Has FM ever inspired a career move...??

Just wondering if anyone has ever thought to themselves 'I could give this coaching / managing a real go' after immersing themselves in FM, and decided to take FA Licenced coaching badges / UEFA B or A?

I did look into it a little while ago due to dreadful career boredom. I was also doing goalkeeping training with a guy who was semi-pro with a non-league outfit, and a coach for Arsenal's youth team keepers, which was helping me no end with my performances for my own sunday league team. Having trained with a guy for a few months, I figured it was something I would immensely enjoy doing myself. Alas, illness struck, and I gave up the coaching and sunday league, but when my health returns Id always thought about giving the FA badges a shot.

Anyone else...??

Well there was that Middlesborough guy...................

I've looking into and considered doing my coaches badges before, not as a result of playing FM but more a general interest in all things football but work & family keep me too busy to seriously consider taking the plunge any time soon. Maybe one day th

Not FM, but the recession and losing jobs put my arse into gear to follow through with something I've always wanted to do. Glad I did. FA Level 2 (+ Youth Module Award), working with a community program of a Premiership club and this summer will be working with an MLS team. Currently in the 2nd year of my Applied Sports Science degree. Not bad for 18 months experience.

FM has really turned me on to football (soccer) here in the US. I grew up with very little interest in the game, playing and tracking baseball and American football, but after 3 1/2 years immersion with FM, I follow the sport very closely and, as a start, am now my 10 ten year old son's indoor soccer (futsal) coach. FM, without a doubt, has helped me understand the game tactically although I need assistance with its technical aspects. I would have never guessed that a computer simulation would be so gripping as to compel a person to take action against the ingrained national sports culture.

FM has really turned me on to football (soccer) here in the US. I grew up with very little interest in the game, playing and tracking baseball and American football, but after 3 1/2 years immersion with FM, I follow the sport very closely and, as a start, am now my 10 ten year old son's indoor soccer (futsal) coach. FM, without a doubt, has helped me understand the game tactically although I need assistance with its technical aspects. I would have never guessed that a computer simulation would be so gripping as to compel a person to take action against the ingrained national sports culture.

That is pretty cool! :)

robzilla.... who was the Middlesborough guy??

ChrisNUFC.... Sounds interesting! Would you have had enough time to dedicate to studying FA Level 2 if you hadnt have lost your job? (

Yeah, I think so with some time management/time off work.

I always wanted to get into coaching but never really knew how to go about it apart from doing the applied sports degree's, the whole badge process looked expensive and a little confusing as far as i remember.

On a related note i have a mate who did some basic college sports qualifications and he got a job at a kids soccer camp in America (cant remember where) for 2months. Two weeks after coming home he got a phonecall from the manager of the camp telling him he had left the camp to work for a college team, he offered my mate a job there with a 2 year visa and a flat all fully paid for!

Lucky b*****d eh!

Somewhat similar here, though the game that originally inspired me was FIFA Manager.

As a kid, I played soccer and was pretty good for my age, but I didn't care about the sport so quit to play baseball even though I was terrible at baseball. I didn't care about the professional game or the World Cup until much later. I definitely regret quitting, though, as I feel I could have at least been able to play in high school had I kept it up.

Anyway, in 2006 I don't know how it happened, but I started watching soccer and got FIFA Manager because I always liked managing sports teams in the sports games I had. It gave me more knowledge of and interest in the sport, and I slowly began following it more closely. My freshman year of college (2006-07), I took a part-time job coaching kids aged 5-7. I tried to return the next year but a lack of regular transportation meant that I couldn't. Like you, I learned much about tactics, but less about the technical aspects. However, I follow and blog about Athletic Bilbao religiously, and watching and having to analyze their games has increased my technical knowledge, though I still can't personally execute a lot of it.

I would love to coach in the future at any level, but I have a 6-year minimum obligation to the United States Navy to fulfill first...

NOTE: I switched from FIFAM to FM in the 09 versions- never got too used to that version, but have loved FM more than I ever did FIFAM.

quite a coincidence that after reading this thread today, I read one of the job news carefully in FM (just because I'm rumored to be the favorite) and there it is: "presumably once the Aston Villa board have got rid of the usual 'Football Manager' applications, they can proceed with the view of appointing someone with real-life experience" :lol: never noticed it before!

Archived