Still playing 08

I know probably hardly nobody still plays it, but its more enjoyable for me than 2010.

I have just started in my 4th season with tottenham, this is the longest i have been into a fm save, i really want to play 2010, i try playing it but it just doesnt do it for me.

Its probably more to do with that i can hardly win in 2010 and in 08 i have a great tactic that gets me heaps of goals and thats the most enjoyable part for me seeing my team score.

So is anyone else still playing an older version or is it just me ?

I'm considering going back to FM09. 10 has some good additions but its a frustrating that regardless of the opposition they always manage to play as if they are Real Madrid!!!

With FM09 I've had a few long term games (between 2020/2025), starting from the lower leagues and rising up over the years. The difference with this to FM10 is that I actually enjoyed playing, whether we were winning or lossing - this time around though its as if the game is built completely against you

I don't think it's anything to do with being nostalgic. I'm still playing 08 after going back to it from 09 last year. 09 for me, whilst I enjoyed it to some extent, had too many frustrations and that's something I don't want from a game. I want to enjoy it and ultimately that's why i've gone back to it. I haven't bought 10 yet as, as usual it won't be playable until patch two/three has been released. Already i've seen several posts regarding issues with it (crash dumps etc) so i'll wait and see what the feedback is once the patches have been released and then decide from there whether or not to buy it.

I'm currently loving 08 though and it's really put the fun back into the time I have playing FM.

This game has the potential to be very good. But its limited by a couple of errors in judgment by SI. FM10 has a horrible and unintuitive interface. There is too much unnecessary clicking. And the manager overview page is missing the simplicity and depth of information that FM2007 had. Sure it can be changed, but you cant get all the info from 2007 and its plainly ugly. I also dont understand why they didnt include a soothing, easy on the eyes skin. Harsh overly bright white or ugly black doesnt cut it. Why wrap a beautiful game in rags?

The decision to separate news from email has caused me to miss some important info as the game doesnt let me know about it in a clear and obvious way. Please merge these two things back into one please.

I still play (and prefer) FM 2008. It runs so much faster than 09 or 10, although it's probably getting a bit too easy now.

For example, in my current game I went on holiday until 2027 and then became manager of Forest. They'd fallen down as far as League Two in that time and were on the verge of going out of the league altogether. I took over and in my first season we were promoted as champions. In my second season we were promoted from League One. In my third season we were promoted from the Championship. Fourth season we finished eighth in the Premier, then third, then in our third season up we've just won the Premiership and Champions' League.

I've kind of lost interest in the game now.

I'm still on FM07 and I was kind of hoping in retiring my FM07 cd with FM10, however i have to agree with bababui with everything. The division of Inbox (FM07) into News, Inbox and news Transfers was simply a horrible decision. i too missed a few important news in the short period I play FM10.

Also I don't like the subs of continuous play, that is reason I'm in FM07 and not FM08 and few other issues with some features.

Now the main reasons I'm in FM07 and think is the best FM ever (let's see what the patches brings to FM10, but not very hopeful) is that FM07 was simple to get into (I feel the new UI is like you live in London you want to go to manchester, but you need to go via Revjavvik (iceland and sorry if the name isn't correct)). FM07 is addicted, because I always am anxiously to get into another season after I don't win the Champions league or Liga Sagres (i'm playing as Benfica with few changes I did in the editor by making portuguese league the best in the world) I'm looking at my team where i can improve it. Also this setting I did on the editor, makes even more eager to see what other clubs go after which players. I feel that year after year things get more complicated, which is more fun, which brings me to third and final point. Fun, these games need to have fun and shouldn't be replaced by realism (i'm not oppose it, but I'm against it when takes the fun out of the games. It is game and games should be fun and no games after FM07 has that factor, especially fm09 and FM10 with patch 1.

Cheers

I skipped FM09 as the problems were just too much but have gave FM10 a chance but despite it being better, I am still not convinced. I want to like it, I really do but I don't think I do. I want to go back to FM08, Ijust wish someone would produce a database which is as upto-date as FM10 with correct ages etc for all the players which I can't imagine happening, unless I'm wrong???? Does anyone know if there is such a thing???

Anyway for me FM10 is still just too detailed to navigate around at a quick pace. The gameplay is better though I don't play with the new 3D screens, and the in-depth tactics to all the players and settings involved with each of these is just too much?? It's tricky selling players, it's not easy buying players, and at times is quite unrealistic, I mean as a Stoke fan I was baffled at how Shawcross and Faye's rating weren't any higher than what they are?? Very surprising.

I find it mad that in this day and age Si are still doing updates for problems that have occured, I mean what is the point of testing?? I have been playing this game since the original days of early 90's but am wondering if the magic is going and that is sad, I wonder how many long-term champo fans feel the same way??!!?!?

Please, please can someone come up with FM08 but bang uptodate with ages, squads etc, cos I can see me going back to that.

I have to admit, im pretty torn between going back to FM 9.3... that was quality after they bought out that patch. And coupled with the Klasa skin made it even more enjoyable! I did try playing 08 on my laptop as it wouldnt support 09 and it just frustrated me. Stick with FM10, its only going to get better and better when they release new patches!!

Isn't it amazing how people see and experience different things with the same game.

I've just started 2016/17 on FM10, the only save I've had since buying the game. Being a Millwall fan I had to start with the mighty lions and I've experienced nice, steady progress up into the top half of the championship. Would post a screenshoot but my internet connection is pants and won't let me do it. Current Record P430 W194 D109 L127 F776 A602.

I agree with what some have said about the interface and having to click to much. Although one praise I do have for SI isn't that I haven't had any bugs or crash dumps, which is something I've never had with any previous games.

I'm still on fm2008, i play about 10 teams at once so i tend to be in the game for the long haul, all that setting up again with a new version takes ages! Still i have bought 2010 and am looking forward to the lower league extension!

In my opinion, FM08 was and still is the best one made. For some reason it gives me the greatest amount of pleasure when playing it. FM09 didn't cut it for me really, I enjoyed it though. FM10 is also great, I enjoy playing this due to the new features and new squadlists. FM08 is still the one to beat though.

Archived