Picking players that 'fit in'

Hello all,

I've been making notes on my squad this season regarding coach reports about things like personalities etc., and I've been taking them into account when selecting my first XI.

One thing I have noted is whether or not a player 'fits in' to my side in terms of his personality according to my coaches.

I have found that my performances (and results) are better when I play a first XI where a number of the players fit in very well (where the coach indicates that the individual epitomises the personality of the squad, for instance). However, when starting with a few players who don't fit in, performances haven't been quite as promising.

Now, I could have just found something interesting here. Alternatively, it could be because my squad is professional and therefore players who fit in very well are professional and thus performing more solidly than the players who don't fit in. Of course, it could also be that the players who fit in are just much better than those who don't! :D

I just wondered if anyone else has tried this?

C.

Personality is a shortlist filter for me. If the target doesn't have some degree of a professional or determined personality, I will not sign him. Sporting is okay also, if AssMan says he'll fit. I shun ambitious entirely.

The exception is youth, where I will sign Balanced or "slightly" anything, even ambitious. Youth can be tutored into a fit. But heaven help the kid who takes a dislike to one of my senior squad. He will be wearing a different shirt - or no shirt at all - faster than he can say "takes himself too seriously." Unless, of course, the opinion is shared by others in the senior squad. Then, it's the stuck-up b@stard who'll hit the bricks.

Ambition can be very important as it gives an indication of how hard the player will work to be the best he can be. Players with low ambition might never reach their potential therefore.

C.

That may work for bigger clubs, but in my experience, ambitious players want to leave me as soon as they start reaching that potential...they are a waste of my time, effort, and euros.

Personality is a shortlist filter for me. If the target doesn't have some degree of a professional or determined personality, I will not sign him. Sporting is okay also, if AssMan says he'll fit. I shun ambitious entirely.

The exception is youth, where I will sign Balanced or "slightly" anything, even ambitious. Youth can be tutored into a fit. But heaven help the kid who takes a dislike to one of my senior squad. He will be wearing a different shirt - or no shirt at all - faster than he can say "takes himself too seriously." Unless, of course, the opinion is shared by others in the senior squad. Then, it's the stuck-up b@stard who'll hit the bricks.

I thought ambition had a good effect on progression towards potential ability. My impression is that a player with a high rating in professional, determination and ambition will progress very quickly. Ambitious players will also have high moral if you promise high bonuses, but on the flip side they will be the first to ask question and start moaning when things go wrong. If they have top personality mix, high ambition is an excellent trait to have.

I can understand you being cautions, though, cos ambition is a two edged sword and can be toxic mixed with certain other traits.

Personality is big issue for me now, after making a few what I thought were choice signings for some serious money, they came in thinking the squad was to built around them. Needless to say I soon got rid of them quick. I've only had one occasion where someone 'dislikes soandso'. In that case it was the disliker who was wearing a different shirt in no time. I won't have disagreements in my teams and if two players don't get on and they vocalise this in the media, they will both be dropped to the reserves for a month. If this doesn't sort them out, they both go.

It's definately a very good point crouchaldinho and one that I share.

You're probably aware of my "approach" of building my teams and squads around a "core" tactic. Included in the signing and selection of players having attributes that suit the team and individual roles and setting, I look for character matches.

Overall, they perform better as a unit, make friends quicker (favoured personnel) and gel quicker as a team, if they share the same or similar characters.

I know how you feel too about having a clearly talented youngster who's not "in-tune" with the characters of your other players. When this happens to me, I will try for a certain amount of time, but if they won't be mentored or flatly refuse my PPM suggestions, then it's time for them to go...

If I spot characteristics for regens at my clubs, that are clearly the opposite of the rest of my squad, I either sell them for the best fee I can get, or simply release them.

Some people seem not to like "Ambitious", but I think a little differently. If they have high "Determination" and "Teamwork", then it's fair to assume that they will have reasonable professionalism. There's nothing wrong with ambition in my book, so long as its tempered with other "positive" attributes.

I've never really looked into personalities, silly me! Ill have to start looking at this i didnt know it made a massive impact of team performance. Better start kicking those bad boys out! Your always whipping out great threads crouchaldinho! Good work

Get a Model Professional veteran with some reputation, and get him to tutor any youngster in his position, these youngsters will fit, higher professionalism will make them fit into any team.

Get a Model Professional veteran with some reputation, and get him to tutor any youngster in his position, these youngsters will fit, higher professionalism will make them fit into any team.

Nice idea moj, but if the youngster has poor characteristics, in all likelyhood he'll still be an annoying git, regardless of how professional the mentor is. :(

It's always one of the most frustrating things about the youngster-mentor relationships in the game for me. You have a quality looking youngster and you link them with your ultra-professional super-star in the same position. They still moan about a clash of personalities.

When this happens, I just get rid of them... it's not worth the morale drops to the senior players or any other potential disruptions.

I thought ambition had a good effect on progression towards potential ability. My impression is that a player with a high rating in professional, determination and ambition will progress very quickly.

This is correct - specifically, it's been claimed in the stickied training thread that these 3 mental attributes are key to gaining maximum benefit from training.

I have a couple of players in my usual stating 11 that "dosn't like big occasions" whom I drop for derby matches ect which works well.

I also find that players with high determination seem to be a better choice for cup games. Maybe its just a coincidence though?

I just looked at my squads personalities

I have a fair spread through professional, resilient, determined and spirited

im guessing they should fit alright? resilient and determined go together right?

so id have a ... determined and professional squad?

which is good i would say.... what types of personalities are not to be considered for me do you think?

i just checked my scounts opinions on some personalities and he says determined people wouldnt fit in and would have to work hard to fit in. Why is this? i thought they would do well having the drive to achieve?

yeh i guessed there would be the ol hidden ones, i just thought it would be mainly around the broad descriptions of the personality.

ill have to start looking into the main visible aspects when signing some new players.but it adds another depth to the game i hadnt been thinking of before. ah the joy of this game!

Your coaches are often the best source for determining if a player fits in. There was a post around here that detailed which hidden stats determine a player's shown personality; it basically listed the personality dichotomy. Suffice it to say, a player who is professional may also have high ambition or high determination and thus will fit with an ambitious or determined squad. Or not. It's another situation where you have to rely on your staff to interpret the hidden information for you.

Your coaches are often the best source for determining if a player fits in. There was a post around here that detailed which hidden stats determine a player's shown personality; it basically listed the personality dichotomy. Suffice it to say, a player who is professional may also have high ambition or high determination and thus will fit with an ambitious or determined squad. Or not. It's another situation where you have to rely on your staff to interpret the hidden information for you.

That's right. I was going to copy&paste Lyssien's list of personalities and their hidden attributes, but I decided it would be a spoiler. Better to go by what the game tells you and work it out yourself.

Are scouts just as effective at analyzing a player's personality as the coaches are? In this case, does it make a difference whether to scout a player using a scout or a coach?

In my opinion, at least initially they are just as accurate. However, given time the hidden attributes can change through tutoring, certain events, etc. and the only way to keep up to date on the player's current personality is to occasionally check in with your coaches.

Archived