Cannot call up player to national team

I am the current manager of Italy, and would like to call up a 22-year-old Spanish player with an Spanish and Italian dual nationality. He has never played for Spain although he has a few caps for the Spain youth sides. However, there is no 'National Team' drop-down menu in his profile, and I am unable to call him up. I have managed to call up a few Argentines but not him. As FIFA has changed the rules of switching nationality recently, is this a bug?

Thanks for the replies, but they are not the case.

This is the player in question (you can see he has a few youth caps for Spain) There is no 'National Team' button:

vr5uu9.png

His profile (dual nationality):

205ph6v.png

He's not in the Spain squad:

m912bt.png

Nor the U23:

2ni1vlw.png

He is also not in the U23/U20/U19 squads.

He has U21 caps, if you are capped in a competitive match for a country then you are unable to play for any other country. At least that is my understanding of it.

I've had a similar experience- an American player on my Toronto FC team gains Canadian citizenship (3 years) at the start of the game. He states his intention to play for Canada when the time comes- the game says that he has to reside in Canada for 5 years before being eligible. In your case, the player may not meet the requirements to actually play for Italy, but he wouldn't count as a foreign player for an Italian team.

Again one of the many bugs with FM by SI. Under w/e caps count as full caps.

Pretty sure they dont tbh. For example, Nedum Onuoha has played for england u21 but there was talk of him playing for Nigeria.

Neven Subotic was capped numerous times for the US youth teams, but elected to play for Serbia. I believe FIFA rule's state that a player with more than one national eligibility must choose which nation to represent upon turning 23...though this was recently changed allowing players like Jermaine Jones to switch to American nationality because he had never appeared in an official/"A" game for Germany. Players are only allowed to make this switch once.

sth strange happened to me

I was Senegal coach, and I selected team for WC 2014... and 3-4 days to start of Cup I was going to set tactics, and - only two of my selected players were in team... it seems FM selects by himself...

I restarted, finished last qualifying match - and it happened again... but not for CAN, only for WC

I tried with CIV to do that, on first WC everything was good... and in 2018 with Egypt it happened again - none of my selected players appeared in WC squad

I mean, what the fak :D

and now I am Dinamo Zagreb manage, I applied for Cameroun job, and I got it, but I have never become their manager... every week I got notice: "Cameroon FA offered you manager role..."... I accept it, but nothing... and again... and again... when I reject... it happens again :( :( :(

whatever. didn't feel like saying U23, 21, 19, etc.

Ah right, in that case what you've said doesn't appear to be true. Have a look in the link I posted earlier, there's a few examples of players playing at under 21 level then changing nationalities.

• 1 month later...

I'm having this same problem with a Spanish player I want to call up for Italy.

He has gained Italian nationality, having lived in the country for comfortably long enough to be eligible for national selection, and his profile page doesn't say he's declared for Spain; nor does his FM RTE file, which has a little "declared for nation" box which isn't ticked. He is not in any of the Spanish squads, although he does have youth caps. His profile does say he is only eligible for Spain.

I'm guessing it must be a mistake in the game regarding the youth internationals rule; editing it is presumably the only way around it. I'm pretty sure it's only Spanish players, incidentally.

sth strange happened to me

I was Senegal coach, and I selected team for WC 2014... and 3-4 days to start of Cup I was going to set tactics, and - only two of my selected players were in team... it seems FM selects by himself...

I restarted, finished last qualifying match - and it happened again... but not for CAN, only for WC

I tried with CIV to do that, on first WC everything was good... and in 2018 with Egypt it happened again - none of my selected players appeared in WC squad

I mean, what the fak :D

and now I am Dinamo Zagreb manage, I applied for Cameroun job, and I got it, but I have never become their manager... every week I got notice: "Cameroon FA offered you manager role..."... I accept it, but nothing... and again... and again... when I reject... it happens again :( :( :(

Patch up to 10.3. There were some problems with African national management in previous patches. These all are supposed to have been fixed for 10.3 (i.e. the patch says it fixed them, and anyone with the same problems were sorted out by 10.3).

I'm guessing it must be a mistake in the game regarding the youth internationals rule; editing it is presumably the only way around it.

Well, in my Turkey team the backup GK has no turkey caps so far, but 14 youth caps for Ukraine.

Archived