[FM14] I present to you....Jim Woodward

kris0710

The Date

May 10th 2056

The Story

After a playing career that started at Blackburn Rovers in March 2027 he had loan spells at Northampton and Ipswich before moving to Cambridge for £750k. There he stayed for the remainder of his career, playing a huge part in the club rising from League One to the Premier League. At the time of retiring club legend Woodward was the record appearance holder (512 league games) and record scorer (157 league goals).

Since Then

After retiring from football Woodward stepped away from the sport altogether but in recent years has been studying towards his badges and is now ready to step into management with his shiny new Continental Pro Licence. At 45 years old the former Professional footballer has no idea what to expect as he starts looking for job. He is open to offers from England, France, Germany, Italy, Portugal and Spain.

So here we go....

After retiring myself from Cambridge i holidayed until the following May to see how Cambridge go on with a new boss and it wasn't great. They won the Community Shield, Super Cup and Club World Championship but were dumped out of the FA Cup in the Quarter Final, the League Cup in the Quarter Final and the Champions League 1st Knockout Round. The defence of the Premier League was disastrous too finishing 7th with 61 points. They hadn't managed to get into the top 10 until game 23 and 7th was the highest they had been all season.

So here we are in May, i holiday, applying for all jobs and get three interviews

rQ8GIFs.png

Will be playing in the Championship next season after finishing 18th in the PL.

8ZuSlg9.png

Just finished 7th in Serie A

jsqzMxt.png

14th placed in Ligue 1 but a nice transfer budget on offer.

Unsuccessful with the Palace job, they opted for former Liverpool player Kyle Harris.

h5AYSOt.png

A very interesting offer, good funds to build a squad with.

31ThYzL.png

Less transfer budget but next season will see Europa League action through the league finish. Delayed both offers for a week but now is time to choose.

lTraGdI.png

LOSC Lille - Ligue 1

Summer 2056

olI3a2z.png

France it is. A good transfer budget to build a side around the tactic's i want to play. Some early bad news, PSG have signed Cambridge wonderkid Abraham Garcia for £64m.

tOKawyb.png

lTraGdI.png

LOSC Lille - Ligue 1

Pre Season 2056

Board Expectations

Ligue 1 - Respectable league position

French Cup - 11th Round

Coupe de la Ligue - Not Important

My Expectations

Ligue 1 - Top 10 finish

French Cup - Quarter Final

Coupe de la Ligue - Will use as squad rotation

Transfers Out

L0ARgaT.png

Plenty of sales and i feel the money has been reinvested well. Most sales were half decent players that wouldn't fit my tactic.

Transfers In

7or4DfL.png

A couple of names that should be familiar along with some experience too.

Jose

nQ5rXK7.png

Kenny Dobrowolski

5ciMA4X.png

Charly Gotzi

Mqbl6Iv.png

Olav Rosvoldsve

36FXDfl.png

Liam McParland

vWOhVd6.png

Russell Cassidy

GC5xiOq.png

Rob Vermeulen

CpD38mI.png

Results

ucAezbz.png

Good pre seasons results bar 2 defeats. Decent transfers dealings :thup:

Happy with how things are looking so far. Decent players coming in, some big earners sold on and the average age of the squad has come down just a little.

Good preseason except for the defeat against Montana (in 2056, this is a good team?). And the signings were good also, good luck on the season.

Montana are not a good side, the loss was all my own doing. During pre season all games bar the final two i play one side in the first half then at the break i make as many subs as i can. Against Montana i had only 7 subs, brought them all on then lost three players to injuries. Ending the game with 8 men i was pleased to only lose 3-2!

Good luck at Lille mate! and that's a lot of players sold :eek:

Most of those players were on silly money, had to get rid. It wasn't until grabbed a screenshot of the players out that i realised just how busy i'd been. There are more i want to ship out but i don't have the money for suitable replacements so that will have to wait.

lTraGdI.png

LOSC Lille - Ligue 1

August 2056

eKAASo0.png

Happy with how this season has started. The two defeats were somewhat harsh and to win three was great. We kicked off with defeat to Nice despite taking an early lead. A comical own goal followed then the away side won the match two minutes later with a good passing move. We had much more of the ball and all of the chances in the second half without scoring. With so many new players and a new tactic it will take time for things to gel so i expect more games like this. Win one of the season came at bitter rivals Lens. They had won the opening day 3-0 and came into this favourites but a harsh red card in the first half put us on top. Pressure finally told with a good move resulting in a penalty then sub Gotzl put us two up. The home side scored late on but victory was ours. Another penalty set us on our way at home to Toulouse then captain Jose Garcia doubled the lead ten minutes later. Going to Lyon was never going to be easy but losing to a goal in the 86th minute was harsh. We offered little in the opening 45 minutes and went in a goal down. The longer the second half went on the more pressure we put on Lyon and it eventually told with McParland first goal. That wasn't enough for a point as a header from a free kick sealed the win. League leaders OM came to town next and went away thoroughly beaten. A first half free kick from Vermeulen gave us the lead then Gotzl added a second before experienced Rosvoldsve sealed the huge win.

W6ZeSV2.png

A trip to 2nd placed Bastia is up next.

Could you post the history of the winners of Ligue 1?

HERE is the list of winners.

Things have not changed much in French football, apparently. Started well in the league, you have all the conditions to reach the continental competitions.

Not too much has changed really. France is currently 6th in the Nation Coefficients behind Germany, Holland, Italy, Spain and England. It' still 3 CL spots but only just, Portugal are very close.

I was wondering if you'd raid Cambridge :D

They were about the only two obtainable players. The rest are valued hugely, look at Garcia going for £60m +

lTraGdI.png

LOSC Lille - Ligue 1

September 2056

LiK8uJo.png

Another good month in this French adventure. High flying Bastia were little trouble for my good defensive players and with both goals coming when they were starting to get more possession was extra pleasing. Another three points followed in a match that was effectively won inside ten minutes with two goals. A trip to Stade Rennais saw us perform well defensively but lack a little up front. A quickfire double saw off Auxerre although a goal back with 15 minutes left had me sweating some. We ended the month with on paper a good point but i see it was two points dropped. Two goals up against Nancy Lorraine we looked to be cruising to the points over the side in 3rd place. A goal right on half time reduced the arrears then in the 92nd minute a stunning strike from fully 30 yards flew into the net. If ever there was a goal to save a side from defeat that was it.

rWTeZ2A.png

Nicely placed at the moment, overachieving in my eyes.

Good luck Kris French football has not changed much at all - a boring amount of title wins for PSG and it's time for Lille to sort that out :p

Good luck Kris French football has not changed much at all - a boring amount of title wins for PSG and it's time for Lille to sort that out :p

Cheers. PSG have ran the show for the most part, Lille have had two 4th placed finishes and 7 5th placed finishes. Also had a season in Ligue 2 in 2048/49. The squad i have now isn't capable of challenging at the top in my opinion. But stranger things have happened.

lTraGdI.png

LOSC Lille - Ligue 1

October 2056

FjgrvD0.png

Another decent month that saw maximum points at home and a defeat to 12 man Girondins Bordeaux. October started with a great win against Montpellier that once again saw us lead 2-0 before seeing that reduced in the last twenty minutes. It was the last twenty minutes that went against us in our only away game this month. After being behind at the break we levelled up not long after the break but two penalties in the final 13 minutes saw us defeated for the third time this season. The month ended in front of a bumper crowd for the derby against Valenciennes. Two goals up the game looked over but it was far from that. In the space of three minutes after an hour the away side pulled one back then had two goals ruled out. From that we sat back, inviting pressure only to counter late on and seal the win.

fgSjM3N.png

Monaco are running away with it but we are hanging onto the coattails of the rest.

Coupe de la Ligue

FI8y8gC.png

Came out on top of this all Ligue 1 affair thanks to two late goals. The draw for the next round is not until mid-November.

Award

N01GUy0.png

Do you plan on one day taking over Cambridge again and returning them to the top?

I would like to yes, i see that as a last job before Woodward retires. Although if they come chasing me it will be very hard to turn down. The only other club i would like a shot at is Burnley as that is where Woodward was born.

lTraGdI.png

LOSC Lille - Ligue 1

November 2056

MEj11n9.png

Another good month but we really used up plenty of luck in two of our games. We kicked off away to struggling Evian and ran out easy winners with Vermeulen scoring a brace. Next up was another three points but we had to come from behind with two second half strikes. That followed into the final game of the month with us going behind to a penalty but coming back strong.

a1BvxvZ.png

Still going great but trips to PSG and Monaco await this month.

Coupe de la Ligue Draw

jkHL5Lt.png

Solid month in the league and only four points off the top now :thup:

We are going along nicely although December hasn't been kind to us.

Are PSG and Monaco still rich as ever?

Monaco's mega rich chairman left in 2036 and a new chairman was promoted from within. Since then they have been spending massive during the summer, more than they did before he left.

As for PSG they lost the rich chairman in 2042 to be replaced by a consortium. In 2051 that chairman left to be replaced by someone within. Two years later the new chairman withdrew funding, not that you would know it. Last season they spent £176,000,000 on transfers and this year it is just £157,000,000. In the 2037/38 season they spent a huge £257,000,000!!

lTraGdI.png

LOSC Lille - Ligue 1

December 2056

j3PqwWx.png

A tough month it proved to be despite starting off with an unexpected point at PSG. We were well and truly battered for about 88 minutes of that match. The first minute off each half we were brilliant but needed a goalkeeper and defender mix up for the levelling goal. We put in a much better performance at home to FC Lorient and raced into a 2-0 first half lead. Straight after the break the lead was reduced then strikes in the 83rd and 86th minutes turned the game right around. We really needed to win the next one and that was just about achieved with a goal early in the second half before Monaco gave us a bit of hiding.

zHkg6lr.png

Happy with the first 20 games although some what disappointed to be 5th.

Coupe de la Ligue

PzTJIs4.png

Once again this month we threw away what was looking a good victory. 3-1 and 4-2 up we conceded twice in the final 15 minutes to take the game to extra time. Then with just five minutes left we gave away a cheap free kick that was hammered home.

French Cup Draw

8Nr9Dpm.png

A tough trip coming up after the winter break.

Looking very solid for a European adventure next year since cups won't be much of a problem anymore ;) I find it absolutely ridiculous that teams in Europe's 6th best division are spending obscene money and getting all those great players.

Looking very solid for a European adventure next year since cups won't be much of a problem anymore ;) I find it absolutely ridiculous that teams in Europe's 6th best division are spending obscene money and getting all those great players.

Solid is not a word i would use of late. But fair play, you called the cups right.

PSG are just a monster that the moment, how they escape FFP rules is beyond me.

lTraGdI.png

LOSC Lille - Ligue 1

January 2057

Mid Season Friendlies

BiZidVv.png

Not the best of ways to prepare for the second half of the season. We were never in the game against Koln and for and hour it was the same story with Hoffenheim. We then mounted a comeback from 2-0 down to steal the win.

Ligue 1

vVwld4t.png

Another disappointing month after December. Twice behind against Toulouse we ended up conceding in the 86 minute, two minutes after our new right back was sent off. Led early against Lyon but they drew level soon after. The game was very even from then until the 75 minute when the away side were given a penalty that they converted. Going to Marseille we were low on confidence but we put in a great display. Ahead but went in level at the break we score three more times before the home side scored in the 90th minute.

OLwLlxm.png

Disappointed with where we are, but compared to last season this is a great season.

French Cup

FAHQzqQ.png

Two down inside 15 minutes we got a goal back but once again conceded quickly after. We pulled another back on the hour then yet again we conceded within three minutes.

Transfers

Two older players were released on deadline day who are out of contract in the summer. Javier Fry played once in the league while Wander Luis didn't feature at all.

Three players join in January for a total of £3.8m.

Right back Andrew Howie joins from Cambridge. A good right back who has performed in the PL on a constant basis.

A8wzApA.png

Les Saunders is a former Man Utd defender who has struggled to hold down a first team space. Just 10 PL appearances in 30 months.

Qvl2mLx.png

John Otuagomah West comes in from Fulham for £2.2m. Another who hasn't held down a first team spot i think he has a lot to offer us.

Ee0Z067.png

lTraGdI.png

LOSC Lille - Ligue 1

February 2057

r4i7v7a.png

A little better than the previous 8 weeks but it should have seen us pick up more points. SC Bastia scored a penalty two minutes after we scored from the spot then won the game in the 92nd minute with a close range header. Eased to an away win at Saint Etienne with a goal in each half before a brilliant game for the neutrals against Stade Rennais. 2-0 and 3-1 up we were cruising at the break. Eight minutes into the second half the game was back at 3-3 then two goals in the final eleven minutes did for us. It was a one man show at Auxerre with Dobrowolski scoring all four goals.

OMkwDEo.png

Award

5VdaSTG.png

lTraGdI.png

LOSC Lille - Ligue 1

March 2057

QKjnVi5.png

This is much better as we head into the final six games. Dobrowolski followed up his four goals against Auxerre with a treble against Nancy Lorraine. Three times we led against Montpellier but let ourselves down yet again, the final goal coming from the penalty spot with six minutes left. Despite leading from the spot against Bordeaux we conceded soon after and then the away side scored on 81 and 82 minutes to win the game. More points thrown away. Two wins followed over struggling sides including a 3-1 win over Evian that saw us have 4 goals disallowed.

UNSdJjw.png

The way the French Cup is going only 5th placed will be good enough for a Europa League slot.

lTraGdI.png

LOSC Lille - Ligue 1

April 2057

8VktjpO.png

A month where we nearly needed at least seven points but as per normal of late we threw it away somewhat. Relegated Stade Brestois 29 found themselves 2-0 down at the break but turned it right around with goals on 55, 80 and 87 minutes. We ended up escaping with a point thanks to a header from a long range free kick in stoppage time. Fell behind after 18 minutes to Sochaux-Montbe and looked down and out. We got lucky with the first goal, a poor defensive back pass. Two quickfire goals, both from corners ended up winning us the game before we held our own against leaders PSG.

B65eSsK.png

With three to play we have a shot of 4th or 5th still. Two away games plus Monaco at home stand in our way.

lTraGdI.png

LOSC Lille - Ligue 1

May 2057

FaEEnOe.png

Went into the month expecting defeat to Monaco but losing out to FC Lorient was not part of the plan. It was that defeat that has ultimately cost us a European place for next season. Despite coming from behind to beat Nice in the final day we fell just two points short.

l9EPUyk.png

Award

3rIPJFp.png

Improvements

5QQAPKg.png

lTraGdI.png

LOSC Lille - Ligue 1

End of Season 2056/2057

My Thoughts

Overall a decent first season in France. Took the club from their 14th placed finish last season to 6th is an achievement but it is disappointing and infuriating that we missed out on European competition by just two points. The cups gave us little to cheer about but for the coming season i will look to take them more serious as it could be our best way into Europe.

Around Europe

ntbEpMI.png

Psw7QhG.png

fYGlyyH.png

eMxbmlF.png

F3pkE0z.png

Champions League

HhCMhLH.png

Europa League

GAuWiXj.png

lTraGdI.png

LOSC Lille - Ligue 1

Pre Season 2057

Board Expectations

Ligue 1 - Respectable league position

Coupe de la Ligue - Quarter Final

My Expectations

Ligue 1 - Top 6 finish

Coupe de la Ligue - Quarter Final

Transfers

QhlLcfx.png

A busier summer than i would have liked but some signings that have come in during the last 12 months haven't worked out and then there were older players i needed to ship out. 35 year old Hulk was earning a good wage so seemed ideal chance to get rid when Al-Hilal came calling and the same applies to 34 year old Utorin. Right back Dufau had lost his place when Howie arrived in January and with that not working out both players left for a combined total of £6.8m. Centre back Astorga wanted out in December so i promised to sell at the end of the season and used the money to replace him. Back up keeper Beckett was earning close to £30k a week so i was never interested in renewing his deal while Jose Garcia announced he was retiring in 12 months so i offered him a way out along with a £450k payout. Defender Tumbel was allowed to leave as his lack of pace really showed towards the end of the season so getting £3.8m for him was a great deal. The final player out the door was attacker N'Guessan who couldn't live up to his ratings or wages so an offer of £7.25m was snatched from the hands of Siena.

The players coming in i expect to improve the balance of the squad, bring down the age and improve quality. Kurt Bamba and Jacques Schmitt will be the new defensive pairing come August with former Braga pair Vigario and Ribeiro helping out down the flanks. Darren Noteman joins from Everton as a versatile midfielder who will likely warm the bench most weeks along with Jorge Sola. Finally coming in is another Cambridge reject, Amoroso. Did well in his time there following a move from Man City but has seen chances limited in the last two years.

GB25TXS.pngYG5EelB.png

vO4Tcjv.pngPjr6GOh.png

R7TwPtW.pngwPQ9BRx.png

9092Sop.png

Results

DWI7qmh.png

lTraGdI.png

LOSC Lille - Ligue 1

August 2057

VcktGRU.png

What was a wonderful start to the season soon turned sour. We hammered newly promoted Dijon FCO 6-0 with a brace from summer recruit Amoroso, right back Vigario scored 76 seconds into his debut and the goal rout was completed by 17 year old youth teamer Elie Jarry. Injury to Amoroso that will keep him out for 6 weeks was the only change for the win at OGC Nice with yet again Jarry stepping off the bench to complete the scoring. We led early in the next match but two defensive howlers let Stade Rennais lead and before the break they struck twice more. The second half was much more balanced and the goals dried up. Newly promoted Stade Malherbe Caen twice led in the first half before ending out resistance midway through the second half.

jF2D2AQ.png

lTraGdI.png

LOSC Lille - Ligue 1

September 2057

zTHHNeb.png

A fabulous month that included a win over the monster that is PSG. Started the month with two goals in each half against Montpellier, two more defenders getting in on the act. We travelled to 5th placed Toulouse expecting a tight encounter and it was far from that. Two up inside 6 minutes then a brace from Rosvoldsve early in the second half secured the win. More goals were added from headed own goals before the home side scored a late consolation. Bastia gave us a good run but the quality of Vermeulen proved to be the difference. SWe used up a huge chunk of luck in the home game to PSG. Only one side in the first half and we were lucky to only concede one goal through Garcia. Left back Vigario drew us level with a good strike across the keeper before a stoppage time winner from Amoroso. The luck came from the through ball to Vermeulen. Looking at the replays he appears to be a good yard or so offside but the flag never came. He ran and squared to the attacker who had an empty net to score into. September comes to an end with another high scoring game, 5-0 over Angers SCO. Amoroso on target twice more along with both full backs.

My1c6Bo.png

Award

iTJKYVq.png

Coupe de la Ligue Draw

vf6VYkm.png

ALLEZ LES DOGUES!

Good luck with the *cough* best team in France Kris. Is the Pierre Mauroy still at 50k capacity or did that spell in the 2040s(!) increase it?

Not the best, maybe just the 3rd best! Or thats the aim anyhow. :D

The Pierre Mauroy has a capacity of 50,186 still, we averaged 39,791 last season which isn't bad going. Only PSG top that currently.

Just caught up with this, not a bad start to his new life for Sir Woodward!

Not a bad start at all. But Mr Woodward is packing his bags and has his passport at the ready.

Cambridge didn't do too badly.

Not at all. Not having Europe seemed to help last year.

Fantastic September mate, KUTGW :thup:

The hard work is about to start again.

lTraGdI.png

LOSC Lille - Ligue 1

October 2057

k492caO.png

Almost threw away the points against Marseille after leading 2-0 we let them back in at 2-2 before striking a late winner. Another win followed with two goals in the closing stages at Sochaux before Monaco came and totally destroyed us. We were never in the game and were lucky to concede just four.

Ey6XoDj.png

Coupe de la Ligue

Followed up the hammering against Monaco with yet another terrible showing.

Pg1DPOt.png

A surprise interview from Cardiff. They are bottom of the Premier League with just 2 points from 11 games. Not at all interested in the job but attended as i am out of contract in the summer, maybe this will bring on a new deal.

bggqYd2.png

Worked perfectly, new deal, small pay rise.

Q01csKP.png

Handy little extra too.

lTraGdI.png

LOSC Lille - Ligue 1

November 2057

rYRlvHF.png

Continued our run of defeats as we were beaten twice more before form returned somewhat. Saint-Etienne scored the only goal of the game with four minutes left then FC Lorient came out of the blocks fast we found ourselves 2-0 after just seven minutes. In both games we offered very little up front which is concerning. The goals and form returned with a great late win at Lyon then hammering rivals Valenciennes.

yn6QkFc.png

Archived