Most heart breaking season ever

I don't know what I need to do to win anymore. Leading by 3 points with 2 games left, I drew with Villareal then Barcelona in the last two games with Real Madrid coming third the whole season winning at the death by tie break. What's worst is I completely dominated both games, and I knew the game was going to **** me up all along. My heart is broken, I don't think I can play this anymore.

79823382du5.jpg

w800.png

Thats just unlucky mate :(. I guess the only bit of advice I can give you is to make sure you try and pick up as many points against the top clubs (Real Madrid, Barcelona etc.) because that will decide who wins the league at the end of the season.

Cheers for clearing that up Wee Aja.

I's crap though, you could dominate the league, hammer all before you and have a goal difference >50+ more than your closest rival, but if their record against you is, say, a win and a draw, then they finish above you on that basis.

oooh god this brings back memorys!!!

i dont have any screenshots or proof but back in fm06 i think or 07... i was in a premiership title race and i was tottenham top of the table by 6 points with 3 games left (but loads of teams had games in hand on me) i lost my last 3 games and out of nowhere Aston Villa won the title on the last day I DIDNT EVEN KNOW THEY HAD A SHOT! they won it on points difference coz they beat someone like 5-0 on their last day.

During that summer Aston Villa were buying players like Nistelrooy and Quaresma and i kept thinking 'it should have been me' it was awful.

spain is annoying like that on fm08. i was also sevilla manager, and i finished second once, despite breaking unbeaten run records every season. there were more last minute draws than wins in those runs, and i had been top and finished 3rd or 4th on sevaral occasions during the last 5 games of a season.

i had always managed madrid in other versions, but they are almost invincible on this version. i beat barca every time i play them, valencia is about even, but i've lost 2-0 leads against madrid every time i've played them for the last 4 seasons.

Try this for the most heart-breaking season ever.

I had spent 6 years trying to get St. Albans City promoted from the Championship to the Premiership.

I had suffered three failures in the playoffs.

Finally, I come to a season where my side had got themselves into a position where they could get automatic promotion.

It all came down to the last three games of the season.

Picture the scene - Barnsley are sitting in 2nd place, and we have a game in hand with two points to make up on the automatic promotion places.

Our game in hand was against Sheffield Wednesday away from home. I played a fairly bold attacking tactic and was dancing in jubilation when one of my players scored a wonder goal from well outside the box. However, my celebration was short lived as we failed to hold onto our lead, and despite creating plenty of chances to win the game, drew 1-1.

With two games to go we were now one point away from Barnsley and automatic promotion. Next up, another away game, this time against Bristol City (a bogey side for my club). I dreaded this game, but knew we had to at least draw to keep any chance of automatic promotion. So, of course, Bristol City scored in the first half, in a game that we were dominating. Finally, we get the breakthrough late on in the game, only for Bristol City to go straight back up the other end and score to make it 2-1 and seal up the three points. My side had once again collapsed under the pressure.

The only relief for us was that Barnsley unexpectedly drew, which was a huge let off. Had we won against Bristol City, we could have gone into the last game a point ahead, rather than being two points behind.

Everton had already got the Championship title in the bag so Barnsley were the only team in our sights. The last game brought Millwall to St. Albans stadium, meanwhile Barnsley played host to Leeds United.

Now for the maths part: Saints had to beat Millwall regardless of anything and would only be promoted if Barnsley did NOT win. Our superior goal difference meant that if Barnsley drew and we won, we would go up.

We would win this game and if results went our way elsewhere then we would go up. I told the side they could win today and send themselves into the Premier League.

So they went out and conceded a penalty in the first 20 minutes! After that, the team looked like they couldn't have scored a goal in five football matches, nevermind one. They were absolutely crap. A 1-0 loss to Millwall.

So, I faced the play-offs again. I could have cried. My team was the biggest bunch of big-game bottlers I have ever had the misfortune to manage.

The worst thing was that our points total would have won us promotion in any normal season. We had managed to accumulate 89 points - a club record - which is more than enough for a title win normally!

So yet another play-off semi-final. We were drawn against Derby County in the semi-finals. Having finished 17 points clear of them, I was feeling very resentful at having to play them for a place in the final. A comfortable victory followed and took us to the final.

We were through to our second play-off final in three years and we would face West Brom - a team we had beaten home and away this season and a side who finished 16 points below us.

So, in typical style, Saints got off to the worse start possible, as West Brom scored in the 1st minute of the final. We equalised just before half-time and there was no real difference between the two sides. I asked the lads for more of the same. In the 57th minute, West Brom were awarded a throw-in deep in our half and the City defenders stood like statues and watched as a West Brom striker received the ball and smashed it into the Saints net. I felt the thud as it hit the back of the net in my throat and in my heart. I can honestly say that I felt like crying. My bunch of big game bottlers had done it again.

Even more typical, we had the ball in the back of the net five minutes later, only for it to be ruled out for offside. The referee and linesman were clearly rooting for West Brom. Yet another decision went against us in the 88th minute as we conceded a controversial penalty. West Brom scored it to send them up to the Premier League and to force St. Albans City to play their football in the Championship for yet another season.

After the game, I contested the decision about the penalty, saying that it was a 'shocking decision that had ruined the game'. The FA remained silent about my outburst - you know, the way they do when they know you are right and the decision was a bad one.

St. Albans City had accumulated enough points to be promoted in any other season. And then, in the play-offs, against a side who we'd beaten twice and who had finished 16 points below us, we bottled it.

What an unbelievable season - what unbelievably bad luck. :(

You know the handy tips that come up when the game is processing? Well they quite wonderfully told me that 'to resign as manager of your current team, click on manager and resign' just after I had lost yet another playoff final. Ah, so tempting…

But I didn't quit and I managed to take St. Albans City in to the Premiership the following season by winning the title! (However, I did it with less points than the previous season when I had come 3rd and failed miserably in the play-offs!)

That's what you have to do now! Get back to it and win the title! :)

I had spent 6 years trying to get St. Albans City promoted from the Championship to the Premiership.

Finally, I come to a season where my side had got themselves into a position where they could get automatic promotion.

Picture the scene - Barnsley are sitting in 2nd place, and we have a game in hand with two points to make up on the automatic promotion places.

Our game in hand was against Sheffield Wednesday away from home. I played a fairly bold attacking tactic and was dancing in jubilation when one of my players scored a wonder goal from well outside the box. However, my celebration was short lived as we failed to hold onto our lead, and despite creating plenty of chances to win the game, drew 1-1.

With two games to go we were now one point away from Barnsley and automatic promotion. Next up, another away game, this time against Bristol City (a bogey side for my club). I dreaded this game, but knew we had to at least draw to keep any chance of automatic promotion. So, of course, Bristol City scored in the first half, in a game that we were dominating. Finally, we get the breakthrough late on in the game, only for Bristol City to go straight back up the other end and score to make it 2-1 and seal up the three points. My side had once again collapsed under the pressure.

The only relief for us was that Barnsley unexpectedly drew, which was a huge let off. Had we won against Bristol City, we could have gone into the last game a point ahead, rather than being two points behind.

Everton had already got the Championship title in the bag so Barnsley were the only team in our sights. The last game brought Millwall to St. Albans stadium, meanwhile Barnsley played host to Leeds United.

Now for the maths part: Saints had to beat Millwall regardless of anything and would only be promoted if Barnsley did NOT win. Our superior goal difference meant that if Barnsley drew and we won, we would go up.

We would win this game and if results went our way elsewhere then we would go up. I told the side they could win today and send themselves into the Premier League.

So they went out and conceded a penalty in the first 20 minutes! After that, the team looked like they couldn't have scored a goal in five football matches, nevermind one. They were absolutely crap. A 1-0 loss to Millwall.

So, I faced the play-offs again. I could have cried. My team was the biggest bunch of big-game bottlers I have ever had the misfortune to manage.

The worst thing was that our points total would have won us promotion in any normal season. We had managed to accumulate 89 points - a club record - which is more than enough for a title win normally!

So yet another play-off semi-final. We were drawn against Derby County in the semi-finals. Having finished 17 points clear of them, I was feeling very resentful at having to play them for a place in the final. A comfortable victory followed and took us to the final.

We were through to our second play-off final in three years and we would face West Brom - a team we had beaten home and away this season and a side who finished 16 points below us.

So, in typical style, Saints got off to the worse start possible, as West Brom scored in the 1st minute of the final. We equalised just before half-time and there was no real difference between the two sides. I asked the lads for more of the same. In the 57th minute, West Brom were awarded a throw-in deep in our half and the City defenders stood like statues and watched as a West Brom striker received the ball and smashed it into the Saints net. I felt the thud as it hit the back of the net in my throat and in my heart. I can honestly say that I felt like crying. My bunch of big game bottlers had done it again.

Even more typical, we had the ball in the back of the net five minutes later, only for it to be ruled out for offside. The referee and linesman were clearly rooting for West Brom. Yet another decision went against us in the 88th minute as we conceded a controversial penalty. West Brom scored it to send them up to the Premier League and to force St. Albans City to play their football in the Championship for yet another season.

After the game, I contested the decision about the penalty, saying that it was a 'shocking decision that had ruined the game'. The FA remained silent about my outburst - you know, the way they do when they know you are right and the decision was a bad one.

St. Albans City had accumulated enough points to be promoted in any other season. And then, in the play-offs, against a side who we'd beaten twice and who had finished 16 points below us, we bottled it.

You know the handy tips that come up when the game is processing? Well they quite wonderfully told me that 'to resign as manager of your current team, click on manager and resign' just after I had lost yet another playoff final. Ah, so tempting…

But I didn't quit and I managed to take St. Albans City in to the Premiership the following season by winning the title! (However, I did it with less points than the previous season when I had come 3rd and failed miserably in the play-offs!)

^^This is why FM is the greatest game ever. Brilliant story mate, I really enjoyed reading that!

To the OP - keep it up, there's still 2 weeks until FM09! Or you could wait and embark on another challenge when it's released and have a break from FM for a bit.

Ah the memories. That was a story in the stories forums as well. Very fond of it as well I was.

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=13208&highlight=crouchaldinho

This is the link for the story if anyones interested

This is why I never manage in Spain, Madrid are behemoths for 50 years. Every other big league I've had success in, in Spain once I got to the top league I spent 6 seasons getting to FIFTH in the league....Madrid regularily cained me (ROBINHO!!!!!!!!!).

Fantastic story. Really pleased you made it in the end. You write very well.

• Administrators

Ah yes, time to retell my tale of FM05 woe once more.

Managing Fulham, going toe-to-toe with Arsenal all through the season. Won 5-1 at the Emirates, was held to a 3-3 draw by them at Craven Cottage, their goals coming on 92 and 95 mins to steal a point. So we go into the last day, myself away to Charlton, needing a single point to win the title.

We go 1-0 up, but then lose goalkeeper to injury. I've got no replacement on the bench for the only time all season as they're all injured. Bugger. So I stick Mohamed Zidan in goal, and go 2-0 up. Charlton slowly mount some pressure and get to 1-2, and then level it, but that's alright, it's all we need.

95th minute, long ball over the top, Tom Soetaers reaches it, and scores. Charlton win, table finishes thus:

cruel.jpg

Lost the UEFA Cup Final 3 days later too. Gutted.

Ah yes, time to retell my tale of FM05 woe once more.

Managing Fulham, going toe-to-toe with Arsenal all through the season. Won 5-1 at the Emirates, was held to a 3-3 draw by them at Craven Cottage, their goals coming on 92 and 95 mins to steal a point. So we go into the last day, myself away to Charlton, needing a single point to win the title.

We go 1-0 up, but then lose goalkeeper to injury. I've got no replacement on the bench for the only time all season as they're all injured. Bugger. So I stick Mohamed Zidan in goal, and go 2-0 up. Charlton slowly mount some pressure and get to 1-2, and then level it, but that's alright, it's all we need.

95th minute, long ball over the top, Tom Soetaers reaches it, and scores. Charlton win, table finishes thus:

cruel.jpg

Lost the UEFA Cup Final 3 days later too. Gutted.

Thats brilliant though

100 points?! mate that is incredibly unlucky. I've played this game for over 10 years, won the European cup x amount of times, but can count on one hand the number of times I have broken the 100 point barrier.

Get your revenge by bringing home the European Cup next year - knock those state-backed chancers out on the way!

Archived