Clubs go up, Clubs go back down

IRL the clubs that get promoted are always amongst the favourites to go straight back down again.

Some clubs, eg Sunderland, develop a reputation as a "yo-yo club", getting promoted just to get relegated again, but then to instantly come back up again.

I don't see a problem that the same is happening in the game.

In my game with West Ham, Middlesbrourgh were relegated in the first season, promoted in the second, relegated in the third and now in the fourth season look to be back on their way back to the premiership.

Not in mine. I've just returned to Germany in season 20127/2018 and the league is barely recogniseable, Dortmund, Werder, Leverkusen, Nurnberg, Wolfsburg, Hertha Berlin and Gladbach have all been relegated and replaced with the likes of Offenbach and Aachen etc. Aachen are actually in 4th place for the Bundesliga.

I havent noticed team coming straight back up or going down on my game.

Everton have spent four years in the championship without so much as a sniff of the playoffs, while Colchester are sitting second in the league and have just got through the champions league group stage in a group that consisted of Milan and Barca!

Other teams in the prem are Burnley, Sheff Wed, Ipswich and Cardiff

Originally posted by gcormack:

are you playing with just one league loaded. that would probably explain it due to the reputation factor.

Whether I'm managing an EPL team or managing in BSS and with a few foreign leagues loaded, I usually see this. Either all 3 promoted clubs go down or two do. I regularly see a 'Derby' each season - I had Cardiff promoted in 2008 only to win their only EPL game on the last day of the season, then Norwich outdo them the next season! The ways things are these days, I don't question the realism.

Does the detail level have an impact i.e. if it is on view only it would still be based on reputation in the same way as if you were only running the BPL. If you run all league son full detail you may see it spread out a bit more, although I doubt it would affect the promoted teams going back down most seasons. As phnompenh says, that isn't entirely unrealistic.

I believe it could have something to do with the database size chosen, large one have a larger pool of quality players to buy from, hence the poorer teams have a better chance of staying up. I play a medium database, it seems the 3 that comes up always go down. Most players recommended in the good players forum I'm unable to see, unless they are the -9s or fixed PA players. Just a theory, if you post your database size and league behavior maybe we can form a pattern.

Whether based on reputation or in more detail the outcome is much the same. The promoted clubs invariably have very small resources and buy players for peanuts - they just can't compete with the established EPL teams. One might survive at the expense of Derby or Middlesboro (who come straight back up), and either linger around 17th place or go down the next season.

I'm in 2049 currently on my game, and I've got to say that overall I've not seen this phenomenon that much - I mean, there are teams that yo-yo between the Premiership and Championship, at the moment this inludes the likes of Arsenal and Man Utd, but generally, I have rarely seen 3-up-3-down or even "doing a Derby" very often.

Archived