Preseason results

Does anyone find the results of preseason kind of misleading? In a number of saves I have got great preseason results but that doesn't necessarily translate to the same success in actual games. Does the low tactical familiarity as well as low match sharpness make the preseason only about increasing fitness levels and not bout judging the quality of your team? Would it be possible to evaluate the success of tactics based on how the preseason goes?

As often is the case with FM - it depends. You can’t take pre-season too seriously for some of the reasons you identified. Also teams don’t always play their strongest side so you might think a certain tactic is more effective than it really is.

However, you can use pre-season to identify obvious flaws within your set up. I recently experimented with a 5-1-2-2 formation and a 4-1-4-1. I played a friendly switching the system at half time against a side playing a 5-3-2.

In the first half my 5-1-2-2 was very comfortable controlling possession and creating chance. After the break my 4-1-4-1 was a complete disaster. We had no way to press, could not handle their wing backs and posed no threat up against 3 DC’s.

I can’t say for certain either of my tactics are effective or a failure. I do know that I won’t be using a 4-1-4-1, at least not in it’s current form, against any team playing 5-3-2. 

Results in the preseason do tend to be misleading in the sense that you may win even if you don't play well, simply because you either play against much weaker opposition or the unofficial character of the matches makes them play with less ambition than they otherwise would have.

That's why in the preseason I pay a lot more attention to performance and how smooth my play looks than the mere result.

In short: while preseason results can often be misleading, your team's performance(s) can give you a pretty good impression as to whether your tactic works or it perhaps could/should be improved. 

The results don't mean much because the opposition doesn't care about winning, so won't make drastic changes. Motivation is also lower, because it's a friendly.

It's still possible to evaluate your tactic though. Analyse the tactic itself. Check passing options - that's the main thing I do. Where people move. How/where/when they move. How high is the D-line - too high/low? How's the pressing? Any areas not utilised in attack, that really should be? Any areas you're leaving open in transition? ETC.

I lost 0-5 to Bayern Munich in pre-season once and I wasn't playing a particularly aggressive system. Bit worrying to hear that the AI don't 'care about winning'. Needless to say the season went well and ended up winning the league.

So no I just think Preseason games are useful to get players fit, build moral and tactical familiarity and as Hunt3r says, spot any weaknesses on the pitch.

Edited by Luizinho