Wallace v Roberts 2010

• Replies 966
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I enjoyed this despite the drop-off in interest, thanks everyone.

As far as I'm concerned it remains one of the premier challenges on the board, but I do wonder if the increasing complexity and time taken to go through seasons could be a factor in the lower participation levels this year. I know I struggled to complete and document my season within two weeks, and I have plenty of free time.

I think Polar Bear has a point, it can take ages to get through a season now. Personally I now can't help but watch every game on key highlights in the 3D and it takes forever. I've still only completed about 12 full seasons on FM10 since it came out, although that is partly a big change in personal circumstances but also as you say due to it just being far more comprehensive and time consuming than ever. Certainly seems that most people give their season(s) the time and attention it needs to get anywhere, which seems to often be more than 2 weeks whereas people were banging them out in a few days no bother previously.

Unfortunately I won't be running it this year either, have resolved to complete Dafuge's challenge for the first time in many years with FM2010 but only on the 10th season and in the Championship with Bradford PA despite starting about March, so thinking it could take some time yet. As such strongly resisting the temptation to buy FM11.

What about shortening the distance the club needs to travel then? We start way down in the Blue Square North and South which used to be fun but with the challenges on this board nowadays, the promotion from non-league is a bit old hat. Could it be started in League 2 so that the teams hit the Premier League quicker which would add more interest?

One suggestion I'd have is that the thread title should make clear that it's a succession game. I think I was a board regular for two or three years before I thought to click on it. To my knowledge it's the only succession challenge there is - if this is explicit in the title it might draw more participants.

I'm still enjoying FM2010 far too much to be concerned about getting the new one - poor SI, victims of their own success! - so I'm afraid I can't offer to run it either.

Archived