Cook Islands - Seven teams, twelve games, zero experience, infinite stress

ShanghaiNugget

Cook Islands

A second attempt at cooking up success.

I love playing the Cook Islands Round Cup, the only senior league on the island of 24,000 people. A slither of amateur hell in a tropical paradise. It's minimal, it's over in a flash, and you're either having a dream or a nightmare. The season only lasts 12 games so every point and goal matters, every tactical decision has to be pretty much spot on. Though, that is not my strong point...

I've tried this before and lasted a few seasons before having a hissy fit, but I've decided not to let this save get to my head and have it purely for fun. However, there is an extra incentive now that teams from Cook Islands will qualify for the preliminary round of the O-League which hadn't happened in my last save. There is also a knockout cup competiton in which can be won in 2 or 3 games, and in addition to this, I've added an U23 and U19 league.

I will be taking charge of Titikaveka, the only team with a local reputation. My experience is set to Sunday league. Profile.

Here is the team report for my Titikaveka squad.

TeamReport2013_zps87d796d1.png

I plan to update this every couple days or so, half a season at a time.

SEASON 2013, GAMES 1-6

TRANSFERS

IN

A couple of strikers brought in, Paul Luiz van Eijk on a free who has notched a tally of 3 goals from 5 appearances, plus Eddie Tongata who has become the best player in the U19 league with 4 goals in 3 games, plus a goal in the U23 division, definitely one for the future.

OUT

A lot of surplus players were released, mostly overrated goalkeepers who were outshone by 19 year old keeper Brian Green. Andrew Hosking received a better offer from semi-professional outfit Nikao, and Avatiu came in and snatched Ben Marsters and Omai Tangapiri, the latter I really didn't want to give up.

RESULTS

Fixtures2013_1_zps1991a88b.png

TABLE

League2013_1_zpsbc6d3be4.png

REPORTS

23.08 Nikao 1-1 Titikaveka (League)

Upon squad selection, I noticed that I only have one left back at the club, Bruce Napa. Ten minutes in to the game, I am forced to substitute him due to injury. His substitute, David Ngametua makes a great impact when he scores a swiftly whipped in free-kick by Ben Marsters, but it was disallowed for offside. We took the lead in the 68th minute when new sign Paul van Luiz Eijk played a lovely ball through for Porter Pokura who slotted home nicely, but it was only to last four minutes as Tyson Tuakeu levelled the score shortly after. A good result against one of the two semi-professional teams on the island, in their back yard too.

MotM: Romano Moetaua (Nikao)

Att: 147

27.08 Titikaveka 0-2 Puaikura (League)

Puaikura take the lead early when Don Tereapii pokes in a goalmouth scramble. Our right winger Teariki Piri injures himself just before half-time and needs to be replaced. Puaikura sealed the win in the second half when Tangi Taringa capitalises on poor defending, leaving our goalie Brian Green stranded.

MotM: Tangi Taringa (Puaikura)

Att: 199

30.08 Takuvaine 5-1 Titikaveka (League)

There's plenty to say about this game, but I just don't want to say it. Our defence split more than a crushed bunch of bananas, they were forever putting in long balls over our players and our young keeper could not deal with it. We got a consolation near the end but we were 5-0 down long before then. Back to the drawing board!

MotM: Benjamin Taylor (Takuvaine)

Att: 132

13.09 Titikaveka 2-1 Matavera (League)

My first choice right winger was decided to leave Titikaveka for Avatiu on the morning of the game, leaving me considerably weaker in that area of the field. Matavera took full advantage of this and supplied numerous attempts for Brett Gibson who successfully converted in the 33rd minute. That lead barely lasted 2 minutes when Porter Pokura brought it back to square one with a solid solo effort, putting it nicely in to the bottom right. Our centre mid, Peter Teina, was injured during the second half; he's been the target for a number of clubs in the past few weeks. Paul Luiz van Eijk puts us in front when goalkeeper Brian Green plays some route one football, putting the striker though. Green pulls off some great saves in the dying minutes and seals Titikaveka's first win of the season.

MotM: Paul Luiz van Eijk (Titikaveka)

Att: 108

17.09 Titikaveka 5-2 Tupapa (League)

It only took a minute for Tupapa to go in front, Andrew Gukisuva scores on a rebound off his own shot. Paul Luiz van Eijk put us level with a tap in from a great Dennis Tararo cross. We took the lead on the brink of a half time when a Tokoa Nikoro interception caught the Tupapa keeper Tekeu off guard, giving the striker an open goal to shoot in to. Van Eijk scores a second, drilling it in to the top corner from the edge of the box. Centre half Robert Tauu makes it 4 for Titikaveka, directing in a Tangapiri corner. Tararo makes it 5-1 with a beautiful free kick that clips the bar on the way in, pretty good for a debut. Tupapa pull one back through Tuakana Marukore. Our keeper Brian Green is injured just before full time but luckily it's not .

Att: 121

20.09 Avatiu 4-0 Titikaveka (League)

Coming in to the game with a high from last weeks game, this was an almighty blow to our confidence. Avatiu not only took control of the game, but they killed it, stuffed it, had it as centre piece at Christmas dinner. And each goal was as good as the last, we were outclassed in every aspect.

MotM: Pare Tangata (Avatiu)

Att: 125

YOUTH

The U23's are currently sitting in 5th, but the team is mostly made up of U19 players and young first team players who are not match fit; Porter Pokura has made a couple of appearances and getting on the score sheet.

Will be following this. I had a fun a few years back with the Solomon Islands, glad to see they've fixed the O-League if Cook Islands' team can now qualify.

Best of luck.

I was going to have an Oceania save but there's not enough information to do nation rules for all nations. However, I have done "lite" rules for each nation as the same teams were participating in the O-League every year, I wanted some variation.

Not much between you is there?

There really isn't. 3 points between the whole league, it's far from decided.

Good luck mate, I do love an obscure nation being used. Will you be looking to take over the National Team long term?

I may take over the national team at some point. I spent 8 seasons managing Cook Islands before and only managed to win 1 game in that time so there's definitely a challenge there.

SEASON 2013, GAMES 7-12 + CUP

TRANSFERS

RESULTS

REPORTS

04.10 Titikaveka 2-1 Nikao (League)

The second half of the season got off to a great start, beating semi-pro Nikao at home. Morris Marsters scored a pearler, lobbing the keeper from 25 yards, everyone was helpless as they watched it float in to the far left corners. In to the second half, Michael Mouauri takes his chance with a half volley, Green gets hand to it but it's not enough to stop Nikao equalising. It took minutes from coming on for substitute Dennis Tararo to score the winner, his sweet side-footed effort rolls in to the bottom right from the edge of the box.

MotM: Morris Marsters (Titikaveka)

Att: 139

08.10 Titikaveka 6-2 Takuvaine (League)

Morris Marsters does it again, putting Titikaveka in front with a rocket in to the top left. Debutant Mike Tua got himself on the scoresheet by getting in to space as and Porter Pokura rewarded him with a sublime through ball. Left back Bruce Napa made it 3-0 with a penalty before half time. Hank Spijkerman, another debutant for us, squares it for Pokura to score a much deserved goal. Super sub from last week, Dennis Tararo, makes it 5 when Pokura makes his second assist of the game. Barnabas Enjoy get slips past the home defence and pulls one back for Takuvaine, and moments later Ngatamaine Raea-Rongo scores their second. Marsters gets his second of the game by blasting it in from the edge of the box to conclude the action of the game.

Att: 163

18.10 Puaikura 1-3 Titikaveka (League)

Hank Spijkerman gets his first goal for the club, a week after scoring his first goal for his country, heading in a Dennis Tararo cross from close range. An own goal from Adam Tetava doubles Titikaveka's lead before half time. Another fantastic assist from Tararo gives Porter Pokura the perfect chance to score, and he takes the opportunity with ease. Benjamin Hallin grabs one back for Puaikura but it's all a little too late.

MotM: Dennis Tararo (Titikaveka)

Att: 338

25.10 Matavera 1-0 Titikaveka (League)

Matavera take a shock lead when Don Hallin sneaks in behind the Titikaveka defence unmarked to tap in a long ball. The home defence put on a good display to deny Porter Pokura any goal scoring chances, despite his impressive runs. They hold on to full time to take all 3 points, bringing an end to our impressive form of late, also losing pole position in the process.

MotM: Brett Gibson (Matavera)

Att: 104

01.11 Titikaveka 2-1 Avatiu (League)

A huge mistake from keeper Brian Green gave Ioane Victor an open goal to head in to, but Porter Pokura brought the teams level with a close range tap in before the break. James Kervin failed to convert a penalty for us but Morris Marsters was able to compensate, heading home a free kick.

Att: 162

08.11 Tupapa - Titikaveka (League)

This was our last game of the season, but everyone else still has a game to play. It came as great relief as Hank Spijkerman put us ahead early on, but the happiness was short lived when Junior Puroku put Tupapa level 10 minutes later with a easy tap in; Green stranded. We hit the woodwork twice, but hearts were broken in the second half as Aturangi Kaukura charged down on goal only to blast it in the top corner of our goal. Whatever remained of that heart were then brushed, bagged, burnt and buried when Kaukura scored his second of the game. Teakiri Piri tried to keep the hopes alive by scoring his first goal of the season for us, but it was all in vain and heads bowed down as the final whistle blew. This meant the title would not be ours this season.

MotM: Aturangi Kaukura (Tupapa)

Att: 175

30.11 Takuvaine 1-2e Titikaveka (Cup Quarter-Final)

Mark Sarginson replaces injured Brian Green in goal for this game - Green was one of only five players to appear in all league games this season. However, it was his poor positioning that lead to the first goal of the game as Takuvaine slotted themselves in front with ease, or at least they would have been in front had it not been for the linesman's flag. In the 87th minute, elation erupted from the Titikaveka bench when James Kervin volleyed home a Spijkerman cross, but that soon descended in to embarrassment when substitute Banaba Paniani headed in to his our goal, his own goal, in the 89th minute to take the game in to extra time. Seven minutes in and our almost-hero Kervin puts Paul Luiz van Eijk through on goal and he duly delivers a worthy golden goal winner, outside-of-the-boot shot in to the far corner. Semi-finals ahoy!

MotM: James Kervin (Titikaveka)

Att: 124

07.12 Titikaveka 2-1 Matavera (Cup Semi-Final)

A quiet first half, but just before the break, Spijkerman and his twinkle toes glide past a defender and smash in a solid effort to go ahead. And it didn't take him long afterwards to score his second from a swift Mike Tua cross. The game isn't over though as Teokotai scores on the rebound of a saved shot to make it 2-1. No further threat was made by Matavera and it's Titikaveka who go through to the final!

MotM: Hank Spijkerman (Titikaveka)

Att: 125

14.12 Titikaveka 0-2 Tupapa (Cup Final)

Expected nerves in a game I didn't expect to get to. David Ngametua, our right back, received 2 yellows in the first half to bright his Titikaveka career to an end (he doesn't know this yet). It goes downhill from there when Hank Spijkerman gives away a penalty where Vaivase Tuakeu expectedly converted, and it was game, set and match when Aturangi Kaukura made it 2 in the second half. It was always a big task to win this game against the best team on the island, but it's still a kick in the gut to go out when a player acts like a prat and gets sent off - you, boy, you're gone.

MotM: Tuaine Pokura (Tupapa)

Att: 592

TABLE

League2013_2_zps22fccaf6.png

CUP

Cup2013_zps6b365021.png

YOUTH

The U23's finished as runner-ups in their division, losing by only by a point. There were more positives in that they scored the most goals and had the best goal difference in the league. However, it was the opposite for the U19's who finished bottom of the pile, shipping in most goals and ended with the worst goal difference, only winning one game in the process.

SEASON 2014, GAMES 1-6

TRANSFERS

IN

Last season's top scorer Barnabas Enjoy, who scored 9 goals in 11 games for Takuvaine, joins our strike force alongside veteran Vincent Tua who had been without a club last season. Right wingers Javon Nicholas and Teariki Ngatoko join from Tupapa and Takuvaine respectively to strengthen a very weak right flank. The rest are youngsters, though winger Allan Mokoroa and centre back Christ Arioka are almost ready to break in to the first team, and Aturangi Teina is putting on some impressive performances in the youth teams.

OUT

A few ageing and under performing players were released on frees, most notably right back David Ngametua who was sent off in last seasons cup final. Forward Porter Pokura left for Nikao and is now earning a wage, and the same goes for midfielder Mike Tua who left for Tupapa.

RESULTS

REPORTS

22.08 Titikaveka 2-1 Puaikura (League)

A home fixture to kick off a new season filled with hope and greater expectations, but we start on the back foot and 'keeper Brian Green keeps us in the game at half-time with some superb saves. Quick of the blocks for the second half, Paul Luiz van Eijk slips in a perfect through ball for Hank Spijkerman who converts his chance like the unpaid professional he is. Terry Brown brings it level with a nice shot in to the far corner, but Spijkerman goes one better with an inch perfect rocket from 25 yards.

MotM: Hank Spijkerman (Titikaveka)

Att: 216

26.08 Tupapa 0-0 Titikaveka (League)

Revenge is on the cards for last seasons cup final defeat, but the expected battle was more of a borefest in the first half, ending goalless. 72 minutes pass and the referee gives a rather controversial penalty to Tupapa. Ioana Victor steps up for last years double winners but Green reads him well and saves the shot. Revenge was not achieved, but not losing to the strongest team on the island is good enough.

MotM: Victor Teao (Titikaveka)

Att: 153

29.08 Titikaveka 1-1 Nikao (League)

It was the return of Porter Pokura, the striker who left us for the semi-pro Nikao and he made his presence felt by scoring the opening goal. The turd celebrated manicly in front of the home fans too. Taurau Kairua scored his first goal for Titikaveka with a header from a corner.

MotM: Taurau Kairua (Titikaveka)

Att: 145

16.09 Matavera 0-0 Titikaveka (League)

Literally nothing.

Att: 160

19.10 Titikaveka 2-0 Takuvaine (League)

Takuvaine pressed early but their efforts were soon fended off. Kairua scores his second goal of the season, another header from a corner, and James Kervin scores a cracker from a tight angle following a Poka Pauka throw in.

Att: 155

26.10 Avatiu 0-1 Titikaveka (League)

Green got his fingertips on the end of many Avatiu attempts at the beginning of the game, our defence resembling the strength of pulled pork. Their efforts kept coming all game but late in the game, Van Eijk scores his first goal of the season with a stunning volley from the edge of the box securing all 3 points.

MotM: Brian Green (Titikaveka)

Att: 160

TABLE

League2014_1_zps59864f83.png

• 2 weeks later...

SEASON 2014, GAMES 7-12 + CUP

TRANSFERS

RESULTS

REPORTS

03.10 Puaikura 1-2 Titikaveka (League)

Just before this game, Tupapa steal 2 of my best performing players: striker Hank Spijkerman and centre back Taurau Kairua. It took 40 minutes before any action worth noting took place when a James Kervin cross gave Barnabas Enjoy the opportunity to put Titikaveka ahead, which he duly took advantage of with a solid downwards header. On form Puaikura striker Terry Brown put things level 15 minutes in to the second half, but Paul Luiz van Eijk's fine finishing put the boys in blue back in front in time to win the game.

Att: 263

07.10 Nikao 2-0 Titikaveka (League)

Maara Taringa put Nikao in front when capitalising on a saved effort, and Porter Pokura scores against his former team to make it two. This was our first defeat this season, it's evident we don't play attractive football.

MotM: Maara Taringa (Nikao)

Att: 141

17.10 Titikaveka 2-2 Tupapa (League)

Tupapa stole yet another player from Titikaveka, this time it was midfielder Andrew Dollet to join the other traitors. Tupapa had been pressing all game, and ex-Titikaveka striker Spijkerman had a great chance denied by Mark Sarginson. The attacks kept coming, but if in doubt, hoof it out, then let van Eijk header it on to Barnabas Enjoy to blast it in to Tupapa's goal! Pare Tangata equalised through a corner for Tupapa. A goalmouth scramble gave Campbell Best the perfect chance for Tupapa to take the lead, but veteran substitute Vincent Tua took wiped the smile of Tupapa's fans with a last minute goal.

MotM: Barnabas Enjoy (Titikaveka)

Att: 189

31.10 Takuvaine 1-5 Titikaveka (League)

Van Eijk sneaks through the defence to capture an Enjoy through ball and slips it past the keeper to go 1-0 up. The favour is returned when Van Eijk puts Enjoy through who takes it round the keeper to double the lead. Van Eijk makes it 3 when Javon Nicholas does well to keep the ball in and sets him up for his second of the game - all this happens within 15 minutes. Takuvaine grab a goal just before half time through Geoffrey Strickland. After half time, Nicholas grabs a goal for himself, unmarked at the back post. Van Eijk nabs his 5th of the season, and a hat-trick, being gifted by a defensive error to hit home and pocket 3 points.

Att: 166

07.11 Titikaveka 1-2 Matavera (League)

A very embarrassing start to the game when Matavera keeper Whitefield scores from a free kick from his own half in the 4th minute. Brett Gibson makes it 2-0 to the away team with a finely taken strike from the edge of the area. However, a fantastic Poka Pauka ball finds Van Eijk who puts Titikaveka back in the game, but it's not enough to catch up.

MotM: Brett Gibson (Matavera)

Att: 164

21.11 Titikaveka 1-1 Avatiu (League)

Going in to the last game of the season, us and Avatiu are tied top with 19 points and +6 goal difference. Tupapa are 3rd with 17 points but have played all their games.

It doesn't start well when 7 minutes in, Mani scores for Avatiu with a point blank range header. Banaba Paniani equalises for Titikaveka when he headers in a James Kervin corner. Francis Tamangaro hits the bar from another Kervin corner, and when Van Eijk is on a clean getaway, he can only hit the post. The whistle blows but there are no celebrations; I don't know what this means...

The tables are updated and Titikaveka remain top of the table, level on points with Avatiu, same goal difference, but having scored one more goal than Avatiu means we take the title and will play O-League football next season!

MotM: Banaba Paniani (Titikaveka)

Att: 202

TABLE

League2014_2_zps5e7f2448.png

CUP

29.11 Matavera 0-1 Titikaveka (Cup Quarter-Final)

Paul Luiz van Eijk headers a Piri Matapo cross but it's saved, no fear though as Javon Nicholas taps in the spilled save. The rest of the game was a bit of a lull but victorious nonetheless, plus a bit of revenge for the loss against them a few weeks before. This defeat also lead to Teokotai Sila, the Matavera manager, stepping down from his role, and a change in chairman.

MotM: Javon Nicholas (Titikaveka)

Att: 117

06.12 Nikao 2-1 Titikaveka (Cup Semi-Final)

John Kaukura nets in the first goal 24 seconds in to the second half with some fine route one football from Nikao. That lead only lasted a few minutes when Barnabas Enjoy put through van Eijk to sneak one in. Patrick Moetaua shot from an acute angle found its way underneath Brian Green to put Nikao ahead, and the semi-professional team hold on to beat the amateurs and advance to the final.

MotM: Porter Enua (Nikao)

Att: 85

Cup2014_zps690ed8dc.png

• 5 months later...

SEASON 2015, GAMES 1-6 + O-LEAGUE

TRANSFERS

OUT

It's a shake-up in the defence department this off-season as several big names leave, some with my regards, some with my disdain. Banaba Paniani (Matavera), Bruce Napa (Tupapa) and Mark Sarginson (Nikao) all leave after unimpressive terms with Titikaveka, but Grant Taylor, Morris Marsters (both now Tupapa) and Francis Tamangaro (Avatiu) were players I wanted to keep, but by no means is any player not replaceable in this league.

IN

A few promising youngsters, all Tupapa "rejects", were unattached so I have brought them in under my wing. Goalkeeper Tyson Tekeu also signed from Tupapa to replace Sarginson and my intention for him is to be backup. Defenders James Williams (Takuvaine) and Eddie Tobia (Avatiu) bolster the back line and will keep many a clean sheet this season. Hopefully. Simione Kairua (Nikao) joins to provide depth for the midfield.

RESULTS

REPORTS

21.08 Nikao 1-1 Titikaveka

With 7 first team players on international duty at the Pacific Games, including both goalkeepers, I am left with a weakened squad. Nikao start on the offencive but struggle to produce anything until the 40th minute when Ioane Victor headers in Vase Tereva's cross for Nikao's first goal of the season. Expecting to head in to the changing rooms a goal down, we're rescued by a Tukaroa Ngametua chip over the keeper right before the whistle. The second half is a non-event and the score remains the same.

MotM: Tukaroa Ngametua (Titikaveka)

Att: 106

25.08 Titikaveka 1-2 Takuvaine

An early Ngatamaine Raea-Rongo goal was enough to give Takuvaine the confidence to win this game, that and a penalty from Graham Robertson. A late but classy goal from substitute Ina Henry was only a consolation but showed the spirit of fight that needed to be fought sooner. Perhaps when those on international duty return, we'll pick up our first win.

MotM: Ngatamaine Raea-Rongo (Takuvaine)

Att: 103

Before the Puaikura game, the schedule was announced for the O-League Preliminary Round. We will face Moaula United (Samoa), Black Roses (American Samoa), and Popua (Tonga). All games will be played within a few days in Pago Pago of American Samoa, taking place a few days after our next game. I look forward to continental football! Cook Islands also advanced from the group stage at the Pacific Games, facing the likes of Fiji, Papua New Guinea and Tahiti but then failed to beat Samoa in the Quarter-final, losing 1-0.

18.09 Puaikura 1-0 Titikaveka

Ngametua gets on the end of a Kairua through ball and taps in a sweet simple goal, but it's flagged offside. And just to put salt in to the wound, he picks up a wound and has to come off. We didn't look like coming back in to it, there is certainly a spirit that lacks, and heads only lowered further when Nga Savage scored with a thunderbolt from 25 yards in to the top right to win the game. The return of key players didn't do the trick, and the concern deepens now we head for American Samoa for the O-League.

MotM: Nga Savage (Puaikura)

Att: 255

22.09 Titikaveka 0-3 Moaula United (O-League Preliminary Round)

A pathetic performance in Pago Pago. A goal mouth fumble gave Kevin Michael the opportunity to poke it home in the 18th minute, and ten minutes later Javon Nicholas had to be substituted through injury, to be replaced by an inexperienced youngster from our academy. We went in to the break downbeat and down a goal. In the second half, we kept Moaula at bay but then Otto Cahill made it two from a corner, headering from but a few yards out; if the first goal was a soft spongey goal to let in, this was the icing because they then put the cherry on top with a cheeky free kick that caught Brian Green off-guard. Penetito Michael running off in wild celebrations taking three points with him.

MotM: Penetito Michael (Moaula United)

Att: 116

24.09 Black Roses 0-1 Titikaveka (O-League Preliminary Round)

A much better display this time round in front of a sellout crowd, we wouldn't let the host nation team anywhere near our box, but what a goal to seal the win. Eddie Tongata, a star in the making, dances around the Black Roses defence and slips a ball in for Tapiti Taringa to run on to and pile drive in to the back of the net. Beautiful!

MotM: Tapiti Taringa (Titikaveka)

Att: 1,000

26.09 Popua 6-2 Titikaveka (O-League Preliminary Round)

We were effectively out before the game anyway, 3 points behind leaders Moaula but considerably much better goal difference, though that didn't soften the blow of losing in such a disasterous manner to a team who had lost both of their games beforehand. Popua scored both excellent and stupid goals. One from a free kick, one a fantastic effort from way out, but some gifted to them through our lacklustre defence. Paul Luiz van Eijk and Ngametua scored goals but we were 5-0 down by that point.

MotM: Petiasi Vaihu (Popua)

Att: 406

O-League2015_zps414d1746.png

30.09 Titikaveka 1-0 Matavera

We're not long back before we have to carry on our league campaign. After those few disappointing result abroad, I shake things up a little bit: new formation, and bring in a few fresh but promising faces from the academy. The first half goes by with not much to mention, and the only real thing of note was that our centre back, James Williams, gets a second yellow in the 85th minute. Still, that doesn't stop the good play we've provided today, and with a well sought out pass, Eddie Tongata is through on goal and puts it in to the roof of the net, sealing a win in the dying minutes.

MotM: James Williams (Titikaveka)

Att: 86

03.10 Titikaveka 2-2 Tupapa

This was always going to be a tough one, Tupapa are running away with the league at the moment, and with our hit and miss performances it was always dubious that a victory for us would result. So naturally I was delighted with a draw, especially after going 2-0 down in the first 30 minutes. Eddie Tongata whipped in a delicious cross for Tapiti Taringa to Tapiti-tap in from a few yards out, and not long after Tongata got one for himself, slicing open the Tupapa defence to be one-on-one with the keeper and stealing that point.

MotM: Clive Tanga (Tupapa)

Att: 115

06.10 Takuvaine 0-0 Titikaveka

Absolutely nothing of note.

MotM: Omai Jamieson (Titikaveka)

Att: 112

TABLE

League2015_1_zpsd9d4c0b5.png

SEASON 2015, GAMES 7-12 + CUP

TRANSFERS

RESULTS

REPORTS

16.10 Titikaveka 1-1 Nikao

A draw against a big team isn't the worse thing, but I'd really like to get some wins under our belts so we can finish in the top half at least. Still, it was good to see Eddie Tongata get on the score sheet, the 20-year old getting his 3rd goal in 4 games.

MotM: Eddie Tongata (Titikaveka)

Att: 98

20.10 Avatiu 0-2 Titikaveka

Ina Henry came to me before the game to speak about a lack of games lately and the opportunity to play (so did defender Bill Tangapiri but I told him where to go), and I reluctantly gave him the chance. However, I'm glad I did as James Kervin, the master assister on the left wing, put in the perfect for cross for Henry to convert. He also scored a second when Allan Mokoroa put him through on goal. I now have 2 confident strikers in Henry and Tongata, but I'm only playing 1 up front.

MotM: Ina Henry (Titikaveka)

Att: 145

27.10 Titikaveka 1-2 Puaikura

Just as we get on an unbeaten run, a loss to Puaikura leaves a bitter taste. We never looked getting back in to the game after going 2-0 down, not even a Simione Kairua goal could produce a smile on my face. With three games to go, we sit bottom but there's only 7 points between the whole league, there's still hope left to finish somewhere respectable.

MotM: Simione Kairua (Titikaveka)

Att: 175

30.10 Titikaveka 1-3 Avatiu

A positive start is spoilt by terrible defending costing us two goals. Piri Matapo tapped in a Teariki Ngatoko but Jason Mani scores a brace for Avatiu just before the half-time whistle. Clinical finisher Kete Winchester puts the nail in the coffin with the third. Van Eijk and Kervin both have chances but fail to capitalise.

MotM: Jason Mani (Avatiu)

Att: 65

06.11 Matavera 1-2 Titikaveka

A mixed first half but it's all Titikaveka. Tongata and Kairua teaming up to score our first, and Kervin capitalises on a Matavera mistake to double the lead, but defender Mike Lewis gets sent off in the first half hour. Matavera pull one back through a corner but it matters none.

MotM: James Kervin (Titikaveka)

Att: 164

20.11 Tupapa 2-1 Titikaveka

The final game of the season. We lie 5th with 3rd being our best possible finish. Tupapa are top but only by a point so will be desperate to win, especially if 2nd placed Avatiu beat 4th placed Puaikura (which I hope happens). Nikao and Takuvaine battle it out to decide who takes home the wooden spoon. We take the lead in the first half when an Ina Henry free kick finds Roger Ngametua unmarked in the box, but Tupapa claw it back after the break. Eugene Tatuava scores the winner, and wins the title, when Aaron Shepherd fails to clear the ball properly.

MotM: Eugene Tatuava (Tupapa)

Att: 165

TABLE

League2015_2_zpscef80086.png

CUP

28.11 Avatiu 1-2e Titikaveka (Cup Quarter-Final)

Eight yellow cards before the end of 90 minutes, it's been a fiesty affair. One of those fouls resulted in an Avatiu penalty to put them 1-0 up at 66 minutes. However, another foul gave us a free kick in which Victor Teao put us back in the game 10 minutes from the end. Simione Kairua scored the winning goal in extra time to send us through to the semi's.

MotM: Victor Teao (Titikaveka)

Att: 109

05.12 Tupapa 1-2 Titikaveka (Cup Semi-Final)

Facing the league champions is never an easy task, so it was quite the delight to defeat them and reach the finals! Tupapa took the lead when Tautu Hinderson headers in a corner, but we gather it back with a freak goal from Simon Ngatoko, and a fantastic solo goal from Ina Henry.

MotM: Simon Ngatoko (Titikaveka)

Att: 88

12.12 Takuvaine 0-1e Titikaveka (Cup Final)

This had to be perhaps one of the most boring finals. I was hyped, but nothing happened. So the game goes to extra time, and I didn't really this before, but it's golden goal. James Kervin, my star winger, receives it on the left and whips it in for Andre Tangaroa (an U19 striker because all my good strikers are injured or suspended), he chests it down, turns and powers it in the bottom right! It's a trophy for Titikaveka this season, despite a poor league campaign!

MotM: Piri Matapo (Titikaveka)

Att: 648

Cup2015_zps00e7d675.png

Excellent stuff. Cook Islands is an excellent choice. I remember playing as them in FIFA 98 and winning the world cup. Would you be willing to give other people your custom database? Just I wouldn't mind giving it a go myself.

Excellent stuff. Cook Islands is an excellent choice. I remember playing as them in FIFA 98 and winning the world cup. Would you be willing to give other people your custom database? Just I wouldn't mind giving it a go myself.

Absolutely, you can download the database here. I was about 10 when FIFA 98 came out, but I remember being able to play with just about any nation on Earth, it was tremendous! Which is exactly why I love FM because you can somewhat recreate that nostalgia.

TITIKAVEKA - SEASON 2016

I've had a good clear out of my squad to leave myself with a 22-mean first team, but a plethora of players in the youth teams as backup (32 in the U23's, 46 in the U19's). I had my 4 forwards sorted for the season, but then Ina Henry, Paul Luiz van Eijk and Tukaroa Ngametua all left, so I had to bring in last season's top scorer Kete Winchester, along with his fellow ex-Avatiu strike partner Matapo Marsters, and a player I'd kept my eye on for the past couple of seasons, Don Hallin from Matavera.

GAMES 1-6

We faced the island's strongest in Tupapa first and we didn't embarrass ourselves, both Winchester and Hallin getting their first goals for the club in a surprising 3-2 win. We were a man down early in the second half against Matavera but a sole Eddie Tongata goal saved us and secured a win. With 3 games in 7 days, I had to change the squad around to make sure fatigue wouldn't cost us a game against Takuvaine. Eddie Tongata couldn't catch a break, hitting the woodwork numerous times, and despite their constant threat, teenager Damien Sila was a rock in our back four and kept us in the game, which allowed right back Piri Matapo to claim the winning goal with a looping header. So far, we have a 100% win rate!

A poor fourth match against Puaikura but still coming up trumps with a third consecutive 1-0 win, but it all had to end at some point. Though still unbeaten, we succumbed to a 2-2 draw against Nikao. The form has been good, and as our bye's are in the 7th and final round, these positive results are needed to make sure we have a good lead whilst the other's play their games. But I needn't worry, we went in to the Avatiu game looking strong and came out with a 2-0 win, Tongata grabbing his 4th in 5 games.

FIXTURES -- TABLE

GAMES 7-12

The return of Javon Nicholas was almost ideal for him when he scored a stunner, but the assistant referee ruled it out for offside. The game ended goalless, thanks to a brilliant performance from keeper Brian Green, though saying that, I've had to swap him for Tyson Tekeu for the next game after he complained about a lack of first team action. The change didn't work in our favour however as Matavera handed us our first defeat of the season, losing 1-0 away; Brian Green back in goal, and a telling off for Don Hallin who hasn't scored since the first game of the season.

Facing an overachieving Takuvaine, I was desperate to get off to an early lead, but that didn't go to plan as we went behind very early on, but goals from Mike Lewis and Matapo Marsters put us back in the game and everything looks rosy until Niko Vogel scores an own goal in the last seconds and it ends 2-2. Kete Winchester rescued the team in the final minutes in the Nikao game to win it for us. The Puaikura game started off with a Kervin goal but we conceded a penalty to allow the bottom placed team to level the score. Of all people, star keeper Green then scores an own goal to hand them the game, and if it wasn't for Puaikura's terrible aim, we'd have lost by much more.

Going in to the final game against Avatiu. We're top of the league by 3 points but everyone else will have a game in hand on the final day, and with Takuvaine (only 1 game left too) 3 points behind and Nikao (2 games to play) 5 points behind, this game is an absolute must win. How Eddie Tongata and Kete Winchester haven't won caps for the Cook Islands yet, I do not know, because they've been stars and it was their two goals that grab us a 2-1 win and the Round Cup title!

FIXTURES -- TABLE

CUP

We draw Takuvaine in the Quarter-finals but we may as well have been playing a school side as we brushed them aside with attacking prowess, winning 4-1. A fantastic brace from midfield rock Simione Kairua. Speaking of school, however, we were taught a lesson in the Semi's against Matavera as they went in to the break 2-0 up, but lessons were learnt and we got 2 back of our own to send the game in to extra time, with Don Hallin scoring one of those goals against his former club. It goes to penalties and after 20 efforts on goal, we win 10-9.

And as we go in to the final to face Tupapa, I'm both excited and nervous at the prospect of defending our Cup title and completing a double against the strongest team on the island. And I was right to be nervous and somewhat worried as we lost 2-1, I think I got ahead of myself to believe we were about to take over Tupapa as the strongest on the island but it seems we've still got some work to do. Still, there is some consolation as Titikaveka U19 beat Tupapa U19 5-2 on the last day of the season to grab the title from their hands.

TREE

Join us next season as Titikaveka try to fight for league honours again and have another shot at the O-League!

Absolutely, you can download the database here. I was about 10 when FIFA 98 came out, but I remember being able to play with just about any nation on Earth, it was tremendous! Which is exactly why I love FM because you can somewhat recreate that nostalgia.

Thanks for that. I very rarely do anything with non-official databases but I'm willing to try this for sure. Sounds like fun!

Thanks again for providing the link!

• 5 weeks later...

TITIKAVEKA - SEASON 2017

Table2017_zpse2bb54a6.png

The exact polar opposite of last season, going from champions with only 2 losses to sitting at the bottom with only 2 wins, it's been a frustrating and migraine-inducing season. There are also no standout individual performances of note either, only that John Paul Tua Hinderson, a 17-year old striker, scored 3 goals in his first senior season after scoring 10 in 10 in last season's U19 season. He became our top scorer.

The season started amazingly, we visited Tupapa on the first day and the scoreline yo-yo'd between the 2 teams. 1-0, 1-1, 1-2, 1-3, 2-3, 3-3, then Hinderson scores on his senior debut to seal the win for us. It went sour quick as we drew, then lost, then drew, then drew again, then lost, and with an O-League campaign interferring, it was 2 months before we won another game. The poor run wasn't helped when Tupapa stole our top striker Don Hallin 3 games in to the season.

The Prelim round of the O-League happened in late September, we welcomed 2 teams we met before in Moaula United from Samoa and Popua from Tonga, and a new team in Lion Heart from American Samoa. Hosting, I felt a need to win, or at least lose with dignity. The only fight we showed was in a 2-3 loss to Moaula United, and though we drew 0-0 with Lion Heart, it was purely down to 2 teams not really bothered. Popua downed us 0-2 and they advanced at our expense.

The games rolled by and the conceded goals too, and we arrived at the end of the season miserable, uninspired, and, for me at least, angry. Failing to beat Nikao on the last day, we surrendered to the wooden spoon.

We were drawn against champions Matavera in the Cup, but any hope of an upset was diminished, losing 3-1 to the overachievers.

Looking at next season, I wonder if I will remain at Titikaveka. Trens Moutiaki, the man in charge of Nikao for the past few seasons, resigned and leaves the post open at one of the two semi-professional clubs on the island. I will have to weigh my options and decide if I have the ability, and will, to lift Titikaveka from this slump. If I do, there will certainly be an overhaul in players and tactics.

FIXTURES - CUP

• 2 weeks later...

TITIKAVEKA - SEASON 2018

Table2018_zpsf6fe7013.png

A remarkable turnaround and a respectable position, but a draw against the eventual champions cost us the title for ourselves. A change in formation (4-3-3) and selection process created an exciting season for Titikaveka followers. A chose a first team of 11, and any replacements and substitutions were chosen from the best performing youth players. A starting 11 was young enough as it was with plenty of teenagers, but with the chairman investing in the youth setup at the club, I want to use it to its full advantage.

The first 4 games breezed by with barely a glimpse of resistance from the opposition. 3-1 against Avatiu, 2-0 against Nikao, 5-1 against Matavera and 4-0 against Takuvaine. That's 14 goals scored and only 2 conceded! A disappointing loss to Puaikura and a goalless draw away to Tupapa dampened spirits mid-season.

The second half of the season started just as well as the first, winning the next 3 and striker John Paul Tua Hinderson scoring 5 in those games. With Puaikura matching our form, every game was becoming more and more tense and crucial to win. If each victory is a step towards glory, we fell down the stairwell against Takuvaine losing 3-2, but a draw to Puaikura saw us lose grasp off the trophy despite a last day win against Tupapa.

We drew Nikao in the cup but any hopes of grabbing the last trophy on offer was dashed as we were kept at bay, losing 1-0.

FIXTURES - CUP

A poor performance from Tupapa, the island's best, or at least richest, team saw them finish 5th, and a good 17 points behind champions Puaikura. The board decided to sack manager Tukatara Tangi. A few days later I was offered the job, but despite having the opportunity to manage a strong team, I'm looking forward to seeing the young players come through at Titikaveka once the improvements are completed with the youth set up.

• 2 weeks later...

TITIKAVEKA - SEASON 2019

Table2019_zps053111d9.png

A glorious season, crowned kings of the island with little resistance! This is my 3rd title won with Titikaveka, and the club's 17th.

With 12 goals scored in the first 3 games, it was hard not to think the title was in the bag already. Using the same format as last season, chosing a core 11 alongside the talented youth as substitutes, everything clicked and ran smoothly, and an improvement even on last season's great performance, though it helped not having another team on form, everyone else was not up to scratch.

With the first 10 games won, it was disappointing to lose the last 2, but having the title in the bag after 10 games I gave the youth a chance. We only lost by a goal in each game. However, the morale dipped and we went in to the Cup on a low, and despite winning 1-0 against Avatiu, I was taught a lesson by Tupapa in the semi's.

Still, with some fantastic performances from John Paul Tua Hinderson (9 goals in 11 appearances), Makea Tua (8 assists, 3 PoM's), and goalkeeper Murare Allen (8 conceded in 11, 5 clean sheets), plus a number of youth players showing great potential, I hope to keep as much of the squad as possible as we head in to the Oceania Champions League next season.

FIXTURES - CUP

• 4 weeks later...

TITIKAVEKA - SEASON 2020

ROUND CUP

Topping the table again for the second year in a row, we're establishing ourselves as the top team on the island, far above the wage-payers of Tupapa and Nikao who have not won a title in years, so why we're not the top ranked club in the country is beyond me. Nevertheless, success is ours and we know we're great.

Winger Romano Tangata seals us the first game against Nikao (4-1), and Tupapa fall to John Paul Tua Hinderson (3-0), our star striker for the third season now and only 20-years old. A routine win against Avatiu (2-0), thanks to some substitutes, is followed by a loss to Puaikura (0-1). We were a shambles and looked fools against the eventual wooden spoon winners. Hinderson grabbed another 3 points for us against Takuvaine (1-0) before we headed in to the start of our O-League campaign in Samoa. More on that later.

We come back to suffer a draw to Matavera (1-1) and a loss to Nikao (0-2), but an entertaining game against Avatiu put us right back on track. When all looked god damn awful with Avatiu going 0-2 up in the opening 5 minutes, the trophy was slipping away from my sweaty fingers. The second half begins and it's nice to wait until at least 10 minutes in to concede, but we soon find our feet, granted 3 goals down. Defender Taurau Robertson surprisingly scores, and then the centre-mid Joshua Ngarua scores - woohoo, 2-3 with 30 mins still left! And then substitute Anonga Vulcher gets a brace and we're suddenly winning, and then Robertson scores again! Sure, Avatiu score again but we win 5-4 and a twisty turny tremendous tussle.

That win puts us on a victorious home stretch, rounding up the season with wins against Tupapa (1-0), Puaikura (2-1), Takuvaine (4-1), and Matavera (3-1). The only thing of note being youngster Gabriel Tekeu scoring his first hat-trick against Takuvaine.

League2020_zps79d662d3.png

FIXTURES

KNOCKOUT CUP

Titikaveka win the knockout cup for the first time in 5 years, and the first team to complete the double since I started this game! Avatiu 2-1 in the Quarter Final, left winger Makea Tua scoring both and stealing the show from Avatiu's wonder strike from Ioane Victor. Tupapa 3-1, Hinderson and Vulcher sharing the merits. We absolutely destroyed Puaikura in the final. Tangata, Ngarua, and hot prospect Andre Tangaroa stealing a brace in the final moments. 4-0!

Cup2020_zpsc272d713.png

O-LEAGUE

My personal goal was to take the team past the Prelim stage and in to pastures new. It was the same teams as last time: Moaula United from Samoa, Popua from Tonga, and Lion Heart from American Samoa. Moaula kept us to an uneventful goalless draw, but Popua, a team who has beaten us well and truly on both meetings previously, fell to a stunning display from a spirited Titikaveka 4-0. 4 points but Moaula won as well, we had to beat Lion Heart. It was close but Gabriel Tekeu got us the win (1-0) and we went through to the group stages for the first time, and only by a single goal in the end.

O-LeaguePrelim_zps0da5bfe5.png

This was it, the big time. The 12 best teams of this sparse continent congregate here to battle it out. New Zealand, New Caledonia, Fiji, Solomon Islands, Tahiti, Vanuatu, Papua New Guinea, they're all here! We're not the first Cook Islands team to make it this far, Avatiu gave it a good go in 2014 drawing 2 and winning 1, and just last season Puaikura made it too, drawing 1 and losing 2.

We were chucked in with Nadi from Fiji, AS Magenta from New Caledonia, and Canterbury United from New Zealand, the only team who can challenge the mighty Auckland City in their league. This was just an experience for me, I expected nothing, and Nadi gave me exactly that. Hinderson infiltrated enemy (goal)lines, but we were duly pushed aside and left with a 4-1 loss to our name. I feared the worst against Canterbury, but bizarrely, we thrashed them 4-0. A fluke, surely? All 4 goals were scored by youth squad members too, whom I started with because I expected an onslaught and rested the better players for the game against Magenta. That game ended 0-0, however, and Nadi topped the group with a complete 9 points.

There's 3 groups so the winners go through alongside the best second-placed team, and with 4 points to our name, it surely wasn't us. Except it was. All second-placed teams ended with 4 points and Titikaveka had the better goal difference, by 1 again. We were through to the O-League semi-finals!

O-LeagueGroup_zps72136b3b.png

We drew AS Tamarii Faa'a from Tahiti who won all of their games. We hosted the first leg in front of a large crowd but could only muster up a 1-1 draw. In Tahiti, on a wet chilly day, we fell 2-0 down before the half hour mark. It felt like the end of the road, that a wall had been hit and we remembered we were Titikaveka from the Cook Islands, an O-League semi-final was beyond us. But before the break, Romano Tangata got one back, and after that we drew level with 30 minutes to go. We could do this, we must! We are Titikaveka from the Cook Islands, and we want to play in the Club World Championship! But a penalty was given to Tamarii, and it was not controversial, it was not soft. The ball hit the net, the Tahitians cheered, the whistle was blown and the boys in blue were out. Tamarii went on to face fellow countrymen in AS Tefana and lost 1-0.

O-LeagueCup_zps55253498.png

It's always tough to go out, but I cannot let heads drop, this was more than deserved from this group of young boys determined to become men. Their character makes them men, not trophies. Besides, we've got 2 this season already.

Resign_zpsdf42ac81.png

With such a successful season and a youth system really coming up strong now with a great showing in the O-League, I felt it was time to leave Titikaveka and put this story to bed. I've won the league, the cup, and done well in the continent, but the book has reached it's final chapter.

Junior Puroku, Titikaveka's fitness coach and favourite of the players, also left. Kennedy Aiturau, the club's chairman, sold the club 3 days after my resignation. It's clear to see what an impact I had on the club, and makes me curious to see what lies ahead for the team with this consortium in charge.

Terry Paniani has taken over my post. He held managerial roles at Nikao, Matavera and Avatiu, only winning the knockout cup once in that time with Matavera in 2017. I took the seat home though, the throne is mine.

Great read mate...huge effort getting past the groups of the Champions League, especially with Canterbury and what a result against them. Shame you couldn't push on in the Champions League in the future but no doubt the repetitive nature of the domestic scene would become a drag. Well done again on a great read.

Archived