Will There Ever Be A 'Create A League' Option?

Oscillate Wildly

Every time a new FM is announced I keep my fingers crossed there'll be a 'Create A League' option, where a player can determine the parameters of a template league (number of teams, number of times they play each other, player restrictions, substitutions allowed, promotion/relegation etc). It's the one thing that would turn an enjoyable game into a perfect one, for me. But it never happens.

Does anyone know why this option is never considered? Is it a simple case of being too difficult to code, or is it because SI think it would be a lot of work for something that isn't widely wanted? Am I the only player who would want such a feature?

My ideal manufactured league would be 10 or 12 teams, no relegation, no player nationality restrictions, each teams plays each other once home and away, high reputation and prize money. This would be great for quick-game short seasons, and I wouldn't have to create a bunch of extra clubs for a lower division to safeguard against one of my 'top' clubs being relegated out and replaced. Will this option ever become a reality?

I think there would be huge demand for this. Just look at how many people use the editor. Some people wouldn't use it, but some people don't use, for example, facegen.

I don't think it'll happen though, as I suspect SI would highlight the element of losing realism. But then again, why include an editor at all if they want every game to maintain realism.

If SI don't make one, I wonder if anyone could code one?

I would imagine it would be a nightmare to code. Imagine trying to code it for all the weird leagues people would try to create. Saying that I would love if it could be added in some way.

I remember reading on the forums that then it would no longer be hard coded, obviously, but then it would have to included in the save game file which would mean longer processing and slower games. How slow depends on how much bigger the file would get.

i'm a big supporter of this, and i can't see why it would be too hard, just don't give all possible options, i think the following would be suffice:

1) Number of Divisions (Min 1, Max 4) + a lower division (mandatory)

2) Number of teams in division (Min 6, Max 24)

3) Number of Games (Min 5, Max 46)

4) Foreign Player Restriction (X Number of non-national, X Number of non-EU, None)

5) Number of cups (Min 0, Max 4) - then state what the requirements are for entering (league, previous winner etc)

6) Prize Money

7) Game Day Player Restrictions (only give a couple of options here, i.e. X players Under 18/21, Maximum X number of Foreingers, none)

8) X number of subs

Personally I think that would be great.

I would like it but its not so simple, for example in England at what step would the newly created league come in? We can just slot a league straight in the leagues system easily.

I can only think that the solution would be to allow to users to create a county and then the league otherwise it would be just too difficuilt surely??

i hope in 09 we can edit/add the rules of competitions because some of them aren't included which are in effect irl for example players that play in the UEFA Cup can play for a team in the Champions League in the same season (Anelka did it for Chelsea last season) and vice versa.

I'd be happy if we could create new leagues, even if we couldn't edit the existing ones. What would be different if they stopped licensing the few leagues they do have? ...other then the game would ship without the few real logos and kits it does. I'd rather it didn't come with any logos and kits... when I load all the great new kits and logos that FMers make, the existing ones look out of place or get in the way.

Its such a shame, because Fifa Manager has this.

The fifa manager editor is far superior it has every feature you could ever want.

I must agree. Although the original FM database is by far superior in detail and accuracy (and by far I mean 1 million times better, at least), the lack of editing options makes FM turn very dull after a while, and limits greatly its potential; it's not hard to check how many different country-based updates are made for FIFA-M.

I can only hope SI can get over the technical difficulties and turn this suggestion into a reality.

I'd be happy if we could create new leagues, even if we couldn't edit the existing ones. What would be different if they stopped licensing the few leagues they do have? ...other then the game would ship without the few real logos and kits it does. I'd rather it didn't come with any logos and kits... when I load all the great new kits and logos that FMers make, the existing ones look out of place or get in the way.

The licences cover team names, player names, staff names, league names and cup names, not just logos.

I am For this, i just hope SI are listening to there customers. If it's the licenses that are the problem, then why not create a new league system,country, players,clubs etc by yourself,would take a while but I would certainly do so if the feature was avalible. If it's the coding thats the problem then headhunt some FIFA Managers coder's ;)

I guess player licensing is seperate from the league they play in? I figured the leagues and clubs without logos showing are unlicensed, yet they have the real players and names. In other games you can edit leagues, and they have real players, clubs, leagues... what am I missing about licensing?

I have been hoping for this for years as well. If licensing is a problem then I think that instead of putting clubs like man u, chelsea barca etc into a new league, it could create new teams and randomly generate a set of players for them teams, you could select the average ca and pa of the players in the league or teams so you can edit the quality of player in the league. Also you could manually set the names and cities of the teams or let the game randomly generate names of clubs and cities and stadiums etc from a list of words, for instance for teams you could use city name plus utd or city, or galaxy or athletic. For the cities they could just put a list of say 50 made up city names. This compromise I think would get around the licensing and give people these new made up leagues that we crave for. I would accept this as a compromise as its the kind of thing I look for when I get bored of the game anyway. What do you guys think?

Well, I'm glad I'm not the only one who seems to be interested in this kind of option.

With regard to something that would alter the game mechanics in some way and make the game go slower, I wasn't personally thinking of being able to edit existing league rules and templates (such as changing the Premier League to 16 teams instead of 20, for example). Nor was I thinking of being able to fiddle with the options in-game. I was thinking of some blank league template included in the Official Editor where you could set your parameters pre-game, save it as a new database, and work from there.

The only potential snag I can see is upsetting the balance of European competitions and qualifiers and the like, so it would need to be done in one of two ways. Either the created league would need to belong to a newly created nation with no entry into contintental tournaments or there'd be the option to 'switch off' a standard nation and its existing league and replace it with your own template. The first option would probably be easier.

I wouldn't say no to being able to edit an existing league's rules rather than creating something from scratch but, yeah, I can see how it would have to be perfectly implemented to avoid crashing the game engine.

With regard to licensing... see, this puzzles me. The Editor function means you can change pretty much everything anyway; I could rename Roma 'Tipsy Turtles FC', fill their playing squad with 40-year-olds, have them playing in electric magenta, put them £200m in debt and swap them into the Peruvian First Division if I wanted to. Would it be that much worse to swap them into my own created league if that's what I wanted? I've always assumed that the game licensing doesn't cover personal changes in the Editor, else a player wouldn't be allowed to change ANYTHING official about a club. (I remember back in the days of Championship Manager the names of clubs were un-editable but that doesn't seem to be the case any more).

A player is already given the option of creating a club and inserting them into an existing league at the expense of a licensed club. Would it not just be easier to leave the existing leagues alone and be able to create your own in the first place?

I was thinking of some blank league template included in the Official Editor where you could set your parameters pre-game, save it as a new database, and work from there.

I do so agree with this one!!!!

With regard to licensing... see, this puzzles me. The Editor function means you can change pretty much everything anyway;

You're right the licenses has nothing to do with SI not making a create league function. If the licenses had made it forbidden for the gameplayer to edit the database, then no editor would have been released.

I must agree. Although the original FM database is by far superior in detail and accuracy (and by far I mean 1 million times better, at least), the lack of editing options makes FM turn very dull after a while, and limits greatly its potential; it's not hard to check how many different country-based updates are made for FIFA-M.

I can only hope SI can get over the technical difficulties and turn this suggestion into a reality.

Seconded.

I spend a full day editing before I even touch any game I play on FM. It would be a hell of a lot easier with (simple) things like the ability to create a generic league (20 teams, bottom/top 3 down/up, no fancy junk!), the ability to export/import teams/players between DB's .

Archived