I actually have no idea what this feature is :D Is there any chance a mod or SI employee could start a sticky with a wee list of new features, adding to it as they are announed?

In reality though, would a Conference manager really be getting that sort of advice from his backroom staff? Your upcoming opposition usually do well against teams playing a normal defensive line? That seems a bit far-fetched to me.

(I should say that the general idea of backroom staff feedback is a good one, though!)

I would imagine that the quality of Coaches and Assistant Manager would have some effect though (i think it's mentioned somewhere in the thread too).

Elrithral:

Can't really help with the screenshots, but for this one at least, here's the text:

Yesterday, on the first Football Manager 2010 features blog, I mentioned for the first time the new 'backroom advice' feature, with a little screenshot to whet your appetite.

Over the next two days I'll be going into more detail with the new feature, and also talk about how assistant manager feedback has been improved for FM2010, as they are linked together in many ways.

The idea of the 'backroom advice' part of the game is to ensure that the manager is better informed about what is going on at their team, and to get help with areas that they might be missing out on.

You can call a backroom meeting at any point, and they will bring up any things that they wish to discuss.

Once a month, they will call a meeting, and you can attend, or decide not to. So it's not something you have to use, but we think you'll find it useful and easy to use. They'll also come to you requesting a meeting on your first day in the job, pre-season and pre-match.

For a start, when one of the backroom staff suggests something, there is a one click button to say that you want to use the advice. So, say one of your coaches recommends that one of your players game could benefit by being asked to learn how to play a simple passing game, there will be a button there for you to click, and the coach will do the rest. You won't have to go to the players interaction screen, and choose the option yourself.

There's a wealth of information that your backroom staff will come to you with. I'm not going to reveal everything here, as you'll have to play the demo and the game to find out the full extent, but the kind of things they come to you with are:

* Staff and player recommendations for spaces in the back-room and the squad, both at first team and youth levels

* Recommending set piece takers and potential captains

* Tactical advice pointing out advantages and weaknesses that the opposition have over your team

* Stats about your own team that will help you with your own tactics

* Advice about player interaction - both your own players, and ones that you might be looking at

* Advice about transfer status and contracts of your own players

* Recommendations about training for individual players

* Youth development recommendations

* Comparing your squad against others in the division on things like pace, technique and age

* Recent form

* Training improvements and drops

* Squad weaknesses

* Areas which a scout should be assigned to

* Best formation (based on the players at the club)

And many many more!

In tomorrow's blog, I'll be looking at how your staff affect the validity of the backroom advice, and also looking at some changes in how you and the assistant manager interact in the game.

Archived