Years	    Team	    Apps    (Gls)

2004–2005   Barcelona B	    22	    (6)
2004–	    Barcelona	    154	    (101)

National team

2005  	    Argentina U20   7	    (6)
2008	    Argentina U23   5	    (2)
2005–	    Argentina	    53	    (15)

Updated as of 27/11/2010

Dubbed as the new Maradona, I don't think it's possible to overrate this guy. He is the very definition of world class.

There's been a few minor changes to Lionel this year, including positional changes, and a rise in CA and PA (yes, even higher than last year!).

How do you, or how would you use him to get him the most goals possible?

CA/PA spoiler:

CA: 193, PA: 197

I've only ever been able to sign Messi once on FM, on FM09 I think it was when Barcelona would leave a ridiculously low release clause in his contract. I was never sure then that my tactic or formation were getting the best out of him, even though his stats were pretty impressive.

I'm not sure how I would play him on FM11, he's not rated as natural in the ST position, despite his terrifying goal scoring stats for Barca in real life over the last couple seasons, and I almost never play a formation that includes an AMC. I guess i would have to change that should I ever decide to take the hotseat at Camp Nou, or by some miracle manage to sign little Leo.

Probably play him at AMC in a 4231 formation, maybe in the trequartista role behind a good all round forward. (and my ultimate, dream 4-4-2 would have him and CR7 as the 2....they'd probably fall out after a few games, but they'd be a scary double act while it lasted)

I've only ever been able to sign Messi once on FM, on FM09 I think it was when Barcelona would leave a ridiculously low release clause in his contract. I was never sure then that my tactic or formation were getting the best out of him, even though his stats were pretty impressive.

I'm not sure how I would play him on FM11, he's not rated as natural in the ST position, despite his terrifying goal scoring stats for Barca in real life over the last couple seasons, and I almost never play a formation that includes an AMC. I guess i would have to change that should I ever decide to take the hotseat at Camp Nou, or by some miracle manage to sign little Leo.

Probably play him at AMC in a 4231 formation, maybe in the trequartista role behind a good all round forward. (and my ultimate, dream 4-4-2 would have him and CR7 as the 2....they'd probably fall out after a few games, but they'd be a scary double act while it lasted)

Are you the same dandydon that posts on the Guardian sportblog?

I realise it's because of the CA/PA cap but he looks pretty underrated in some areas to me. Team work, work rate, off the ball and creativity could be higher, maybe bravery too.

He's still ridiculously awesome mind you. Has there ever been a higher fixed PA on an FM game?

Cheers.

I do think his off the ball, composure and finishing could be and attribute higher each, but otherwise he's pretty well rated

By the same token i think his crossing and long shot shots should come down to facilitate those changes.

The PA/CA 200 point system fails Messi IMO. As people have mentioned, some areas need improving - but due to his PA/CA then there is no room. Maybe areas like tackling could be decreased - but for an attacker that would probably not consume much CA anyway.

just use him and you won't be complaining :)

No doubting he's incredible anyway, but if you were to rate him fairly with no limits or caps on CA/PA in all of the attributes on the game out of 20, he'd have quite a few better stats.

• 3 weeks later...

I got him on a free after he wouldn't sign a new contract for Barca.

What role is he best in? I played him as an inside forward from the left and right in pre-season and he was very disappointing, what sliders should be adjusted etc?

Should I favour a 4-3-2-1 with Messi as a poacher next to my target man Babacar or stick to Messi as a winger in my 4-5-1 I currently use?

I got him on a free after he wouldn't sign a new contract for Barca.

What role is he best in? I played him as an inside forward from the left and right in pre-season and he was very disappointing, what sliders should be adjusted etc?

Amr Inside forward

Cross rarely

Switch position with striker slightly more attacking mentality is my guess.

The PA/CA 200 point system fails Messi IMO. As people have mentioned, some areas need improving - but due to his PA/CA then there is no room. Maybe areas like tackling could be decreased - but for an attacker that would probably not consume much CA anyway.

I agree. In theory it's possible for one player to have all attributes better than any player, but in FM if one player has all 20's for attributes, he will need CA of around 270 (done experiments few years ago, have also started one interesting thread, you can search if you want). Today I don't see player who is most dominant in every attribute, but definetly Messi deserve to have some attributes better, but it's imposible to have CA of 220 for example.

This have to change, player with CA of 200 for example has to have all 20's in attributes!!! That means that it should be programmed that player with CA of 190+ appear one in a 100 years for example and few in a 100 years with CA of 180+. Hope you get the point!

Amr Inside forward

Cross rarely

Switch position with striker slightly more attacking mentality is my guess.

K, cheers.

I'll make him cross sometimes though because Babacar needs to have his Aerial Threat taken advantage of.

Also swapping him with my striker won't work though will it because Babacar is completely untrained as AMR

K, cheers.

I'll make him cross sometimes though because Babacar needs to have his Aerial Threat taken advantage of.

Also swapping him with my striker won't work though will it because Babacar is completely untrained as AMR

Ok i thought you migt of been playing walcott there who is natural there.

Not a fan of rotation tbh.

Might try a 4-3-1-2 with Messi as an Trequartista or inside forward or a 4-4-2 with an AMR and AML with Messi on the left as an inside forward.

The 4-2-4 would work as would the 4-3-2-1

You could do a 4-2-3-1?

Going to try the 4-3-2-1 first, suits my squad better although some players are going to have to be rotated

Messi as a trequartista though, if that fails though I'll try him as an inside forward, he's been largely disappointing as inside forward for his first few games though, averaging around 6.4's.. He has to gel though I suppose.

Going to try the 4-3-2-1 first, suits my squad better although some players are going to have to be rotated

Messi as a trequartista though, if that fails though I'll try him as an inside forward, he's been largely disappointing as inside forward for his first few games though, averaging around 6.4's.. He has to gel though I suppose.

Yeah i also think the fact he was cutting in on his right foot did not help.

Yeah, it's probably best he blends in, in his natural position first.

Plus yeah, inside forwards aren't great when they're hitting it on their weaker foot.

Do you think having Messi as the primary playmaker is the right decision? I've made Babacar the target man with supply set to mixed.

I would consider it would be either him or cesc.

you could make Messi target man ball to feet and let him work his magic from there but i assume either would work.

Messi has got yet another 6.7, I'll make him target man, ball to feet with Cesc as playmaker.

It really is stupid how the AI can get magic from him no matter what, yet he's ridiculous for me.

Yeah i had this issue in 9.3 when i got him for 35 million

He eventually found it.

What are the rest of the team tactics.

He's sitting behind a Poacher, attack (Walcott, Brooks) and Target Man, attack (Duve, Babacar) while he is sitting in front of a advanced playmaker, attack (Fabregas), central midfielder, attack (Wilshere, Nasri) and a Box to box midfielder (Amador)..

We play a very fluid, controlling game, playing direct passing, more expressive.

Messi has got yet another 6.7, I'll make him target man, ball to feet with Cesc as playmaker.

It really is stupid how the AI can get magic from him no matter what, yet he's ridiculous for me.

he would still need to settle down, so a few bad games early on should be expected

I really struggled with Messi on my Barca save. I tried all sorts...He was ok but not "Messi". He'd have so many one-on-one's but never put them away. I saw in one match that he had 7 Shots, 5 on target and 1 goal. All the shots were at most 18 yards out - I don't know what I did wrong lol

I'm starting to think I ought to try team talks, see if they can improve the situation.

Failing to get Messi "working" can be a real knock to your confidence, no matter how well your team might be doing^^

He's sitting behind a Poacher, attack (Walcott, Brooks) and Target Man, attack (Duve, Babacar) while he is sitting in front of a advanced playmaker, attack (Fabregas), central midfielder, attack (Wilshere, Nasri) and a Box to box midfielder (Amador)..

We play a very fluid, controlling game, playing direct passing, more expressive.

Maybe Fabregas,Nasri and Wilshere intrude with Messi's space i would put Fab and Wilshere on support duty and then see what happens.

What is going wrong is it he is doing woeful on the ball or is he not getting the ball and is he isolated from the rest of the team or is he too cramped.

Yeah, I'll see what comes.

I struggle with quite a few superstars though in the midfield. Fabregas has always been good for me, never amazing.

I'll try the support roles Evil, he's usually from what I can see losing the ball a lot, not making good dribbles and failing to connect a lot of passes.

Yeah, I'll see what comes.

I struggle with quite a few superstars though in the midfield. Fabregas has always been good for me, never amazing.

I'll try the support roles Evil, he's usually from what I can see losing the ball a lot, not making good dribbles and failing to connect a lot of passes.

I would also try reducing the mentality to around 3 less than babochars unless playing from the wings.

I have not, I've heard of it though.

Why, what does it cover that could help me?

It is just brilliant for tactical understanding.

I am 1 million% better at fm for reading it.

I think there is a sticky thread at the top of the tactics and training forums that has it.

Archived