Selling behind your back...

Now chairmen selling players against a managers wishes isnt new. it happens you have to deal with it, but i just cant get my head around this one:

Star defender, 21 years old, bought for £1.5m 2 seasons ago and now worth £4m.

Sevilla offer £6m (with £0m upfront, £6m over 48months) and my chairmen accepts it saying its too good an offer.

I'm sorry but in this day and age, £6m in installments over 4 years for a star 21 year old whos playing international football already is nothing at all!

and it's not because i have no money, my club is making £10m+ profit a year. There's literally no need to be selling our star players for literally nothing.

he's happy as well, made no signs of wanting to leave, 4 years left on his contract. i just cant find any logical reason for wanting to accept it.

Anybody agree this is stupid?

I think it's down to the individual chairman and what his hidden attributes are. A £4.5m profit in 2 years would probably sway him, -as its good business- if he was money driven and didn't have much loyalty to the club. From a footballing perspective though, its bad business!

I think it's down to the individual chairman and what his hidden attributes are. A £4.5m profit in 2 years would probably sway him, -as its good business- if he was money driven and didn't have much loyalty to the club. From a footballing perspective though, its bad business!

even if he was purely money driven it doesnt make sense. its gonna take him 4 years to see £6m, when in 4 years time he could be worth £15m+.

hell considering what young 21 year olds go for now £15m would be good business.

i just really really cant see any logical sense for accepting £6m that gonna take 4 years to see. ive tried to look at it from different points of view and even someone of a low IQ would see a player like that is worth a hell of a lot more.

its just really depressing knowing im loosing my star player while trying to build a good team up for nothing. i wouldnt be so bothered if it was some silly money offer which he had no choice in accepting but £6m is nothing at all!

Now chairmen selling players against a managers wishes isnt new. it happens you have to deal with it, but i just cant get my head around this one:

Star defender, 21 years old, bought for £1.5m 2 seasons ago and now worth £4m.

Sevilla offer £6m (with £0m upfront, £6m over 48months) and my chairmen accepts it saying its too good an offer.

I'm sorry but in this day and age, £6m in installments over 4 years for a star 21 year old whos playing international football already is nothing at all!

and it's not because i have no money, my club is making £10m+ profit a year. There's literally no need to be selling our star players for literally nothing.

he's happy as well, made no signs of wanting to leave, 4 years left on his contract. i just cant find any logical reason for wanting to accept it.

Anybody agree this is stupid?

Hi lawalero9...

I had this happen in my current West Brom game, first January transfer window and the chairman thought a 3.5 million bid for Craig Dawson was to good to turn down, BUT.....

I saw the in/out arrows active on my transfer centre, I clicked them, it was only the Craig Dawson transfer listed there, and happily I could still view the offer and reject it!.. even though the chairman had accepted the offer already.

Maybe this option was available for you? shame if you missed it, or it was not there... sucks when your building a team, only to have the chairman overide you:mad:

You're absolutely right Lawler; your chairman is a dickhead!

He sells one of your best assets & desn't get you an extra penny to spend to go some way to replace him. My chairman has done similar to me, & worse, done it on the last day of the transfer window!

I can understand if the club gets the money up front; but over 48 months is a complete nonsense.

SI should put this right & at least let the proceeds come into the club in a lump sum.

Personally, I think this feature should be removed altogether. Alternatively, it should only kick in if the club is in financial trouble.

If the feature is retained in some way, what is clear is that the manager needs to be able to interact and negotiate with the board, and that the offers can only be accepted if it is truly a silly offer. Even if Sevilla offered £6m up front for that player, I wouldn't consider that to be an outrageous offer by any means. I'd in fact consider it to be a terrible first bid.

Yeah! If the Chairman wants to sell a player out from under the manager he should at least have the decency to inform the manager before he does it. In this exchange the manager could then ultimately say "OK, but if you do this I see it as a lack of confidence in my ability to take this club forward and no longer feel able to continue as manager" and off we go!

Could you not have offered the player a new contract? That way, it shows the player you, the manager, want him to stay. If he still leaves, at least you've done everything you can.

i wish i could but it just says he doesnt want to sign a contract. this has happened everytime my chairman has done this so i think that must be built into the game, as all the players have always been happy/high morale.

i still cant think of any logical justification to explain why anyone would accept the bid my chairman did. Its kinda ruined my 22 season career game as well! :(

I think it really depends on the type of chairman.

I have a young promising LB. I put him a transfer value of 1m and he is worth around 250k. Even with that I got an offer from Portugal for 650k, but the chairman didn't accept it even when we were like 800k in red.

And maybe the board confidence in the manager has some effect. My position in club was very secured, so I think, that the chairman did trust my decision.

Personally, I think this feature should be removed altogether. Alternatively, it should only kick in if the club is in financial trouble.

If the feature is retained in some way, what is clear is that the manager needs to be able to interact and negotiate with the board, and that the offers can only be accepted if it is truly a silly offer. Even if Sevilla offered £6m up front for that player, I wouldn't consider that to be an outrageous offer by any means. I'd in fact consider it to be a terrible first bid.

I agree with this, it makes sense. It's not as if a Manager wouldn't be able to express his opinion on such a matter or have his say.

Raising the transfer status to at least 10X the original amount can also lead to getting more respectable bids in the middle ground. It happened with one of my promising right backs who was sold to Norwich for £7m. I wasn't massively cut up about it though, the money was useful and there are better players around.

• 3 months later...

Ok this needs to be changed for next version now or i'm gonna pass on 2013. (Only simply because of how soul destroying this is when you work so hard to build up a team)

My chairman has decided to sell my 2 best young players for no money at all on the last day of the transfer window.

I have a bank balance of £300 million and an available transfer budget of over £200 million.

Why in the hell would my chairman feel the need to sell 2 of my future stars when there's no need for the money in the slightest!

I have only ever had this happen when I was in the red, or had been offered way more for a player than the club's record sale. Although, I would agree that the chairman accepting offers lower than that which could probably be negotiated is annoying, sometimes I can offer the player out for more, sometimes I can't.

Archived