A World Super League

sporadicsmiles

Man this is something i have always wanted to do - a super league not stuck with a league system already in existence! Okay a brief (kinda) description:

-256 teams from all over the world (literally) in 14 leagues over 7 levels (description to follow)

-3 cup competitions

-a bit of financial rejigging but mostly the financial rewards come in season 2, making season 1 a bit of a challenge.

Okay the league system is as follows:

-Premier Division: 16 teams play each other twice. The top 8 enter a playoff for the championship, the bottom 3 are relegated.

-Division 1: 16 teams play each other twice. Top 2 automatically promoted, 3rd - 6th play in playoffs for third promotion spot, bottom 4 teams are relegated.

-Division 2: 20 teams play each other twice. Top 3 auto promoted, 4th-7th play in playoffs. Bottom 4 relegated.

-Division 3: 20 teams play each other twice. Top 3 auto promoted, 4th-7th play in playoffs. Bottom 4 relegated.

-Division 4: 2 divisions of 20 teams. Top team in each automatically promoted. 2nd-5th in each play playoff against teams from same division for other 2 places. Bottom 4 from each relegated.

-Conference Divisions 1: 4 divisions of 18 teams. Top team in each automatically promoted. 2nd-5th in each play playoff against teams from same division for other 4 places. Bottom 3 from each relegated.

-Conference Divisions 2: 4 divisions of 18 teams. Top 2 teams in each automatically promoted. 2rd-6th in each play playoff against teams from same division for other 4 places. There is no relegation from this league.

-World League Cup:

256 team straight knock out competition - all in from the start.

World Conference League Cup: Knockout competition for conference division. 184 teams compete, seeded on league reputation. 112 enter in round 1, 72 in round 2.

-World League Challenge Trophy: Group stage then cup competition for top 4 divisions. 8 groups of 9 play each other twice (this is under review as it may be slightly excessive for number of games). Top two from each group qualify to knockout.

That summarises the system, for the actual teams i will post screenshots (in a later post as they are not on this computer yet). Suffice it to say there are a lot of teams from a lot of countries.

-Some Issues:

Because some of the teams are from far flung places, and this is based in england, there will be the problem of teams having no players because the database is too small. To combat this i added all players from all continents, making a huge (290000) player database. This is very slow to load and may not be ideal for low-end computers, but is worth doing so that all teams start with players.

Some of the teams are very poor, and dont seem to improve. Later versions of this may remove them

This is still under construction. I offer if now so i can get some feedback, and because i dont just want to enjoy it myself. There are a lot of things now changed so far that may be in the future.

-Some good points:

I ran this overnight (it went to 2018) with the giant 290000 player database and had some very interesting results. AC Milan relegated slowly over the seasons from Premier League to Division 4, despite selling £272million of players following first relegation.

A different winner every season of the premier league! This was my favourite part. Winners included Internacional and Genoa being the last two winners. Everton were runners up one season too.

The Cup competions also seem to get different winners each year, from any division it seems. For example Okayama FC are current champions, as are Flamengo. Runners up include Goias, LDU de Quito, Brugge. Not fashionable teams.

I will upload this tomorow (or shortly, depending on how my internet behaves) so feel free to download. If you do then give feedback. Also feel free to change it yourself, but if you do this DO NOT reupload as your own work.

Thanks, and enjoy =}.

p.s. Check this periodically for updates, because this is far from perfect as it stands, and i hope to improve it significantly! Feedback is alwasy useful tell me how to make it better!

---------------------------

here to download version 1.0 (as described above)

here to download version 2.0 (as described in post 18)

Great start you have here. Only problems so far are no clubs show on the 'job security' screen except those of English nationality. Also, you have small teams, in this example, a club from Uzbekistan are valued at 11.25M UK, Why so high? The TV money too is very high. Is that needed ? Why not set it at present UK Premiership levels and balance the leagues from there?

I'm wanting to create one myself but have come into problems. Thanks for taking the time to create this.

download to documents/sports interactive/football manager 2010/editor data. Its an xml file.

The job security i guess has to do with clubs not being set to english - they are all in the champions league too which is not ideal. i havent really had time to rigorously test this yet so i will look into that.

Big valued Uzbekistan clubs probably come from me making a typo somewhere, or failing to count digits properly =}.

The TV money is high initially because i always start the leagues like that. In the past i found that in leagues such as this it was very hard to sign players not at highly inflated prices, so i set it this way should this occur again. I can have a look in the test run I have done to see what transfers have happened, and if spending starts getting out of control.

This is the first incarnation of the database, so there are gonna be tonnes of things not right about it.

Apologies, i uploaded in a rush and rapidshare was the first thing to come to mind. I will reupload as soon as i get chance.

League positions was based on this, which i have found to be a very useful site for doing things like this. I didnt stick to it religiously it just gives me a long list of currently successful teams.

New working link in the first post.

Apologies, i uploaded in a rush and rapidshare was the first thing to come to mind. I will reupload as soon as i get chance.

League positions was based on this, which i have found to be a very useful site for doing things like this. I didnt stick to it religiously it just gives me a long list of currently successful teams.

New working link in the first post.

Thankyou for you're hard work. Thanks for the link.

UPDATE!

Okay I am stuck doing nothing this evening, I am working at a synchrotron (google it if you dont know) in Paris and dont start experiments til morning. So i did some work to fix some problems =}

- All teams made to be english - this adds reserves and U18 teams (or equivalent), makes it so that all teams are visible in the jobs section.

-The above change also means a large database alone should give all teams players. (i havent checked this fully so i may be wrong). The regens also seem to be from the teams actual country, which would be nice but i havent run this longer than 1 season.

-The challenge cup has had the length of the group stage cut in half, i decided 18 games was too many, there are now 9.

FUTURE PLANS:

-add refs from around the world. Why should english ones get all the fun. It wil improve reffing in lower leagues too.

-Sort out the TV money if this is making too many teams too rich.

-Balance finances.

Got a suggestion? Let me know.

hi there!

thanks for this impressive world league. I will be trying this out next weekend or something.

I was planning to make one of my own, for a slightly different kind of project, so was gonna ask if you could bother to explain me in what order and how to remake the english league for a different style.

I want a top league with less than 20 teams, and then different number of teams and different number of divisions on each level.

I understand how to make a league in the editor, but not how to activate the "tree" and then "deactivate" the old league system.

could you please explain to me in what order I need to do it? that would be very helpful

tnx

Chris

UPDATE!

Okay I am stuck doing nothing this evening, I am working at a synchrotron (google it if you dont know) in Paris and dont start experiments til morning. So i did some work to fix some problems =}

- All teams made to be english - this adds reserves and U18 teams (or equivalent), makes it so that all teams are visible in the jobs section.

-The above change also means a large database alone should give all teams players. (i havent checked this fully so i may be wrong). The regens also seem to be from the teams actual country, which would be nice but i havent run this longer than 1 season.

-The challenge cup has had the length of the group stage cut in half, i decided 18 games was too many, there are now 9.

FUTURE PLANS:

-add refs from around the world. Why should english ones get all the fun. It wil improve reffing in lower leagues too.

-Sort out the TV money if this is making too many teams too rich.

-Balance finances.

Got a suggestion? Let me know.

If the teams are English, all the regens will be English as well, i'm sure about this.

Are you really sure? :)

The regens are based on the location of the clubs stadium. So Barcelona may be set as an English club, but because Camp Nou is located in Barcelona, the regens will be Spanish.

I have some experience with World Leagues, and i will take the freedom to give 1 or 2 suggestions:

- Return the original countries of the clubs, so you won't end up with all regens English.

- Make all the countries from which you have clubs in the league EEC members (so you won't have to deal with work permits when buying a player)

Are you really sure? :)

The regens are based on the location of the clubs stadium. So Barcelona may be set as an English club, but because Camp Nou is located in Barcelona, the regens will be Spanish.

Actually, i must admit i'm not 100% sure.

I'm sure that in previous versions (09,08) i was making similar World Leagues and that happened.

I must try it out.

Igorchete:

You are right about the EEC member, that is something i have fogotten to do. Something for the next update. I have made a tonne of edited databases, i just have never released them previously. But with the new editor you can make your own creation, so i thought i would share. As for regens, i holiday'd a season to see what regens would come with the start of the next one, and they were correct nation - but it is only one season so i dont know yet. The problem with changing the nations to original is that in this version job vacancies dont show up for non-english clubs.

You are spot on about the work permits though, cheers for that, lots more mouse clicking tomorow =]

I have some experience with World Leagues, and i will take the freedom to give 1 or 2 suggestions:

- Return the original countries of the clubs, so you won't end up with all regens English.

- Make all the countries from which you have clubs in the league EEC members (so you won't have to deal with work permits when buying a player)

1. It doesn't matter what nation the club is, the location of the stadium is how regens are determined.

2. You don't have to bother making them EEC members, just don't put any work permit rules in your league.

Since in my ignorance i didnt know you could change work permit rules, they wont be present. Man thats good i hated doing the whole going through countries and making them EEC members. So thats good. I need to actually find the time to play this game, maybe this weekend on the eurostar home i will get the chance!

the yellow card rules need to be changed imo. its set to 2,3,4. So when a player reaches 2 yellow cards he gets a 1 match ban. then if he gets booked in his next game, hence 3 yellow cards, another 1 game ban and so on.

Very early on in the season this will leave most of your squad (mainly defenders and midfielders) almost constantly banned.

I know i can edit this myself quite easily. I just thought it mite be something u would look to change as it cripples every team hence unrealistic results due to forced team selection.

Also is it possible to remove the champions league and europa league as i now find these competitions pointless as you play the same teams week in week out in the other domestic competitions.

Another thing i am experiencing is constantly getting the "this could be your last game in charge" message. Im Man Utd and currently 6th in the league. 7 points from the top. Semi final of both domestic cups and Champs league Quarter final yet i get this message every match.

I understand it may be just down to league position as the directors only see my position as if it were the english premier league.

Is there any way the computer AI could recognise that im actually in a league with the best teams from around the world and actually doing quite well IMO. I think it would be quite harsh for anybody to be sacked because the AI thinks you should be topping the EPL when your actually in a world league with all the best teams.

Oh one more thing. How are all the league reputations set. I have just affiliated myself with Fulham which are in one of the last tiers (i think). If it was a normal league and say Fulham were in the championship, my players would have no problem going on loan to them. As they are in such a low devision, will my players overlook the team and just look at the division they are in and refuse to go. This goes for the good lower league teams buying players aswell. Its quite possible for eg. Deco leaving chelsea and signing for Fulham if this was the normal premier league. But because Fulham are in such a low devision, would this stop realistic targets for a club like that from going to them. If it does then good teams in the lower leagues are going to get really crap really fast.

Sorry to waffle on but things kept on popping into my head as i typed.

Thankyou

Also could you look into the possibilty of removing the playoff system for the premier league. Or at least cut it down to the top 4 teams if need be. Its hardly an achievement to win the league after finishing mid table. That defeats the whole object of the league. You might as well put out half arsed teams just good enough to do the job and finish 8th then win the league using your best players via the playoffs.

I dont want to sound ungreatful or anything like that. Its a great thing that you have done and i only wish i could understand the editor enough to do it myself so please dont take these comments the wrong way.

Just trying to suggest ways of making this great league even getter.

Thankyou for your time and i'll look forward to future updates :-)

StevoRobbo:

You are right the yellow card thing has been changed already for my next update - i realised when my goalkeeper got booked twice in the first 5 games (what an idiot he is!). Tbh i expect these things its my first go with this editor.

I will have a go at removing the CL and EL they are pointless its just something i didnt see as urgent right away to do. This will go in the next update.

I dont know about the 'last game in charge' message - has there been a lot of managers getting fired in your game? I really havent had time to have an in-depth play myself. I will have a fiddle with things and check who is getting sacked in my tests.

The league reputations are set just decreasing by 1 as you go down the tiers i believe. So perhpas capping them at some point would fix the last point - i can fiddle with that too. I have several long nights ahead of me with little to do anyways.

I admit the playoff thing was just there because i could have it there. I do realise there are like 5 places you can finish and not do anything - I will look into reducing it a bit. It makes it a damn sight harder to win anything tho, which i like. ALthoughi can imaging if you won 30 games in a season and were beaten by a team that scraped into 8th on the last day it would be a keyboard bashing moment.

Thank you for the feedback, everything is appreciated. I want this as good as it can be for everyone, not just myself.

GR Choke:

Download the file and place it in the following folder.

documents/sports interactive/football manager 2010/editor data

then you select the xml file when you start the game. Its called World Super Leaguev2 i believe.

I shall update you on my progress on the next update also sometime soon - it is focussing on the finances and a few other minor tweaks to remove slight oversights.

Thankyou for the reply.

Ive just finished my first season and chelsea won the league and finished 5th. I also noticed that in the playoffs its only 1 leg therefore very very hard for the away team to progress. throughout the whole draw only chelsea managed to win away (twice), quarter final 1-0 in extra time and semi final on pens after a 0-0 draw.

Ive just had a go at editing your file and am about to test. ive changed the yellow card rule to 5,10,15.

Ive also deleted the champions league and europa league entirely. I have no idea how this will effect the game but i am going to test and see what happens.

Ive also tried to reduce the competition with the groups (forgot the name) by only playing each team once, so only 8 games instead of 16. (I know this has already been done but i was messing with the original file.) I cant remember exact numbers but i got to the semi final of both domestic cups and final of champs league so i think it was something like a 70 game season. Then the world cup straight after so not really good for the players.

Ive also just played the pre season for year 2 and sent a lot of players on loan to fulham without any problems despite the league they r in so i dont think league reps or the reps of the clubs in the league are an issue.

As i said i'll do some testing with my edit and report back with any news.

Thankyou and keep up the good work!

hehehemann:

To be honest i havent played the game for more than a few games so far - i havent had the time and i only have my laptop which is slow and laggy and makes FM not fun to play. In answer there are set to default, which in retrospect is bad, they all need to be set to high, i will add it into the new update.

StevoRobbo:

I dont know if it is possible to make the end of season playoff thing two legged - or played at a neutral stadium, or even seeded. If it is not and this is annoying maybe i should just remove it altogether. It is only there at the moment because i could have it. Deleting the CL and EL i will have a play with and see what i can do.

I plan to spend some time on it tonight, i have just finished an american expansion and an australian expansion which took up a lot of time last night.

Ive read a few other comments from other super leagues and apparently the champs league and europa league are hard coded into the game so they cannot be removed. Maybe 1 way around it could be to try and change which teams get entered into the competition. If its possible try to change the rules of the champs league and europa league so that it uses the teams from the very last league you have created. That way its quite possible that the teams entering will be the ones that people wont bother managing anyway.

Like i said i dont know if this is even possible to do but it might be worth having a look.

Well once you get into the second season then just 4 teams go into the champs league and 3 into the EL, because its based in england. So its only the first season where this is an issue. If i ever get a lot of time i can always just change who is set to be in the first season.

I will put the next update on here soon, perhaps later this week, i am just playing it myself to check everything is okay.

wat i did in mine was to move the home country to a non ECC country(its easier to make a new set of nation rules, all the teams are instantly set to that nation), then i also edited the ECC and removed all the teams in my superleague

worked like a charm and was quite fast to do too

im in my second season now and qualified for the champs league again. But like you said, all the teams in it arent even good enough for the europa league due to all the best teams being from england in the game. I suppose if your not really that bothered then its probably a good thing to have. I still get all the TV and prize money for the champs league and i can use my good youth players in the games because theres no way the other teams in the comp can beat me. So really its easy money for nothing.

I started a game, was doing fantastic as Al Merreikh, then realised i was running my old original version with the 2 yellows = a ban. Goddamit!

I may still edit out the champions league, but i will need to find the time first. I also may remove the championship playoffs until there is way to say who plays who (ie 1 vs 8, 2 vs 7 etc) so it is more fair. Maybe that already happens i dont know. I have added quite a few refs to ref in the competitions, so they may pop up from time to time.

I was also thinking of extending the league with more teams. I want a world football pyramid that goes to grass roots!

Archived