Defender Speed

I find a deep D-line a problem as it leaves space for an AMC in between my midfield and defence, hence i try to go for quick CBs.

Also, due to the fact the "mark man - specific" tactic is useless, i've found that you can't just designate your quick CB to mark the quicker striker - the strikers swap but the CBs don't...doh, all of which means that 2 quick CBs is quite a large help.

Can a player overcome lack of speed with good positioning ?

A perfect real-life example would be Sami Hyypia.

He's never had any pace, yet would anyone (aside from biased Man Yoo fans) question his ability, or record, as a World-Class Centre Back?

He's on the slide now at 33 obviously, but besides that...

To some extent, but not entirely. Especially if you're the more dominant team and have high possession - as your team is likely to push up a bit leaving gaps.

It is actually too hard setting a tactic where your CDs stay far back no matter what, even with the deepest possible setting they have a tendency to push up half court .

So i guess poor accelerating defenders need to waste a DM infront of them .

A perfect real-life example would be Sami Hyypia.

He's never had any pace, yet would anyone (aside from biased Man Yoo fans) question his ability, or record, as a World-Class Centre Back?

He's on the slide now at 33 obviously, but besides that...

Sorry man i am not following the Premiership

id like to ask a quick question here, im Ipswich and am using Da Vos who has 3 for pace and acceleration, so far this season my team has only been caught out against boro in the league cup. seen as he is slow, how would i best set up instructions when using a slow Cb like him?

Mmmmh, I wouldn't say Maldini is the best example... Remember he played for a lot of years as a left full back and surely he was not a turtle :D

Now he's playing as a CB and his speed/acceleration collapsed, but remember he's 40 years old... :thup:

Yeah, its a great credit that he's been able to play at the level he has until this age therefore speed doesn't count for everything :)

Archived