new idea for FM 2013

good addition or bad addition  

75 members have voted

1. 1. good addition or bad addition

this could either come as a seperate game mode or link into the orginal game mode basically the chance to manage the u18s and scout players for the club watching them grow and improve and potentially make there way into the first team the chance to work your way up from the u18s to manage the reserves or even the first team or to go from a first team managerial spot to a reserve or u18s managaerial position within the same club or a higher reputation club and try and work your way up in a higher reputation club. also if you make enough money in managerial positions the chance to buy out a club as a chairman and be able to hire managers invest money, build stadiums, bring various events to the stadium and hire staff like chief execs and various other positions

This gets mentioned every week.

In my opinion it's a dreadful idea. No doubt some people would love it.

Under 18s to reserves and first-team manager would take forever to acheive. Doesn't really happen in real life either. With a few exceptions of course.

Chairman role is too gimmicky, like Sims. Build stadiums? Plural? How many do you want? Hire chief execs? Why?

Let's just stick to Football Manager.

I think the idea of working your way up is good but in football there's not too many managers who start off managing reserve and u18 teams before going on to the first team. In terms of your second idea, the game wouldn't be Football Manager anymore, it'd be Football Chairman. I think SI's attitude is that they'd rather work on the current game, one that sells very well and is nominated for awards year after year, rather than add new things that would make it a completely different game.

I don't see anything wrong with this - an Under-18s manager is still a football manager, and it's just another career path, like managing the England Under-21s.

As for the chairman - chairman I am unsure about since a chairman doesn't actually do that much (chairmen tend to spend only part of their week working with the club - they spend other time on other boards, advisory roles or charity). Director of Football, however, would be a nifty addition for those who want to manage transfers but not necessarily games.

What next 'Football car park Manager?' You get to manage the allocation of spaces on match day. Imagine the thrill when a coach of supporters turns up late with only ten minutes before kick off and the car park is full. How will you allocate them a space?

Then of course you could have 'Trainee Football car park Manager', the commercial possibilities are endless.

just some suggestions i like the u18s one the most because i think being able to scout players from when there children and watching them grow into the first team would be a good addition i have been playing fifa 12 resonantly and just find myself siming the matches not caring about the first team just wanted my youth squad to develop and bring through a future star like i said these additions don't have to go with the original game mode it could be a separate one were you start from the bottom and can work your way up therefore not affecting the game itself just adding another challenge to the game

I don't personally think it is a good idea but I don't agree with just bashing people for making a suggestion. For new great features to be added to the game people need to put across their ideas, people are going to be put off expressing their ideas if guys on this forum just immediately start making digs at them.

Considering the development, research and programming time it would consume and the number of people who would buy it, or play it. I don't see how it would be a worthwhile or sensible use of time or resources.
Let SI worry about how they dedicate resources - you never know, they might have already started developing something similar and this might be an easy extension to consider.

All us customers need to do is give them good ideas. So critique the idea, not the unknown amount of effort required for the unknown amount of SI employees to spend on this feature.

being able to scout players from when there children

Not allowed "real" players under 16 years-old in the game.

start from the bottom and can work your way up

There are better ways to start from the bottom - try the Evo-Stik/Zamaretto regional divisions.

who would have thought they would have been able to make the tone addition that's something i thought would have taken a while to create but they've done that im just putting across what i think would be a good addition obviously its not something that people would want on the game so si games probably wont introduce it but the point of a suggestion is to get feedback on whether the people like or dislike it if there wasn't any suggestions the game would stay the same

No thanks. If you want to manage the U18s and reserves just pick the option to from your Manager Options. Don't want to manage the first team so much? Set the tactics up, assign Ass Man to do everything with them and holiday their games.
But that's a lot of fiddling-around. An Under-18s manager would realistically have very different objectives - his objectives are to ensure the development of the youngsters is solid. An Under-18s manager is expected to have his best players nicked by his "parent" team(s) but needs to be able to adapt. An Under-18s manager might take a more in-depth level of control and analysis over trialists and youth loanees and might even be able to arrange such transfers independent of the first-team's manager. An Under-18s manager might take certain objectives from their "parent" manager(s) (i.e. the first-team manager wants youngsters to not rely on their pace so much, so your job is to focus on getting the best out of possibly more technical but slower wingers as the parent manager won't pick Theo Walcott Mk. II without any good reason). A good Under-18s manager might be asked to take control of a club who has a very promising academy and wants to bring them through to create the next generation. And so on.

It is almost like having a parent club who isn't actually competing against you.

It might be even better as results matter less at youth and reserves level - it's about development. So you might be required to have additional detailed control in order to succeed, which might benefit those who like micromanagement.

why would you use real players when your 20 seasons in most of them players aren't real

That's the first I've read about anything being 20 seasons in.

I'm very aware of how the game works, being in 2047 currently. I'm not sure how comfortable I'd be with scouting of "children". You can't judge stuff like that. They haven't grown yet, and stats would be very poor compared to adults.

I like the idea.. Its been suggested a million times and generally people dont like it.. But I'm hoping SI someday will open up for U18 management! - as x42bn6 (weird name :D) says: its a whole different objective and therefore not necessarily a stepping stone to further your career. Some might actually like to just develop players.. I know I would

I like the idea.. Its been suggested a million times and generally people dont like it.. But I'm hoping SI someday will open up for U18 management! - as x42bn6 (weird name :D) says: its a whole different objective and therefore not necessarily a stepping stone to further your career. Some might actually like to just develop players.. I know I would

But Under 18s "managers" just train the players - you're only a coach.

The first-team manager will buy them.

i havent pitched this the best i could and its definatly not the best idea in the world but its a suggestion take away all the rubbish like the chairman idea and focus mainly on the youth idea because i think that's what my main idea was yes you can manage the u18s on fm now but its not the same as managing the first team i think inhance the features were you can manage the u18s or the reserves and make it more realistic for how you would manage them in a football club the manager wouldnt just turn around and say im going on holiday for the first team matches i want to manage the u18s matches but if you were assigned to that role it would make it more realistic and inhance the features so you can go out and scout youngsters at local clubs and bring through various talent to progress to the first team

i havent pitched this the best i could and its definatly not the best idea in the world but its a suggestion take away all the rubbish like the chairman idea and focus mainly on the youth idea because i think that's what my main idea was yes you can manage the u18s on fm now but its not the same as managing the first team i think inhance the features were you can manage the u18s or the reserves and make it more realistic for how you would manage them in a football club the manager wouldnt just turn around and say im going on holiday for the first team matches i want to manage the u18s matches but if you were assigned to that role it would make it more realistic and inhance the features so you can go out and scout youngsters at local clubs and bring through various talent to progress to the first team

Managers buy the players.

Scouts do the scouting.

Under 18s "managers" are merely coaches. So all you would generally do is set the training schedules and watch the games.

The biggest problem with the idea is it would be so limited because of child employment laws, the youngest you would ever get a youth player in Europe in FM would be 16, you would only have them for 3 seasons before they were too old for your team, it would just be a bit pointless really. I could def see the benefits if the laws were different and younger kids could be included but at the moment it would just be a bit of a waste really.

since when do they just coach they scout players find new talent with fm at the moment you just get given players fr your youth you have no say on who they are if you were the u18s manager you could be the one who brings them players through and sieve through all the rubbish that you get in and just end up leaving on a bosman after 2 years

you cant scout players at local juvenile club level in FM because of child employment laws, thats the biggest sticking point with your idea really.

The biggest problem with the idea is it would be so limited because of child employment laws, the youngest you would ever get a youth player in Europe in FM would be 16, you would only have them for 3 seasons before they were too old for your team, it would just be a bit pointless really. I could def see the benefits if the laws were different and younger kids could be included but at the moment it would just be a bit of a waste really.

not to try and make fm like fifa because fm's manager mode is a million times the manager mode of fifa but on fifa 12 the scouting age goes down to 14 so im sure you could scout players younger you just wouldnt be able to offer them a contract you would just ask them to play for your team and theyd be free to leave whenever if a bigger club came in for them which would be frustrating but once they get to 16 and you offer them a contract then they cant be poached and im sure on fm you can offer youth contracts to players under 16 so you still get compensation if they are taken by another club

not to try and make fm like fifa because fm's manager mode is a million times the manager mode of fifa but on fifa 12 the scouting age goes down to 14 so im sure you could scout players younger you just wouldnt be able to offer them a contract you would just ask them to play for your team and theyd be free to leave whenever if a bigger club came in for them which would be frustrating but once they get to 16 and you offer them a contract then they cant be poached and im sure on fm you can offer youth contracts to players under 16 so you still get compensation if they are taken by another club

Im guessing employment laws in Germany must be a bit different then, over here they cannot use any player under the age of 16 in the game.

It's not just coaches, though. The academy staff as a whole do more than that.

The head of an academy, for example, is responsible for the overall strategy of the academy. Trialists and youth loans might fall directly under the academy head in some teams, so they might sign trialists and loanees without the first-team manager's input. They are responsible for the matches and training of the youth players and are focussed in bringing players though. Occasionally the first-team manager will sign a wonderkid for you to develop - great. You get a wonderkid to mash a hat-trick past the opposition every game, but you should not neglect the rest of the squad.

At the start of the season, you might see you have no left-back and might request to your first-team manager that a youth left-back signing would be a good idea to keep the squad balanced. He might say no and you might have to retain a player there. A challenge perhaps.

I also see youth management as a useful tutorial where results don't actually matter (they don't at that level) but it gives you a smooth introduction to the game and is deliberately meticulous with regards to other features.

im sure i have had players under the age of 16 on fm before because you cant offer them a full contract until there 16, plus they'd be fake players so surely it wouldn't matter im sure theyd be an age restriction but i think it would be under 16 im not sure though

im sure i have had players under the age of 16 on fm before because you cant offer them a full contract until there 16, plus they'd be fake players so surely it wouldn't matter im sure theyd be an age restriction but i think it would be under 16 im not sure though

you do, but only very specific countries that allow it.

I think I'd rather SI keep on what they're doing and continue to develop the game as it currently is without trying to add in some more elements that seem to me frankly to be a huge waste of time. No doubt some would enjoy it but I think the majority of gamers wouldn't.

i didnt vote because the youth team idea sounds ok to me but the chairman bit swung me away from agreeing. if i got asked a few months ago about the youth team idea i would of gave a 100% no but with clubs now picking who gets a youth contract and with us having more chance of getting good regens, i think the idea is a lot more viable. you still get to manage when the team has games and of course its a pressure off situation. if you dont do very well then you wont get a chance to get a proper job. as for the chairman bit just no thanks, there would be very little for the user to do and with the boredom of watching an ai manager lose a couple of matches we would make milan mandaric look like a patient bloke.

Let SI worry about how they dedicate resources - you never know, they might have already started developing something similar and this might be an easy extension to consider.

All us customers need to do is give them good ideas. So critique the idea, not the unknown amount of effort required for the unknown amount of SI employees to spend on this feature.

It's not commercially viable or worthwhile, because it would only appeal to a very small audience, it's that simple. Maybe SI has started to develop such a game, or developed this more within FM, but if they have then their business sense is extremely poor. If they really think this is commercially worthwhile and will significantly improve their product then I think Football Car park Manager is probably also worth developing. :)

It's not commercially viable or worthwhile, because it would only appeal to a very small audience, it's that simple.

The idea pops up on this forum fairly frequently... It's a larger audience than you think.

Maybe SI has started to develop such a game, or developed this more within FM, but if they have then their business sense is extremely poor.

Why? Do you have intimate knowledge of SI's sales, its breakdown, its internal strategy and long-term vision and market metrics?

44% of statistics are made up. Just because you don't think it's worthwhile doesn't mean that SI don't.

If they really think this is commercially worthwhile and will significantly improve their product then I think Football Car park Manager is probably also worth developing. :)

I don't know where you pull your logic from, because Under-18s manager and chairman are very different roles to car park manager.

The idea pops up on this forum fairly frequently... It's a larger audience than you think.

Why? Do you have intimate knowledge of SI's sales, its breakdown, its internal strategy and long-term vision and market metrics?

44% of statistics are made up. Just because you don't think it's worthwhile doesn't mean that SI don't.

I don't know where you pull your logic from, because Under-18s manager and chairman are very different roles to car park manager.

You really don't have a sense of humour do you?

Ok, well now the cat's out of the bag about this idea, if SI think it's worth pursuing, I would imagine we'll see it in FM very soon, or indeed sold as a separate game by SI or, another developer. However, I'd be willing to bet it doesn't happen, because the demand simply isn't there. If you think otherwise then good for you, I'd suggest you get in touch with the OP and work on developing it.

You really don't have a sense of humour do you?

Ok, well now the cat's out of the bag about this idea, if SI think it's worth pursuing, I would imagine we'll see it in FM very soon, or indeed sold as a separate game by SI or, another developer. However, I'd be willing to bet it doesn't happen, because the demand simply isn't there. If you think otherwise then good for you, I'd suggest you get in touch with the OP and work on developing it.

I'm sure SI have lots of ideas but as is the case for all companies, lack manpower to deliver everything they'd like to deliver. So we might not see it soon.

I think there's demand for varying managerial roles and additional control over clubs, and role-based jobs where you get different responsibilities. These ideas get posted all the time.

As for developing it, I'm not going to develop it. I don't work for SI.

• 2 weeks later...

you chris farley'd it. black sheep.

it was okay through u18's, reserve manager, build your way up... then you screamed KILL WHITEY!!!! by talking about becoming chairman, building stadiums, etc. this is football manager. once you stop managing football, it is no longer football manager.

Archived