Cm 97/98

I started playing this the other night, the Rangers team is phenomenal, I remember being a kid and trying to sell the lot of them to bring in Morten Bisgaard, Ibrahim Bakayoko, Maurcio Ganz and Filipo Inzaghi.

Yay! CM97-98 possibly the best version of all, certainly the best CM2 release. The first one with a proper editor I believe (Gazza Euro 96 background, how I hated that image but loved that editor).

I still recall fondly my Dutch save where I led Ajax (with Martin Lauchlan from Partick Thistle), then MVV, then Heerenveen, to multiple Champions Leagues with 10 seasons at each. The 30-season limit was a sad day but at least I felt like I had sort of completed the game rather than just abandoning it for a newer version.

The first CM I got into was 95/96, played the UK version at my mate's house and couldn't believe the detail. Got the European version the next day and really expanded my knowledge of football in other countries! Most of the Belgian teams in that version have merged or died since then!

And then guess what disc I found in a cupboard the other day! Tried playing it but to be honest it was a bit too easy. Was winning most games by 3 or 4 goals very quickly.

• 4 months later...

I have been trying to download and install this game via dosbox and the like for ages but I can't seem to get it working.

Main reason I have been wanting it is because of the players obviously :) It was the first football manager game I had ever played and I loved it! It would also help me add a lot of players back into the FM14 version so I can play with the likes of Cantona, Maradona etc and have the same CA etc as before.

Anybody know how I can get hold of that data or why I can't get it to work?

I have been trying to download and install this game via dosbox and the like for ages but I can't seem to get it working.

Main reason I have been wanting it is because of the players obviously :) It was the first football manager game I had ever played and I loved it! It would also help me add a lot of players back into the FM14 version so I can play with the likes of Cantona, Maradona etc and have the same CA etc as before.

Anybody know how I can get hold of that data or why I can't get it to work?

There's an editor that comes with CM97-98, but if I recall correctly it wasn't very simple to use (at first), and I don't think current and potential ability as we know it now worked the same way in the old games. A lot of the attributes have changed too.

Might be better off just using the players' stats you can see in the game itself and judge their CA/PA based on real life equivalent guesses.

There's an editor that comes with CM97-98, but if I recall correctly it wasn't very simple to use (at first), and I don't think current and potential ability as we know it now worked the same way in the old games. A lot of the attributes have changed too.

Might be better off just using the players' stats you can see in the game itself and judge their CA/PA based on real life equivalent guesses.

Game just won't work for me in general unfortunately.

• 5 years later...

I have a question. Before 2 days i download championship manager 97/98 on my pc with Dos Box and started a career with Inter. But the problem is that in the squad are 5 or 6 foreign players, who are crucial like Ronaldo, Zanetti, West, Zamorano, Recoba. I can pick only 3 of them in the match lineup. I saw the real team of Inter in 97/98 season and there is no limits for foreign players. So the question is how can i remove the limit for foreign players?

Edited by terminator_02

First of all check the league rules and it will tell you what if any foreign player limit there is.  If there is one in the rules, it will be hard coded and you wont be able to remove it without a pre-game editor and I am not sure that there was one for that game .

37 minutes ago, FrazT said:

First of all check the league rules and it will tell you what if any foreign player limit there is.  If there is one in the rules, it will be hard coded and you wont be able to remove it without a pre-game editor and I am not sure that there was one for that game .

thanks🙂

Ha I had CM 00/01 as my forst ever Championship manager which 01/02 quickly followed the following year. Wow these games bring back memories. I had a heart attack (well not literally) as CM00/01 box and game is currently absent from my collection and I cannot find it anywhere. I went into the loft but no joy :( Need to go up agai and find an excuse to get up there to take another look around, I am sure I have put it somewhere safe....

A good few years later to top up the collection a bit I bought CM 99/00 just to see what it was like. Man I miss those simple CM days where there was no fuss over 2D or 3D..

7 hours ago, JR866Gunner said:

Ha I had CM 00/01 as my forst ever Championship manager which 01/02 quickly followed the following year. Wow these games bring back memories. I had a heart attack (well not literally) as CM00/01 box and game is currently absent from my collection and I cannot find it anywhere. I went into the loft but no joy :( Need to go up agai and find an excuse to get up there to take another look around, I am sure I have put it somewhere safe....

A good few years later to top up the collection a bit I bought CM 99/00 just to see what it was like. Man I miss those simple CM days where there was no fuss over 2D or 3D..

I am pleased to report it has been returned to my collection! I aim to try to create an image of this disc and use it again! 

20200329_175016.jpg