Invincible.

Indomitable.

Indestructible?

Untouchable.

That’s what the press told me.

That’s what the fans told me.

That’s what I believed.

But you know what they say.

Don’t believe everything people tell you.

I did, and it cost me more than you can possibly imagine.

Where it started is irrelevant.

Where it went wrong? Well. It went wrong. That’s all you need to know, isn’t it?

Where did it end? Here.

When did it end? Today.

It is still raw.

I am still raw.

It is a long story with a short ending.

So do I give you the long story, or the short one?

The good… or the bad?

The joy… or the pain?

The highs… or the lows?

Or just the one low? The very, very low, low.

The only important emotion.

The one I feel now.

I suppose my story is unimportant to a certain extent. It is my nemesis that instigated events.

Happiness is a function of knowledge. It is often said that those who are ignorant, the ill-informed amongst us, are blissfully unaware. They are pleased with their lot, whereas the deep thinkers and intelligent are anxious worriers that trouble and agonise over the what-ifs and maybes.

I was ill-informed.

I was ignorant.

If only I was a worrier; I may have had a chance.

I never saw it coming. When he said he wanted my job I laughed. I actually laughed. Out loud. Like some idiotic child in a chat room. LOL indeed. I am not laughing now.

I had gained promotion in my first season in charge. Then a top six place followed. Then Europe. Then three straight titles. The stuff of dreams.

I dreamed too.

Time for a pat on the back I thought. Wrong.

Time for a reward for my hard work I thought. Incorrect.

A stadium in my name? Perhaps not, but time for a new contract I thought. I was way off the mark.

To take a midtable first division side into the top flight is something any manager can do with a bit of luck. To stay there takes an extra rub of the green, but people might sit up and pay attention. To get to Europe? Ok, this guy is good they say. To win the league again and again and again? He must have something special. They tell you that and you start to believe it yourself.

But then he comes along.

Ibrahimovic Declares Interest in Dunfermline Job

31st January 2018

There was surprise in Scotland last night as former Swedish international striker Zlatan Ibrahimovic threw his hat into the ring for role as manager of league champions Dunfermline Atheltic.

Despite current incumbent Clifton Stevenson having just five months left on his three year contract, it is not thought that the Swede is a realistic candidate for the role. Ibrahimovic, who retired from football two years ago, has no experience in management. Furthermore, it is thought that negotiations are well underway for Stevenson to extend his stay at East End Park.

The prospect of being replaced by a completely inexperienced manager was laughable. I had nothing to worry about. I was Clifton Stevenson.

I was invincible.

I was indomitable.

I was indestructible.

I was untouchable.

Official Club Statement Dunfermline Athletic Football Club Ltd.

10th February 2018

Ibrahimovic Appointed Dunfermline Manager

It is with great delight that the club announces the appointment of former Swedish international striker Zlatan Ibrahimovic as manager of Dunfermline Athletic on a long-term contract

The chairman would like to go on record as thanking the efforts of previous manager Clifton Stevenson for his efforts in establishing Dunfermline as one of the top teams in Scotland, but the board now feel the time is right to bring in a new manager to take the club to the next level.

I am Clifton Stevenson

I was invincible.

I was indomitable.

I was indestructible.

I was untouchable.

I was wrong

THE END

Archived