19.3 Percent of FM players have NEVER won a game.

To clarify:

Everyone who purchases Football Manager has the option to install FM through Steam. Using Steam has a few advantages such as no need for the DVD to be in the drive to play it.

One of the new features of Football Manager is that if you install through Steam certain achiements are recorded. You can also compare your achievements with your Steam friends achievements. You can also view the GLOBAL achievements. This is the achievements of everyone in the world who play the game through Steam... :cool:

HOWEVER there must be a potentual bug as according to Steam only 80.7% of those Global players have ever won a competitive game.

I am posting this thread here as it is only a potentual bug...

Will be intested in other members experiences of the steam Achievement feature...

I have been thinking about the problems with Achievement stats .. and have read through loads of data on this site..

It seems like if you gain more than ONE achievement at once it only records one of the achievements.

HOWEVER I have a theory on the GLOBAL stats potential bug.... and hope that SI take the time to reply to my theory...

THEORY: I think that when someone creates a new game but for some reason or another doesnt start playing the game STEAM records both games. Thus STEAM records that the first game that was created has never got any achievements. To clarify even further IF I was the only person in the world playing FM on Steam and installed Steam but thought "Bugger I forgot to take masking off" so created another game and played that for say 10 seasons ... STEAM would record that only 50% of Global players had won a competitive game ..

I have been thinking about the problems with Achievement stats .. and have read through loads of data on this site..

It seems like if you gain more than ONE achievement at once it only records one of the achievements.

HOWEVER I have a theory on the GLOBAL stats potential bug.... and hope that SI take the time to reply to my theory...

THEORY: I think that when someone creates a new game but for some reason or another doesnt start playing the game STEAM records both games. Thus STEAM records that the first game that was created has never got any achievements. To clarify even further IF I was the only person in the world playing FM on Steam and installed Steam but thought "Bugger I forgot to take masking off" so created another game and played that for say 10 seasons ... STEAM would record that only 50% of Global players had won a competitive game ..

I can squash your theory straight away.

I'm in my third save and it still picks up achievements.

I can squash your theory straight away.

I'm in my third save and it still picks up achievements.

No but his theory is that each new game is actually registered as a new game on Steam. No if that is true I have contributed more than one person to the 19.3% as I've started a few games only to give up an hour in.

No but his theory is that each new game is actually registered as a new game on Steam. No if that is true I have contributed more than one person to the 19.3% as I've started a few games only to give up an hour in.

Yes, my mistake but I don't think that will be the case as the achievements are linked to your user profile.

So 19.3% of FM/Steam users haven't gained that achievement.

I always play off line. I hated steam from the moment SI started using them and won't share my data with them. Besides it eats up my background processes and I really don't like that. So as far as steam is concerned, *I've* never won a game.

You could have just installed it without using steam. And with me it uses 27mb memory, so "eating background processes" is a bit of an overstatement, isn't it?

You could have just installed it without using steam. And with me it uses 27mb memory, so "eating background processes" is a bit of an overstatement, isn't it?

It is when your already doing other things in the background, i.e. work or listening to music and Steam is taking up necessary resources.

It is when your already doing other things in the background, i.e. work or listening to music and Steam is taking up necessary resources.

I get it, still 27mb is bare anything.

By example:

- FM is using 720 mb atm

- opera is using 370 mb

- svchost is using 108 mb

- winamp is using 70 mb

- msn is using 30mb

What is 27mb more? (sure if you have less ram it is something, but then you don't need to do all these things at the same time, right?)

And again, you don't NEED to use steam.

Off course:

Minimum:

Processor: Supported processers include Intel Pentium 4, Intel Core, and AMD Athlon. 1.4 GHz or faster required when running Windows XP, 2.0 GHz or faster required when running Windows Vista or 7

Memory: 512 MB RAM when running Windows XP, 1.0 GB RAM when running Windows Vista

Graphics: 128 MB video card with the following supported chipsets: Nvidia FX 5900 Ultra or greater; ATI Radeon 9800 or greater; Intel 82915G/82910GL or greater. Earlier cards may only display 2D Match Viewer Mode and are not supported. Laptop versions of these chipsets may work but are not supported.

DirectX: Version 9.0c (included)

Hard Drive: 2 GB free space

LAN: TCP/IP compliant

Input: Keyboard, mouse

If you haven't got more than this, you can't expect to run much other than FM at the same time.

I hate STEAM. It had always lagged when I have tried to use it, installation took over 20 times the length of the normal installation (was about 50% installed after half an hour, it took three minutes to install from the disk), the editor is hidden away, and it generally seems unnecessary. I also don't really like having the disk in, but I don't have a choice. I really hope SI choose a better DRM system than STEAM for FM11.

I hate STEAM. It had always lagged when I have tried to use it, installation took over 20 times the length of the normal installation (was about 50% installed after half an hour, it took three minutes to install from the disk), the editor is hidden away, and it generally seems unnecessary. I also don't really like having the disk in, but I don't have a choice. I really hope SI choose a better DRM system than STEAM for FM11.

Sadly, I don't think they will. Same as with iTunes, the masses use it so it must be ok rather than being a bloatware nightmare.

Problem is though there isn't a DRM system that even remotely close to Steam in terms of usefulness to both the customer and to the supplier.

@Stevo if you can't run Steam, FM and Firefox at the same time, then kill Firefox, it takes about 10X the RAM to run as Steam does.

Sadly, I don't think they will. Same as with iTunes, the masses use it so it must be ok rather than being a bloatware nightmare.

iTunes is significantly better in that respect than the other popular media player (WMP), but your point is valid. Having said that, I don't really know of a good alternative.

Brian- I'd accept UniLock. That system probably made FM09 the easiest FM to start playing, once the original DDoS attack was over.

I thought I was the only one who thought this! hurrah for the enlightened.

iTunes is significantly better in that respect than the other popular media player (WMP), but your point is valid. Having said that, I don't really know of a good alternative.

Brian- I'd accept UniLock. That system probably made FM09 the easiest FM to start playing, once the original DDoS attack was over.

I'd take uniloc too, never had any issues with it.

Problem is though there isn't a DRM system that even remotely close to Steam in terms of usefulness to both the customer and to the supplier.

@Stevo if you can't run Steam, FM and Firefox at the same time, then kill Firefox, it takes about 10X the RAM to run as Steam does.

I dont want to run Steam. Ive tried once and its awful. I just buy the DVD and install from that. Also I could easily run all of them on my desktop, I was just using my laptop as an example.

Archived