FM2009 Official Southampton Thread

Matthew Le God

Fancy a challenge in FM09?

• Want a Championship side, one promotion away from the Premiership pot of gold? (tick)
  • Want a team with little money so you have to use your management ability? (tick)
  • Want a team with great youngsters you can bring through? (tick)
  • Want a team with a great youth academy and training setup? (tick)
  • Want a team with a large fan base, modern large stadium with ability to expand? (tick)

Choose life, choose Southampton!

Southampton_FC.png

Southampton F.C. Guide - Football Manager 2009

Club Information

Background

Name: Southampton

Nickname: The Saints

Founded: 1885

Home Kit: Red & white striped shirt, black shorts, red and white hooped socks

Away Kit: Grey shirt, shorts and socks. All with red and white piping

Rivals: Portsmouth

Minor Rivals: Bournemouth

Affiliations: Eastleigh, Exeter City, Quingdao Zhongneng

Legends: Matthew Le Tissier, Gordan Strachan, Lawrie McMenemy

Icons: Kevin Keegan, Michael Svensson, Glenn Cockerill, Mark Dennis, Nick Holmes, Tim Flowers, Wayne Bridge, Dave Jones, Peter Shilton, Kevin Moore, Mick Mills, Rod Wallace, Chris Marsden, Claus Lundekvam, Alan Shearer, Chris Nicholl, Jason Dodd, Francis Benali,Anti Niemi,Mark Wright,Marian Pahars, Jimmy Case

Favoured Personnel: Andrew Surman, Matthew Oakley, Chris Baird, James Beattie, Gareth Bale, Theo Walcott

Disliked Staff: Harry Redknapp, Milan Mandaric

League: English Championship

Media Prediction: 19th

Team Captain: Michael Svensson

Vice Captain: Chris Perry

Finances

Estimated Value: £14.75m

Loan Debt: £19m (£190k/per month untill 2025)

Balance: £2m

Transfer Budget: £0

Remaining Wage Budget: £0 p/w

Stadium and Training

Ground: St. Mary’s, Southampton

Capacity: 32,689

Expansion Capacity: 54,000

Season Ticket Holders: 9,500

Average Ticket Price: £26

Average Season Ticket Price: £470

Training ground: Staplewood

Training Facilities: Top Training Facilities

Youth Facilities: Excellent Youth Facilities + Youth Academy

Staff

Chairman: Rupert Lowe

Director: Michael Wilde

Director: Andrew Cowen

Director: David Jones

Head Coach: Jan Poortvliet

Assistant Manager: Mark Wotte

Coach: Dave Hockaday

Goalkeeper Coach: Macolm Webster

Fitness Coach: Nick Harvey

Youth Coach: Stewart Henderson

Youth Coach: Matthew Crocker

Youth Coach: Terry Moore

Youth Coach: David Puckett

Physio: Mo Gimpel

Physio: Andy Barr

Physio: Chris Lovegrove

Scout: Gavin Tait

Scout: Scott McLachlan

Squad Analysis

Jan Poortvliet's Formation

Goalkeeper

Right Back    Centre Back         Centre Back      Left Back

Central Midfield     Central Midfield

Right Wing           Attacking Midfield            Left Wing

Striker

Poortvliet is a former Dutch international and played for the Netherlands in the 1978 World Cup final against Argentina. He likes to play "total football" in a 4231 formation. High tempo, quick passing football is the name of the game. Utilizing the full width of the pitch with wingers and attacking full backs. The two central midfielders are there to sit in front of the back four and break up attacks and start them for Saints. The front four positions all interchange throughout the game and the emphasis is very much on youth with good pace and movement.

Goalkeepers

Current number one keeper is Kelvin Davis with two young keepers; Polish under 21 international Bartosz Bialkowski and summer purchase from Tottenham Hotspur Tommy Forecast battling it out for the number two spot.

Youngster to watch = Andrej Pernecky

Left Backs

Andrew Surman is the current incumbent of this postion in the Southampton side although naturally a midfield player Jan Poortvliet likes his fullbacks make forward runs and start moves. Rudolph Skacel has also played much of his career in forward positions but is also able to cover at left back.

Youngster to watch = Joseph Mills

image.php?id=765611&type=full

Andrew Surman

Right Backs

Academy graduate Lloyd James has converted from his normal central midfield position to establish himself as the clubs first choice right back. England under 19 captain Jack Cork on loan from Chelsea can also cover for this position.

Youngster to watch = Jamie Hatch

Centre Backs

After nearly four years without regular football due to a very serious knee injury, Michael Svensson has been made club captain. He is a natural leader and his determination to succeed in matches and return to the sport is reflected in his nickname “Killer”. Veteran Chris Perry also adds some much needed experience in a very young squad. Chelsea loanee Jack Cork and Wayne Thomas provide cover.

Youngsters to watch = Oliver Lancashire and Aaran Racine

Central Midfielders

Possible signing of the season was French youth international Morgan Schneiderlin comfortable on the ball he like to sit in front of the defense and break out quickly. His central midfield partner is terrier like Simon Gillett who covers every blade of grass to break down opposition attacks and start his own. Providing cover is experienced former Plymouth Argyle captain Paul Wotton and much derided Anthony Pulis.

b471cb2803578cd7c5ac17aa4039012a.jpg

Morgan Schneiderlin

Left Wingers

Summer free transfer signing Lee Holmes has started to reinvigorate his career which had stalled at Derby County and has claimed the left wing role. Experieced Rudolph Skacel and Andrew Surman can also play in this role but are needed in the left back slot.

Youngster to watch = Jamie White

Right Wingers

There is a lot of competition for this place in the Saints team. Nathan Dyer and his explosive speed can be a very useful asset. Strikers Bradley Wright-Phillips and David McGoldrick can also be used in this role and interchange with the other attacking positions.

Youngster to watch = Jake Thomson

JakeThompson_L.jpg

Jake Thomson

Attacking Midfielders

Adam Lallana broke into the first team and the end of last season and has since made the position just off the striker his own. A naturally gifted player he has excellent technique both in distributing the ball and running at defenders. Romain Gasmi on loan from RC Strasborg was once dubbed “the next Zidane” by coach Jean Pierre-Papin and is there to provide competition for this position. David McGoldrick can also cover for this position if needed.

Strikers

Last seasons top scorer Stern John would be the obvious choice for the strikers role. However academy graduate David McGoldrick or loanee from Tottenham Thomas Pekhart may suit the style better. Bradley Wright-Phillips is also a possibility for a starting role in this postion.

Youngster to watch = Matthew Paterson

My tips for success with Southampton

• Give Poortvliet's 4231 formation a try. The players in the squad suit it.
  • Due to lack of finance make good use of the young players already at the club from the strong youth academy.
  • Try to loan quality young players from the Premiership in problem positions such as the full back area.
  • Make a 2/3 year plan for a promotion push, it will be hard to do in the first year.

• Replies 593
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yes?

Shame it's put early again, seems the Portsmouth thread has started a bad trend....

Good thread though.

Thanks

Why is it a bad trend, it is only 36 hours before the demo thus gives people an idea about who to manager first on the demo? Anyway lets not discuss that and just use it for Southampton FM chat :)

Both this and the Portsmouth thread are by the researcher of the team and so give a useful insight into the clubs. :cool:

First of all congratulations! What a great opening post.

As you can you see and probaly know im a Southampton supporter.

I can see this thread is going to be a great help to alot of people. (y)

One little thing. Stern John and Nathan Dyer are not at the club, and we have got Jordan Robertson and Ryan Smith on loan since then. Also we got Alex Pearce on loan from Reading.

Otherwise quality!

Never let this thread die!

First of all congratulations! What a great opening post.

As you can you see and probaly know im a Southampton supporter.

I can see this thread is going to be a great help to alot of people. (y)

One little thing. Stern John and Nathan Dyer are not at the club, and we have got Jordan Robertson and Ryan Smith on loan since then. Also we got Alex Pearce on loan from Reading.

Otherwise quality!

Never let this thread die!

Thanks, I hope Saints fans and neutrals do keep this thread going this year!

Stern John and Nathan Dyer will be at Saints and Jordan Robertson, Alex Pearce and Ryan Smith won't in FM09.

Football Manager never includes short term loans made after the transfer deadline in August.

Possible transfer targets

Alan Maybury RB (Free Transfer)

Stephen Carr RB (Free Transfer)

Ian Harte LB (Free Transfer)

Celestine Babayaro LB (Free Transfer)

Quinton Fortune LB (Free Transfer)

Philippe Christanval CB (Free Transfer)

Seth Johnson DM (Free Transfer)

Kiki Musampa AML (Free Transfer)

Thats all i cant think of.

You will have to sell some players in order to fund the wages for these players.

Hope this helps.

Guest roberto922
Portsmouth all the way. Theres only 1 team in Hampshire. FA Cup Holders 1939,1940,1941,1042,1943,1944,1945,2008

One last comment, you call that a history? :rolleyes:

After looking at the squad there is one area that clearly needs strengthening; the defence. Svennsson is good but is injury prone and always has low condition. The full back positions are weak i recomend you get some players in. Insua, Babayro, Trabelsi and Carr are good players on either on loan or free. I sold BWP to generate some funds. Try and get an affilite team.

Is that what you wanted George? Here is the screenshot you tried earlier.

squadua2.jpg

In order to do that...

1) Right click on the image in imageshack

2) Goto properties

3) Copy the URL/address

4) Then when making a post type Insert URL Here

You may also find this helpful http://80.64.58.203/misc.php?do=bbcode :)

P.S. edit those posts above to tidy the thread up ;) Maybe put some screenshots of your Saints game in and pratice with the BB code. :cool:

squadcr6.jpg

Here is my current squad. The players selected are my strongest starting 11 (I think). I am planning on selling Bradley Wright Phillips and Anthony Pulis. Can you tell me what my strongest line up is and areas i need to strengthen please.

Thanks for the help MLG :)

Great first post

I think the full back positions are fine. Surman and Skacel both do well at left back and James, Cork, and Thomas can play at right back. For me the weakest areas are CB and ST.

Anyone else find that they were offered the same budget regardless of whether they chose to win the league or attempt to avoid relegation?

So far i've tried three formations standard 4-4-2, 4-4-1-1, and 4-2-3-1 which has proved quite successful. This being with two centre mids and AMC, AML, AMR.

I may hold off playing properly untill a few of the faults have been sorted out, mainly injuries and own goals.

Great first post

I think the full back positions are fine. Surman and Skacel both do well at left back and James, Cork, and Thomas can play at right back. For me the weakest areas are CB and ST.

Anyone else find that they were offered the same budget regardless of whether they chose to win the league or attempt to avoid relegation?

So far i've tried three formations standard 4-4-2, 4-4-1-1, and 4-2-3-1 which has proved quite successful. This being with two centre mids and AMC, AML, AMR.

I may hold off playing properly untill a few of the faults have been sorted out, mainly injuries and own goals.

Yeah i think 4-2-3-1 works well. See i disagree with the full back postions. Surman and Skacel cant tackle. James is pretty poor and Thomas a centre back he has no pace and cant cross. (Im using Cork in CM).

Are you playing 4-2-3-1 with DM's or CM's MattSFC?

I think the first thing is to get rid of all the high earners i just hate high earnres

Stern John, Jason Euell, Rudi Skacel, Bradley Wright-Phillips, Andrew Surman, Kelvin Davis are the highest earners.

If you are looking to reduce the wage budget Wright-Phillips should be the first to go. Another player that you could let go is Chris Perry, 4k a week, considering he is not good enough to get into the first team.

Stern John, Jason Euell, Rudi Skacel, Bradley Wright-Phillips, Andrew Surman, Kelvin Davis are the highest earners.

If you are looking to reduce the wage budget Wright-Phillips should be the first to go. Another player that you could let go is Chris Perry, 4k a week, considering he is not good enough to get into the first team.

Yeah BWP should be sold he is on 8K a week. Perry could be sold and be replaced with Philippe Christanval.

Matt answer my question up there please :)

Yeah i think 4-2-3-1 works well. See i disagree with the full back postions. Surman and Skacel cant tackle. James is pretty poor and Thomas a centre back he has no pace and cant cross. (Im using Cork in CM).

Are you playing 4-2-3-1 with DM's or CM's MattSFC?

I agree in real life they do not makes good full backs, however in the game they seem to be doing a good job. They may not do as well against some of the better attackers in the league though.

I'm playing with two CM's. All my midfielders have arrows going forward, as do my full backs. My centre backs have arrows going backwards.

I agree in real life they do not makes good full backs, however in the game they seem to be doing a good job. They may not do as well against some of the better attackers in the league though.

I'm playing with two CM's. All my midfielders have arrows going forward, as do my full backs. My centre backs have arrows going backwards.

Some good full backs on frees are

Hatem Trabelsi

Stephen Carr

Celestine Babyaro

I play with two DM's might change it to CM's though.

Archived