Players wanting to leave the team

Hi SI community,

i am confused about how this game works. My team wins the UEFA Champions League for 2 seasons in a row. Then, Liverpool wanted to buy my striker, Erling Haaland. When i rejected the bid, he got upset and wanted to leave the club. This is not the first time this has happened. It is interesting how a player wants to leave my team since i just won UEFA twice in a row. It seems like it happens a lot if the offer comes from Big Clubs like Real Madrid, Barcelona, Liverpool, etc.

I just think it is not logical that a player wants to leave a championship team to join other team that does not even reach semi final in UEFA

They want to leave because they want to play in a better league for, probably, a team with a better reputation. This can be for a variety of reasons, for example, they may want to test themselves in a better league against better players or get paid a lot more. This is exactly the same IRL

Edited by Hovis Dexter
added a missing "want"

They also may want a new challenge. They might want to win every league going, the champions league with multiple clubs etc (Zlatan for example)

And Haaland specifically ticks all the boxes for this type of behaviour. He has a small ish release clause at Dortmund in reality for this very reason. Wouldn’t be at all surprised to see him play for multiple big clubs in his career in reality.

Edited by sidslayer

You never said what team you are but based on the fact you call them bigger teams it appears the reputation of your club is the issue here 

If a team upsets the odds and wins a competition sometimes their players still leave, Look at leicester they lost Kante even after winning the league

I had the same issue in FM19. Managing Real Madrid and winning absolutely everything I still had first team/key players wanting to leave the club everytime PSG/Man U./Liverpool etc. showed their interest. If they wanted a new challenge fair enough but that wasn't the case in this situation. They're playing regularly/all the time for the biggest club in the world so it shouldn't happen. But it does and that's the main reason I haven't bought FM20 - I don't want the hassle keeping the players happy and the team spirit healthy when this "feature" is so poorly implemented.

- T

1 hour ago, Troels Jensen said:

I had the same issue in FM19. Managing Real Madrid and winning absolutely everything I still had first team/key players wanting to leave the club everytime PSG/Man U./Liverpool etc. showed their interest. If they wanted a new challenge fair enough but that wasn't the case in this situation. They're playing regularly/all the time for the biggest club in the world so it shouldn't happen. But it does and that's the main reason I haven't bought FM20 - I don't want the hassle keeping the players happy and the team spirit healthy when this "feature" is so poorly implemented.

- T

Ronaldo left (fair enough, new challenge). I agree it is implemented a little unrealistically, like why when every major club wants any player do they always have a preference for PSG? They’re not ALL about the money, surely?

But I personally find the balance about right. Not every player wants to leave as soon as there’s interest from elsewhere.

Edited by sidslayer

Not sure how bad it is in FM20, but league rep is known to be stupidly overpowered. In past versions I had star players get unsettled because they couldn't go from a multiple times champions league winner in a 4.5* rep league to some mid table club in England that was accomplishing absolutely nothing. Who cares if I won't ever play Champions League, I'll be playing in a 5* rep national league! :idiot:

I am managing AC Milan and based on the reputation, seems like my team has better reputation at this point than barcelona or Real Madrid. I won UEFA Champions back to back for 2 years now beating PSG, Real Madrid, Man City.

I get that players want to try a new challenge, but this seems to happen to every player whenever they get an offer from teams like Real Madrid, Barcelona, PSG, etc.

Players wanting to leave is usually because they want to:

Play in a better league whose league reputation is higher than the one they are currently in
Play for a team with a higher reputation
Earn more money

( Not necessarily in that order)