Finances, how do I turn the tide?

Hey folks. 

With almost every team I play with I find myself hemorrhaging money every month. This is even when I have cut the wage budget massively and am winning games and finishing in respectable positions.

Does anyone else have this issue or does anyone have any obvious tips I am missing?

Have a look at the expenditure page and see where the cash is going- there are many areas of outgoings that you cant affect so check the ones that you can.  One tip is that although you have a transfer and wage budget, it is not necessary to spend it all and any money unspent will help the overall figures.  Sometimes you have to accept that you may have to sell some of your top players just to stay ahead of the cash flow.  Acquiring top youth talent and selling them with a large % of next sale clause is a good long term source.

I am sure other users will have more tips.

Two words and one ''man'' - MIKE ASHLEY. That isn't to say run the club into the ground and p*ss off your fans. Instead, send your scouts all over the world (Scandinavia and Germany have been the best for me, and Australia has had a few hidden gems) and buy young players with potential of two and a half stars and above, for cheap. You'll often find 3-5 star potential.  I go for players between 18 - 23. I may have ZERO intention of ever using them. Send them out on loan for a season or two or three, having their wages paid for in full and if possible, a monthly playing and none playing fee. After a few seasons, they often come good and their value has gone from the 500k to 12 million, and sell them on. I often pay up to 7 million for these prospects but nine times out of ten I more than double that price when it comes to selling, as well as having made a profit on them out on loan.

Another tip - if you buy them at 18 years old, remember sending them on loan WITHIN your country (I am actually assuming you're in UK but I am not sure) they will have home-grown status by the time they're 21, thus adding ADDITIONAL value to whatever price they have now accrued. So set your target teams as Domestic. Failing that, send them wherever you can. 

What the other guy said.

You also need to make a choice — spend big and charge for promotion, or sell all your players and start anew with sustainable, youth players.

But yeah take a look at your finances, fire your staff if you need to. There really isn't a reason why money is going out beyond your control.

Am 22.4.2020 um 23:07 schrieb clemo:

Hey folks. 

With almost every team I play with I find myself hemorrhaging money every month. This is even when I have cut the wage budget massively and am winning games and finishing in respectable positions.

Does anyone else have this issue or does anyone have any obvious tips I am missing?

Depends on the League you play in - some are simply fanancially not viable.

Your Staff is expensive, i allways let my staff go and hire cheaper guys.

Your Players are expensive - hire better for cheaper - entirely possible in FM - make heavy use of clauses and reward payment based contracts.

Disalbe the Scouting Software Thing that cost you hundreds of thousands each year and only use it for 1 month when the Transfer Windows starts for each Season until your own scouting pool has enough Players.

Language Lessons for foreign Players can sum up to hunreds of thousands if you tend to contract foreingers.

That comes to my mind so far...

I agree with most of the above (saying as jimbo22 and gangor effectively regurgitated my initial advice and got upvoted for it 🙈) however unless you're willing to cheat, I'd omit "Disalbe the Scouting Software Thing "  from the other advice. 

Edited by Danielfc

14 minutes ago, Danielfc said:

I agree with most of the above (saying as jimbo22 and gangor effectively regurgitated my initial advice and got upvoted for it 🙈) however unless you're willing to cheat, I'd omit "Disalbe the Scouting Software Thing "  from the other advice. 

Tush, where to find youth talent is an important point. I don't see it as cheating to disable scouting - I usually want to keep looking for prospects throughout the year to target in the next transfer window. Especially in December to identify overseas players with expiring contracts. I try to spend more on scouting not less - disabling it is a false economy if you miss a bargain wonderkid.

1 hour ago, Gangor said:

Tush, where to find youth talent is an important point. I don't see it as cheating to disable scouting - I usually want to keep looking for prospects throughout the year to target in the next transfer window. Especially in December to identify overseas players with expiring contracts. I try to spend more on scouting not less - disabling it is a false economy if you miss a bargain wonderkid.

I tend to treat FM as a football simulator (because it is) and in RL players need to be watched and scouted in order to have their physical (and mental and technical) attributes assessed. So, in essence, to have their attributes available for you to see from every club in the entire world without ever having scouted them would be, well, unrealistic. Because you simply haven't got the capability to do that. Ergo, disabling the scouting ''thingy'' is, in my opinion, a deviation from the RL feel the game is trying to create and I'd consider it a cheat. I understand why you do it though, believe me I would love to have everyone's attributes available to me. I just can't bring myself to do it. 

For the record I didn't mean to come across like a snotty A-hole haha

Edited by Danielfc

1 hour ago, Danielfc said:

I tend to treat FM as a football simulator (because it is) and in RL players need to be watched and scouted in order to have their physical (and mental and technical) attributes assessed. So, in essence, to have their attributes available for you to see from every club in the entire world without ever having scouted them would be, well, unrealistic. Because you simply haven't got the capability to do that. Ergo, disabling the scouting ''thingy'' is, in my opinion, a deviation from the RL feel the game is trying to create and I'd consider it a cheat. I understand why you do it though, believe me I would love to have everyone's attributes available to me. I just can't bring myself to do it. 

I'm trying to make the point that disabling scouting packages is giving yourself a disadvantage and that's why it's not cheating. Not advocating it at all - quite the opposite.

50 minutes ago, Gangor said:

I'm trying to make the point that disabling scouting packages is giving yourself a disadvantage and that's why it's not cheating. Not advocating it at all - quite the opposite.

I think you or I are confused in this case. Etebaer stated, or as I understood it, that disabling the scouting ''software thing'' was the ''attribute masking'' which can be disabled at the game startup. I am unaware that you can stop/start/stop/start the scouting packages within the game. You choose a package...then you have it for the season. So it makes no sense to me that he was talking about disabling this. And to be able to ''use it for one month when the transfer window starts''....what? ! So you can stop start? This is all becoming complicated haha. 

4 hours ago, Danielfc said:

I think you or I are confused in this case. Etebaer stated, or as I understood it, that disabling the scouting ''software thing'' was the ''attribute masking'' which can be disabled at the game startup. I am unaware that you can stop/start/stop/start the scouting packages within the game. You choose a package...then you have it for the season. So it makes no sense to me that he was talking about disabling this. And to be able to ''use it for one month when the transfer window starts''....what? ! So you can stop start? This is all becoming complicated haha. 

Pretty sure he's talking about scouting packages. Yes, you can change your scouting package each month

1 hour ago, Gangor said:

Pretty sure he's talking about scouting packages. Yes, you can change your scouting package each month

Strange, I see no option of this anywhere. I got asked in my first season 12 years ago which package I want and I have never been asked since. Even in scouting page I see no option other than to adjust the amount of funds I wish to give to it 

31 minutes ago, Danielfc said:

Strange, I see no option of this anywhere. I got asked in my first season 12 years ago which package I want and I have never been asked since. Even in scouting page I see no option other than to adjust the amount of funds I wish to give to it 

Go to Scouting>>Shortlist and you'll see the senior package that you currently have

458980997_ParisSaint-GermainFC_Shortlist.thumb.png.9050c09bb044987514d64dfa3ce00d63.png

Click on the dropdown menu for your senior package and you'll see all the available packages

117285896_ParisSaint-GermainFC_Shortlist-2.thumb.png.0ef9ce17ee2369db23589c848794609a.png

On 22/04/2020 at 23:31, Danielfc said:

....  buy young players with potential of two and a half stars and above, for cheap. You'll often find 3-5 star potential.  I go for players between 18 - 23. I may have ZERO intention of ever using them. Send them out on loan for a season or two or three, having their wages paid for in full and if possible, a monthly playing and none playing fee. After a few seasons, they often come good and their value has gone from the 500k to 12 million, and sell them on. I often pay up to 7 million for these prospects but nine times out of ten I more than double that price when it comes to selling, as well as having made a profit on them out on loan ...

Makes a lot of sense but do you find buying players with 2 and a half stars potential upsets the fans and / or the board?

1 hour ago, Danielfc said:

I always used it when I'm managing lower reputation clubs and don't have large scouting budget. I would switch to better packages in December and January and try to find some players to join me on Bossman rulling. I always have trouble to remember to switch back because you forget and if you reach February 1st, you have to pay for that whole month.

vor 8 Stunden schrieb Danielfc:

Oh indeed, i was unaware it was confusing - i mean these Scouting packages you pay for ingame that give you veryexpensive scouting advice - you really only need it at the start of each Season if your income does not meet your expenses.

Ofc that means you monitor it very intensively that month and track Players that caught your eye with your own scouts from there on.

15 hours ago, Hovis Dexter said:

Go to Scouting>>Shortlist and you'll see the senior package that you currently have

458980997_ParisSaint-GermainFC_Shortlist.thumb.png.9050c09bb044987514d64dfa3ce00d63.png

Click on the dropdown menu for your senior package and you'll see all the available packages

117285896_ParisSaint-GermainFC_Shortlist-2.thumb.png.0ef9ce17ee2369db23589c848794609a.png

Always learning, cheers! 

15 hours ago, Hovis Dexter said:

Makes a lot of sense but do you find buying players with 2 and a half stars potential upsets the fans and / or the board?

I do not, as they're often youngsters earmarked for the future. Plus...I'd just ignore it if it did upset them. I know best :P not the fans