FMS Community Thread

Raptor

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Probably the butler.

--------------------

Anyone interested in a story about the most utter carp team in Holland? It's a real life story, filled with tears, laughter, beer, ups, downs, beer, tempered managers, beer, annoying referees, very bad decisions, beer, no training and a lot of really carp players.

Originally posted by Dixie Flatline:

Would there, by any chance, be anything about beer in this proposed story?

No, none of our players likes beer, we despite it. We only drink sportdrinks and water after the game.

Sometimes we knock ourselfs out and get a cup of tea.

Has anyone got experience of making serious edits to the database on FM07 or FM08?

I've edited a nation so as to change its name, kits, reputation, league standard etc for the purposes of creating my own league and although all my teams are viewable, I cannot choose the national leagues to play, in fact, it has disappeared.

The names of the nation, the competitions, and some stadiums were changed. Does anyone know why this is now unplayable or can offer any thoughts or advice?

I've spent hours on this only not to be able to play it!!

Originally posted by Peacemaker7:

Try changing the nation name back to what it was, then comp names etc and see if anything like that affects it. I remember doing something similiar but I forget how I fixed it, if indeed I did.

Cheers PM, I changed the nation name back and it appears to be working

In case anyone is interested in my wellbeing, the axeman appeared in court on Monday morning and as he hasn't been back since I'm assuming he's been remanded until trial. It's possible he could have been bailed on the condition he didn't come back to the flat but tbh he's too much of a nutter not to do that. I would assume, as he was actually caught by the Police with the axe, that his lawyer would have told him to plead guilty? No idea what sort of sentence he will get, and a lot of it depends on background and previous convictions.

To give a bit of background, this bloke bullied the guy who lived below me about a year ago so that that bloke had to move out. He got a warning from the council icon_rolleyes.gif but because it was more than six months ago, that no longer counts. I have put in for a move, because tbh when he does eventually get out he won't be best pleased and I don't see why I should have to live beside such a moron. Chances are he might be evicted I suppose but he would still know where I lived.

It amazes me though. He was also threatening my neighbours with the axe, yet they quite clearly did not call the Police, and did not come to speak to the Police when they got the guy under control. I know some people just don't like the Police, but I would have though having a bloke at your door with an axe would perhaps be one of those occassions when you might just want to call them?

Well been playing with this new beta patch for FM08 and I'm sad to say thats the match engine is pretty much laughable at the moment.

While I do like a lot of the new features, revamps and I do eventually think the game could be worth it in the long run there is just simply too many things wrong with game to even justify them bringing it out in the fashion they have.

To be honest, CM4 was the last version I played of that game, and it put me off for the simple reason that it was s***. Far too easy. FM05 was the best version of the game, although my current FM08 game has been one of my most enjoyable on any of the FM series. a few little quirks here and there but that is to be expected with any game really

Originally posted by sherm:

To be honest, CM4 was the last version I played of that game, and it put me off for the simple reason that it was s***. Far too easy. FM05 was the best version of the game, although my current FM08 game has been one of my most enjoyable on any of the FM series. a few little quirks here and there but that is to be expected with any game really

CM4 was definitely up there amongst the worst versions - I had some fun managing Halifax Town, but only in the sense that I won promotion every season from Conference to Premiership. Whilst I'd love to claim to be a genius I think game flaws and it being too easy were entirely responsible! Mind you, I did get them relegated straight away from the EPL icon_smile.gif

I guess FM06 was my favourite recent version simply because I had a fantastic 20-season game with Whitley Bay which, though still unrealistic, did involve some struggles in averaging 2 seasons per promotion and falling away to 10 points adrift at the bottom of the Premiership just ~3½ years after winning it was an exciting new experience that previous versions rarely gave!

Originally posted by Lionel Perez:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Peacemaker7:

Not as much as we miss Lionel_Perez according to awards voting icon_wink.gif

Ahh, I knew my ears were burning for some reason. There's no underscore ffs icon_razz.gif

Er, hello all icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ha there is now icon_razz.gif

Nice to see you floating around. Not sure if congratulations is quite the right thing to say for most missed icon_biggrin.gif

Originally posted by glamdring:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by sherm:

CM4 was definitely up there amongst the worst versions - I had some fun managing Halifax Town, but only in the sense that I won promotion every season from Conference to Premiership. Whilst I'd love to claim to be a genius I think game flaws and it being too easy were entirely responsible! Mind you, I did get them relegated straight away from the EPL icon_smile.gif

I guess FM06 was my favourite recent version simply because I had a fantastic 20-season game with Whitley Bay which, though still unrealistic, did involve some struggles in averaging 2 seasons per promotion and falling away to 10 points adrift at the bottom of the Premiership just ~3½ years after winning it was an exciting new experience that previous versions rarely gave! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

CM4 was bad, the original CM3 imo was miles worse. Iirc you could actually play CM4 out of the box, with CM3 you literally couldn't.

Ha there is now icon_razz.gif

Nice to see you floating around. Not sure if congratulations is quite the right thing to say for most missed icon_biggrin.gif

Haha, yeah, an award for me not writing is probably about the best I can hope for tbh. I'll do another story one day - I got FM2008 at the weekend and am quite enjoying it thus far. As I'm a proper(ish) journalist now, I don't usually feel like going home and writing more icon_wink.gif

FWIW I agree with you PM - Despite generally being an abomination, CM4 was at least fairly stable out of the box. The constant crashes of CM3 used to wind me up no end.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by glamdring:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by sherm:

I guess FM06 was my favourite recent version simply because I had a fantastic 20-season game with Whitley Bay which, though still unrealistic, did involve some struggles in averaging 2 seasons per promotion and falling away to 10 points adrift at the bottom of the Premiership just ~3½ years after winning it was an exciting new experience that previous versions rarely gave! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

CM4 was bad, the original CM3 imo was miles worse. Iirc you could actually play CM4 out of the box, with CM3 you literally couldn't. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I can't remember now how many patches I downloaded for CM4, if any. I remember it having the appalling bug of certain attributes (dribbling in particular) dropping through the floor for most players after a few years though which made it fairly unplayable.

CM3 was the version I first started with so I guess I had nothing to compare it with and it was all just a novel new experience, vastly superior to Soccer Management Simulator which was my only previous football management game experience!

First versiom I ever had was CM2 (which was 1996-97 season i think) them I stopped until CM01/02 which I borrowed off a friend. I found that enjoyable, so from then I was hooked. I liked CM01/02 due to one Middlesbrough game I had that lasted 15 seasons (still a record I had), but I found it realistic and it's a shame I dont have it anymore because I'd like the odd dabble. CM4 didn't have bugs, you're right, but I don't recall ever playing CM3...was it that bad?

I'm almost tempted to re-install CM 01/02 to see what all the fuss is about, but I'm not sure I could ever go back to a pre-2D match version now. I remember having some fun games in 01/02, but in those days I played really "wide" games with me controlling upto 16 managers rather than long games over many seasons. I loved the crowd noises though, far better than most of the recent additions!

Fiorentina 4-3 PSV Eindhoven (in 01/02) with me managing both teams in a Champs League semi is probably still my favourite single match I've ever played although my memories of it have dwindled lots now icon_frown.gif Never since 01/02 have I repeated the ultra-entertaining Preston North End team I had though who are still the only team I've ever seen (inc. AI teams) to both score and concede well over 100 goals in a Championship season. They finished ~17th, but I adored them!

The first version of the game I played was CM97/98, which I absolutely adored (particularly a game in which I took Brighton to UEFA Cup success - Jeff Minton such a legend) and consequently never bought the original CM3. The first of that range I had was CM99/00 and then CM01/02 probably still remains the version of the game on which I've had the most fun.

I never really played the CM4 range much, I was away at uni and disappeared off the forum for a while, but fell back in love with it when FM05 was released. Didn't like FM06 at all, and have only really just got into FM07 in the past couple of months. I don't like FM08 either, too many incredibly irritating bugs.

I remember CM2006 didn't have the option of appealing red cards. A send off = automatic ban.

Which wasn't good when I had four defenders sent off at Blackburn, which deciminated my squad afterwards. icon_mad.gif

Needless to say, I binned the game shortly after...

First versiom I ever had was CM2 (which was 1996-97 season i think) them I stopped until CM01/02 which I borrowed off a friend. I found that enjoyable, so from then I was hooked. I liked CM01/02 due to one .. game I had that lasted 15 seasons..

Copycat! That's my story! icon_wink.gif

In 1994 I didn't care enough about football to take notice of the World Cup happening in my own country.

By 1996 I was living and dying by the fate of the U.S. national team, and took myself to Europe for World Cup '98. I didn't have tickets, but I did have an unlimited youth EuroRail pass, so I went from country to country to watch their side play from a local pub.

While I was in England I picked up CM2 and Premier Manager '98. I found the former too dense to get into - the number of attributes players had was overwhelming, and the lack of a 2-D pitch meant that I couldn't "see" what was going on in my head. I did get way into PM'98, though, playing it until I'd mastered it - which didn't take long, tbh - and then on until I'd exhausted any replay value. I still loved it; it was just boring and I'd gotten to the point of seeing all the game-design issues I'd have done differently.

I kept reading that CM was the cream of the crop, so when I was next in Europe (2002) I picked up CM Stagione 01/02. I was in Italy. icon_wink.gif Got into that in a way that I hadn't with CM2.. I guess I had enough tactical background from PM to understand what was happening, I'd watched a lot more football and could 'see' what was happening from the commentary in a way that I hadn't before, and I'd gotten past the "English to American" translation: it really helps to know what "pace", "finishing", and "creativity" mean. icon_wink.gif

Based on negative reviews I skipped CM3 and CM4, spending that time trying to cultivate what I felt were the leading American entries in baseball and American football. Unfortunately, both developers were finding that a losing proposition, the former was going head-to-head against OOTP, and the latter was working without EA's exclusive NFL license.

I was still following football: now I had Fox Soccer Channel so I could watch Premiership matches, and a permanent bookmark to soccernet.espn.go.com so I could follow York City, whom I'd managed at length in CM01/02. I picked up FM'05 from my local Fry's, got myself a forum account, and never looked back.

Originally posted by Amaroq:

First versiom I ever had was CM2 (which was 1996-97 season i think) them I stopped until CM01/02 which I borrowed off a friend. I found that enjoyable, so from then I was hooked. I liked CM01/02 due to one .. game I had that lasted 15 seasons..

Copycat! That's my story! icon_wink.gif

QUOTE]

That's MY STORY actually!

My first Champ Man game was CM2, I think it was 96/97, might of been a season earlier, it had Cantona in it though. I fell in love with CM when playing the Italian Leagues version at a cousins and got CM2 that Christmas, I played as Man Utd for a long time and eventually had pretty much the best players in the game, having a team I could interchange in its entirety with a second lineup. I stormed to title after title and won the Champions League on many occasions.

I didn't get anything until CM 99/00 as 2000 was the year we got a decent enough PC to run current games and I enjoyed that but it was CM 01/02 that I fell in love with and started using to create a team, stick in Conference and work my way up. After that I had CM4 which I got into, but not in a big way.

I then lost interest in football, and to a certain extent I still have as I don't really follow it anymore or watch games, until my brother bought my FM 06, thinking I was still passionate about football. Eventually I got round to installing it and got hooked, for the first time I experimented with managing abroad, saving Benfica from relegation after taking over with six games to go, coming second the next year and then winning the league the year after that. I also have had glorious reigns as manager of Manchester United, and with Sporting Lisbon.

I'm currently playing the Seeking Salvation save game on FM06 until I lose interest and/or FM08 becomes far more playable and patched.

The first version of the game I played was CM97/98, which I absolutely adored ... and consequently never bought the original CM3. The first of that range I had was CM99/00 and then CM01/02 probably still remains the version of the game on which I've had the most fun.

What he said. Word for word.

Ah yes I remember way back in CM, when you could buy players like Jason Peake and David Collins for 50K and sell them on for 10 million about a year later.

Wonder where Jason Peake and David Collins are now, probably at the bottom of a glass somewhere.

CM4 was an abomination. I managed Hull for 4 years and never once received a bid for any of my players. I ended up with about 50 on my squad cause I couldn't get rid of anybody. That was a complete shambles of a game.

My favourite version wass CM00/01. I'm probably part of a very small minority who never really got into 01/02 that much icon_redface.gif I had my best games on 00/01 and was still playing it long after newer editions came out. Shame my CD is now scratched beyond repair.

Other than that, CM2 got me hooked, CM97/98 was brilliant, and more recently I really FM2006.

P W D L Gf Ga Gd Pts

Torpedo Moscow 41 36 03 02 88 26 +62 111

Avangard Kursk 41 24 06 11 70 47 +23 78

Terek Grozny 41 23 08 10 70 45 +25 77

Shinnik 41 23 06 12 71 37 +34 75

Ural 41 23 06 12 61 40 +21 75</>

Just testing..

Archived