Who here plays FM true to life?

Real world manager or fantasy manager?  

45 members have voted

1. 1. Real world manager or fantasy manager?

It kind of defeats the purpose of the game if you're doing something that you'd have to do in real life anyway. I mean, I've got my coaches certificate and I've coached local teams, I want to dream big, not start at the bottom as I am now.

I put true to life as I do try and stick to how I would go about things if I was a real manager. I start with a Sunday League rep, move clubs when I would take the offer in real life ect.

However there are instances when I will manipulate the game to my advantage. The otions I choose in a press conference for example. If I have lost a game I would be tempted to rip into people (refs, players ect.) in real life, but I know that in the game you have to try and keep morale as high as possible so I usually just give the answers I think would help keep the players spirits up!

You need a half and half option in the poll I reckon!!

I put true to life as I do try and stick to how I would go about things if I was a real manager. I start with a Sunday League rep, move clubs when I would take the offer in real life ect.

However there are instances when I will manipulate the game to my advantage. The otions I choose in a press conference for example. If I have lost a game I would be tempted to rip into people (refs, players ect.) in real life, but I know that in the game you have to try and keep morale as high as possible so I usually just give the answers I think would help keep the players spirits up!

You need a half and half option in the poll I reckon!!

I,m sure most real life football managers feel that way to. So IMO you are doing what the game is intended to be. You are not manipulating you are managing.:)

I play FM as true to life I guess? I don't reload, heck I don' even quit the game - it's running permanently. I save after every 15 matches played which can take several days or weeks depending on how busy I am in real-life / how much time I have to actually play FM and only end the program to install Windows/AV/FM updates (or similar) of if I have a reason to turn the computer off (not often).

I immerse myself totally in the game when I am playing, being involved in virtually every little detail of the game. The only things that I really allow my Assistant/Coaches to do is manage the Youth/Reserve teams and organise friendlies, everything else I 'control' as much as possible.

I try and be realistic, when it's practical to do so. Particularly, I never game the system by doing things that advantage me but would be ridiculous in real life (e.g. manager bidding his own wage down so he can have more highly paid players). I also show a degree of passion in press conferences, and loyalty to my own players. For example, if a veteran first-team player isn't good enough for the first team, but doesn't want to leave the club, unless his wage demands are ridiculous I'll keep him on until his retirement date, rotate him in on low-priority games, and if I can afford it, give him a send-off in the final game of the league.

Whether 'realistic' is the right term or not, I don't really know. It's more about 'immersion'. I make decisions from the point of view of my manager character in the game, and not as me the player sitting at the keyboard. My manager takes on some aspects of my own character and personality of course.

kind of. I start sunday rep, right at the bottom, but sometimes dont take jobs I probably would take irl because I want to stick to the same club. But I reckon that happens irl too.

I,m sure most real life football managers feel that way to. So IMO you are doing what the game is intended to be. You are not manipulating you are managing.:)

You know what kerching, your right, I should give myself more credit :)

Archived