Was this goal really offside?

HL7

I've uploaded a pkm of a champions league match I had with Shakthar (i'm Inter) where I lost 2-1. Now in the 90th minute I had a low cross into the box and Ibrahimovic tapped in to make it 2-2 only for it to be disallowed. I checked the replay and, to me anyway, it shows Ibrahimovic being in front of the last defender but behind the ball when it's played.

Now I know FM referees sometimes get it horribly wrong, but when I complained to the press after the game I got a warning as the goal was "clearly offside". Perhaps i'm wrong but i'd appreciate it if someone else could take a look at it :)

Match Here!

Looks offside, hard to tell in dafuge's screenshot due to the camera angle. Damn linesman! ;)

Unfortunately that was the best angle, the camera wasn't in line with the ball on the elevated view which made it look onside.

Was that the camera angle that the match was originally viewed in?

From the screenshot it looks likely to be offside. However, as the ball has already been played, and a still screenshot gives no idea about how fast (if at all) the scorer was moving, there's still a possibility that the goal scorer could have been just on when the ball was played in my opinion.

From the screenshot it looks likely to be offside. However, as the ball has already been played, and a still screenshot gives no idea about how fast (if at all) the scorer was moving, there's still a possibility that the goal scorer could have been just on when the ball was played in my opinion.

The split second before the ball was played

There's no doubt he's ahead of the defender but he's pretty close to being in line with the ball. I still think he's offside though, there's no way he's behind the ball.

The split second before the ball was played

There's no doubt he's ahead of the defender but he's pretty close to being in line with the ball. I still think he's offside though, there's no way he's behind the ball.

Looks clearly offside to me there.

NB am I right in thinking you don't actually have to be behind the ball/the ball go backwards, as long as the ball doesn't go forwards? So that being level (i.e. if the ball goes in a dead straight horizontal line between passer and scorer in the screenshot) is enough to be on side? That's certainly the way it seems to be played in the Prem.

I haven't looked at it, but from people are saying, I'm slightly confused.

I was lead to believe that as long as Ibrahimovic was to be behind the passer, he would be onside.

No matter the direction of the ball, as long as ZI is behind the assister, isn't he on?

Anyway, that's what I thought.

Edit: Just looked. He's offside anyway, no matter where the assister is standing... Well, in the screenshots anyway...

Looks level with the ball in the second pic, tbh. No daylight there so benefit of the doubt should go to the striker.

Then again linesman always get that wrong

Edit: Maybe just off seeing it again and using the make shift lovefilm 360 case as a ruler :D

Sorry, been away all afternoon, the match was played in the default camera and not the one in dafuges screenshot.

Using a ruler to determine is brilliant and shows just how close it is. Perhaps i'm biased but I still believe he's onside and will fight it to the death ;):D

Archived