Does anybody know why most players can't Tutor? Trying to find Tutor for my Newgen, any help appreciated.

1. A tutor should have significantly better reputation than a tutee has

2. A tutor should be full grown in potential at the moment of tutoring. It does not mean that your tutor should max his potential. For example, if a tutor can achieve only 165/180 (ca/pa) considering his age, ambition, and etc., his ca should be near 165/180 to teach a tutee.

3. I am not sure about this, but I think that a tutor should be better than a tutee in aspect of position rating.

My understanding was these things must be met...

1. Player Reputation (Tutor must be higher in the hidden stat)

2. Squad status (Tutor must be higher (or equal?))

3. Age (Tutor must be older and over 21, Tutee can't be over a certain age depending on their position)

4. Position (Tutor must share an Accomplished/Natural position with Tutee)

There could be something else i'm forgetting too.

The main problem i find when tutoring is the Player Reputation because this is a hidden stat and you only get a vague impression from the Personal page. It's not a problem if you're at the top level with top internationals there to tutor your younger players as their reputation will obviously be much bigger, but at the lower levels it's much trickier.

On FM10 the minimum age of the tutor was 21. On FM11 it is 24.

Nope, minimun age is at most 23. 2 of my 23 year old players have been able to tutor. Also someone said that they could tutor with Fabregas when he still was 23. Altough it is rare, I don't know why someone aged 23 can tutor and the other one can't.

I think there are a few exceptions with highly influential players, eg captains being 23.

Generally the minimum age for a tutor is 24 on FM11. What I mean by this is that all players can tutor when they are 24. A small selection can tutor from an earlier age.

I'm a big fan of tutoring and from all the tutoring I have done have observed some facts with regards to how tutoring works in FM11. To borrow/add on to previous observations, observed tutoring criteria are:

1. Player Reputation (Tutor must be of higher reputation than the Tutee. Without use of a scout program, the reputation description can be used as a rough gauge i.e. Worldwide > Continental)

2. Squad status (Tutor must be higher than the Tutee, and the Tutee cannnot be of higher squad status than Squad Rotation)

3. Age (Tutor must at least 24 years old, Tutee cannot be older than 21 years old (as of date of birth). I'm quite sure this applies to all positions.)

4. Position (Tutor must share an Accomplished/Natural position with Tutee)

Tutoring basically serves two purposes:

1. Transferring of PPMS

2. Modification of hidden stats (Adaptability, Ambition, Loyalty, Pressure, Professonalism, Sportsmanship, Temperament, Controversy) + Determination

It does not matter what PA/CA or stats the tutor has. As long as the earlier 4 tutoring criteria are met, a tutor will be able to tutor the assigned tutee. The ultimate result of tutoring is that the tutee's hidden stats are moulded to match the tutor's. No other visible attributes except determination is affected. This also means that a particular affected attribute in which the tutee is stronger than the tutor can also be affected negatively. How this works is that a few or even all of the affected attributes will be modified upwards or downwards over the course of the tutoring period to come to a value closer to the Tutor's, assuming the tutoring is effective. For those who do not use a Scout program, visible changes in Determination to a value closer to the tutor's own is a good indication of whether the tutoring is working. Once a tutee's affected attributes and PPM match the tutor's exactly, there is no further benefit to being tutored by that particular tutor.

In this regard, it may not be beneficial to have someone like Arsharvin tutor a promising youngster since his determination & professionalism (only viewable with a scout program), stats that are useful for development, are quite low. On the other hand, a seemingly average player like Paul Robinson (the centreback) can actually be an excellent tutor due to his exceptional hidden stats.

Other things to note about tutoring:

1) An injured player cannot tutor until he is fully recovered.

2) An injured player cannot be tutored (need to be confirmed)

3) A tutor cannot tutor another player for a few weeks (est 2 - 3 weeks) after the completion of a successful tutoring stint.

4) A tutor cannot tutor the same player after the completion of a successful tutoring stint. It is possible to tutor the same player however after a short lull period (est 4 - 6 weeks).

5) A tutor who has been rejected by a Tutee will be unable to tutor another player for the duration of a normal tutoring stint (est 6 months).

6) Initial acceptance and mid-way rejection of a tutor appears to be random. For example, a tutee may reject his tutor midway into a tutoring stint, but upon reloading a saved game the tutoring will go on as normal, with seemingly no adverse effects to the tutoring.

That's all I can remember for now. Hope it helps :)

• 2 weeks later...

Just to add to this, it's probably obvious but I think that the tutor and the player being tutored must share a common language as well. I have an ideal tutor at my Italian club who is Belgian and only speaks French so his "Tutoring" option is currently greyed out...

I have two 24 year old strikers in my first team one of them has the tutoring option greyed out the other can tutor youth players.

I can't see any obvious differences between them, they both have first team squad status the same reputation plenty of youth team strikers to tutor. They are both fit at the moment and had not done any tutoring before, they are also both have fully developed attributes.

Going on the criteria mentioned in this thread I can't see why the one striker can't tutor. The one that can't tutor is currently learning a ppm does that have an effect?

It's exactly this, players can't start a new tutoring while learning a PPM.

Ah, never factored this one in as I haven't had many senior players try to pick up PPMs. I noticed however that you can have a tutor start learning a PPM after he has begun his tutoring stint.

Nope, minimun age is at most 23. 2 of my 23 year old players have been able to tutor. Also someone said that they could tutor with Fabregas when he still was 23. Altough it is rare, I don't know why someone aged 23 can tutor and the other one can't.

I had a fantastic newgen centre-back who developed really fast, at 21 he had his PA almost maxed (near 180) and was already able to tutor...

What about the different options in the "player conversation" about tutoring? one of them is to only tutor PPMs? And one is to tutor both hidden stats and PPMs?

There is one that says a player has stalled in his development, is this some kind of super-tutoring? Greater risk of back-firing?

I would be thankful for input on this.

It is my understanding that ...

option 1 = Trying to learn both Mental + PPM skills

option 2 = Trying to learn PPM's

option 3 = Trying to learn Mental skills

option 4 = ???? not a clue

Also, what I try to do most of the time is:

1. Ask your youngster to learn a trick (PPM)

2. Ask your Tutor to learn a trick

3. Ask you Tutor to Tutor the youngster with Option 1 (if he accepted to learn the asked PPM, otherwise Option 2)

After this the tutoring seems to improve aswell as the Youngster straight away learn the same trick that the Tutor was learning too....

Was that player your captain? Captains seem to be able to tutor at any age from my experience.

Yes, he was. I didn't know that captains could tutor at any age, I assumed that it was due to the player already being fully developed.

Just have had a thought, does tutoring effect languages spoken? For example.

If in managing in england would the following occur

A young french prospect who only speaks french being tutored by an englishman. Would the French prospect learn English faster?

A young english prospect who cannot speak spanish, gets tutored by a new older signing who only speaks spanish. Would the new spanish signing learn Enlgish faster due to his pupil ability to speak english? and could the pupil learn some spanish?

Ah, never factored this one in as I haven't had many senior players try to pick up PPMs. I noticed however that you can have a tutor start learning a PPM after he has begun his tutoring stint.

Does it work though? I once took the opportunity to tutor someone I had just set to tutor somebody else (Tutor>Tutee/Tutor>Tutee) and felt very pleased with myself, until I discovered that the two tutees gained nothing thus wasting 18 months of tutorability:(

On FM10 the minimum age of the tutor was 21. On FM11 it is 24.

Nope again.

OK I've checked my old saves (FM10) and found that:

on the ingame date of 15 Oct 2011 I had Jonjo Shelvey, age 19, reputation National, Tutoring Ignacio(newgen) 17yo, rep. Local.

on the ingame date of 24 Nov 2012 I had Jonjo Shelvey, age 20, rep. Continental, Tutoring Adam Pepper 20yo, rep. Regional. Also in this case Shelvey is almost 3 months Younger than Pepper!! (check their birthdates)

Unless this guy is bugged this disproves the oft quoted "Tutor has to be min. 22 years old" theory. This may seem irrelevent (you know the more I look at this word the less like a word it looks) to FM11er's, but as I am still playing FM10 it is highly relevent (now that looks like a word) to me, that's a possible 6 extra tutoring sessions out of one player.

As for FM11 I have seen the age "24" quoted as an up and down cutoff point for tutors and tutees. Beware, unless this is from the official rule book!?! (if only), or graciously provided by one of our SI masters it may be unsound advice.

Basically you want him to have a good personality, besides determination,professionalism,ambition and ability to handle pressure are all good traits to pass on to the trainee.

Players with a Resolute,Spirited personality normally make good tutors for example, it's good to check the personality types to have a good idea of what players are the best tutors:

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/213536-Tutoring-results-test

• 9 months later...

5) A tutor who has been rejected by a Tutee will be unable to tutor another player for the duration of a normal tutoring stint (est 6 months).

I have a player called Lucad Husek Put him tutoring a youngster but the youngster refused. After just a week put him tutoring another youngster and the youngster was delighted

• 3 months later...

Are we sure that a player of higher rep but young can't be tutored by an older but lower rep player. I ask this because I have a young regen left back who has determinatin of 8 but is already very good, and i'm considering signing Paul Robinson to tutor him as he has determination of 20, however his rep will not be as good as the youngster, does this mean it won't be possible.

Are we sure that a player of higher rep but young can't be tutored by an older but lower rep player. I ask this because I have a young regen left back who has determinatin of 8 but is already very good, and i'm considering signing Paul Robinson to tutor him as he has determination of 20, however his rep will not be as good as the youngster, does this mean it won't be possible.

Yes the tutor must have higer rep than the player who you want tutored.

Archived