My first big arguement (

(manerging arsenal) just had a massive arguement with a player who keeps deamanding first team football even though he imo he isn't good enough. i decided to play him in one game as was the league cup as i'm not to bothered about i use as a chance to blood youngster or reserves anyway he made a terrible mistake late on with lead to the other team scoreing winning anyway i decided to fine him a weeks wages for it and he come and complains to me(he the only one who played poorley)here is our conversation(with tones)

Him (Assertively) We'll keep this between the two of us for now but i feel my recent fine was unfair

Me(Calmly) I feel you deserved the fine and i stick by my decision

Him (Reluctantly) I hoped you would show a bit more understanding about this especially after everthing we went through when I asked to leave for more first team football.

Me(Aggressively) That incident was weeks ago and isn't relevant to this conversation

Him(Assertively) Ok, I admit I shouldn't have brought that up but we still need to sort this issue out

Me(Assertively) You are a professional and you need to carry on doing your job

Him(Assertively) Are you just trying to make things worse

Me(Aggressively) Your're being very unprofessional here, get on with your football and start showing me some respect

Him (Aggressively) Maybe I am being unprofessional, but given how you've treated me I think its understandable

Me (Aggressively) I am fed up of hearing about this to be honest, drop this and get get on with playing football

Him (Aggressively I'm not backing down here, i dont think I can work with you anymore after this treat meant

Him (Assertively) I'll get going then if thats everthing, see you in traing

Me: (Aggresively) f****** lucky for you my tap door abover my croc pit is operational yet((ok i made this one up)

anyway what do you think? how would you of handeled this situation?

I think here:

"Me(Assertively) You are a professional and you need to carry on doing your job"

what other options did you had?

I find these private talks a pain in the arse too in fm12, in fm11 players were obedient, now they get upset from anything, even if you warn them for a horror red card tackle

Yesterday while i played i received news that my GK(who has played in every single game for 90min the last 3 seasons) wants more first team football?!?!A week later we had a chat and he handed a transfer request in order to get more first team football...WTF?!Now his morale went bananas and i can't play him at all.

To be honest I'd be pretty pissed off if you fined me for a mistake, especially if it wasn't down to laziness.

Calling me up to the office telling me to do better next time would be fine, confiscating my wages would be something else entirely. In my opinion he had every right to be angry.

Players are never fined for a mistake irl. It's bonkers - if I was your youngster being fined, I would be livid. He's right, and you are wrong.

You fine players for conducting themselves in a totally unexceptable manner either on the field, or off it, and even then, only if they have been given a warning first. Mistakes or bad performance don't come into this category. You can warn players if they play particularly bad, and then only fine them if it is repeated within the next few matches he plays.

it wasn't simply the mistake it was his constant complaining about stuff the poor performence(4.7) was the last straw and him whingeing about the other players not 'allowing him to play well even though most of them where youngsters they all got @ least 6.8 (the guy i fined was 26) just really pissed me off imo his performence & attitude justify me not playing him and selling him

Players are never fined for a mistake irl. It's bonkers - if I was your youngster being fined, I would be livid. He's right, and you are wrong.

You fine players for conducting themselves in a totally unexceptable manner either on the field, or off it, and even then, only if they have been given a warning first. Mistakes or bad performance don't come into this category. You can warn players if they play particularly bad, and then only fine them if it is repeated within the next few matches he plays.

Wrong actually, although it is rear it happens. Martin Jol fined Kasami of Fulham just for missing a penalty against Chelsea in the Carling Cup this season :eek:

it is ok to warn your players for 6.0 ratings, if it happens again you can fire away with fines

I had an inconsistent player one match 6.0 second match 9.0 scored to goals then 6.0 again

fined him every time, and he is my captain in fm11,best player I have in the team, determination 20, and he hasn't complained once!

Well, if that is true, it is absurd.

Actually it's not that uncommon, although it mainly happens when the player that missed the penalty kick wasn't the selected kicker. I remember Magath did the same this season (and he fined for a lot more crap), Mourinho was anything but happy as well when Ronaldo gave Ramos a penalty kick last season etc. Some managers rule with an "iron fist" and fine for pretty much anything.

Well that is different then. Blatantly disregarding a managers instructions is one thing, making a mistake/missing a penalty/having a bad game is quite another.

How big the fines are do also have to be taken into account - there's a difference between giving a symbolic £1000 (or whatever) fine, and giving a one week's pay fine, which is the minimum in FM ... we know what PRL players earn in a week, don't we.

To put it this way; If Jol had fined me a week pay for missing a penalty, I would sue him, and the club, and ask for a immediate transfer. Likewise if I had been fined a week's pay for having the odd really crap game, which can happen to everyone.

Well that is different then. Blatantly disregarding a managers instructions is one thing, making a mistake/missing a penalty/having a bad game is quite another.

How big the fines are do also have to be taken into account - there's a difference between giving a symbolic £1000 (or whatever) fine, and giving a one week's pay fine, which is the minimum in FM ... we know what PRL players earn in a week, don't we.

To put it this way; If Jol had fined me a week pay for missing a penalty, I would sue him, and the club, and ask for a immediate transfer. Likewise if I had been fined a week's pay for having the odd really crap game, which can happen to everyone.

how would you justify that if you did try and sue I'd you for unprofessional behaviour

You're working as a shelf stocker in a supermarket. One day you drop a glass of pickles, and your boss deducts 1 week pay from you, as punishment. Would you stand for that? Would you take it on the chin even if he just fined you the value of the glass of pickles?. I wouldn't. It's ridiculous.

soupel--

...my GK(who has played in every single game for 90min the last 3 seasons) wants more first team football?!?

What's his squad status? I get this once in a while from players who are starting regularly and it's usually because they're B teamers that I've forgotten to move up.

On the main question, I never fine players for a bad performance, even a string of them. I'll bench them or buy 'em a bus ticket but I won't fine them. For me, fines are a heavy weapon to be used with extreme care. I usually save them for straight reds, violent behavior or skipping practice. So, yes, I can understand the bad reaction from the fine.

I remember Magath did the same this season (and he fined for a lot more crap)
I think Magath got into a lot of trouble with the player's union for it though, because it is actually illegal (or so they said) to fine a player based on their performance in Germany. It happened some time ago, didn't it?

I think Magath got into a lot of trouble with the player's union for it though, because it is actually illegal (or so they said) to fine a player based on their performance in Germany. It happened some time ago, didn't it?

Well, he fined Helmes and Mandzukic (sp?) for "too low workrate" to put it in FM terms, and according to the player's union they would have a decent chance if they stepped to the court about it. Although it seems fines are frowned upon in Germany no matter the situation.

I warn them after bad performances, if their reaction is good (apology) then the matter is over, if they are shocked or make no comment I fine them 1 week straight after and they almost always accept it. If not, I fine them 2 weeks and they either accept it or have a chat. Stay calm in the chats, I think thats the key to it.

Archived