It is possible to be succesful without spending ages on tactics!

i've heard a lot of people complain that new FM games are worse than older ones due to needing to spend ages tweaking tactics in order to obtain any level of success and i would just like to tell these people that it isnt true!

I am one of the worst managers of all time and i never make tactical changes no matter who i am playing against. i always play 4-4-2, i set my team instructions up at the start of the season and never change them (generally go a bit attacking with slightly direct passing and hard tackling). if i go ahead, i dont go more defensive, i just leave it as it is. if i am losing i sometimes change to a 3-4-3 and thats it, thats all i ever do.

it will come as no surprise to hear that almost every time i fail miserably and end up starting a new game but i have now finally had a fairly succesful game despite only taking 5 hours a season (with a laptop that whilst relatively new is hardly hi-spec).

to cut a long story slightly shorter, i managed to start with automatic reputation in league 2 with rochdale, after 5 seasons won promotion to league 1, after another 5 years went up to the championship then kept them there for 2 seasons. I was offered the nigeria job whilst in the championship as my reputation had gone up to national. i managed to get them to the second round of the world cup despite being tipped to finish bottom of the group. We went out after a 1-0 defeat to england.

at this point i resigned and ended up at ajax, who were in severe financial trouble and tipped to finish 6th in holland. i spent two seasons there and came 2nd both times and won the dutch cup once, also reaching the uefa cup semi final.

again i quit and have just been appointed manager of brazil.

its taken season upon season to manage but simply by being sensible regarding wages and the bank balance and signing the right players i have proved to myself that you can be succesful whilst paying very little attention to tactics and thus not spending absolutely ages to complete a season.

for anyone who feels they dont spend long enough on tactics to ever be succesful, take heart. i am dreadful and am just so delighted that i've started at rochdale and ended up at Brazil. it is possible- god i love this game!!

i've heard a lot of people complain that new FM games are worse than older ones due to needing to spend ages tweaking tactics in order to obtain any level of success and i would just like to tell these people that it isnt true!

I am one of the worst managers of all time and i never make tactical changes no matter who i am playing against. i always play 4-4-2, i set my team instructions up at the start of the season and never change them (generally go a bit attacking with slightly direct passing and hard tackling). if i go ahead, i dont go more defensive, i just leave it as it is. if i am losing i sometimes change to a 3-4-3 and thats it, thats all i ever do.

it will come as no surprise to hear that almost every time i fail miserably and end up starting a new game but i have now finally had a fairly succesful game despite only taking 5 hours a season (with a laptop that whilst relatively new is hardly hi-spec).

to cut a long story slightly shorter, i managed to start with automatic reputation in league 2 with rochdale, after 5 seasons won promotion to league 1, after another 5 years went up to the championship then kept them there for 2 seasons. I was offered the nigeria job whilst in the championship as my reputation had gone up to national. i managed to get them to the second round of the world cup despite being tipped to finish bottom of the group. We went out after a 1-0 defeat to england.

at this point i resigned and ended up at ajax, who were in severe financial trouble and tipped to finish 6th in holland. i spent two seasons there and came 2nd both times and won the dutch cup once, also reaching the uefa cup semi final.

again i quit and have just been appointed manager of brazil.

its taken season upon season to manage but simply by being sensible regarding wages and the bank balance and signing the right players i have proved to myself that you can be succesful whilst paying very little attention to tactics and thus not spending absolutely ages to complete a season.

for anyone who feels they dont spend long enough on tactics to ever be succesful, take heart. i am dreadful and am just so delighted that i've started at rochdale and ended up at Brazil. it is possible- god i love this game!!

congrats on sticking it to it until you're successful!!

i think that if i had played badly back at CM00/01 i wouldn't still be playing this series!!

Long live the mighty Canberra Cosmos NSL, Oceanic, and World Club Champions!!!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by The 13th Duke of Wybourne:

No. It is no possible... but there is another way, use tactics that other members have allready tested . </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It definately is possible, as the OP has proved. Personally I do spend a lot of time creating two tactics when I first purchase the game, but after that I never change them and stick with them no matter what, so am also able to get through seasons relatively quickly.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nomis07:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by The 13th Duke of Wybourne:

No. It is no possible... but there is another way, use tactics that other members have allready tested . </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It definately is possible, as the OP has proved. Personally I do spend a lot of time creating two tactics when I first purchase the game, but after that I never change them and stick with them no matter what, so am also able to get through seasons relatively quickly. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

And what kind of teams you play with?

A vairety of teams, ranging from Lower Scottish league and Northern Irish leagues to German Bundesliga and Serie A.

At the start of the game I created an away tactic and a home tactic and whilst it took a long long time to create these at the beginning I do not stray from them now.

Of course there is an element of luck etc involved in the success of each game you start and tactics aren't the be all and end all, but the ability to progress without constantly tweaking tactics depending on opponent is there.

Good post RWCM.

As you say, if you want to use the default tactics then all you need to do is buy the right players to suit them.

If people don't like buying players or changing tactics then there really isn't much point. icon_biggrin.gif

I don't go over the top with tactics either. I create one for the start of the season and then may be change the odd position during the game depending on how it's going. Sometimes if things are dreadful, I'll switch to an completely new, usually standard tactic with the odd change if required.

And that's how the game should play out.

i have football manager 2006 and this is the first of these games i have owned. i have not touched the tactics ONCE i have however tinkered extensively with formations and i buy/loan/get on free transfer many nice looking players. i have won the leyland daf with barnet 2 seasons in a row and at the end of my second season i am promoted also, so i think you can get away without touching tactics at all. by the way i dont regard formations as tactics, i regard tactics as those little sliders you can alter concerning tackling, free kicks, corners etc i have NEVER touched them.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nomis07:

It definately is possible, as the OP has proved. Personally I do spend a lot of time creating two tactics when I first purchase the game, but after that I never change them and stick with them no matter what, so am also able to get through seasons relatively quickly. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

WHS

I always create two formations specific to each team I play as, but in essence they are all very similar. It seems to work as I almost always have a high win percentage. Tactics is one of my favourite things in the game, so I wouldnt just leave it. I do wish there was more flexibility in the tactics though. I remember on Player Manager on the Playstation, you could put players in individual tiles, so you could set it up with you little man to start deeper than your big man and run past for the flick on. It was ace - though the m.e. was rubbish! Way too many scores over 4-2!

I don't spend huge amounts of time in particular on tactics.

I'll have a set in mind when I manage a club, then bring in players over time that have the right attributes to suit that system.

I will make changes now & again, but it's usually always something simple.

I managed to get Brighton in the Champions League through sheer purchasing of the right players.

It was my first save and i didnt know any of the good players and even if i did, i couldnt afford (come on, even their sponsors name is "skint").

I bought a combination of experienced and youth, mainly the latter, and kept to my 5-2-3 formation throughout.

It wasnt until i downlaoded that evil 8.0.2 patch that my players started go down the drain and the formation was awful. 10 seasons of hard work finished, but i will remeber every minute of my 15 day real time stint of the might Brighton and Hove Albion Football Club...I saltue you!

Archived