Last day of the season thread

Anyone had any dramatic last day moments.

Sadly I haven't had a good one myself in a while, but this AI one really got my attention.

It was the last day of the season Honvéd v MTK. They needed a draw to at the very minimum send it to a relegation playoff (if two or more teams are level on points with one in a relegation spot they have a playoff to decide who goes down). The other teams in trouble were Paks who needed a win over Ujpest and Papa who needed at least a draw against Gyor. Comparisons for simplicity would be that Ujpest is sort of like a Liverpool whilst Gyor is a Tottenham type in terms of the style and quality of the sides in the league these days (2024). My Honvéd side were considered as one of the best sides in the world. Papa have been in the top flight for all but 2 seasons so far in the game whilst Paks have only been outside the top flight for 1. MTK have spent 4 outside the top flight but had made the Europa League Group stages only 4 years ago.

Within 30 seconds my Honvéd side had already scored against MTK. Elsewhere Papa went 2-0 down within the first 30 minutes. By have time it was 5-1 for my Honvéd side and MTK looked down and out. During the second half it got no better and they ended up 7-1 down with 30 minutes to play. In case things couldn't get much worse Paks had scored to get out of the dropzone and Papa had staged a comeback for the ages getting 3 goals in 20 minutes to get themselves out and away from the dropzone. With 10 minutes to play the only hope for MTK was that Paks conceded to Ujpest. The fulltime whistle went at the Sonic Arena (my home stadium's name) and it appeared that MTK were down, and I had a feeling of guilt that I'd sent them there. Checking the post game screen though...

Paks had conceded in the 94th minute, and a strange goal at that. They'd been on the attack, and had actually hit the crossbar almost a minute after injury time should have ended. To make matters worse the ball ended up going to an Ujpest player who ran at pace down the pitch. He got one of one with the keeper before a last ditch challenge took the ball away, but only to the feet of an Ujpest midfielder who slotted home a calm finish to send Paks down. MTK certainly got lucky this time!

Anyone had any dramatic last day moments?

After surviving the first season in the Championship with Crewe after back to back promotions I was heading for another slightly better mid table finish but suddenly my team started to play really well and on the last day of the season we were 2 points off the play-off's. Fulham were on a slide down the league after looking certain for a play-off place. Last day of the season we were at home against Watford and Fulham were at home against Reading who needed a win to ensure they stayed in the league.

crewefix.th.jpg

After not winning in four league matches we went on to win six in a row.

fulhamres.th.jpg

Fulham however lost their last six games. The last day was tense as I saw Reading had put 4 past Fulham and we were at 0-0 until the 90th minute when our star striker went through on goal and scored to send us into the play-off's. We had never beat Peterboro in my time at Crewe but somehow we managed to beat them easily. Then came Southampton a team in the final we took the lead and then they drew level but we managed a penalties win.

League Table

So this meant that we get to play in the EPL next season. This sort of thing is why I love FM if it was the other way round I would hate it. It has however left me wondering what the hell happened to Fulham?

i lost the league in the final 6 game split (in the SPL) to hearts a few seasons back, was 8 points clear as well going into the last 6 games but i drew 2 and lost 4 whilst Hearts won all 6 including their game against me. I would love to say injuries played their part but it was my fault i thought the league was over tried to rest players and rush through the games, after 3 i gave it more attention but it was too late moral had dropped and i lost a couple of key players. Last time i have done that!!!

Does it count if you end up bottling it?

Last day of the season of my previous save on Albion Rovers, i'm playing Annan at home on the last fixture (the 2nd placed) and i have a one point lead.. all i need is a draw to be Champion and get promotion and i end up losing 0-1.. I still managed to get promoted on play-offs though!

TheTitleWinner.png

Has to be THE favourite moment of my Granada CF save so far.

We needed a draw away at Barcelona, last match of the season, to clinch the title.

My side was hammered all game. Barça hit the woodwork several times and my keeper played the game of his life. Still, we went 1-0 down mid-way through the second half. Mahamadou Diarra saw red for a cynical challenge on the edge of our box, then Xavi promptly fired the resulting free kick into the top corner. Hope started to slip away.

Late in the second-half, backs to the wall and hoping for a lucky break, it came. Scrappy cross into the edge of the box, Messi miscontroled under pressure from my 6'8'' Turkish regen Onur Akin (or "The Battering Ram" as I like to call him...), the ball ricochet to Luis Jiménez, who with space and time, fired it home.

I think the image of the Barcelona fans and players, hands on their heads, whilst my players wheel away in jubilation, says it all really. :)

Four teams finished the Premier league season on 80 points on my save one season. League was won on goal difference by Man Utd.

englishpremierdivisioniv.png

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Looks like relegation went down to the wire too

One that springs most to my mind was back on CM, right before the split in the early/mid 00's. It was the 2nd season of a hot seat save with a friend. His Betis were in 2nd place, my Zaragoza in 4th. Last day of the season, I had to beat 2nd place Barcelona and he had to beat Sevilla for him to win the league. I also needed a win to ensure 4th place. I won my weekend game, his game was on the Monday for some reason, which he won comfortably in the end if I remember correctly. That summer he had sold Joaquin to Real for 70 million, which bankrolled his championship winning side (including Rooney). We never went back to the save after that, don't know why.

Let me set the scene.

It's May 2021. I'm in charge of Boreham Wood, and have been since the start of the game. In as many seasons as I've been at the club, I've only managed to get them promoted once - from the BSS to the BSP. I have however, managed to take them from being in debt to having well over £1mil in the bank - not so easy with attendances of about 400!

I've lost in two BSP play-off finals. My next game is a third final, this time against Tranmere, who finished in 2nd, compared to my 3rd place. I'll let you know how it goes...

I lost. Again.

I was 2-0 up within 24 minutes, and seemed to be cruising to a win. Then, two Tranmere goals on the 30th and 36th minutes drew them level. Just after half time, an own goal from Tranmere put me 3-2 ahead, but they equalised five minutes after.

Extra time came and went with nothing of note occurring other than a Tranmere red card after 116 minutes.

With penalties, I scored my first whereas they missed theirs. We both scored out second and third but missed our fourth, putting me 3-2 up after four. They then scored their fifth, but I missed, putting us level at 3-3. In sudden-death, I missed my penalty, but they got theirs, taking away a 4-3 penalty win and promotion to League Two.

Ah well. I like the BSP anyway.

Let me set the scene.

It's May 2021. I'm in charge of Boreham Wood, and have been since the start of the game. In as many seasons as I've been at the club, I've only managed to get them promoted once - from the BSS to the BSP. I have however, managed to take them from being in debt to having well over £1mil in the bank - not so easy with attendances of about 400!

I've lost in two BSP play-off finals. My next game is a third final, this time against Tranmere, who finished in 2nd, compared to my 3rd place. I'll let you know how it goes...

That's dedication, I would've given up after 5 seasons and no promotion.

Just a quick précis of the end of last season in my Hereford save.

We are 5 points clear of Hull at the top of League One and we're both promoted with two games to play. The first is away at Hull, a draw gives us the title... I build up to it as I would normally, play down the chances a bit (not too much) suggesting a draw as much as one can... we got spanked.. 4-1. Gutted wasn't the word, I can tell you, but I didn't PM it, I just wrote it off and focused on the last match.

That was at home to 6th place Carlisle who were level on points with 5th, 7th and 8th, 2 points ahead of 9th and 3pts ahead of 10th. Obviously they would be wanting the points for their play-off aspirations where we now needed to win to win the title, a point would put us level with Hull should they win and they had a better GD already meaning we would finish 2nd. My build-up was confident, as one would expect, but inside I was nervous wondering if I was destined to miss out on the title. I picked my team and tactics and went to the match, at the last minute I changed my team-talk to "no pressure" and sent them out (I'd planned all sorts of elaborate team-talk combinations to try and win...).

We mauled 'em... :D

FM10, playing as Greenock Morton. After one season in the First Division, then 5 seasons in the SPL (2 runners up spot and a Scottish Cup) I eventually (and for the first time ever as Morton, my local team) won the domestic treble...coupled with a clean sweep of the annual awards this still ranks as my favourite FM achievement.

Anyway, about 15 games into the following season I left to take the AC Milan job and Craig Levein took my post...he then won the League Cup, and the Scottish Cup. Top of the league on the last day of the season they lost a 93rd minute equaliser at home to Hearts which allowed Celtic to sneak the league on goal difference. It was a counter-attack as well...they were seconds away from back-to-back trebles which I doubt has ever been achived before, even in Scotland. Gutted for them...so I signed their wonder kid youngster for 10m to soften the blow!

I have had 1 on fm11. It was with FC Santa Claus of Finland, i ended up conquoring Europe with them but the moment came many years earlier.

I was top by 2 points going into the final day, but 2nd had a much better F/A. FC inter (2nd) won comfortably meaning i needed a win to secure my first ever league title. I was away to bottom of the league and already relegated. After 25 minutes i was 2-0 up and looked home, i was playing them off the park. Then on the stroke of half time they pulled one back, 2-1.

Mid way through the 2nd half a mix up brought the equaliser, it was now 2-2 and the live table had me 2nd on F/A. Time ticked on, nothing, they were parking the bus and I couldnt break them down. 3 minutes added on....1.....2......3.....4.....in the 95th minute my young winger whipped in an enchanting cross and my big centre half scored his first goal in 316 appearances, FC Santa Claus clinched the title with what was literally the last kick of the season, Get In!!

Archived