Too easy with rich chairman

The game's too easy since the club got a rich chairman who seems to have bottomless pockets.

We have bought the best players for silly prices, £100 million for players, paid over the top prices of course but it now means we win virtually everything.

We were originally a division 2 team, now we just run away with the prem league and cups because the chairman gives us bucket loads of cash for transfers and bails the club out when we hit around 60 million in the red, putting the club 45 million in the black, lost count the number of times he's done that.

Yeah at first it was fun, new stadium, best players, no regard for finances, but now it's just not fun. I enjoyed the struggle before, I enjoyed fighting for a Euro spot, now I have to do virtually nothing in the match, just leave it on standard for 95% of games and we win.

I wish Si would introduce an option whereby the manager isn't in charge of bringing in new players, I have looked at other possible ways to make it more challenging, eg players only via the youth academy and no buying of any players. I'm sure there's lots of ways to approach the game but my first choice would be someone else buying the players and that's just not possible right now:(

You could start planning for the future and signing young players on low wages. There is a chance at some point that the mega rich chairman will pull his funding and with a wage budget of over £3.5 million you would go into serious debt.

Always had a few youth for the future, the good ones(youth) are on lowish wages as well. I'd actually want him to pull funding, it would mean a challenge once more. But he may not pull funding, he may stay for years, and the thought of winning everything for years put's me off playing the game, don't really want to leave the club either.

Maybe I'll try the MLS if that has a wage cap.

My suggestion would be if the club you're at isn't providing you with an interesting challenge right now, maybe apply for a job elsewhere?

This

Or try managing a team so that your goal isn;t only winning, but maximizing profits.

I decided to try out OM in the french league and i was able to acheive over 50M profits for the club. They payed out 26m pounds dividends to their shareholds (siome happy shareholders!!!) and i was still left with a profit of 32 million, by the time next season rolled around, I had 72m in the bank with the new tv revenues. Was pretty proud :p

When I had a tycoon take me over at Valencia on FM'10, I got bored really quickly with buying established players at way over the cost and instead shifted my focus to buying youth; I set the calendar up to announce when new regens were made, and then went and had a scout compile reports on every new regen that was created; most regens that were 2.5 stars or more, and that I could bring to the club cheaply (i.e., not on ridiculous wages or on inflated transfer fees) got signed (since my budget was huge, I could pretty much do whatever I wanted).

Then I'd nurture them along for a few years, loaning them out to clubs where they'd get solid playing time (via a network of good feeder clubs, which was vital). That game was really fun, because I was tracking all of the best and brightest kids out there and trying to best figure out how to maximize their development; plus, since I wasn't spending much of my budget, when the tycoon stepped into a backroom role where he wouldn't continue to give me wild budgets, I had a solid team and could reinvest the money I made selling off one or two prospects that weren't good enough into the entire scheme again; selling two players who couldn't cut it for 10 million apiece pretty much funded the whole operation.

That was a lot of fun.

My suggestion would be if the club you're at isn't providing you with an interesting challenge right now, maybe apply for a job elsewhere?

Spent too many seasons at the club to leave now, in season 2041 now, so 31 seasons.

This

Or try managing a team so that your goal isn;t only winning, but maximizing profits.

I decided to try out OM in the french league and i was able to acheive over 50M profits for the club. They payed out 26m pounds dividends to their shareholds (siome happy shareholders!!!) and i was still left with a profit of 32 million, by the time next season rolled around, I had 72m in the bank with the new tv revenues. Was pretty proud :p

That's another approach I guess, but that wouldn't really appeal to me, that's not to say I wouldn't want to make a profit of say 5 million, but if I had 50m to spend or in the coffers I'd want to spend it.

If you were that desperate to get rid of him you could down load FMRTE and edit him to not be a sugar daddy any more. I guess that depends on how you view the use of real time editors.

Desperate, but not so desperate to cheat. As I'm around 73 years old in game, I suppose my character retires from the game shortly, that's at least one way to see the last of him, ha!

Half way and virtually over already...

premchest.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Desperate, but not so desperate to cheat. As I'm around 73 years old in game, I suppose my character retires from the game shortly, that's at least one way to see the last of him, ha!

unfortunately he doesnt retire!

he hits 100 and then stops ageing and the game continues!

You could just impose your own limits.

Decide not to buy any players aged over 17 for the next 10 seasons, force yourself to have at least 5 players from your own youth system in your squad for every match day, that kind of thing.

Just because you're given the money doesn't mean you've got to spend it all.

Half way and virtually over already...

premchest.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

What is quite surprising is that although you have been there 31 years the Premiership is full of present Premiership & Championship teams, with the exception of Sheffield Wed & Bradford, both of whom you could argue are relatively big sides who have played in the Premiership. Obviously I didn't count Chesterfield. You would have thought a few surprises would be there like in real life.

What is quite surprising is that although you have been there 31 years the Premiership is full of present Premiership & Championship teams, with the exception of Sheffield Wed & Bradford, both of whom you could argue are relatively big sides who have played in the Premiership. Obviously I didn't count Chesterfield. You would have thought a few surprises would be there like in real life.

Without going OT too much, I've actually found that to happen quite often in my FM games (on this incarnation at least). There's very little movement between divisions over the long term. Not quite sure why that would be, but either way it's a story for another thread.

how do you get a rich chairman? if you deliberately make your club go bankrupt by buying players for a huge amount with the 40+month installments if your club goes on debt then do you get takeovers?

could try it, but any chairman with £1 in the bank in the blue squares north/south is a rich chairman :D

You could just impose your own limits.

Decide not to buy any players aged over 17 for the next 10 seasons, force yourself to have at least 5 players from your own youth system in your squad for every match day, that kind of thing.

Just because you're given the money doesn't mean you've got to spend it all.

This. I got bored pretty quickly after turning Lille into the dominant force in France and was winning the league & cup every year etc. Once I'd won the CL and the Super Cup, that was it so I set myself a challenge. I sold/released every single player at the club who was not either HG for CLUB (not nation) or in line to be HG for club and restricted myself to signing only under 18 players from then on.

We struggled for a year or two but it wasn't too hard because by this stage I had a good group of youth players who were almost ready to make the step up. When I won the Champs League with a team of entirely HG players, it felt like a real acheivement. I had watched these lads come through the youth team, the reserve team and then into the first team. Every one of them had both the club and me on their preferred list, and most of them had at least 2-3 of their teammates on the list too. I HAD to leave after that, I had acheived (what I think to be) the ultimate challenge for a given club.

I set the calendar up to announce when new regens were made, and then went and had a scout compile reports on every new regen that was created; most regens that were 2.5 stars or more, and that I could bring to the club cheaply (i.e., not on ridiculous wages or on inflated transfer fees) got signed (since my budget was huge, I could pretty much do whatever I wanted).

Can you actually do this? :)

Peterboro nearly got promoted to prem after 3rd season in mine (start in l1) but after their good season have had players poached so not sure if they'll get close again.

You could start planning for the future and signing young players on low wages. There is a chance at some point that the mega rich chairman will pull his funding and with a wage budget of over £3.5 million you would go into serious debt.

This has happened to me when I was playing as Kapfenberg. Luckily I always regard finances as one of the most important things and always keep the club in the black so it did not affect me too much.

Newcastle have never got back to the premiership since season 2013/14, they've been as low as division 2, dont know what's up with them, should be doing better. Liverpool are pretty poor aswell, decent first couple of seasons but after that pretty rubbish hanging around mid table. Burnley had a rich Kuwati chariman join them, they're always up there now.

It's very hard for the promoted teams to stay in the prem, usually 2 of the 3 go straight back down, and the 3rd team usually drops the following season, lots of yoyo clubs. Unless they get rich chairman, they just end up being cannon fodder each time they come up.

Archived