Position Buying

Does anyone else find that they buy too many players for one position, I always find myself seeing a good striker and thinking, ooh he looks good, i think i'll have him (not thinking i already have 11). Then you struggle to play your 12 strikers and have to flog half of them because they're unhappy about lack of first team action, even if they're all brilliant. I've managed to limit my squad of 16 to 5 strikers, but still.

I don't do this, I have a first team squad of 23 (3 keepers and 2 players for each of my other positions), I usually buy young promising players, and then promote them to the first team as and when I need replacements. I try to have 1 or 2 good youngsters available in the reserves for each position at any one time.

I don't do this, I have a first team squad of 23 (3 keepers and 2 players for each of my other positions), I usually buy young promising players, and then promote them to the first team as and when I need replacements. I try to have 1 or 2 good youngsters available in the reserves for each position at any one time.

That is pretty much what I do when managing at anything below EPL/La Liga/Serie A kind of level. I just lose my head when I have the cash to buy practically as many youngsters as I like and just think "Ooh, he might be good in a few years" even though he blatantly won't :o

Normally for me it is buying to many MC, a few of them might be AMC or DM that can also play MC. I think at one point in FM07 I had 20 players who could play there. In FM08 for some reason I have switched to a DC obsession, I had 10 at one point plus 4 out on loan.

When i'm at a big club i nick all the best young players then pick some a starting 11 of them to play for my squad and put the erst out on loan and then evaluate the best 11 out of them the next season, once they've hit 21-23 and i can guess what sort of potential and if they fit in my squad or worth building a new one around them and flog the rest for as much as i can

I used to buy a bit too many but now I've learnt to limit myself. In the end, I have to let Arsenal buy the star midfielder which will likely improve their team. I suppose being champions of Europe helps me come to that decision though.

Yes I used to buy every striker i could for no reason, but now i limit myself to 4 strikers and a versatile mid who can play forward if need be. I'm on this trend that i only have a first team of 2 goalies, 7 defenders, 7 mids, and 4 strikers. I like this a lot cause I nearly never get any unhappy players.

I have at least 6 strikers in my first team liverpool squad.

They are all good players and potential stars and i dont have the heart to sell them.

So im retraining half of them as wingers:thup:

Haha thats exactly what i end up doing

• 3 weeks later...
TBH I do this in a small way with Attacking Midfielders who can play in all 3 AM spots. Mind you I signed a player in january who does all that as well as being a DM

I do this as well. If you can play all three AM spots, all three MF slots, AND striker, I'll scout you incessantly and reserve a spot for you in my U21s for two years, whereupon I'll promptly forget all about you. Sad, but true...sorry, Martijn Lee!

Does anyone else find that they buy too many players for one position, I always find myself seeing a good striker and thinking, ooh he looks good, i think i'll have him (not thinking i already have 11). Then you struggle to play your 12 strikers and have to flog half of them because they're unhappy about lack of first team action, even if they're all brilliant. I've managed to limit my squad of 16 to 5 strikers, but still.

Absolutely right!!

however, in my defense i play lower league and after a promotion you need to sign many new and get rid of some. :)

I have to admit, if I am at a club with the resources to do so, I will snap up nearly every vaguely promising striker I can. I don't know why I do it, it's like those impulse buys near the till at Tescos, I just can't help myself

I suffer from this in tesco and on deadline day on fm really badly. The amount of money thrown away on bad players is just silly, and sam ewith the 3 for a 1 sweetsaat tesco

I've always had a bad habit of buying too many players who I don't need, especially on frees. I tend to do this simply because they're good players and they'll join - and because it was always easy to sell them on and make a profit. But one of the things this year's version does well, I think, is punishes you for these reckless dealings both through negative squad harmony and a more noticeable effect on finances. I now try to limit who I bring in and I think this has had a beneficial effect on the realism of the game.

My stadium can't be expanded past 4000 (250 seated), the same since I was in BSS, so my wage budget is only 50k/week, and I'm in the Championship, so while I would be buying every youngster under the sun with a half-decent budget, thankfully my miserly finances limit me to a squad of 22-25 on welfare wages.

Not to mention all of the negative effects of bringing in too many players that GP's Pants mentioned above ;)

Now i'm in the premiership i'm really fussy about who i buy, they must be at or have a potential of 6 or 7 stars. I even have a budget of around 30 million i've only used 10 cause no other good young players want to join me, although i got have 2 7 star players, on who i signed for a free :)

Archived