correct english?

As a native speaker I can confirm that it is "correct".

Keep in mind that English varies wildly region to region, and that "correct" English really isn't a thing beyond late 19th, early 20th century classism and racism being pushed through the classroom. There are standard forms taught as an aid for learning it as a second language, but ultimately the type of English used depends largely on where something was written. There are two key steps in learning a language though: 1) Learning a standard form, 2) Actually learning how to speak the language.

The best English is usually spoken by people who do not have it as a first language. Scandinavians, Dutch, and Welsh all speak it far more clearly than the natives.

Perhaps it's because its been taught rather than picked up.

Again, not really the "best" English, but rather closest to a standardised form. Depending on where you're from, the "standard" version may be close to what is considered formal English in your region.

The best English is usually spoken by people who do not have it as a first language. Scandinavians, Dutch, and Welsh all speak it far more clearly than the natives.

Seriously? I have Welsh in my family but you must be joking though.

I agree with Some Guy it does vary from region to region so really "correct" & "best" is more an opinion than fact for me.

Seriously? I have Welsh in my family but you must be joking though.

I agree with Some Guy it does vary from region to region so really "correct" & "best" is more an opinion than fact for me.

"Correct" and "best" aren't even opinion based, they're concepts that are contrary to modern linguistics.

I was talking about "correct" as in school english. Not dialect. Anyway, thanks.

There's more than one "School English". There's more than one "Standard English".

For example, if you spell 'gaol' as 'jail' where I'm from, you'll be marked with a friendly little 0. If you wrote 'gaol' in the USA however, you'd be equally marked as "wrong".

Again, step one in learning a language is to learn a standard version of it. Step two is actually learning how to speak it.

The sentence OP posted is indeed correct as others have already said. In FM/CM I've never spotted a grammatical error and only once have I spotted a typo, don't remember exactly what it was but it was in FM14 for some news item and it was clearly just a typo.

Re: what Chinook said, that scandinavians speak english far better than englishmen/americans. This is very untrue when actually SPEAKING the language. More true when typing on the internet though. We won't do as many mistakes with your/you're, they're/there/their. But when we speak, you will hear that it is not our native language. Some local dialects/accents I will not pick up on easily. Scottish, Welsh etc I have to make an effort to understand.

On the internet I can join any discussion in english and understand what everyone is saying (9 times out of 10), but irl I would have trouble making my case without stopping mid-sentence many times to come up with the right words, and imo this is true for other scandinavians as well.

As a native English speaker one thing in game and that I've seen various other places that doesn't seem to sit right is the use of "headed"/"heading" as in "xxxx is headed for the award". I've seen it else where too, isn't supposed to be heading in that context?

Archived