FM10: Milan Badelj

Had a nosey, but haven't managed to find a thread on this rather underrated player.

I know most will say 'never Madrid quality', but it was late in January, I needed versatility after messing up on signing Albin, I didn't want to spend much but I wanted a decent passing midfielder. He seemed to tick all boxes, he cost me £3m without negotiating (scout report said £1.7m, but they asked for £3m and I was desperate). Anyway, I signed him purely to play in the league so Alonso could play the big European games at 100% and he did not disappoint. He managed to grab a few assists and scored a screaming first goal, I've played him in central midfield as either an advanced playmaker (support) or a deep lying playmaker, I've not tried him out wide as I like quick players out wide.

Anyway, he's a good, versatile player with some tidy PPM's, he plays across the midfield, he's cheap and he has solid potential, I won't put any spoilers up, those who comment can do that if you like.

2uzcxw4.jpg

Amazing player for ALL teams.

No matter who you are, he will be a great signing. Back-up for United, Star player for Portsmouth or as you said, a versatile player for Madrid.

He will always perform! Great that you created a thread on him.

I agree. Well, I bought him to play in central midfield, he was paired with either Moussa Sissoko or Lass Diarra, so it was all about his ability. As you can see, his technique, anticipation, passing, first touch and creativity all support his style of play. He's good, he regularly 'picks the lock' and he can be bought for dirt cheap.

Background on this guy:

Starts off at NK Dinamo Zagreb with some other hot shot croatians such as mario madzukic, andrej kramaric, ivan tomekac and Dejan lovern.

Is a natural AM LRC and can play in every role in the player roles section. If you don't get him in the first season his value sky rockets and one of the big clubs will come in for him.

Play him predominatly as an AMC in the inside fwd or advanced playmaker role on attack duty and he will score and pull the strings.

For prem teams you MAY need a work permit appeal, i'm not sure as i usually don't buy non-EU/not guarenteed a WP players as i hate losing 3 years on their career to a polish team

how he performs at inside forward?

I've never tried. I think he'd be more suited to 'advanced playmaker' if he's being used on the left, but you might want to put his crossing down to 'sometimes', or whatever suits you. Just buy him and give him a go, I'm sure he'll do well. He has 'places shots' and 'curls ball' as his PPM's I THINK, so he may do well cutting inside.

Background on this guy:

Starts off at NK Dinamo Zagreb with some other hot shot croatians such as mario madzukic, andrej kramaric, ivan tomekac and Dejan lovern.

Is a natural AM LRC and can play in every role in the player roles section. If you don't get him in the first season his value sky rockets and one of the big clubs will come in for him.

Play him predominatly as an AMC in the inside fwd or advanced playmaker role on attack duty and he will score and pull the strings.

For prem teams you MAY need a work permit appeal, i'm not sure as i usually don't buy non-EU/not guarenteed a WP players as i hate losing 3 years on their career to a polish team

I never actually looked at his former teammates 'til I looked at his favourite personnel. You're right, some of his teammates look like exceptional players, Kramaric looks good and I'm sure I've seen him at big clubs on older patches, whilst that quick right back/midfielder looked good, as well as the young centre half.

I never actually looked at his former teammates 'til I looked at his favourite personnel. You're right, some of his teammates look like exceptional players, Kramaric looks good and I'm sure I've seen him at big clubs on older patches, whilst that quick right back/midfielder looked good, as well as the young centre half.

Kramaric always goes to City on mine for £14m sort of figure.

I had a dinamo save and badelj, lovern, tomekac, mandzukic and kramaric were the spine for me, a bit like LFC's old spine (Torres, gerrard, alonso, macherano, carra and reina), the key players are so consistent and work rather well. Dinamo are one of the best youth producing teams in the game and the world. If you look at some of the NK Dinamo graduates you can see how good they are: Luka Modric, Verdan Corluka, Dario Srna, Eduardo.

Even if your scout might rate some as only 1.5/2 star, always take a chance on a dinamo player as they start with state of the art youth facilities and youth academy iirc

I bought him in season 1 with Birmingham primarily because he is natural in both AMC and MC so that I can have him as my main creative CM and also act as backup for my AMC Hazard, and he's proved to be an ample replacement.

Despite his good performances and looking great stat wise (can't remember if he's two footed as well), my ass man doesn't rate him well: 2.5 stars and iirc 3 stars being the average standard for your squad. It's probably due to his CA/PA though...

I had a dinamo save and badelj, lovern, tomekac, mandzukic and kramaric were the spine for me, a bit like LFC's old spine (Torres, gerrard, alonso, macherano, carra and reina), the key players are so consistent and work rather well. Dinamo are one of the best youth producing teams in the game and the world. If you look at some of the NK Dinamo graduates you can see how good they are: Luka Modric, Verdan Corluka, Dario Srna, Eduardo.

Even if your scout might rate some as only 1.5/2 star, always take a chance on a dinamo player as they start with state of the art youth facilities and youth academy iirc

Srna played for Dinamoˇs bigest rival club Hajduk.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I will post another screenshot of him on mine.

I actually ended up selling him, not because he wasn't good enough, but he was a foreign player and eastern Europeans take years to get the EU nationality, in Spain they do anyway.

I sold him for £20m, but I did have three offers of £25m+, only for Milan to not meet his contract demands, same with Bordeaux.

A £17m profit (should have been more) in two and a half seasons can't be argued, a decent signing who helped fund my move for Yoann Gourcunt.

• 2 weeks later...

Signed him 1st season for Parma. £1.6m.

Got Serie A young player of the year & the big guns are knocking on the door!

Quality player.

Can also be retrained as DM if you need some back up.

Will look at a few of his teammates in the summer!

I signed him first season with Birmingham for £975k, and he bacame quality.

Unfortunately he became unhappy and wanted to move to a bigger club so I sold him at start of third season for £12m to Valencia :(

Managed to replace him with Pastore for £18m though

Archived