Editing Media Sources + Journalists

Colorado

The newspapers and other media sources in the game are quite realistic for English leagues but I've found that in some nations they are fairly unrealistic.

Does anyone know who to ammend the media data so I can change the names to add newspapers from other countries etc rather than having the Buenos Aires football post etc?

I will try and make a huge update and release it as media interaction seems to be significantly improved.

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • SI Staff
Yeah I think it will be possible. I am sure i saw someone from SI saying so in a post.

You edit it in the edt files.

I have done a fairly comprehensive one for the USA and Canada. I'll post a link for download as soon as the game is out.

Excellent, can you explain to me in detail what you've done. I'm not sure about these edt files. Also is this on the demo or FM08?

Private message me if easier. I'm looking to do quite a comprehensive one for South America firstly and then Europe.

I've been fiddling with the Media Source Edit files but am not having any luck adding any new media sources.

I want to be able to add a couple of real papers to cover the whole of the nation and then not get any made up media comments.

What EXACTLY should I be doing? I've read the edit file and I'm still getting made up media sources.

Can you sent me the file mate so I can see excatly what I've done wrong?

I want to do something similar for South America.

I read the text explaining quite clearly and I they still dont appear in the game and fake media sources are continuing to be used within the game.

Yeah I will do it as soon as I can get them to appear in the game and completely replace the fake media sources.

Finding the correct newspapers is relatively easy, it's adding them to the Media Edit file that's the problem.

Sorry to keep posting. I think I know what the problem is.

I cannot get the correct amount of " in the right places.

Can anyone from here or SI provide me of two further examples:

a daily newspaper which covers a competition.

and a daily newspaper which covers a city.

I can use them as a template then.

PLEASE help! Many thanks.

a daily newspaper which covers a competition.

and a daily newspaper which covers a city.

"MEDIA_SOURCE" "Associated Press" "MEDIA_SOURCE_SCOPE_COMPETITION" "" "" "" "" "" "22-German First Division" "MEDIA_SOURCE_TYPE_NEWSPAPER" "MEDIA_SOURCE_PERIOD_WEEKDAY_MORNING" "" "MEDIA_SOURCE_STYLE_BROADSHEET"

"MEDIA_SOURCE" "Stuttgarter Zeitung" "MEDIA_SOURCE_SCOPE_LOCAL" "" "631-Stuttgart" "" "" "" "" "MEDIA_SOURCE_TYPE_NEWSPAPER" "MEDIA_SOURCE_PERIOD_WEEKDAY_MORNING" "" "MEDIA_SOURCE_STYLE_BROADSHEET"

German media file is here

Sorry to be a pain mate. I notice that these are for Broadsheet, what about tabloid?

I'm hoping to get this all done tonight by tomorrow.

ARG, BRA, CHI, COL, MEX, PERU

All club competitions will be covered and the major cities in each country.

My patch is done It removes nearly all of the fake media sources in the following counties:

Mexico, U.S.A, Argentina, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Peru and Uruguay.

You may want to add some more of your own (it is impossible to cover every city in South America) but all the influential footballing cities in each country have been allocated media sources plus the nation in general too. Some false media sources (not many) do still appear though. (thanks to DerMef for the help)

Havent uploaded it anywhere yet but will do so tomorrow at some point. If you want it in the meanwhile, feel free to email me (profile) and I'll send it to you.

• SI Staff

My enhanced US/Canadian media file has been completed (save the KC stuff, which I gave my best effort). You can download it here:

It's fairly comprehensive....actually, it's got pretty much everything we'd need for MLS (covering both the US and Canadian markets). I've even added national and USL media, just for good measure.

If anyone has anything they'd like to add to this please feel free, just send me a copy when you're done so I can update my own version.

Cheers.

I intend to do a file for the french media. But I have a (stupid) question :

If one creates and assigns a media to a country, will it automatically cover all competitions and clubs in this country, or will one have to duplicate the media ?

My second question is about the editor : if you use it to create a new media (which may be easier) you have a scope field and below you can assign nation, continent etc... I find it a little bit confusing, as you can create a media, set its scope to a country, and assign it to a country (oviously). This is ok, but what if you check also another option (club for example) ?

First of all, you don't use the data editor if that's what you mean. You do it through the media edit file which is in the data folder.

About your first question, I'm not entirely sure myself about this. On my pack I made sure each nation had at least two media scources and then the major footballing cities had at least one of their own media sources. I would of thought that would cover things but I still get a few fake media sources appearing in the game.

Take Uruguay for example almost all the clubs are based in the city of Montevideo. I've created a few media sources for Uruguay as a nation. I then made sure the actual city had a few scources too. But news involving Montevideo based clubs, still sometimes appears in fake media sources.

I'm not quite sure about this myself. I'd like someone from SI to comment on this so that they can explain how to do it properly.

I'm very much a newbie to editing media sources but am really interested in doing so as with the new pree conferences it adds a who new dimension to the game. However, alot of what is being written in these threads is confusing me. So does someone have a link to a 'media editing for beginners' type thread. I specifically want to sort out Italy and not have all my press conferences being conducted through worldsoccermagazine.com by A Journalist.

Thanks in advance.

First of all, you don't use the data editor if that's what you mean. You do it through the media edit file which is in the data folder.

Why? Surely the create media source function in the editor is there for a reason? Or am I missing something here? Just seems a lot easier to me to do it in the editor. Feel free to correct me.

Why? Surely the create media source function in the editor is there for a reason? Or am I missing something here? Just seems a lot easier to me to do it in the editor. Feel free to correct me.

You can do it either way. I have not tried either for media sources but prefer to use edt files when I can as I find them much more convenient and quicker.

• SI Staff

Only just had the time to look in here but glad to see that people are taking this on. I hope it's all fairly self-explanatory. I've had a quick look through this thread and it seems the people who were a bit stuck have been helped out so thanks for that.

As it states in the edt files, you can cross-link journalists and media sources and I'm sure people have worked this out by now. Obviously the more different media sources and nations the better and I'm sure there'll be people making them available to the wider community for download in the near future.

Any problems or queries, I'll try and get back to you.

Yes, I'm sure you would need two entries for Brian Glanville, one for each.

Nick- thanks for posting in here. The one queiry which cannot be answered is how to completely remove fake media. I posted an example earlier about Uruguay.

I'm going to try to update the Italian one for 6 national newspapers;

1. La Gazzetta dello Sport

(daily sports newspaper)

published in Milan

2. Corrire dello Sport

(daily sports newspaper)

published in Rome

3. TuttoSport

(daily sports newspaper)

published in Turin

4. La Repubblica

(daily newspaper)

published in Rome

5. La Stampa

(daily newspaper)

published in Turin

6. Corriere della Sera

(daily newspaper)

published in Milan

Also have Sky Italia (TV) & most Serie A clubs have their own TV channels

I downloaded the American Media update and the game crash dumped on me during the database load, then i rstored the orignial edt files for media and the game worked fine. thats FM 2009 9.01

Just spent 5 hours trying to figure out why my saved game loads but creating a new one did not. A crush dump occurs.

Removing this file was the answer!

Still plodding away on the English update - should have it done by tomorrow evening :)

I'm trying to add in as many local radio stations, papers, fanzines etc as possible, so it takes time...

Really looking forward to that one. Thanks for the update, will pop in here tomorrow afternoon then to see if its finished :)

One other question on the Media Sources - the help text says that these should have an ID number, but I cannot see it anywhere in the data editor?

Also, (ok 2 questions!) do team names have to be short or long, or does it not matter? I'm putting long names currently, but it can be easily edited if need be.

Hmm, strange - I've just loaded up with Aljarov's file fine... It's a nice touch getting to see the journalists and their personality... Damn that untrustworthy NYT journo and his persistent questioning! :D This test does confirm that I've no idea how the MLS works though :(

What leagues did you load up? Did you include both the media and journalist files, and tick them both in Preferences?

Archived