Training Facilities - Top

Youth Facilties - Average plus Academy

Youth Recruitment - Average

Club Information

Nation - England

Founded - 1879

Reputation - National

Chairman Status - Loves the club

Legends - Bob Stokoe, Jim Montgomery, Len Shackleton, Iam Porterfield, Gary Rowell,

Charlie Hurley, Bobby Kerr and Niall Quinn.

Icons - Kevin Ball, Kevin Phillips and Vic halom.

Favoured Personel - Darren Bent, Jordan Henderson, John Mensah, Steed Malbranque and Lee Cattermole.

Derbies - Tyne and Wear Derby (Vs Newcastle)

Fierce Rivals - Newcastle

Other Rivals - Middlesboro and Leeds

Finances - Rich

Average Ticket Price - £27

Average Season Ticket Price - £430

Season Ticket holders - 31,000

Estimated Value - £88 million (loan debt £57 million)

Continental Competition - None

Media Prediction - 12th

Squad Personality - Determined

Captain - Lee Cattermole

Vice Captain - Bolo Zenden

Sunderland Recent History

Sunderland returned to the Premier League as First Division champions in 1999 with a then-record 105 points. Two consecutive seventh place finishes in the Premier League were followed by two less successful seasons, and they were relegated to the second-tier with a then-record low 19 points in 2003. Former Ireland manager Mick McCarthy took over at the club, and, in 2005, he took Sunderland up as champions for the third time in less than ten years. However, the club's stay in the top flight was short-lived; as Sunderland were once again relegated, this time with a new record-low total of 15 points. McCarthy left the club in mid-season, and he was replaced temporarily by former Sunderland player Kevin Ball. The record-low fifteen-point performance was surpassed in the 2007–08 season by Derby County, who finished on eleven points.Following the club's relegation, it was taken over by the Irish Drumaville Consortium, headed by ex-player Niall Quinn, who appointed former Manchester United captain Roy Keane as the new manager. Under Keane, the club rose steadily up the table with an unbeaten run of 17 games to win promotion to the Premier League, and were named winners of the Championship after beating Luton Town 5–0 at Kenilworth Road on 6 May 2007. The club's form in the 2007–08 season was better than during their last season in the Premier League, as they finished 15th with 39 points. Following an inconsistent start to the 2008–09 season Keane resigned, to be replaced by coach Ricky Sbragia, initially as caretaker manager though his position was later made permanent. After keeping Sunderland in the Premier League, Sbragia stepped down from his managerial post. Steve Bruce was then announced as the new Sunderland manager on 3 June, signing a three-year contract. Sunderland completed the signing of Ghana international Asamoah Gyan in August 2010 for a fee around £13 million, becoming their new record transfer fee.

It is also worth noting that Sunderland have more league titles than many of the teams in the English Premier League, however the last of these titles was in 1936. The last cup win was in 1973 with a 1-0 win over Leeds this saw in my opinion the greatest save any GK has ever made in the history of football. The fans have waited a long time for some success and in FM they won't have to wait much longer with a great chairman and a bit of cash this club is ready for some success.

Squad Analysise

Goalkeepers

Cragi Gordon, Simon Mignolet and Trevor Carson - Craig Gordon is the star in this position and one of the best player at the club due to his injury he will have to be replaced by Mignolet for the first few months of the season. Carson should be shipped out as soon as possible or kept on in the reserves in the event of a Mignolet injury.

Starman - Craig Gordon

Back up - Simon Mignolet

Transfer Targets - Not really needed although a youngster maybe a good option if anything happens to Mignolet in the first few months.

Right Backs

Marcus Angeleri, Phil Bardsley and Nedum Onuoha - Bardsley is a solid rightback and will get the job done in the first couple of seasons. Angeleri plays okay and is useful to fill in at CB should injuries occur. Onuoha due to his place will be useful at rightback however this position will need strengthening in the second season.

Starman - Phil Bardsley

Back up - Nedum Onuoha

Transfer Targets - Johnathan or Marco Motta

Left Backs

George McCartney and Keiran Richardson - Richardson is more attacking and probably better suited to playing as a winger. McCartney is inury prone and not that good really this position will need looking at straight away as neither player are really capable of making much of an impact here.

Starman - None but Richardson is an average wingback

Back up - George McCartney

Transfer Targets - Desperately need someone, Taiwo on a free transfer in the second season is a great option. Also worth a look is Pocognoli

Central Defenders

Michael Turner, Titus Bramble, Paolo Da Silva, John Mensah and Anton Ferdinand - This area is pretty weak in my opinion. I would play Bramble and Turner despite Brambles low mental attributes he is a better option than the other players. Michael Turner lacks pace but is a solid CB who can play for the next few years. I might be biased as I do not like Ferdinand in real life but he should be shipped out as soon as possible as he does not deserve the wage that he earns. Da Silva although not brilliant can cover all the defensive positions. Mensah is an okay back up but someone I would not look to sign once his loan ended.

Starman - Michael Turner

Back up - Titus Bramble

Transfer Targets - Gary Cahill, Danny Wilson, Omar Toprak,

Defensive Midfielders

Lee Cattermole and Cristian Riveros - Both players can do an excellent job here Riveros as backup to Cattermole is good enough for a couple of seasons and I personally play them both together and leave the wingers and strikers to score. No need to improve here at all just yet although another DMC could be brought in if you will play the two of them together.

Starman - Lee Cattermole

Back up - Cristian Riveros

Transfer Targets - Not needed unless you want to use 2 DMC's Sandro is a good target for the second season.

Central Midfielders

Jordan Henderson and Jack Colback - These two are the main natural CM's in the Sunderland squad. I am not sure on the potential of Henderson in FM but recent performances in real life should have him being one to watch. Can play from the start but as the game progresses may end up as more of a squad player. Colback is an average CM that should be worked out of the team as you attract better players.

Starman - Jordan Henderson

Back up - Jack Colback although Andy Reid can play here as well.

Transfer Targets - Steven Defour in the second season it maybe possible to get Jack Wilshere and Aaron Ramsey on loan.

Right Wingers

Ahmed Elmohammady and Steed Malbranque - Mohammady surprisingly outplays his stats and is a decent kick run and cross player who can cover at rightback as well. On loan at the club I would not pick him up permanentely as you should be able to get better at the start of the second season. Despite a lack of pace and the fact that in real life Malbranque has been reborn recently as an AMC he is the best right winger in the Sunderland side. Has the ability to play all across midfield but after a few seasons his stats will start to decrease so a young replacement is needed sooner rather than later.

Starman - Steed Malbranque

Back up - Jordan Henderson

Transfer Targets - Seb Blanco is a good bet and can play all midfield positions.

Left Wingers

Andy Reid and Bolo Zenden - Zenden is too old but useful in the first season Andy Reid is injured at the start so maybe Malbranque on the left is good until Reid is fit again. His natural fitness lets him down but Reid can perform excellently and chip in with a few goals here and there. This area also needs looking at but there is also Richardson to cover here during injuries or desperation.

Starman - Andy Reid

Back up - Richardson or Zenden

Transfer Targets - In January Eden Hazard or at the start James Rodriguez

Stikers

Darren Bent, Asamoah Gyan, Frazier Campbell and Danny Welbeck - Bent is quick and a great finisher he will bag at least 25 goals a season depending on how many games he plays. Gyan is a bit crazy and will often finish hard chances, shoot from anywhere, beat 4 men and score but also miss easy chances. If used correctly these two can be a great strike force especially in a counter attack style of play with their pace. Despite poor stats in some areas Campbell will become a decent squad player and will chip in with 10 plus goals a season covering for Bent and Gyan. Welbeck is not really up to it but once again has pace which will grab him a few goals.

Starman - Darren Bent

Back up - Asamoah Gyan

Transfer Targets - Not really need in my opinion maybe a back up if you use two up front but Campbell is more than capable given the right tactic. Maybe a targetman like Milevskiy or Kevin Davies could be an option depending on how you want to play.

Overall

The main areas of most importance would be some creativity on the wings, a left back and at least one CB. These targets can be bought in January as the board will usually raise the transfer budget by quite a bit in November time. At the start you can request more wages and sometimes persuade the board to give you more transfer budget as well. With monthly installments it means you could potentially spend a bit of cash.

Targets I would recommend would be Gary Cahill at CB, Taye Taiwo's contract with Marseille expires at the end of the first season and he can be signed on a free transfer. It is also worth noting that although he may cost a bit of money Eden Hazard is a viable target and can be signed to arrive in January if the board give you enough money. I would also like a rightback for the second season and Jonathan from Ajax is a great deal at £5 million.

Second season will be the most important as that is when you can start loaning and buying your own players and really building the squad up as your own. Players such as Aaron Ramsey and Jack Wilshere will be available to loan in. Sandro from Spurs may be available on loan or to buy.

Formations and Tactics

442l.jpg4411d.jpg

Personally I would start with one of the above tactics using a direct, balanced/rigid, counter/ standard tactic. I have found that a 4-4-2 with 2 DMC's is very effective especially if a pair of quick wingers are brought in. With the pace of the strikers the team will sit back and soak up any pressure before breaking quickly to score even on a standard mentality the team will play a counter style of football.

It is hard to give advice on formations and tactics as I am not sure what sort of players people will want to buy thus moulding the tactics to their liking.

Finances

The club is spending £783,703 a week on wages, how ever there is no transfer budget available no matter what expectation you set.

Midtable - 825k a week wages budget

Top half - 950k a week

European Qualification - 975k

Title Challenge - £1 million

Winners - £1 million

The bank balance is a healthy £37 million and it is possible to persuade the board to give you more transfer money and wages although these are pretty small amounts. At the start of November however the board are likely to increase your transfer budget to between £10 million and £20 million.

Overall I think Sunderland is a great game most of the starting squad will have to be phased out over the first few seasons. Henderson and Colback can become decent backup players so bringing in some youth is also a good idea. With the decent stadium and a decent chairman the club has lots of potential.

Good luck people.

Once the full game is released I would like to create a list of players that people have signed at the start of the game as this is one of the things that people ask most when starting as a new team.

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cheers people.

Taiwo's contract expires at the end of the first season, I bid more than what I had for him to see if he was interested and he would sign a contract. As long as he doesn't sign a new contract you should be able to sign him in January, edited post to say second season thought I had already put that lol.

Good stuff Acidburn.

What's up with us being in debt though? And Cattermole in favoured personnel?

Gordon's stats seem a bit backward as well, he's not commanding of his box and not too good in the air, and one on ones is something he is much better at yet his stats say different. :p And there's no H in Cristian.

Cheers marcftm, edited the H out lol.

Gordon still performs pretty well for me I expect him to get better once the rubbish defenders are moved out.

Anyone else had a go on the demo as Sunderland yet?

I didn't actually notice you had done it, only noticed it in game. I'm picky though so don't mind me :D

Why is Welbeck so poor in the game?

He's a starter for Sunderland and a star for England's U21s.

He is not that good stats wise but probably has potential. He might start for Sunderland but he hasn't done anything that impressive yet, on the FM demo he will always be a legend for me after he grabbed 4 goals in a 4-0 win over Newcastle.

Thanks Acidburn

Just started and take some from wage budget to transfer budged. Transferred Andre Santos, Gokhan Gonul and Julien Faubert not to have problems in both backs. Also loaned Lukaku although I am happy with my strikers. My last transfer will be for the midfield. I want a player who can play both offensive and defensive indeed box to box. I hope I can see Sunderland in the Europe at the end of the season.

Excellent OP Acidburn. Only just downloaded the demo and nearly cried when saw the stats on some players. Will be interesting to see how updates change things.

Feeling a bit poorly now , might have to take a couple of days off to give the first few months a bash!

I gave the demo a whack and got horribly ravaged by injuries, with both GK's out, Elmo out for 5 months, Welbeck out for 6. Won all friendlies comfortably, but then Cattermole did a Cattermole in my opening game against Wigan and got sent off in 10 minutes, then Carson made an absolute howler and I switched the game off in disgust. Really hope Hendersons stats get a look at, as he's a bit crap in the game whilst being touted for England in real life.

I'll be starting afresh come November 5th and my Sunderland games always tend to go well, our squad is much stronger than previous seasons.

I selected top half finish which is easily achievable I think. If you take the wage budget and convert it into cash this gives you £7.3 million to spend and puts the wage budget to 800k a week. If you then ask the board for more wages to attract higher reputation players they will accept and raise it to 875k, this doesn't work unless you change the wages to transfer budget at the start.

Kept getting pasted playing 442 so have switched to 451 and had some success. Tried to make it similar to real life except Gyan's on the left for Welbeck and Angleleri for Onouha. Henderson is set as box to box, Cattermole ball winner and Malbranque AMC with loads of freedom to roam.

Yeah going to go for that against the better teams, might be the safest option. Right now the two are in the central midfield positions which is great in attack, I can get 4 in the box for crosses but once the opposition attacker gets it on the half way line the defence backs off as a unit and lets him have acres of space. Ideally setting the centre backs to close down more is a better solution but if they do it at the wrong time, like when the full backs have gone forward, it will leave half the pitch to exploit.

Oh and Gyan just got his jaw broken down at Stoke. Step forward Andy Reid.

I'll definately be playing as Sunderland once the full game comes out! I last played as them in FM09 and had my best ever save with them, winning everything! Sunderland are now one of my favourite teams IRL so i'll definately be giving them a go :)

Also, great OP :D

Well second run through of the demo using two DMC's is going well:

Stevenage - Won 5-1

St. Johnstone - Won 2-0

Cheltenham - Won 4-0

Gillingham - Won 3-0

Dungannon - Won 3-0

Wigan - Won 4-2 (Cattermole was sent off in the 18th min with scores still level)

About to sit down and start my real sunderland game for 2011, just waiting for the patch to download on steam. Having played part of the demo I found signing Andre Santos for around 2.8 mill and georginio wijnaldum (sp?) for around 5.5 mill, to be very worthwhile signings. I started using 442 but through injuries to strikers I ended up trying out a 4321 which was something new to me but found it worked quite well for me.

Hopefully will get Andre Santos again as i found he was a very talented attacking full back, and for me Richardson played fr better at left mid than left back anyway. Anyone else started a full game with Sunderland yet? Any bargains you found?

I started last night but the save game was corrupted so ive started again

Havnt managed to sell any players so far, only Zenden for 850k, nobody wants any of my other players strangely.

Players in:

Vaclac Kadlec 850k

Milan Badelj 4m

Jose Angel 2.3m

Robert Pires Free

Levan Kenia Loan

Ryan Shawcross 12.5m (Board negotiated this one)

By asking the board for more wages and adjusting budgets i ended off with 9m transfer budget. I signed badelj over 48 months so i still have 5m or so which leaves me enough to sign Paulo Henrique over 48 months, i realise this could damage the club financially in the future but i will cross that bridge when i come to it.

Havnt been able to play a game so far as it crashes everytime i try

Archived