Sacked - but now im over the moon!

So i start a new save and after watching Birmingham v West Ham the other night i decide to try my hand with the London club.

Day One in the job and i set about making a great squad, a young squad and one which is not paying over the odds on wages.

As the end of August came, i had sold Piquionne, Sears, Reid and Faubert while cutting the loans of McCartney and Bentley. This brings the wages down and gives me cas to play around with although i intend to sell Green and Nolan in January also. I bring in Colbeck from Sunderland and Smith from Newcastle and set about promotion.

My start is poor with defeat to Leeds and Gillingham (LC), both away and both 1-0 but then win ten and draw six of next 18 games. Middlesborough are well clear at the top but only 5 points seperate 2nd to 8th with myself in 5th. Everyone seems happy enough and i am scouting and watching players left, right and centre ready for Jan 1st.

I continue winning at home and drawing away which is ok by me and i look unlikely to lose many games when the transfer window arrives. Off go a few players like Green and Nolan to be replaced with Smithies and i knew a forward would be needed so signed Chamberlain on loan from Arsenal.

As soon as the window shuts i am away to Barnsley, 2-0 up and battering them when Smithies is sent off, rather harshly and im left with a youth teamer in goal. I set about shutting up shop but it backfires and i lose 3-2. I pick up 7 points in next 3 games before i lose to a 91st min pen at Brighton.

That result leaves me 6th, 5points clear of 7th and onyl 4 behind second with a game in hand.

The news flashes up that im gone, SACKED. Made a profit of 12m in transfer market and took annual wage from 26m to 14m!

Shocked a saddened.

I continue to end of season and given my rep was Sunday League Footballer i know the best i can hope for is Lge 2 or BSBP.

Up comes Leyton O, just relegated to Lge 2 and with an ok looking squad. I accept the challenge and move myself into Brisbane Road. Within 3 days there is news of a takeover and Barry Hearn is gone to be replaced by Matt Porter who tells me there will be no investment. My budget is set at £100k for transfers and £30k pw for wages which is already lower than wages at club, £37k. I let go 11 u-18 players and three first teamers and set about building a team capable of promotion.

I miss out on my top targets for three positions but fill those gaps and have a good pre season.

First game of season is away to Hereford and i get, what i feel, is a one off result, 4-1 win. That is followed up by a 3-0 victory over Championship side Portsmouth in the cup and the drae gives me West Ham, away. REVENGE is my first thought.

The league games between the cup went very well, 3-0 v Tranmere and Southend and 2-0 v Plymouth. Top of the table with 100% record and im loving things.

Off to Upton Park for what is my biggest game ever and half time quickly comes around, 1-0 up!! The second half is a different story and im battered black and blue, but somehow The Hammers only score once so off to extra time.

I bring on a stricker who has missed all of season so far injured and he has goal disallowed before, BANG, PENALTY, 104th minute. But the ball is skied high, rising still as it goes past the bar.

Relief all round as the penalty was to West Ham. Im thinking 'lets get to half time in extra time, then tactical changes' when the above mentioned forward strikes, 2-1 to the O's.

We hold on for a great win, thats 6 out of 6 for my new club, one over my new found enemy!

I know its early days and plenty of games to go but im loving it! Sacked - best thing ever!

The dream continues, won away at Prem side Bolton in next round of cup, 88th and then a 90th minute penalty before going down 3-1 in front of 41,000 at Liverpool. Will post a screenshot or two laters.

Sitting pretty in the league, 2nd after 16 games but its all very tight. Losing my top RB in January though so on the look out for replacements.

Just into January now and am 6 points clear of second and third, although third have two games in hand. 11 clear of fourth so looking good. Main problem is most of squad out of contract in July and want big bucks to stay so undecided if to cash in or risk them going on a free.

Nice to see Wimbledon are beating Franchise. Hope you give Winkelman's boys a couple of good thrashings. ;)

I have kept my side of bargain and beaten them twice, 2-0 and 2-1 with Wimbledon taking 4 points off them also.

But sadly MK Franchise have moved to 14th, with AFC in 16th, level on 43pts but worse GD. Still 12 games to go though.

Cool story.

I love how each game is completely different, but they always have those moments that can have you screaming for joy. Must have been well satisfying to beat West Ham, away as well!

I remember when I took over at Forest and we were still in the Championship, West Ham had me laughing my head off on their last week of the season.

They had been second all season, by this time I had already won the Championship but West Ham looked like a good bet for promotion, they needed two points from their last two matches to guarantee promotion.

So they draw their penultimate match, but Southampton won their match which means that West Ham still need a point in their final match. which looked pretty certain as QPR were on a terrible run of form. But they go behind early in the match, and despite being in total control they just can't seem to find the back of the net. But then in the 87th minute, Carlton Cole sends the West Ham supporters into raptures! Back to the premiership!

But of course Pablo Mouche spoils the party with a 90+3 minute winner. Southampton climbed above West Ham who for the first time in the entire season found themselves outside the top 2. But it was the end of the season, if the season had been one match shorter they would have been up. But at least they were still in the playoffs, and they'd also made the FA Cup final. It could still be a magical year for them despite the disappointment in the league.

I decided to attend the FA Cup final because the final day of the Championship made me burst out laughing. West Ham took the lead pretty early on, but Liverpool equalised just before half time. They then scored a winner in the 77th minute and strolled to victory in the final minutes.

So not the best week for West Ham. But they still had the playoffs, right?

They hammer Middlesborough 4-1 at home in the first leg and they look a safe bet for the final now. But then they lose the second leg 4-1 which takes it to extra time. No goals in extra time and it goes to penalties. Middlesborough miss their first three penalties, but so do West Ham. Middlesborough score their 4th, West Ham miss again. Middlesborough then score their fifth penalty which means that West Ham are out, having not scored a single penalty during the shoot out.

I can't tell you how much I laughed at this. I don't particularly hate West Ham, in fact I quite like them, but their then manager Sam Allardyce had been slagging me off all season. I was in absolute hysterics, it has to be the worst end to a season I've seen for any team. I think I would smashed my keyboard like that crazy kid on youtube if that happened to me!

5 seasons later and they still aren't in the Premiership. I think I've mentioned it, but I laughed so much.

I must say i have no bad feeling towards West Ham but now another season later and they fail to reach playoffs has made me chuckle somemore. The whole point for me is going from utter joy to being as low as a snakes belly then back again. Ok so im now at a club that gets around 5,000 every home game instead of 30,000 and i have a small budget to work with but i have a desire inside me to build up Leyton Orient to the day where the league table shows after 46 games we are better than West Ham.

That is the thing that is keeping me smiling despite a poor start to my new season, im not looking to take Orient to the Prem, to the Champions Lge and being the best in the world, i just wanna show that East End Mafia that they were wrong to sack me!! So i wont be looking to throw in the towel, no matter how bad it gets!

I read on here people moaning about this that the other, but its times like this where i cannot put my laptop down!!

Good question, my heart says stay and do what i aimed to do but i have just been approched by Preston. Although still League 1 they are sitting in 4th place as the manager left to take control of Middlesborough. They have had a takeover about a year ago and have no club debt, offered me wage budget that is bettered only by Ipswich and Huddersfield currently. They have offered me 2.2m to spend and while looking at the current squad i feel i would only need to buy one CB and one RM. The CB would clearly be one of my Orient players so would have best part of 2m to play around with!

Decisions to be made, but i feel i would regret leaving Orient...

Just thought i would update this a little. Well i stayed with Leyton O and when the January transfer window came along we were sitting nicely in 11th place, 12 points clear of relegation zone and only 5 shy of the playoff places. Looking at my squad i was fairly happy with what i had so was just looking to bring in a couple of loan players to see me through. With six days of the window left Leeds bid for my star forward who had hit 11 goals in 13 games this season with 7 assists also. The bid was £600,000 and my lovely chairman decides to accept the bid. GUTTED.

My chairman by now must be loving butting his huge nose in as yet again, just two days later he accepts a bid from Crystal P for my keeper, £350,000!

The following game i lose 2-0, with my 2nd goalkeeper at fault for one and the other coming from a penalty. My love for Leyton O drops as the supporters tell me they are upset with the defeat. WTF!!!

We then lose 6 of next ten, winning just two and i cant help but think that i cannot make the club grow as i wish under this chairman so i clear my desk and resign with a heavy heart.

Jobs come and go, but nothing really intersts me until 12th October when the Luton job appears. Yes a drop to BSBP but i like it, i apply, i get! I start with club 11 points from playoffs but in my mind a good squad and set about bringing good times to Kenilworth Road. A run of 28 wins 8 draws and 8 defeats in all competitions mena we clinch prmotion via playoffs with a 2-1 win over Mansfield. To my dismay the club set me the challenge of winning Lge 2 and give me a budget of £12,500 and a wage budget £1,000 less p/w than the previous season. In all fairness though i am very happy with my squad, i make 2 signings for a total of £7,000 and release two older players.

The season starts very well with wins of 4-2, 4-1 and 4-1 in my first four Lge 2 games. We then draw 1-1 and 2-2 followed by 1-0 home defeat to leaders Northampton before hitting back with another 4-1 win. Then comes away defeats to Bristol R and Tranmere before winning 3-0 at Gillingham.

The next game is a poor display away to Exeter which we are beaten 2-0 but hardly ventured past he half way line. As my screen clicks from the match to the news i see a flash of a different colour and bang, SACKED! 17 points from 12 games, 7th place, highest scorers in the league.......

Now the title to this thread is unaccurate. I am far from over the moon. A mangement record of:

played: 172

won: 84

drew: 37

lost: 51

scored: 279

conceded: 191

win %: 49

Managed three clubs, two have been promoted yet i have also been sacked twice!

Archived