Wallace v Roberts 2010

Wallace v Roberts 2010: the CSE community challenge

Danny Roberts and Paul Wallace are two legendary strikers who went on to have equally legendary managerial careers, the continuing adventures of which we will follow right here.

Career Highlights

Danny Roberts

• he scored 1089 goals in total, all of which while playing in the English Premier League
  • 178 of them were for England (from 159 caps, mostly not under my management)
  • his final game was in the Champions League final, which he scored in taking it into extra time where we won 2-1
  • he succeeded me as manager at Braintree Town.

Paul Wallace

• He scored 1073 Goals in total.
  • He scored 1069 Club goals, 4 for N. Ireland.
  • His career spanned 21 seasons.
  • He became Knockbreda Coach, and then Ass Man.

The story

With FM 2010, these two will go head to head once again. Wallace is to take control of Stalybridge Celtic and Roberts will become manager of Basingstoke Town.

Every year, both endure a traumatic change. A new member of the forum comes in and takes them over, guiding them through the next season, before they in turn are replaced, ad infinum.

This of course means that everything changes. Their strategies change. Their opinions on players change. Their approaches to scouting, dealing with the press, heck, we could go on - it changes, every year. The one thing of which we can be sure, is success; eventually. With the combined - if conflicting - skills of the forum behind them, it is surely inevitable. Right here, we'll read all about it.

You can read a summary of the previous incarnation (FM2009) here.

But who will be the most successful?

On the one side, we have Stalybridge Celtic, otherwise affectionately known as the Northern Monkeys. On the other side, we have Basingstoke Town, or as they are now also known, the Southern Softies.

It works like this

• Two distinct games will be started, one starting out in the Blue Square North (Monkeys), one in the Blue Square South (Softies).
  • Fictional players will be used so no advantage can be gained.
  • Various forum members who have signed up will take control of the teams, one at a time.
  • Each participant has a week to 10 days at most to complete one season only (note this may be less during holidays, when there’s high demand). If they haven't, they will upload it for the next guy to continue from that point.
  • When the season is effectively over (the end of May works well), the person in the hot seat must save and upload it for the next player.
  • If Wallace or Roberts are sacked whoever is responsible has to own up to their inadequacy, and the next person takes over at that point, until the end of the NEXT season.
  • Players must read and stick to the rules set out below.

Rules for playing the game

When it’s your turn:

• Each player will control the club for a maximum of one season at a time.
  • Your season should be completed within 7 - 10 days, but everyone is encouraged to be as quick as they can. This thread thrives on momentum.
  • You must use compressed saving. This reduces the size of the file, hence upload/download times and ensures no-one can use nasty external scouting utilities.
  • Please use auto save. It’s disappointing when people lose their game and have to replay or give up.
  • You must be using the latest available patch (10.3).
  • Everyone has other commitments. If you feel you can’t complete the season, please let us know so we can work out how best to progress.

When you’re finished:

• The game must be saved after the final game of the season, and no later than May 31.
  • The save game file must then be uploaded for the next player (using filefront, megaupload or similar)

Signing players:

• Each manager has a free reign over signings. However, be sensitive in regards to players that other participants have said they like, or who've been at the club a while...be courteous and engage in some conversation before making anything that looks like a big decision.
  • To sign a player, you must be able to scout them, this doesn't mean you have to do so; just he must be accessible to your scouts. If you have a foreign player on a free transfer who is willing to come on trial, you do not need to be able to scout them.

What’s considered cheating:

• No external utilities such as FMScout can be used. This is for fun and is meant to be tough, remember that you’re messing it up for others if you use these.
  • Please do not exploit flaws in the game by offering out players for free if the chairman accepts a bid that you're not happy with...chairman interference is part of the game and needs to be accepted. You may of course, try to offer them to clubs for more cash if you think that's appropriate.
  • Downloaded tactics may not be used. Each player should create their own tactics for their team. It's not meant to be easy and does of course give you greater bragging rights when you do well.
  • Corner exploits - don't even think about it.
  • Parent clubs: please do not use loans from parent clubs. It’s been found they can provide some sides with a large advantage. You may have as many feeder clubs as you like.

General stuff:

• If you have signed a young player or brought them through the youth academy, you may use the nickname function to give them a sensible name of your choosing. You can then ask for progress reports on such players in future seasons.
  • Subsequent managers can sell these players as they see fit, but again as a courtesy please discuss first.
  • Players may ask advice on new signings, tactics etc from their adoring (or spiteful, depending how they get on) public.

Rules of the thread

This is an interactive thread with a large number of forum members who take a keen interest in the ups and downs of both teams. Therefore if you're taking part:

• Report on you progress as often, and in as much detail, as you can.
  • Screenshots of absolutely anything are encouraged. Anything you think is relevant...take a look at some of the contributions from experienced Wallace or Roberts managers for ideas...top players, best signings, league tables, results etc are all good.
  • At the start of the season, try to provide at least the following: the board's expectations; your OWN expectations; your predictions for top scorer; club players of the year and a young player to watch.
  • At the end of the season, provide a summary of the season, with screenshots. Also provide some feedback to the next person, with a discussion of which players to keep, sell, and potential signings.

If you want to take part

Just post your interest in the thread. New participants are always welcome and will usually be given priority when it comes to starting a new season.

How to Post a Screenshot

• While in FM, press Alt and F9
  • A picture will be saved to a screenshots folder, in the FM10 folder in your documents
  • Upload the image to an image hosting website such as Photobucket
  • Post the direct Url to the image here.

How to Add Links

At the top of the forum, go to 'quick links' then 'edit options'. At the bottom, select 'enhanced interface' and save the changes. This will give you access to the extra posting tools that make it easier to post links. Once you've done this, highlight the word you wish to turn into a link, then use the link button (looks like a little globe) to paste in the direct Url to your screenshot.

Finally, massive thanks to bermybhoy, as without him none of this would have been possible :thup:

• Replies 966
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Story So Far

Northern Monkeys - Stalybridge Celtic

Year     Manager               Division/Position          Achievements
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
2009/10  PaulHartman71         [url="http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii284/paulhartmanhardy/S1-REVIEW1.jpg"]BSN - 1st[/url]                  [color=red]Promoted[/color]
2010/11  rancer890             [url="http://img444.imageshack.us/img444/9662/bluesquarepremier.png"]BSP - 11th[/url]
2011/12  Greasy Chip Butty     [url="http://i701.photobucket.com/albums/ww19/greasy_chip_butty/Wallace%20vs%20Roberts%20Season%203/Table.jpg"]BSP - 9th[/url]                  FA Trophy finalists
2012/13  rlipscombe            [url="http://i554.photobucket.com/albums/jj404/rlipscombe/Monkeys%202012-13/46tableapril.jpg"]BSP - 5th[/url]                  [color=red]Promoted via playoffs[/color]
2013/14  hasdgfas              [url="http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4043/4616528829_276c2671a1_b.jpg"]League 2 - 15th[/url]            
2014/15  brambleten            [url="http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s184/brambleten/FM/FM10/Monkeys/Coca-ColaLeague2-7.png"]League 2 - 5th[/url]             [color=red]Promoted via playoffs[/color]

Southern Softies - Basingstoke Town

Year     Manager               Division/Position          Achievements
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
2009/10  Lower Leagues Rule    [url="http://img245.imageshack.us/img245/6089/bluesquaresouth3.png"]BSS - 8th[/url]                  
2010/11  Tactic Master         [url="http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y134/dafuge/LeagueTable-8.jpg"]BSS - 1st[/url]                  [color=red]Promoted[/color]
2011/12  Holyehsauce/dafuge    [url="http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y134/dafuge/BlueSquarePremierLeague-10.png"]BSP - 3rd[/url]                  Playoff finalists
2012/13  Cardiovascular        [url="http://i454.photobucket.com/albums/qq266/Cardiovascular_photo/BlueSquarePremier-8.png"]BSP - 6th[/url]
2013/14  Dees-Blake            [url="http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/9662/bluesquarepremier.png"]BSP - 1st[/url]                  [color=red]Promoted[/color]
2014/15  Polar Bear            [url="http://i1016.photobucket.com/albums/af288/delicatemoth/Softies%2014-15/Coca-ColaLeague2-13.png"]League 2 - 1st[/url]             [color=red]Promoted[/color]

Reserves List (order is negotiable)

Northern Monkeys

PaulHartman71

DennisIran

DodgeeD

rancer890

bermybhoy

brettney1980

ssestig

brambleten

HarryS

Demon4

Greasy Chip Butty

Almondo

hasdgfas

rlipscombe

Southern Softies

Lower Leagues Rule

berty1978

mag man

dafuge

Chin2112

Holyehsauce

Cardiovascular

Oxslow

elliotick

Tactic Master

Dees-Blake

lilmonkeyleue

Before I get rocking, I play to the day of the last game for the club correct, and then the next Roberts will step in from there right?

Yes. You can play a bit longer if you really want to, but it is in the interests of the next manager to pass the game on as soon as possible, so the day after your last game is the ideal time to save it and pass it on.

nice to see this up and running :)

checking out where i am in the list of proceedings, if everyone takes a week, i'll be taking my turn a week into exam leave, which is something i dont really want to be doing, which means that the earliest i could take my go is the beginning of July without compromising the most important exams of my life.

sorry for screwing with the orders, but i figured it better to say something now than to leave it till a couple of weeks before i had to take my go

Danny Robert's Southern Softies

30.jpg&w=150&q=95

Blue Square South 2009/10

July/August 2009

The Friendlies

at Northwood 2:0

Avery (9), Gibson (81)

vs Stevenage 1:4

Moore (45+1)

at Tooting & Mitcham 2:1

Gibson (47,75)

at Croydon 1:0

Moore (17)

vs GH Academy 1:3

Gibson (31)

at Neath 0:0

vs Reading 0:2

I was rather disappointed with our friendlies, we desperately need to work on this before the beginning of the actual season.

The Squad

It was always going to be hard to strengthen the squad when we started the season already over the wage budget. We have expectations of a Mid Table Finish, but the quality of the squad at the start of the season was relegation strugglers. I hope I have done enough.

GK: Kevin Henry - We are really week at the back.

DR: Ian Millward - He is good at right back, but again not great.

DL: Gavin Devlin - The left back was good enough to stay.

DL/ML: Jonathan Williams - Solid and cover for two spots.

DC: Harry White - Solid, but not great.

DC: Jeffrey O'Boyle - A great loan signing from Reading.

DC: Stuart Laird - He is solid, but not great also.

MR: Jack Lamb - The best right wing, he can run, he can cross, thats about all.

ML: Nick Wilde - The left side is very weak and I am hoping to strengthen more.

MC: Brian Bridges - I brought him in on a free to attempt to strengthen the middle.

MC: Glen Avery - A young physically strong midfielder.

MRC: Nick Pears - Strengthening by a loan, needed something with no wages.

ST: David Moore - We were strong up front before I even joined the club, so I left the three players there.

ST: Harry Clark - The other strong Striker is one to watch, he should score a lot once we get going.

These guys are my team I believe i can get to avoid relegation, its really all I am worried about in season one.

The First League Games

08.08 at Hampton & Richmond 0:1

We had a poor start to the season here, I was actually happy to only go down by one goal, we were terrible as shown by zero shots on target.

11.08. vs Weston-super-Mare 0:3

Our trip back home was even worse than our first match. We were unlucky to have so many goals scored against us, but I was not hopeful of this.

15.08 vs Chelmsford 0:1

Finally a game where we truly looked competitive, hopefully we can continue like this game and show our skill keeping it close. Still no goals yet in our team, this is not good. Also the number of games in August is insane.

17.08 at Worcester 1:1

Clark (9)

We finally scored a goal as we took the lead at Worcester after just 9 minutes, it was a great goal and showed that we do have the skill to put it together. Just 2 days later we played our 4th game in 9 days and managed our first league point.

22.08 vs Maidenhead 1:2

Clark (54)

Clark added his second goal for the club, he is setting himself up as our top goalscorer already. I was disappointed as we went down two nil, when we pulled one back it looked like we might get another point, but we just couldn't complete the deal.

29.08 at Havant & W 0:2

Well we travelled and were hoping for a turning of our fortunes, but it was never going to come if we didn't complete our chances or get our shots on target, we also need some more possession. I have some things to work on and I have worked on some new tactical moves for the next game.

31.08 vs Dorchester 3:0

Clark (39), OG (62), Moore (79)

It has taken a whole month and seven games, but we have finally scored our first victory. We defeated Dorchester, fellow relegation battlers, easily in control of possession, shots, passing was good. This is the sort of game I hope we can play from here onwards.

So as you can all imagine these results do not leave us very well off in the league, I am glad we have finally managed to grab a victory, but 4 points from 7 games was always going to leave us at the bottom. We do have a solid base starting to show through and we can build on this and slowly move up the table.

League Table

Season Tickets

If anyone wants any other screenshots just ask and I will produce them all :)

Tough start to the season, hopefully things will pick up once the squad starts to settle. Looks like avoiding relegation and rebuilding the squad are the aims for this season then.

Harry Clark looks like a decent player for this level, looks like he could be our key player this season :thup:

Tough start to the season, hopefully things will pick up once the squad starts to settle. Looks like avoiding relegation and rebuilding the squad are the aims for this season then.

Harry Clark looks like a decent player for this level, looks like he could be our key player this season :thup:

Start of the season we were spending 725 on wages, with a budget of 700 (Its now lifted a little), and we are 300 p/w over it. But yeah Clark is going to be the key player, i just need to get the rest to help him out more.

Start of the season we were spending 725 on wages, with a budget of 700 (Its now lifted a little), and we are 300 p/w over it. But yeah Clark is going to be the key player, i just need to get the rest to help him out more.

Perhaps a decent left winger might do the trick as Clark should be pretty good in the air (if he's lucky enough for the ball to bounce off his head into the goal).

5979160.jpg

Paul Wallace's Northern Monkeys, Blue Square North, Season 1 - Pre Season/August

Transfers - As you can see there was a big clear out as soon as the great Paul Wallace arrived at the club. I was ruthless, keeping out 6 or 7 original players, some who were good enough to play and the others who had bright potentials according to the Assistant.

Squad - The final squad that I have after the transfer window is definitely good enough to keep us up. There's no real quality striker yet, I may bring one in January, but it would only be on loan due to us being 100 pound over the current wage budget. Our season will depend on how many goals we score, the defence isn't too big a problem, but it's worrying to think where the goals will come from.

Overview - This doesn't show you an awful lot, but it does show how we're in debt by just over 80K. This is probably going to increase as the season goes on, there's not really a lot I can do about this for now and we will probably be in debt until we are promoted to the Blue Square Premier.

Current First XI - (Subject to change, I probably wont do another one until the January update)

GK, Phil Brown - He's a decent player for this division, has the potential to become a good player in this division. I've opted for him over the 17 year old backup I have, for now.

DR, John Jackson - Another play who's probably just decent standard for the division, he's versatile as well which is always nice.

DL, Eoghan Dillon - According to my scouts/assistants he's probably one of the best left backs in the league.

DC, Eugene Dennehy - Another promising Irish defender and he will be a key part of our defence this season.

DC, James Marshall - A product of the Northern Monkeys youth system, he's a decent player at the moment and has the potential to be as good as Dennehy.

MR, Danny White - He's a good player, not an amazing one but certainly good enough for the time being.

ML, Paul Egan - On loan from Nottingham Forest, he's a good player with the potential to be a very good player in this division, he probably wont reach that potential during his spell at the club though.

MC, Ben Mitchell - Another player who is good for this division and should be a crucial part of any potential success this season.

MC, Michael Dunlop - A real quality player, I was very surprised when I managed to get him to join the club. His quality and experience should be a massive help for the Monkeys this season.

ST, Jason Evans - The Bakary Sagna lookalike is a decent player, but he's not going to score that many goals for us, probably 10 at absolute best.

ST, Danny Webb - The on loan striker from Leeds is better than Evans, whether or not he can perform that much better is another story.

Fixtures - (BSN unless stated otherwise)

Redditch 2-0 Stalybridge

Stalybridge 3-0 AFC Telford

Stalybridge 3-2 Corby

Southport 0-1 Stalybridge

Stalybridge 0-1 Workington

Solihull Moors (FM08 Monkeys) 2-1 Stalybridge

Stalybridge 1-0 Vauxhall

-

I haven't put in a table yet because it seemed a bit pointless with so few games played, however if people want a monthly table I will provide it. If any other information is wanted don't hesitate to ask.

30.jpg&w=150&q=95

September 2009

Day by Day...Whats Going on?

05.09 at Lewes 1:0

Gibson (82)

Well this game we dominated from the opening minutes, it just took us a while to finally capitalise and take out the game with a 1 nil victory and a move up the league slightly. two wins in a row after a terrible start helps a lot.

MoM: Thompson

07.09 Team of the Week

Stuart Laird (DC) makes the side.

08.09 Injury Update

D.Bridges (MC) expected to return soon from a groin strain, while Stuart Laird (DC) will be out for a long time yet with his strained knee ligaments.

08.09 vs Woking 1:1

Avery (40)

This game was evenly matched from the opening whistle, and really neither team deserved a victory, so when they went ahead I pushed the boys forward and made them chase at least a draw, when Avery scored the reward of a point was there.

MoM: Avery

09.09 Bridges Resumes Training

Danny Bridges is fully fit and can slot back into the team

12.09 vs Bishops Stortford 3:2

Clark (33), Gibson (44,52)

Well we started this game with a hiss and a roar, but it took until the 33rd minute for us to crack their defense and Clark continued to rack up goals as he scored another. Then Gibson managed to double our lead, and then add a third after halftime. We then let ourselves down as prior to this they had never looked like scoring, but the boys allowed Bishops to think they had a chance with two late goals.

MoM: Gibson

13.09 Cultured Clark

Well the media have a new darling, they love Henry Clark, and he is definitely growing on me as a 19 year old who has 4 goals already from 9(1) appearances, a definitely great start to the season.

14.09 Team of the Week

Clark (ST) makes the team with a great couple of games in the week.

14.09 FA 2nd Qual Draw

Basingstoke were drawn in a home leg against Bedfont Green. This should be a walkover.

15.09 Clark eats bad Chicken

Clark has contracted food poisoning and will be out for about 6 days.

19.09 Newport Sack France

I am not sure if by this headline if they were actually at war with France and destroying them, or if they were sacking their manager. Well after they did they said they wanted Roberts, and as the clear favourite I told them NO WAY!

19.09 at Braintree (09 Softies) 1:1

Pears (40)

We took the lead with a stunning shot from Nick Pears, I was delighted by this one, but then we disappointingly let them back in, and without Clark in the side it was a real struggle for us to get another goal, and when it didn't come we had to settle for a single point.

MoM: O'Boyle

19.09 Two huge Losses

Gibson (ST) is out with a hip injury and has to see a specialist, he will be gone for around 3 months. We also lost Thompson in this game with a groin strain and he will be out for about 6 weeks.

23.09 Bridges Strain under Weight

Danny Bridges is out of action once more, this time he picked up a back strain while lifting weights in training.

26.09 vs Bedfont Town (FA) 3:0

Clark (39,41,59)

Harry Clark returned from his food poisoning and showed exactly why he is the clear star of the side, we dominated this game across the park. Avery also had a great showing as he provided the final ball on 2 of the goals.

MoM: Clark

28.09 FA Cup 3rd Qual Draw

We picked Maidenhead out of the barrel this time around, they defeated us last time we met, but Roberts and the boys will be hoping to turn this around.

Roberts' Player of the Month

There really isn't even a question this month is there? Four Goals, Two Assists in only four appearances. Our Player of the month is Harry Clark.

League Table

Player Stats

5979160.jpg

Paul Wallace's Northern Monkeys, Blue Square North, Season 1 - September

Farsley 1-2 Stalybridge - We really didn't deserve anything from this game, but Farsley's inability to take the majority of their chances gifted us a win.

Eastwood 2-2 Stalybridge - Another game where we didn't really deserve a win but held on for most of the game. I was gutted to concede a penalty in the 93rd minute, it was very controversial in my opinion.

Stalybridge 2-1 Droylsden - This game was a lot more even and we were good value for our win. I was really nervous at the end of the game as I was convinced we would concede late again, but Jason "Sagna" Evans gave us the second goal. They did give me a fright in the 92nd minute though.

Alfreton 0-0 Stalybridge - This was a really boring game to watch. We never looked like scoring and neither did Alfreton. Alfreton did miss literally an open goal in the 70 something minute, it was a shocking miss!

Stalybridge 1-0 Nelson (FA Cup 2nd Q Round) - We absolutely dominated this match but couldn't bloody score. I was very releaved when Danny Webb scored his fairly late goal, I thought we were going to end up playing a replay, which would have been so embarrassing.

# # #

League Table - We're currently sitting in a very nice position. It's not really clear yet who the front runners will be, but I'm content at the moment. I don't expect to get promoted, so we'll probably be looking at around 10th/11th although that's just a complete stab in the dark to be honest.

5979160.jpg

Paul Wallace's Northern Monkeys, Blue Square North, Season 1 - October

New Loan Signings

Since the last update was posted I have managed to secure loan deals for defender/midfielder Tony Crowther who will be at the club for 3 months and striker Joe Burns who will be at the club for the rest of the season. It's also worth nothing the ML I linked to in the last update has since left the club after his short loan spell.

# # #

Stalybridge 2-0 Redditch - I wouldn't say we dominated or controlled the match, but we were definitely the superior team. Apart from hitting the post within the first 5 points Redditch weren't that much of a threat going forward.

FC United 0-2 Stalybridge (FA Cup 3rd Q Round) - This was a very even game and we were very lucky to come away with a win. The board expected to reach the 4th Q Round so I was pleased that I managed to achieve their expectations.

Stafford 2-1 Stalybridge - This was another even game, so as you can imagine I was gutted when we conceded twice in the space of 2 minutes in the second half. To make things even more gutting we hit the post twice in the last 10 minutes.

Stalybridge 1-3 Barrow (FA Cup 4th Q Round) - We were considered under-dogs in this game against BSP opposition Barrow. I was very excited when we scored so early on, I thought that it could have been the beginning of an epic cup run. As you can see it just wasn't to be, there's always next year!

Stalybridge 3-0 Blyth (FM09 Monkeys) - After already beating the Solihull Moors, the FM08 Monkeys, I was hoping that we could beat a former Monkeys side yet again. Despite the away side having more chances our players took there's a lot better, which lead to us winning the game.

# # #

I've decided to do a League table every other update until around February as it seems a bit pointless having another table after only playing 3 games.

30.jpg&w=150&q=95

October/November 2009

The Fixtures

03.10 vs Thurrock 3:0

Clark (41), Moore (64,pen85)

We dominated this game a lot, from the very beginning we were all over them. It did take us almost the entire first half to get ahead, but after this we made sure of it as Moore managed to finish the game off. A pair of assists from Millward saw him pick up a great Man of the Match award.

MoM: Millward

06.10 at Dover 1:2

Moore (47)

Well we had enough possession in this game to make a difference, but it never really works when its all in the midfield. The 47 minute equaliser made it look like we might make the draw, but a 88th minute penalty following what I dispute was a foul by Pears left us with a 2:1 loss.

10.10 at Maidenhead 1:1 (FAC 3Q)

Moore (71)

Well Moore really was on a scoring streak at this point, but this game was pretty poor from both sides and neither of us deserved the victory, so we will face again in the 2nd leg.

14.10 vs Maidenhead 0:2 (FAC 3Q)

Well this game just sucked, we looked good at times, but the finishing cost us and we ended up coming unstuck and got dumped out in very disappointing fashion.

17.10 at Bath 2:0

Moore (39), Clark (46)

Bath really stayed in this game all the way to the end, but the two goals we got either side of halftime let them down going into the sheds and then Clark came out and made them completely disheartened afterwards. The game was ours and I pulled back to hold on.

MoM: Moore

24.10 vs Weymouth 1:0

Lamb (59)

From the kick-off Weymouth were on the back foot, a lot of shots a lot of possession saw Roberts very disappointed as he went into the shed, he fired up and sent the boys out to try and get the victory. Lamb was great down the right and applied the finish before the 2/3rd mark.

31.10 at Newport Co. 1:1

Moore (4)

This was a match that everyone expected us to lose, well after only 4 minutes we had managed to steal a lead, and with our domination of possession I was hoping we could grab another. Some encouragement at halftime seemed to make some of them rest on their laurels as Duckworth got through easily after 53mins to equalise and we had to settle for a draw.

Well October was a good month for us in the league, but we did poorly in the cup to get knocked out. This only just gives us a slightly better chance to focus on the league. I am really not used to sooo many games in a season.

Our October Player of has to be David Moore. He played great during a dry spell from Clark.

The Fixtures

11.11 at Bromley 0:2

Wow, we sucked, a whole 12 days off seemed to make us worse not better, and we had a poor shot ratio, we managed to hit the bar, hit the players and smack it way over. A disappointing start to November, but we are now comfortably in the top half of the league.

14.11 at Maidenhead 1:0

OG (82)

Now I was laughing throughout this game, both teams got a lot of shots off, but so few of them went anywhere near the net, and the one that went in came from a corner which Clark headed towards the keeper only for a defender to jump and head it home. A classic away game steal. Very happy with this one.

18.11 vs St Albans 1:1

Clark (67)

This game was once more a very even game, our team got more shots, but we just cannot hit them at the goal. Going into halftime at 0:0 we went more attacking afterwards and managed to get Clark through on the break, but when I then sat back it let their striker through on a break to equalise. Another lost chance at a home victory.

21.11 at Merthyr 1:2 (FAT 3Q)

Williams (25)

Now this game was a strange one, we were expected to be very strong favourites and for about 90% of the game it showed, but either side of our goal we were very disappointing and allowed them in to beat us. Out of both cups now sees the Softies looking at the league for our only success.

28.11 vs Welling 2:0

Clark (21,30)

Now this game was much better with a full strength side back on the park I managed to put them all together and show Welling exactly why we are in the top half of the league. I was delighted to win 2:0 and have us up to 8th in the league, even if we have played an extra game.

This is going to Clark once more, he scored 3 goals, and took out the Nov Player of the Month award for the League.

Softies Players in Team of the Weeks

05.10 - Harry Clark, Ian Millward.

12.10 - Harry Clark, David Moore, Glen Avery, Ian Millward.

27.10 - Harry Clark, Jack Lamb, Nick Wilde, Adam Thompson.

30.11 - Harry Clark

The Details

League Table

Player Stats

I have to say I am really delighted to be just outside the playoffs in the league, maybe our team really does have a chance to make a difference after I was worried that our only chance was to avoid relegation.

30.jpg&w=150&q=95

December 2009

The Fixtures

01.12 at St Albans 0:1

Well as seems to be happening now, we start well one month and then we start poorly the next month, we really should've taken at least a draw here, but mistakes let them in.

05.12 at Staines 0:0

Here we went to Staines and totally dominated the game, but we had the disappointment to see shot after shot after shot miss. My first suggestion to Danny Roberts II when they step in would be to get a striker who can hit the target, try for Lee Jerome if you can get him.

19.12 vs Bromley 1:1

Clark (70)

We dominated the shots, again it was just not enough on target. We finally managed to put one in the net, but then only four minutes later we saw Bromley equalise and we had to accept the draw. This is a disgusting start to the month for the Softies.

MoM: Harry Clark

26.12 at Eastleigh 2:2

Lamb (1), Pears (39)

Jack Lamb started this match brilliantly for us as he scored inside the first minute, but the opposition pulled one back after only 5 minutes, then they took the lead. Although we did get back into the game with another goal by Nick Pears. This saw the stunning first half come to a close, and the fans and commentators were looking to more of the same, but it never happened as neither team could keep their shots on target.

28.12 vs Worcester 1:0

Clark (2)

Well Clark got a goal with our only shot on goal in the match after just 2 mins, we really should've done a lot better than a one nil victory, but we just seemed incapable of completing the job no matter what we did.

Jeffrey O'Boyle - This time I have given the award to our top Centre Back, if its possible to sign him off Reading I would seriously look at it. He has a lot of class and he is very young, he also had a great month, no goals, no assists, but his rating was just as High as Clarks in December.

Softies Players in Team of the Weeks

28.12 - Harry Clark.

The Details

League Table

Player Stats

Considering how poorly I thought the month went we have to be delighted to still be holding onto 8th spot overall. We have dropped to 4pts off 5th spot, but thats still a chance. We need to convert more of our draws into wins though if we want to improve.

A great improvement for the Softies there :thup:

I wonder if this form could see us snatch a playoff place?

I was thinking there was a chance of that, but not really sure, we seem to be safe in about 8th-10th, trying to get any higher and we fail, and losing Clark for 4 weeks has not helped either...

5979160.jpg

Paul Wallace's Northern Monkeys, Blue Square North, Season 1 - December

Stalybridge 2-0 Gloucester - This was a game in which we absolutely dominated. It should have been 5 or 6.

Stalybridge 0-2 Fleetwood - This was a fairly even game and I was disappointed that we couldn't get at least a point out of it. We had a few good chances that we really should have scored.

Droylsden 0-0 Stalybridge - This was a very tough game in which we were pretty lucky to come away with a point.

Braintree 0-0 Stalybridge (FAT 3rd Q Round) - Another game where we were lucky to come away with a draw. I began to get worried at this point as this was the third successive game we had failed to score in. We'd face a replay with Braintree at home.

I've completely lost the replay screenshot, but we won 2-1.

Stalybridge 1-0 Northwich - This was a game which we deserved to win, we had the majority of chances and should have won by a more convincing margin.

# # #

League Table - At the moment things are looking pretty good, we're at about the halfway stage so if we manage to get playoff place I will be a very happy man.

God what a fantastic challenge. Just finished reading the 2008/2009 threads. Wish I had time free to complete a season within a week, I'd love to participate! As it is, I shall continue reading and give a heads up if I can take over for a season.

Doing fantastic Paul!

God what a fantastic challenge. Just finished reading the 2008/2009 threads. Wish I had time free to complete a season within a week, I'd love to participate! As it is, I shall continue reading and give a heads up if I can take over for a season.

Doing fantastic Paul!

Nice one, it is always good to see new people joining :thup:

5979160.jpg

Paul Wallace's Northern Monkeys, Blue Square North, Season 1 - December

Gainsborough 1-1 Stalybridge - We were unlucky to only get a point from this game because although there was an even amount of chances, we were ahead for nearly the whole game so to lose two points in the 87th minute was annoying.

Stalybridge 2-0 Ilkeston - A good home win in a match that we definitely deserved to win.

York 1-1 Stalybridge (FAT 1st Round) - A difficult away match in which we were out played completely by York, we were lucky to get a replay.

Stalybridge 2-1 York (FAT 1st Round replay) - Despite being completely out played in the first match, at home we were a significantly better side. A surprising win in all honesty.

Blyth 0-0 Stalybridge - In another difficult away game we couldn't get a win against the former Monkeys side. A point is still a decent result though.

Hyde 1-3 Stalybridge - After a few tough away games I was fairly pessimistic going into this clash. I shouldn't have been because we absolutely dominated the game.

Stalybridge 3-2 Southport - This was a very competitive match that was quite entertaining to watch. I have to admit when McGhee scored his second goal I thought we'd end up losing 4-3, but luckily that didn't happen.

# # #

League Table - We're looking very pretty in second place at the moment, but just 12 points seperates us and 12th. The race for the playoffs/title will be very tight.

30.jpg&w=150&q=95

January 2010

The Fixtures

01.01 vs Eastleigh 1:2

Gibson (12)

Harry Clark had just returned for this match, and he got injured again. He is not expected back until sometime in March this is going to really hurt our chances. At least in this amtch we had the possession we need and got up to 40% of our shots actually on target, a massive improvement on where we have been so far. Gibson played well, and he will hopefully do it for us through Jan & Feb without Clark.

09.01 at Bishop's Stortford 0:1

Gibson (39)

We may have had control of the ball, but very poor crossing and just abysmal balls into the box we seemed to be very lucky to take out 5 points from this game. I was delighted to see Gibson score again though.

MoM: Boyle

16.01 vs Newport Co. 1:0

Moore (73)

Again in this game we were let down by poor displays around the box and I began looking for some replacement Loan players, with space for three short term loans and the season ending on April 24th I needed some players after January 24th who would come and bolster the saide for a playoff race. We did take the victory more than half our shots on target, but not enough ball in the right place.

23.01 at Chelmsford 0:2

The opponents here without a doubt showed that possession does not matter, you need shots, luck and a great set of wings to cross the ball right to the head. In this game our team were abysmal, though Michael Stapleton joined the club as our first Loanee for the coming three months.

30.01 vs Staines 2:1

Pears (45), Jarvis (pen49)

With Jarvis (ML) & Klimavicius (GK) joining on three month loans we had completed our dealings, Pears moves to the wing and we seem to be very strong across the middle now even if we don't own the players. We completely dominated Staines to end January in a delightful game.

MoM: Devlin

Jamie Gibson, just because of his stunning effort with the loss of Harry Clark, other than that I would have to pick Roberts for signing the new loanees.

30.jpg&w=150&q=95

February 2010

The Fixtures

06.02 vs Hampton & Richmond 2:1

Jarvis (9), Gibson (49)

This game we led from the start and taking that lead made a real difference, putting the second in just after halftime and we pulled back to just prevent them coming back. The opposition took a late consolation goal to give them some hope, but it was never going to happen. A good result which put us into 5th (Playoffs).

MoM: Jarvis

13.02 at Weymouth 2:1

Gibson (24), Jarvis (57)

The same pair scored both our goals once again, we had a very good start to the game, our supply through the middle did suffer some problems once again, but it does appear to be working a lot better than it has earlier in the season. glad to see a two goal lead once again we can defend those with very good hope.

20.02 at Weston-Super-Mare 0:1

These guys are on top of the league and mainly due to their star striker: Lee Jerome who also managed to score the goal agains us. They didn't really dominate, but with Gibson getting injured early we never really had a chance upfront with a youth boy and Moore out there. At least it was an away loss at a time when we could afford to take the loss.

Without a doubt the Player of the Month has to be Paul Jarvis, he has joined on loan from Reading and he is looking really good down the left hand side. I am pretty happy with this selection for my team.

The Details

League Table

Player Stats

Well on the 27th of February there was a round of games to let everyone else catch-up to us following our Cup failures, well we only dropped two slots because of that so pretty satisfied to be in 7th with 9 games left in the season. We also saw QPR fire their manager and want Roberts to step up to the Championship and take the job, Roberts told them where to go.

30.jpg&w=150&q=95

March 2010

The Fixtures

06.03 vs Lewes 1:0

Clark (27)

Well we seem to be steady, but nothing spectacular going on here. Something needs to change for us to come together as a team and confirm a playoffs berth, we are sitting just outside, but we have had a few different chances to make it into the top 5. I think we can do it.

13.03 vs Dover 0:1

Well they got lucky to score the goal, the game was even the whole way through, but we never really threatened their goal. Something needs to change, but i cannot see what.

20.03 at Woking 0:1

This game was just gutting, again we were their equal throughout the game, but an injury to Gibson putting him on the sideline with Clark has us in serious trouble. I am devising a new Left Diamond 4-5-1 formation for the next game with the hope some more strength through the middle can turn us around.

27.03 vs Bath 2:1

Moore (8), Pears (62)

Well Moore finally broke his goaless drought after about 15 hours without a goal, he was delighted to finally do it, and then Pears added a screamer from the Defensive Midfield to make this come off. I was very pleased with the way it was in this game, so with Clark coming back I may continue with this tactic.

Well I have gone back to the defense this month, at the back we have had Ian Millward on the right since the beginning of the season and he has been solid right through. This is his reward and he has had a very, very good month. So put you hands together for the boy.

The Details

League Table

Player Stats

30.jpg&w=150&q=95

End of Season Report

The Short Version

Predicted: 18th

Actual: 8th

FA Cup: 3rd Qual

FA Trophy: 3rd Qual

The April Fixtures

03.04 vs Havant & W 2:0

Pears (3), Moore (42)

Well a good start to April saw us move into the playoff spots, but we would have to keep it up for 4 more games.

MoM: Pears

05.04 at Dorchester 1:1

Wilde (87)

This game was just disappointing, it took a late goal from Nick Wilde to even gain us the draw.

10.04 at Thurrock 1:1

Stapleton (90+2)

For the second game in the row it took a very late goal for us to equalise and stay in the battle, this was nothing like the form I would like at the end of the season.

17.04 vs Braintree 1:1

White (14)

Well this time we got the lead early on and we just couldn't hold on to it in the end, yet again a draw was very disappointing.

MoM: Devlin

24.04 at Welling 1:2

Pears (16)

Well this time we showed why taking a lead and trying to rest on our laurels is absolutely no good. We took the lead, but then the Welling boys came back and just beat us to the punch with two middle time goals.

The Player of the Month for April has to be Nick Pears, again he shows himself as a great player. If I can suggest any of our loanees that we should bring back for the new season he is the one. Team of the Week on April 5th also went his way.

The Season in General

Well after a shocking start to the season we started to build into it and climbed from the bottom of the table all the way up into the top 10, we were even in for a challenge at the playoffs right up til the last game loss. I was pretty happy with how it ended, but hopefully the next Danny Roberts can move us up into the Blue Square Premier. And Harry Clark was even nominated for the Player of the Year.

League Table

The Squad of Players

This Seasons Stats

Goalkeepers

Jurijus Klimavicius (GK) - He joined in January as a way to shore up the defence and he came out showing himself as a huge difference. In only 13 games he conceded 12 goals with 2 clean sheets.

Kevin Henry (GK) - The first half keeper conceded exactly one goal per game, but he is nowhere near really good enough for this level, and we need to find a replacement, unless you can get Klimavicius to stay.

Defence

Ian Millward (DR) - He came in early in the season and was the best right back in the squad from the beginning, he was only solid but not spectacular. He is good enough for this level, but not much better. There must be something else out there better.

Adam Thompson (DRC) - Well he was really cover for the back, but with injuries across the back happening a lot he ended up playing a few more games than I expected, til he got injured.

Gavin Devlin (DLC) - A very solid left back, the only time teams scored down that side was when he was injured. Keep him if you can, there are no good replacements around.

Harry White (DC) - He is about average for a central defender, but I really cannot see him helping us get to the top of this division, look for another one out there.

Jeffrey O'Boyle (DC) - The young Irishman was on loan and featured across the board for the club, the best central defender we had, but there was no chance of keeping him after the loan.

Jonathan Williams (D/ML) - He was good cover right down the left side, but he is just not really good enough for the starting line-up.

Midfield

Nick Wilde (ML) - Well he was really a bit of cover, but he was good enough on the left, he could be stronger though.

Paul Jarvis (MLC) - He came in late in January as a loanee with a chance to build our squad towards the end of the season, he showed true skill to do just that job.

Michael Donnelly (DMC) - The Central midfielder stayed as cover for the team the entire time this season, no matter what happens he was there to shore it up. He got himself 39 games, but again we need a replacement.

Michael Stapleton (AMC) - He came in on loan and pulled 13 games in the 3 months he was with the club, solid but unspectacular. He did well enough, but we need better than he provided as well.

Nick Pears (MRC) - The true star, he came from West Ham and played 38 games for the club on the right and in the middle, with 6 goals and 6 assists he was truely a difference maker on more than one occasion.

Glen Avery (MC) - He started the season as a starter, but he was pushed out with injuries which is what led to all the loanees coming in.

Jack Lamb (MR) - Another player who lost his starting spot when the Loanees came in, but Lamb was still pretty damn good as a right winger, and he is the best of those actually on our books.

Jon Dudley (ML) - The spare left winger, he only played 13 games and was average only in all of them. He needs to be replaced as well.

Forwards

David Moore (ST) - He was a lot better near the end of the season than at the start, he was never amazing, but he did cover the injuries very well.

Harry Clark (ST) - 37 games, and a rating of 7.18 what else could you want from a young striker, he may not be the most technically sound, but he is pretty damn good and considering he had 5 injuries for a total of 11 weeks he did very good.

Jamie Gibson (ST) - He was solid, but never great. I think whoever goes next needs to find a replacement to line-up alongside Clark.

The Save Game

The Softies

Pretty solid 1st season there. It was a shame to miss out on the playoffs but after the first month, 8th is a great finish.

Nice to see Harry Clark doing well, with a few improvements in the rest of the team he could be the key next season.

Is there anyone on the softies list ready to go next?

Archived