Why would you go on trial with a club you don't want to sign for?

Happened to me too, I had a guy on trial who had no right being at my club. I'm a level 10 team & was able to trial a former Bolton Taiwan International, got a hattrick in his one game too, was gutted he weren't interested in signing :D

IMO I would say a minor one.

Personally speaking if he was outside your scouting range you shouldn't have been targeting him anyway. The bug should perhaps be that you could offer him a trial at all.

Wouldn't agree with this. Quite often see clubs at L2/Conference level bring a couple of foreign players on trial, but wouldn't expect them to have scouts in France etc.

second this. i got quite a few players who were without contracts that came for a trial just to tell me they aren't interested in signing a contract. one of them changed his mind afterwards (the trial already finished). I was able to lure on trial a player that was a backup in a team two divisions above me. he also rejected me saying my team is not of a standard he would like to play at.

occasionaly it could happen, but it happens too often in FM. those players shouldn't be interested in trial if they don't have at least slight interest in signing a contract.

This happened a lot on FM14 and seems to happen on 15 as well. A player will come on trial, but will refuse to enter discussions, usually due to stature in the game or financial reasons. Are they just coming on trial to stay fit, or hope a bigger club is watching the trial? Otherwise it doesn't really make sense to me.

Sometimes they will even come on trial but then refuse to enter discussions because "the money on offer isn't enough to convince me to relocate", which is strange as why make the effort to travel for a trial in the first place?

Wouldn't agree with this. Quite often see clubs at L2/Conference level bring a couple of foreign players on trial, but wouldn't expect them to have scouts in France etc.
Completely disagree.

How else do you think lower league clubs have foreigners?

Plenty of reasons tbh:

A) Its not unreasonable to assume league clubs have some scouting knowledge of Western Europe.

B) The players could have previously been at other clubs in England/UK.

C) They might be foreign but have links to England.

Should clarify that this issue with players being willing to come on trial but not actually discuss a contract is not just limited to players outside scouting range, that was just the example given in the OP. It happens a lot with players within the same country.

Would be interested in SI clarifying whether this is working as intended?

Plenty of reasons tbh:

A) Its not unreasonable to assume league clubs have some scouting knowledge of Western Europe.

B) The players could have previously been at other clubs in England/UK.

C) They might be foreign but have links to England.

I know for a fact that some Swedish lower league clubs just bring in African players based on word of mouth "suggestions". This might be what you mean with C) however.

Archived