My 2 best centre-backs are ball playing defenders, how should I use them?

So I am in my 2nd season with Liverpool and my 2 best highest rated centre-backs are Emre Can and Stefan De Vrij, both rated 4 star in this position. The problem is is that these player are both at their best as ball playing defenders, so what should I do?

Should I play them both as ball playing defenders to use them to their maximum potential, or would that be dangerous?

Should I play one as a ball playing defender, and one as a normal central defender? If so, which one would you play as which?

Or should I just play them both as normal central defenders?

Try not to get too hung up on the names of the Player Roles, the names can be deceiving. The difference between a ball-playing centre back and a normal centre back is minimal:

• The BPD has marginally (so small you'll never notice) shorter passing
  • The BPD also plays riskier passes.
  • The BPD also has the option to (but not automatically) dribble or shoot more

See for yourself..

"Ball Playing" Defender

BG5Jmyj.png

Standard Defender

zbRmNVu.png

As you can see it's a really minor question. Do you want your centre back playing risky passes, shooting or dribbling?

Personally I don't. The instruction is also slightly redundant. If you have a Centre Back with good technical ability, vision and composure then he'll play as a ball playing defender anyway.

No matter what instructions you give to Mats Hummels, he's not going to play like Per Mertesacker and - unfortunately - no matter what instructions you give Per Mertesacker, he's not going to play like Mats Hummels!

Attributes are way more important than instructions in this case.

What role you should choose for any player, is the role that suits your tactics and playing style the best - not what the game thinks is the "best" role for the player. The game does not know what your tactics is or your playing style looks like. Then you put into that role the player that fits best/is the best. BPD or CD? First find out if a BPD is beneficial, wanted or necessary for your tactics. If you think it is, then you have a couple of central defenders that fits the role well. If it isn't, then you don't use them as BPD's.

I'd just like to backup what others have already said.

What the players are capable of doing is limited by there attributes, what you want them to try to do is dependent on your instructions to them. If you play a player the game things is a good BPD and a normal CD then he won't look to take risks and will be more reliable with the ball due to his composure, passing accuracy, vision to see all the options etc.

Archived