What in your opinion is more enjoyable?

I love staying with my beloved LFC, making them a dominant force again, buying young prospects, and developing them into legends, then selling them in the early 30s for a profit. I have many saves still knocking about from FM11 and FM09, with some great young regen kids.

However, in my last FM11 save, at the end of yet another save, I was offered a job at Real Madrid. So I saved my LFC save for future use (because I had some good players already coming in), and moved to RM. But because you have a blank chequebook, and I already had a decent tactic, it was just a case of winning every game, which I pretty much did. So due to the monotony of not doing anything else, like keeping an eye on your reserves/youth teams, I left the save before the end of the season.

From personal experience I've preferred the journeyman type save because of the variety in it rather than sticking with one club and bringing them up. The exception for me is Tenerife, always want to bring them to the top and that's only because my first ever remotely successful save was with them.

People constantly misunderstand the meaning of the term "journeyman". If you move to lots of different clubs and are successful, you're not a journeyman. "Journeyman" is a slightly derogatory term (admittedly only slightly) used to describe the likes of Steve Claridge who move around a lot without ever hitting any dizzy heights.

To answer the original question, I've had fun with both. But the thing with what we seem to call "journeyman" careers round here is that there's the added excitement of not knowing where you'll go next and waiting for offers to come in. You can't beat that.

I have never played a "one club" game. I always try to play as realistically as possible starting at the bottom so if a better/more interesting offer comes in I usually take it. I tend to stay with clubs between 2-5 years and then move on.

I could not do a one club save as I would find it boring very quickly

People constantly misunderstand the meaning of the term "journeyman". If you move to lots of different clubs and are successful, you're not a journeyman. "Journeyman" is a slightly derogatory term (admittedly only slightly) used to describe the likes of Steve Claridge who move around a lot without ever hitting any dizzy heights.

To answer the original question, I've had fun with both. But the thing with what we seem to call "journeyman" careers round here is that there's the added excitement of not knowing where you'll go next and waiting for offers to come in. You can't beat that.

I know what you mean about the use of 'journeyman', can you think of a better word?

I'm similar to billy. I try to play realistically. Probably spend on average 2 or 3 years at a club and then move on... Usually up another tung of the ladder so to speak. I think the days of one club managers is fast disappearing in the modern game, if it ever really existed at all??? Especially in recent decades few managers have remained at one club. Have they??? Now trying to think of examples to disprove myself...

I know what you mean about the use of 'journeyman', can you think of a better word?

The fact I bothered to post that makes it seem like I care more than I do. If people wanna say "journeyman", I can live with it.

As long as they get infractions!

I've been doing a nomadic, much better term then journeyman, career save this year. It's quite enjoyable, learning about rules in leagues you have never played before. Even if it isn't really that realistic moving from a team I've got promoted to League One to the Argentinian Second Division, or then moving from the Brazilian First Division to Derby in the Championship and then on to Ajax a few months later.

You have to really enjoy managing clubs that are in crisis and generally in an awful state financially, stablise them as best you can and then move on to a bigger job. If you like building clubs then a single club career is great fun, but I prefer to do that after I have worked my around a few clubs and then got the job at my favourite club.

The fact I bothered to post that makes it seem like I care more than I do. If people wanna say "journeyman", I can live with it.

As long as they get infractions!

We need a name for a career where you move around regularly, winning things. An Ibrahimovic career?

I used to start with the club I want to manage, and try to stick with them. This time I started as a lowly Serie C1A manager, albeit one of the best C1A teams, Verona. It was great to know any player I scouted pretty much was good enough for my team, but could I afford them, and were they willing to come? After I got Verona promoted I took another Serie B job, mainly because I felt the Verona board weren't willing to trust me with a transfer budget. Bologna was in crisis, but they had SO MUCH more quality than my Verona team had it was a no-brainer. I took an international job to get a taste for managing the better players (Ghana). Ended up in Serie A, was eventually offered the Juve job (I wanted the Inter job, but Inter were having success already), even if this means I don't get to manage Inter I have to take this opportunity. I mean, to have a transfer budget of less than $5m to a kitty of $30m...

I pursued a dual strategy of signing players for business (i.e. profit primarily) and for the future. The team already had Giovinco, Chiellini and Marchisio all at their peak, I just had to get the best out of them, and prepare the heirs to their throne. Once I tasted success I knew that I had to establish a dynasty, perennial contenders, not a team that needs to make big money signings every window, though, one that is able to develop talents into first team footballers.

Once I succeeded there was no way I could leave to join another team, because for one I didn't want to face my old team in Europe, and another I didn't want to see a new manager sell off all the stars I had nurtured and developed! So I now manage Juventus and Sevilla simultaneously! I face my old team, but I am still managing them! :D

Archived