Paying a Fair Wage

Now, I've read a few threads regarding the means by which many FMer's determine how they go about deciding how much they will award players in the way of wages and if the truth be told I am shocked & appalled by what I've read.

Paying players a wage commensurate to their abilities, or perceived importance to the team makes good business sense granted, but we are talking about 'virtual' human beings here.

Do you ever stop to take into consideration the fact that your players have 'virtual' lives of their own? I very much doubt it.

Let's take player X at a top flight English side you may be managing. 27 years of age, not really a 'first team regular', gets to make 10-15 odd starts in a given season. Now you may take all this into consideration and decide to award him £15,000 a week.

Now Player Y. Player Y is 27 too, happens to be the star player, starts every game and bangs in 30 odd goals a season from left back for you. You take this into consideration and decide to award him 42,000 a week.

This would seem to make good business sense, but I suspect Karl Marx wouldn't be best pleased to learn you were doing this. Player X may not be as integral a part of your plans as Player Y, but he may have an 'FM' family of his own, 3 'virtual' mortgages to pay and a hankering for a new 'virtual' Porsche 911, mightn't he?

'Oh, but the board' I hear you all say. To hell with the board of directors. Your players are all 'virtual' people too.

All I'm saying is, if you do what you solely for the aggrandizement of your club, you are being a fool. Pay your players a fair wage, dammit!!!!!

I propose the inception of a regulatory body, one which will be comprised of mods or SI employees, that will be tasked with ensuring that all FM Managers pay their players a fair wage.

Going back to the opening post, is player X any less of a 'man' or less deserving of the 'good things' in life just because he can't run as fast as player y? Or has low anticipation?

He's a 'man' dammit!!! Probably has a family and a home and dependents and so on forth.

Viva la revolution

Oh and for all those you are in opposition to this idea; this is a thread in jest.

Thank you and good night

:D

Wow, some people really seem to get riled up over nothing. The fact of the matter is, this is a football management simulation game forum, not a G-8 summit or anything of that nature.

If you can't take a joke, then that really is too bad Barside.

Oh, and I do believe I made a point in the OP

It's a game.

No kidding?!!!

That is the reason I mentioned this was a thread in jest.

But come on as yeremeev mentioned, what about the players kids? Do you ever stop to think that maybe Odemwinge's daughter (if he has one) might not enjoy attending the school she's presently at and so may need to move on to a better school, who happen to charge that bit more and so poor Peter is in a pickle because he already spends 80% of his weekly wage on food shopping and the pools?

I'm going to ignore that daft stuff and use the title of the thread have a somewhat unconnected moan:

We started in the Blue Square North with a happy, united squad - poor, but happy.

We've gone full time as we made it to League Two, but at this point the players' contracts are up for renewal AND they've all gone and got themselves agents.

'Fair wages' is just not an option - the agents, as well as demanding stupid fees for themselves, are demanding pay rises of 5 to 10 times the original full-time salaries! I let the first 2 first team players go rather than meet their outrageous demands, but then I realised everyone was pitching in. I've caved into their greed (whilst negotiating the fattest managerial contract in the division!) and our wage bill has leapt from the lowest in League Two to the highest. This was only possible due to fortunate and prosperous cup run; hopefully we'll bag another in the three years before we have to do all this again. We got promoted again, but I am in the very realistic position of being hostage to wages spiralling out of control and relying on luck rather than sound financial planning.

Now I feel all my managerial dispositions makes me a bad person. As a consequence I've just sacked myself.

Way to go, Sikker.

If other managers adopt this approach then before you know it you'll have 80% of these 'virtual' footballers in the higher tax bracket, which means more 'coded' money in circulation in our economy and when you next pick up you Job seekers Giro, you'll have that much more to put towards FM 2013, where it all starts over.

I'm going to ignore that daft stuff and use the title of the thread have a somewhat unconnected moan:

We started in the Blue Square North with a happy, united squad - poor, but happy.

We've gone full time as we made it to League Two, but at this point the players' contracts are up for renewal AND they've all gone and got themselves agents.

'Fair wages' is just not an option - the agents, as well as demanding stupid fees for themselves, are demanding pay rises of 5 to 10 times the original full-time salaries! I let the first 2 first team players go rather than meet their outrageous demands, but then I realised everyone was pitching in. I've caved into their greed (whilst negotiating the fattest managerial contract in the division!) and our wage bill has leapt from the lowest in League Two to the highest. This was only possible due to fortunate and prosperous cup run; hopefully we'll bag another in the three years before we have to do all this again. We got promoted again, but I am in the very realistic position of being hostage to wages spiralling out of control and relying on luck rather than sound financial planning.

phnompenhandy = bourgeoise

BSN squad = proletariate.

You ought to be careful pal, or else you're going to have a revolution on your hands, you bad bourgeoise man

P.S...as unsavoury as some in-game agents are, they're human too and need to 'earn' a living

I made the mistake of assuming you were English and my sincerest apologies. Unless you are English and happen to be living in Eastern Europe or Cuba. It's not clear because you've said that you are living in the country but haven't mentioned being from there. But sorry all the same.

I made the mistake of assuming you were English and my sincerest apologies. Unless you are English and happen to be living in Eastern Europe or Cuba. It's not clear because you've said that you are living in the country but haven't mentioned being from there. But sorry all the same.

Nah, don't worry. I AM English but I live in Phnom Penh (see name and location on left) which is the capital of Cambodia. If you don't know the history of the worst genocide in history, don't worry!

Shake Appeal - an amateur league would have the same effect!

My favourite part is the worry about a guy who's making 15k a week not being able to nurture his family or to pay his (apparently oversized) martgages :D

@PPAndy: I don't want to get political, but another genocide with more than 2 million people killed comes to my mind when reading your last post. Anyway, that's not the sort of thing in which competitions should be run about who was the worst.

It's not only your players who should get a fair wage. What about your staff? Does scout X who only sends reports in of crappy players really a salary a third of scout Y who only sends reports of world class players?

And what about the corporate social responsibility of the club in itself? We need to pay fair fees to European as well as to African feeder clubs!

Now, I've read a few threads regarding the means by which many FMer's determine how they go about deciding how much they will award players in the way of wages and if the truth be told I am shocked & appalled by what I've read.

Paying players a wage commensurate to their abilities, or perceived importance to the team makes good business sense granted, but we are talking about 'virtual' human beings here.

Do you ever stop to take into consideration the fact that your players have 'virtual' lives of their own? I very much doubt it.

Let's take player X at a top flight English side you may be managing. 27 years of age, not really a 'first team regular', gets to make 10-15 odd starts in a given season. Now you may take all this into consideration and decide to award him £15,000 a week.

Now Player Y. Player Y is 27 too, happens to be the star player, starts every game and bangs in 30 odd goals a season from left back for you. You take this into consideration and decide to award him 42,000 a week.

This would seem to make good business sense, but I suspect Karl Marx wouldn't be best pleased to learn you were doing this. Player X may not be as integral a part of your plans as Player Y, but he may have an 'FM' family of his own, 3 'virtual' mortgages to pay and a hankering for a new 'virtual' Porsche 911, mightn't he?

'Oh, but the board' I hear you all say. To hell with the board of directors. Your players are all 'virtual' people too.

All I'm saying is, if you do what you solely for the aggrandizement of your club, you are being a fool. Pay your players a fair wage, dammit!!!!!

Your £15,000 a week player shouldn't be having an financial issues. That's a pretty good wage he's being paid compared to the rest of society.

And your left back is banging in 30 goals a season, I suggest that you stop playing him at left back and also start start paying him his fair wage. :D;)

See, that's the spirit.

All in good taste (I hope)

It was a joke thread and now I can't keep from laughing manically.

Well done all.

aderow, the rest of society aren't really a feature in game. Unless we start paying the fans to attend games.

Egalitarianism all the way.

Archived