Wallace v Roberts 2010

Thanks dafuge, I must say moving up to 8th was actually pretty satisfying and I agree that adding other players to Clark could result in an excellent squad, also looking at it now I had a lot of very young stars lined up there as well. I only re-signed Clark because he had contract offers about to come in, the rest are still on the original contracts I signed them too and a lot expire in July as well as all the backroom staff, they were the best I could find, but there are surely some better ones out there.

• Replies 966
  • Created
  • Last Reply

5979160.jpg

Paul Wallace's Northern Monkeys, Blue Square North, Season 1 - January

Fixtures - (BSN unless stated otherwise)

Stalybridge 2-1 Hyde - In a match that we absolutely dominated we came away with a decent win. It would have been nice to score a couple more goals, but overall a win is a win.

Workington 2-2 Stalybridge - It's fair to say we were pretty outplayed in this match. I was expecting a loss, so you can imagine how delighting it was to see Jason "Sagna" Evans score a late equaliser.

Stalybridge 1-2 Southport (FAT 2nd Round) - Although we didn't dominate this match we were definitely the better side. I wasn't that bothered that we'd gone out of the Fa Trophy, more bothered about the league.

Harrogate 0-1 Stalybridge - It was a very hard to see how Harrogate would ever score, they're finishing on the day was absolutely shocking. Despite having lots of chances we only managed the one goal, that happened to be enough though so it's all good.

Stalybridge 2-1 Hinckley - This was a match that we controlled from the start, so I was disappointed that we looked like we'd only come away from the game with a draw. However Louis Speight's late effort gave us a deserved win.

Northwich 2-0 Stalybridge - This wasn't our best performance of the season and we deserved to lose.

# # #

League Table - After continuing our good run of form we find ourselves at the top of the league, a very impressive feat. Lets hope we can stay at the top for the remainder or the season.

after completely forgetting about this for a couple of days, i thought i'd pop in and see how things are progressing for the monkeys. Superb work so far Paul, you seem to be grinding out the victories to keep us in the mix at the top.

How healthy are the finances? (im going to stick my neck out and guess that they arent a bad level of debt for this sort of level of club)

I'd like to be on the shortlist to play a season :D It seems there is less people on the south side so ill give that a go :) If there's space.

I've added you to the list.

Unless anyone near the top of the list is ready to go, there could be a spot available right now if you are interested.

5979160.jpg

Paul Wallace's Northern Monkeys, Blue Square North, Season 1 - February

Stalybridge 2-0 Stafford - This was a match in which we dominated and thoroughly deserved to win.

Ilkeston 1-1 Stalybridge - In yet another match we concede a late equaliser which could prove to be costly later in the season.

Stalybridge 2-0 Farsley - This was another match that we dominated and deserved to win. I was never concerned about Farsley scoring because in front of goal they were crap.

Gloucester 1-1 Stalybridge - This was a fairly even match. The majority of action was in the second half despite the fact the two goals were in the first half. To be honest I was pleased to get a point out of this.

Stalybridge 3-1 Gainsborough - I wouldn't say we dominated or controlled this match but we generally looked the better team. I think we were good value for our victory.

# # #

League Table - With just 8 games left we sit top of the table, 4 points ahead of the second place team. The question is, can we make it?

5979160.jpg

Paul Wallace's Northern Monkeys, Blue Square North, Season 1 - March/April

Stalybridge 3-1 Harrogate - This was a game that we pretty much controlled from start to finish, Harrogate never really looked like threatening us. They scored a consolation late on but we'd already scored 3 so it was pretty much irrelevant in the proceedings.

AFC Telford 2-1 Stalybridge - This was a pretty though away game during which we failed to really take control of the match. It looked like a comeback might be on in the 61st minute when Burns made it 2-1, but we couldn't find a second goal.

Stalybridge 0-0 Alfreton - I was very disappointed in this match because we failed to take any of our chances, some of it were pretty good. A point isn't too bad a result though.

Stalybridge 3-1 Solihull Moors - We got back to our winning ways in a match against former Monkeys side Solihull Moors. The team looked comfortable throughout the match and I wasn't really worried when Solihull scored in the 86th minute, as I knew they wouldn't score two more.

Vauxhall 1-1 Stalybridge - I have to admit we really didn't look that great in this match. It almost seemed like the inevitable that Vauxhall would eventually score a winner, however it was us who scored the first and I thought we may hold on for a win. It wasn't to be though and Vauxhall scored a probably deserved equaliser.

Corby 0-0 Stalybridge - This was probably one our worst away games of the entire seasons, we never looked like scoring. Luckily on the day Corby were playing just as bad so it ended as a bore draw.

Stalybridge 3-2 Eastwood - This was a very even and exciting game. I was disappointed when we went into half-time 1-0 down, Mitchell quickly changed this in the 59th minute. Glenn Lee put Eastwood ahead just 2 minutes later which was a setback, but then Wilkes put us level 2 minutes after that. Louis Speight eventually went on to win us the match.

Fleetwood 1-1 Stalybridge - In another poor away display it looked like Fleetwood would get the better of us in this match, but Paul Hyde saved the day in the 91st minute with an equaliser.

# # #

The next update will come later in the evening, the question is... will it be a season review following a league win or will it be showing off our playoff campaign?

Looking like a good season Paul. I reckon that leaves us with 79 points, therefore Fleetwood would have to win 6 of their 8 games to overtake us, but they've only won about half their games so far, so think it's unlikely.

Am I right or am I right?

5 and some draws might do it for them granted.

5979160.jpg

Paul Wallace's Northern Monkeys, Blue Square North, Season 1 - Season Review

League Table - As you can see we won the league by a fairly comfortable 5 points, technically 6 points if you include goal difference.

Home Record - At home we were very good, only dropping points 3 times.

Away Record - We weren't so good away from home, if the table had been based on away games we'd only have just scraped a play-off place.

Past Positions - Just in case anybody wanted to see this.

Finances - This was probably the only negative of the season, we're just over 170K in the red and I can't see this changing significantly next season. A cup run may be our only hope of getting out of the red.

Transfers - Although this doesn't say a lot until you've seen the squad, it does showcase all the ins and outs of the season.

Squad

Goalkeepers

Phil Brown - The first choice Goalkeeper. He's pretty good quality for the BSN but I'm not sure just how good he will be in the BSP. He's had a good trip but it might me time to show him the way home.

Ryan Rutter - He was good backup although rarely called upon. He's young so probably wont want to remain as backup. He does have the potential to be as good as Brown though.

Defenders

Keith Duncan - He was fairly versatile which made him decent backup. He wasn't really good enough in the BSN so definitely wont be in the BSP, he's transfer listed by request so definitely get rid.

Dan Farrington - Another player who was backup but never really called upon. He's got the potential to be a good player in this division but probably wont be worth keeping. I'd get rid of him as well.

John Jackson - He's a versatile defender that was decent backup. Started 6 and made 21 sub appearances, he'd be a decent bench player at best in the BSP.

Eugene Dennehy - The young Irishman was a quality player for this division and I imagine he will be a very good player in the BSP. Definitely hang onto him if you can.

Neil Fraser - He was a first choice central defender. He's a good player for the BSN but will probably only be average in the BSP. He's aging and probably has about 2 years left in him, probably worth keeping him as backup.

James Marshall - He was a youth player at the club. Started 8 games and 15 subs, he's got the potential to be a leading BSN player so would probably turn out as a decent BSP player. I'd hold onto him.

Eohan Dilan - First choice left back. He's a quality player for this division and will probably be quite good in the BSP as well. Hang onto him if you can.

Danny White - I mixed and matched this guy, he probably played half his games at DR and half at MR. He's equally good at playing both. He's ageing but will probably be a good rotational/backup player in the BSP.

Midfielders

Michael Dunlop - I was very surprised when I managed to sign this guy on a freebie. He's an absolute quality player, despite the fact he's aging he will be a big player for us next year in the BSP. Definitely hold onto him.

Neil Parker - He was backup. He wasn't called upon that much and despite his age I don't think he'll develop any more, I'd probably get rid.

Scott Beevers - He was a rotational player in midfield. He's decent in this division but I'm not sure how good he will be in the BSN. He got me quite a few goals and assists though so could be good backup.

Louis Speight - He was first choice ML. Despite his fairly positive stats, ability wise I don't rate him that highly. I'd bring in a replacement for him if you can.

Ben Mitchell - He was a first choice MC this year. He's a good player in this division and could probably do a good job in the BSP. I'd keep him.

Ian Ross - He was backup at best this year and I don't think he'll develop that much. I'd let go of him.

Strikers

Jason 'Sagna' Evans - He was backup this year. Despite scoring 7 goals he really wasn't good enough at this level so will be definitely not be in the BSP. I'd get rid.

Byron Cook - He's still on a youth contract but he has the potential to be a leading player at this division. I'd keep him so we can try to develop him to his potential.

James Wilkes - Despite having positive stats he wasn't really good enough at this level. I'd definitely think about getting rid of him, maybe hang onto him for one more year just to make sure he's not as good as the stats make out.

Joe Burns - He was on loan from Oldham. I don't know if you'll be able to renew his loan contract but if you can I definitely would, he could do a good job for us next year.

Paul Hyde - Another player who has tremendous potential. I'd keep him so we can develop him to his potential.

-

Overall Analysis - I'd definitely bring in a new first choice Goalkeeper, Right Back, Right Midfielder, Left Midfielder and a couple of good strikers, at least one. You'll want to bring in other players as well, but they are the key areas that will need sorting out. I'd bring in as many loan players as you can, over the course of the season they were a big help if only short term. I'm not sure what kind of wage budget you will have, but I've told you to get rid of quite a few players who aren't good enough which should help to make it bigger. I think avoiding relegation next season would be a fantastic achievement given our financial position. Good luck!

-

based on the list, is it Rancer next then?

Looks like it as the other two above him haven't posted anything yet.

Like last year, we are probably best off just finding someone to take over when each person finishes rather than trying to stick to a specific order.

Tactic Master - do you want to start for the Softies now?

First off, it's okay to use 'offer to clubs' right? Because I'm going to unload some players if I can because they're earning way too much for liking. And I'm using the ass man team report to find players (and backroom advice) if that's okay. :)

First off, need to offload a bunch of players because they're not letting sign new ones... :(

EDIT: I just found a bug...'transfer list and set player to not needed' tick box not working. I have to do it manually.

I can't remember what I said, something along the lines of "if you haven't already saved and uploaded the game do it now".

If you want to find players there's also the search player list, I don't know if it's still got the display option I used but I'd scouted quite a lot of good players. As you said I'm not sure if you'll be able to get many because of the current wage budget.

I can't remember what I said, something along the lines of "if you haven't already saved and uploaded the game do it now".

If you want to find players there's also the search player list, I don't know if it's still got the display option I used but I'd scouted quite a lot of good players. As you said I'm not sure if you'll be able to get many because of the current wage budget.

I'm fine with finding players. I find plenty with backroom advice and the ass man recommendations. Just that I can't sign anyone (well I made new signing, a depth one I will write more later on after the transfer window ends). The only signings I can make are for $425 per annum.

Also renewed Joe Burns' loan until January.

We are ~US$12k above the (current) budget and I already dumped Ian Ross (on a free) and his $4k salary, and I'm not going to resign Neil Parker makes another $4k, so I'm still $4k over the budget. Hope the new wage budget is better...

Danny Robert's Southern Softies

30.jpg&w=150&q=95

Blue Square South 2010/2011

Step 1:Analysing The Problems

As soon as i started my turn with the mighty Softies, i noticed they are in financial turmoil! We are now in debt by 127k which to be fair is only about half of what it was when i started it. That is only a side problem however, as our Wage Budget is only £1,131. I've made some signings and let some players go, but we still have a Total Wage Budget of £1,212.

Step 2:Selling/Free Transfering Players

I thought this out very well and i've decided to let the 4 following players leave the club on Free Transfers:

Jack Lamb

Nick Wilde

Jon Dudley

Jamie Gibson

I decided this partly on wages and partly on positions. I like to play through the middle of the park so i got rid of the wingers that couldnt play in the center of the park and i also got rid of the players that didn't perform last season. You could argue against my decision to get rid of Jamie Gibson, but thats what i've done.

Step 3:Sign Players

I wanted to continue to work on the already great work by Lower Leagues Rule and i decided to work on the defence and the strikers. I signed the following:

Lance Hunter (Free) From Eastleigh

Jamie Kearns (Free) From Maidenhead

Gary McMahon (Loan) From Reading

Nikoloz Nioradze (Loan) From Hinckley

Keith Keogh (Free) From Free Transfer

Kevin Howard (Free) From Free Transfer

I shall edit this post later with actual screenshots of the 4. I have yet to find anymore Loan signings as i appear unable to get anymore Free Transfers.

Step 4:Get Friendly Matches

I decided to set up 8 Friendlies for our Pre-Season, 3 high profiles and 5 low profiles. I decided that we would have 5 low profiles to give us a chance of pre-season success. I made the friendlies from teams in the reputation lists. Here was the following friendlies:

Ipswich

Leeds United

Charlton

Temperly

Matareva

Korean FA

America TO (MG)

Madureira

5979160.jpg

Paul Wallace's Northern Monkeys, Blue Square Premier, Season 2 - August 1

Stalybridge has a $330k wage budget and no transfer budget. We have a bit more money to play with, and I don't need to sign players on 3 year, $550 per year contracts...

Transfers:

Incoming

May 26th: Tony Clarke

June 15th: Steve Evans

June 22nd: Kevin Cross

July 1st: Sean Gill

July 4th: Bradley Wheeler

July 10th: James Reilly

July 11th: Craig Wright

"I'm excited about our signings. Some of them are depth signings while others have the ability to start in league games."

For his favourite signing, he said: "I believe Craig Wright has a lot of offer to the team. He's a steal."

Wallace also wants to keep finding players, through loan or permanent transfer, but he has so far come up empty by better clubs. As for positions that need strengthening, he said: "A left back and a right back who can push the current starters. I also want a couple versatile wingers, and I want to loan a starting goalkeeper."

Outgoing

May 20th: Ian Ross - Ilkeston - Free

June 29th: Jason 'Sagna' Evans - Nuneaton - Free

July 2nd: Neil Parker - Free

Pre-season Results (July 2010)

10th: vs Torquay - W 2-0

12th: vs Swindon - D 1-1

24th: vs MK Dons - L 1-2

29th: vs Tranmere - L 2-4

31st: vs Leyton Orient - L 0-1

Wallace on pre-season: "It was a good group of games against tough opposition. I wanted us to battle tested for the season, and I think we got what we wanted. We competed in all the games and we will be ready for the start of the season."

Position Battles

With the major step up to the Blue Square Premier, Wallace has declared that all 11 starting spots are up for the taking, along with the 5 substitute spots. "I like competition. It helps the squad improve and get better together. Of course, only 11 will start and 5 will make the bench. But it's good competition. I want us to be ready when we face Forest Green (the season opener)."

Pre-season stats

The starting XI lineup:

GK - Phil Brown

DR - Dan Farrington

DC - Eugene Dennehy

DC - Neil Fraser

DL - Eoghan Dillon

MR - Scott Beevers

MC- Michael Dunlop

MC - Craig Wright

ML - James Wilkes

ST - Sean Gill

ST - Joe Burns

"This is only our lineup against Forest Green, barring injury. It is not the lineup for the majority of the season. Our strikers haven't been the most consistent, so I want to play everyone to see who can play up front before I settle on a lineup."

August 2010 Fixtures:

7th: vs Forest Green

10th: at Salisbury

14th: vs Mansfield

17th: at Chelmsford

21st: vs Hayes & Yeading

28th: at Oxford

Danny Robert's Southern Softies

30.jpg&w=150&q=95

Blue Square South 2010/2011

I've edited my first update to add pictures of our new players and i've also added in the extra 2 signings i've made since. Below is an update on progress so far in the Pre-Season and League.

Pre-Season

Basingstoke Town 1 - 4 Ipswich (Harry Clark)

Basingstoke Town 0 - 5 Leeds United

Basingstoke Town 0 - 3 Charlton

Temperley 0 - 0 Basingstoke Town

Matareva 2 - 2 Basingstoke Town (Rick Coleman, Nathan Dimond)

Korean FA 0 - 0 Basingstoke Town

America TO (MG) 1 - 0 Basingstoke Town

Madureira 2 - 0 Basingstoke Town

Blue Square South

Dartford 0 - 1 Basingstoke Town

We definately deserved this victory, i was very suprised with how well we played after major concerns over lack of players due to our wage budget. We got off to a flyer as that man David Moore, yes! David Moore, scored a beauty from 20 yards only 3 minutes in! We then controlled the tempo and ran out with a 1 - 0 victory to kick start our season!

Basingstoke Town 2 - 0 Eastbourne Boro

This may look an easier victory by the scoreline to our previous game, but it definately wasn't. We got 2 early goals in the 21st and 24th minute, but for the rest of the game we were pushed back to our own goal. 1 major factor in this game was our Goalkeeper Kevin Henry, a great player for the team! Glen Avery scored the first, while our Left Defender transformed into striker Jamie Kearns scored the second!

Bromley 3 - 1 Basingstoke Town

We went into this game with a slight worry. Bromley were on form just like us, but were more threatening up front with 6 goals from their opening 2 games. We conceded in the 18th minute after pure domination from Bromley and then again in the 41st minute. We some how managed to enjoy a 20 minute spell of dominance and it paid off with a great 88th minute goal from Lance Hunter. We looked for the late equaliser, but we pushed up to far and conceded in the last second of injury time. Big shame, but we deserved to lose to a dominant Bromley team.

Basingstoke Town 1 - 0 Sutton United

A third victory in 4 games, looking very promising, but Sutton gave us a hard time and made us grind out a result. It took an own goal to gain victory here in the 36th minute! To be fair, their goalkeeper got man of the match which reflected the scoreline, fair play to him.

Bishop's Stortford 1 - 1 Basingstoke Town

Another difficult game yet again, we managed to score in the 58th minute after an end to end first half. David Moore was put clean through and didn't dissapoint. However, we couldn't get the second and in the 64th minute, we conceded a goal which id expect us to do better with. It was down hill from there and we never looked like winning the game and should be happy with the draw.

League Table

Well considering the wage budget, i think i got great players :D I actually looked for established BSS players at first, and then the newest 2 i found on the Transfer Speculation screen.

I was a little worried about our strikeforce, but we just won 4 - 1!

Well that makes sense then, and sweet 4:1 is a great score if you thought the strikeforce was a problem :)

Archived