kid's have no respect for the old generation

Sorry but that's ridiculous. A dutch 16yr old keeper would not turn down the chance to learn from a dutch goalkeeping legend like VDS. I could possibly understand it if he was early to mid 20's but even then it would be a push. I would almost just ship the kid out straight away, he clearly has an attittude problem and will more than likely cause issues within the squad at a later date.

I have had the misfortune of working with many obnoxious 16yr olds and I can assure you there are many with an attitude problem, so in my opinion, this is not ridiculous at all.

With all due respect are you a national legend in your particular field! I'm not saying that the 16yr old would worship VDS just that he would have the common sense to realise that he could be taught a few things by him!

With all due respect are you a national legend in your particular field! I'm not saying that the 16yr old would worship VDS just that he would have the common sense to realise that he could be taught a few things by him!

I'm not claiming to be anything so you can drop the sarcastic comments. I'm only stating what I consider to be pretty obvious for anyone who knows anything about the attitude of a significant minority of teenagers.

What are the personalities of the two players involved? Players can clash base don personality, i've had newgens end up as disliked personnel of top players who have been tutoring them, the personalities clashed and a professional won't work well with a temperamental player.

I'm not claiming to be anything so you can drop the sarcastic comments. I'm only stating what I consider to be pretty obvious for anyone who knows anything about the attitude of a significant minority of teenagers.

Sorry Kickballz, you misinterpreted my post which I thought may happen and why I put 'with all due respect'. Apologies but I wasn't being sarcastic.

I think that you have got to appreciate the fact that a teenager (indeed any rational human) would more than likely react differently when being told that a legend in their field would like to help them than they would if it was their school teacher.

Sorry Kickballz, you misinterpreted my post which I thought may happen and why I put 'with all due respect'. Apologies but I wasn't being sarcastic.

I think that you have got to appreciate the fact that a teenager (indeed any rational human) would more than likely react differently when being told that a legend in their field would like to help them than they would if it was their school teacher.

I agree that would be normal for a rational human. Call me a cynic if you must, but this lad, in my opinion, is one of those teenagers who comes under the category of 'non-rational humans'.

lol at us talking about this guy like he's a real person.

Seems pretty realistic to me tbh, He might not be a fan of the guy, I had a regen on 08 who said he didn't think he could learn from Rooney... he did anyway and they became BFFs and even played as the front 2 for England in the 2010 line up. That was probably due to Rooney still being young(ish) in comparison to VDS.

In my experience no player has ever turned down working with a national legend unless they're not from the same country.

I think this is an area of the game that could be improved.

It's realistic for youngsters to refuse tutoring, but there are some players that 95% of young players would never say no to, regardless of personalities.

I think this could be done in the game using reputation. If a player reaches a certain reputation then 95% of players under 18 would be willing to say yes. For example, if reputation is a value between 0 and 500 (those are just made up numbers, I'm not sure what value range is used to measure reputation) when a player reaches a reputation of 475+ then they cross the threshold that would make more players willing to be tutored by them (position allowing).

This would then emulate real life situations where footballing legends such as Van der Sar would rarely be turned down for tutoring by a youngster.

Maybe VDS was the annoying one. Just because hes a great experienced goalie that dont mean hes a nice person. He could have been all moody and refused to talk to him and called him 'buy buy'. I just mean you never know lol..

Could it be cos you are in 2011 and van der sars past his best?

past his best doesn't mean he is not worth learning from. VDS would be able to offer loads of help, no one in their right mind would turn down tutoring from him.

i understand why they would say no (big headedness arrogance e.t.c) but in all fairness he would at least give it some consideration, when i was at Wycombe Youth team (schoolboys) i was a Sub most games before released, but the goalkeeping coach at the time: Steve James (Or Jones) still worked with me, as he said i had potential and offered me some tutoring from the under 19's goalkeeper, which unfortunately despite me not being able to get any as i was released before, i was still up for it, even though the keeper was not world famous or anything, because i was excited to learn, surely this would be in the same field as a higher class young keeper, getting the chance of tuition from a higher class ledgend keeper?

I would say more often than not I either get:

"X unsure as to benefit, but will give it a go anyway"

with the 'tutor' always either happy or delighted to tutor the kid.

OR I get

Both happy to be tutored and tutor, but at the end:

"X gained little from working with Y"

And I agree, it's something that could be fixed. More often than not it should have positive rather than a negative impact, but unfortunately it doesn't. Perhaps I'm doing it wrong; selecting the wrong option, or the wrong players to pair up, but it still shouldn't happen this often.

I would say more often than not I either get:

"X unsure as to benefit, but will give it a go anyway"

with the 'tutor' always either happy or delighted to tutor the kid.

OR I get

Both happy to be tutored and tutor, but at the end:

"X gained little from working with Y"

And I agree, it's something that could be fixed. More often than not it should have positive rather than a negative impact, but unfortunately it doesn't. Perhaps I'm doing it wrong; selecting the wrong option, or the wrong players to pair up, but it still shouldn't happen this often.

same, i'm always hearing the tutor is delighted, and youth, unsure or well happy

Archived