Trading in Football Manager 09 - but continuing to play it?

ive played for months without the disc in for FM09, i have been offered a £12 trade in value, and ive pre ordered new one off zavvi for £17 so £12 would be a cracking return.

Anyway if i sold it and somebody else bought it, would this not affect me playing the game without the disc as i have done for months?

When you sell the game, you sell your legal rights to play the game. Once you have sold the game, you are not allowed to play the game anymore and must uninstall it. Not doing so could be seen as piracy.

Personally I would just keep it - if you sell it, you won't be able to play FM again until FM10 is released in over a month. (Well, you could play a previous version like 07 or 08 but...)

If you do choose to sell the game, you must uninstall the game and unactivate the game from your computer.

When you sell the game, you sell your legal rights to play the game. Once you have sold the game, you are not allowed to play the game anymore and must uninstall it. Not doing so could be seen as piracy.

Personally I would just keep it - if you sell it, you won't be able to play FM again until FM10 is released in over a month. (Well, you could play a previous version like 07 or 08 but...)

If you do choose to sell the game, you must uninstall the game and unactivate the game from your computer.

no problem, thought so. I'll probably keep it like but wuld it still work mate? if so why is that lol

no problem, thought so. I'll probably keep it like but wuld it still work mate? if so why is that lol

It would still work unless the person who bought it deactivated your game. You don't need the disk to play, and your computer doesn't know if you sell the disk. Obvious when you think about it.

I can't believe how many goody goody people are on here, you must uninstall it lol. If it is active on your machine does it stop the person who buys it from playing it?

It prevents them installing on 5 machines... So if they want to they will disable your seat, and you won't be able to play any more.

Additionally, this is the game developer's forum. You expect people to ENCOURAGE you to take part in piracy? Don't doubt it, the moment you sell the disk then load up the game, you are a pirate, and thus not welcome on the developers forum.

It prevents them installing on 5 machines... So if they want to they will disable your seat, and you won't be able to play any more.

Additionally, this is the game developer's forum. You expect people to ENCOURAGE you to take part in piracy? Don't doubt it, the moment you sell the disk then load up the game, you are a pirate, and thus not welcome on the developers forum.

I never said encourage it, I just wonder how many people would really uninstall it from their machine.

Oh dear. Far too over the top.

Use your own judgement, there's a small chance your code could be deactivated if you sell it, I'd wait til youve stopped playing 09 or when 10 is out

What an idiot. :rolleyes:

C.

How does anything I said make me an idiot?

I understand that piracy would be frowned upon on these forums, I have never and will never pirate an FM game but I do download music and films so I'm not going to be a righteous hypocrite like some.

How does anything I said make me an idiot?

You come on to the official SI forum and make a stupid post like the one above, for a start. :rolleyes:

I understand that piracy would be frowned upon on these forums, I have never and will never pirate an FM game but I do download music and films so I'm not going to be a righteous hypocrite like some.

No, you're just going to be an idiot instead. :D

There was nothing wrong with what arsenal_2111 said. It's not being righteous, it's really just using a bit of common sense.

Of course you should deactivate the game if you're planning on selling it. It's the morally and ethically correct thing to do, not least for the poor sucker who is going to buy a copy of the game expecting to have five activation 'seats'. Isn't it because of idiots trying this on that most of the video games stores won't trade copies of FM09 anyway?

I can't actually believe that there has been not one but two threads about this in as many days. Honestly. :rolleyes:

Regards,

C.

You come on to the official SI forum and make a stupid post like the one above, for a start. :rolleyes:

There was nothing wrong with what arsenal_2111 said. It's not being righteous, it's really just using a bit of common sense.

Of course you should deactivate the game if you're planning on selling it. It's the morally and ethically correct thing to do, not least for the poor sucker who is going to buy a copy of the game expecting to have five activation 'seats'. Isn't it because of idiots trying this on that most of the video games stores won't trade copies of FM09 anyway?

I can't actually believe that there has been not one but two threads about this in as many days. Honestly. :rolleyes:

Regards,

C.

To expand on the bold text, wouldnt it be incorrect to sell a game that has 5 "seats" without it actually having 5 "seats" as the person selling it is still using 1. I know the buyer could deactivate the original owners seat but its still being mis-sold. Would you buy a car that had a wheel missing, only to be told that if you want the missing wheel you'd have to go to the tyre shop and get it yourself? Maybe the example is extreme, but the principle is the same.

Regards,

C.

wow, yeah you really showed me...

get off your high horse with these stupid rolleyes emoticons, the question by the OP was a simple enquiry and he did not ask for morale or ethical opinions, the reply he got was WAY too over the top.

Oh, and you didnt even answer my question you just used a childish response..

The only answers that will be given here will be moral and ethical, because this is the game developer's forum. Nobody on here is going to say "Go ahead, leave the game installed and trade it". You pay for the right to use the game and it's code. When you sell the game on, you give up that right. It's all pretty simple, really.

I can't actually believe that there has been not one but two threads about this in as many days. Honestly.

I was more suprised that in the first one, I was the only one who actually pointed out that doing this is technically illegal. Everyone else seemed to be making suggestions on who to trade the game into, completely missing the point that he wanted to keep the game activated via Steam.

wow, yeah you really showed me...

get off your high horse with these stupid rolleyes emoticons, the question by the OP was a simple enquiry and he did not ask for morale or ethical opinions, the reply he got was WAY too over the top.

It was a pretty silly question in the first place to be honest, wasn't it?

The reply he got was the correct reply. It wasn't 'WAY too over the top'. It was the only correct response unless you are a prat. Surely, only an idiot would go on to the game developer's official website/forum and say that it is okay for somebody to effectively pirate their game? Furthermore, from whatever angle you look at it from, it is the only right thing to do really. If you sell it, the activation slots aren't your slots any more, and by keeping them you are being a total pain in the backside to some poor sucker who buys your game and has to work out how to disable the activations. If the game was CD-only, you wouldn't be able to play it, so why should you play it now that it has activation slots? Finally, as suggested above, the idiots who do this have basically ruined it for everyone else, because it is widely known that a large number of video games stores are not accepting FM09 due to people trying it on.

Oh, and you didnt even answer my question you just used a childish response..

See above.

Regards,

C.

To expand on the bold text, wouldnt it be incorrect to sell a game that has 5 "seats" without it actually having 5 "seats" as the person selling it is still using 1. I know the buyer could deactivate the original owners seat but its still being mis-sold. Would you buy a car that had a wheel missing, only to be told that if you want the missing wheel you'd have to go to the tyre shop and get it yourself? Maybe the example is extreme, but the principle is the same.

I don't think you could sell single seats. You don't get the right to re-license parts of it by buying a copy of FM.

And sorry for bumping this godawful thread.

I don't think you could sell single seats. You don't get the right to re-license parts of it by buying a copy of FM.

And sorry for bumping this godawful thread.

That wasn't my point. My point was if you were buying 09, new or second hand, you would expect to get the full 5 seats, as with a car you would expect a full set of wheels.

Archived