FM20.2 A 352 for Premier League to non-League, Favourite OR Underdog. (plus Training Schedules)

Stockport-County-Overview.png

Greetings all,

Whilst v1 of the tactic was fit for purpose in terms of achieving high levels of over performance for teams with low reputations for their divisions (underdogs), myself and a few others noted that once your ‘reputation’ caught up with you a bit and some teams began parking the bus against you we would struggle to break these teams down resulting in a frustrating pattern of play where you would often beat the better teams in the division yet lose or draw to the weaker teams who ‘sat in’ against you.

Essentially, due to the way the reputation system works, we have 2 problems to solve, how to play against teams who attack you and how to play against teams who defend against you.

Over the course of a career your ‘standing’ will fluctuate and you will face varying levels of both scenarios. This can be handled by running 2 tactics and selecting the appropriate one (which I can’t be bothered to do) or creating a tactic flexible enough to handle both situations, the latter of these was my objective here.

Being a manager who likes to plug and play 1 tactic and concentrate more on man management and player/squad development I was after something that could win the Premier League well with Man City where you are constantly playing against massed defences yet also win the National League with Stockport County where you are tipped for relegation and would be relentlessly attacked.

If I could achieve these 2 extremes we should be able to handle everything in between as we move through our careers.

Results

English-Premier-Division-Stages.png

A solid season for Man City, sure there are higher scoring tactics for Top Teams out there but they are unlikely to translate well to weaker teams, this is based on sound defence with enough going forward for our attacking players to express themselves well. This was a ‘holidayed’ result so expect better with good management.

Vanarama-National-League-Stages.png

At the other end of the scale Stockport enjoyed a strong season able to punish teams overcommitting against them, grabbing the 1 automatic promotion spot despite their media prediction of 24th  and DEAD LAST.

So mission accomplished, but what’s changed tactically from the original tactic?

Essentially, only the set up of the forwards. On the original tactic we had 2 attack duty strikers set up to run in behind teams who over commit, simple yet effective until you run into teams who are parking the bus where this fails to work. Instead we now employ the much more nuanced play of the Complete Forwards, one on support, one on attack duty who involve the rest of the team much more in attacks, playing with their back to goals during sustained possession, linking play in a much more patient manner allowing the creation of quality chances even against massed defences. Crucially they are still extremely effective on the counter when a more direct approach is still required, giving us a tactic versatile enough to handle all match situations.

The use of Demanding Roles is lower divisions.

I often see comments from people questioning the use of Complete Forwards and Roaming Playmakers in lower or even non-league. There is the common misconception that the names given by SI to a SET OF TACTICAL INSTRUCTIONS is actually a description of the TYPE OF PLAYER you need when its clearly not. Yes, Harry Kane could be described as a Complete Forward and there are not many of his quality around, but IN GAME it refers to a set of Instructions & Behaviours only, Frank Mulhern is a run of the mill non league Striker, he had no problem fulfilling the role of a Complete Forward in game.

Frank-Mulhern-Profile.png

Notes

Left Wingback to take Left Sided Corners and Throw Ins

Right Wingback to take Right Sided Corners and Throw Ins

No oppositions Instructions

TRAINING

This year I am employing the same tried and trusted training schedules from last year namely;

PRE-SEASON

MATCH WEEK

DEVELOPMENT WEEK

PRE-SEASON should be employed immediately upon the players return for a new season until the week before your first competitive match. It is designed to recover physical attributes lost during the off season, build team morale, and improving conditioning and injury resistance for the main season.

MATCH WEEK should be employed in any week where you have 2 OR MORE games. Pursuing player attribute development is pointless during these weeks, instead its all about recovery, conditioning and arriving on Match days in the best physical and mental shape possible. 

DEVELOPMENT WEEK can be employed if you only have 1 match this week leaving a run of training days to work on coaching and improving players whilst still gearing up for match day.

Rosler 352 v2.fmf DEVELOPMENT WEEK.fmf MATCH WEEK.fmf PRE-SEASON.fmf

Edited by Mr U Rosler

Hi, been using the previous tactic with Chester and currently into League 1 with them so doing ok.  Sergio Carrasco was a particular star for me getting up.  With the new version are the player attributes that you look for the same as the previous version or are they slightly different in the way this tactic is set up with the forwards?

17 minutes ago, xilere said:

@Mr U Rosler Do you arrange friendly matches in preseason? I guess that wouldn't go well with your training. So what do you do for match sharpness?

Btw if you've just changed the forwards I guess the new tactic wouldnt give me the "familiarity" headache...

Hi, I arrange friendlies for Saturdays in pre-season mainly, with a couple mid-week.

Last year i would use Saturdays exclusively and use under 18 & under 23 matches to get everyone fit in preseason, but they made a mess of setting availability for 1st team players for u18's and u23's this year so its a bit of a faff, hence the couple of extra mid-week friendlies.    

Familiarity should not be an issue, but given the state of this years game who knows :lol:

Edited by Mr U Rosler

i have begin to test this tactic with lower league with 10 clubs in 10 different country at the lowest possible and for now the results are good even if my tactics screen are mostly red i have 1 lost at least 1-0 the goal was a free kick so can't really do something and one of my player have missed a penalty otherwise 3 or 4 draws but mostly against stronger teams so good draws and 2 wins and good ones one was 4-0

i was surprised by the so good results even if they were only friendlies and even if i have test your first one with good results because my player are for the most train only one week with your tactics so they have not enough time to adapt but i would like to see how they'll play after

i will do more matches because i have only do to few matches to be sure of the results but for now for me it's good

On 31/12/2019 at 04:49, vins1977 said:

i have begin to test this tactic with lower league with 10 clubs in 10 different country at the lowest possible and for now the results are good even if my tactics screen are mostly red i have 1 lost at least 1-0 the goal was a free kick so can't really do something and one of my player have missed a penalty otherwise 3 or 4 draws but mostly against stronger teams so good draws and 2 wins and good ones one was 4-0

i was surprised by the so good results even if they were only friendlies and even if i have test your first one with good results because my player are for the most train only one week with your tactics so they have not enough time to adapt but i would like to see how they'll play after

i will do more matches because i have only do to few matches to be sure of the results but for now for me it's good

How have the results carried on for you? Rosler makes some decent tactics, and I really need to play around with those training schedules!

hi danwolf

so far the results are good a few loses many draws (but mostly against stronger teams so good draws) and some wins with good score like 4-1 or 6-2 but i have do only friendlies for now

sometimes i have many yellows cards but not always maybe it's my players fault i don't know

for me his tactic is very good because i have very weak teams and i do good enough results for my taste but if i were you i'll wait for others test to compare the results

my first real match with annabank united in scotland west region league cup

the bet was 1,25for them and 10,00 for me and i've make a draw so a very good start and their best player has 72 ca and mine has 15 lol

so if it's not a good tactic i don't know what that is

i've put the screen of the strength of my team to show they really aren't great it's one of my worst team and maybe the worst

20200103004906_1.jpg

20200103004411_1.jpg

20200103005747_1.jpg

12 hours ago, peteqsen said:

Hello Mr U Rosler,

Happy New Year and Greetings from Germany.

Thank you for your tactics, I'm testing this one at the moment.

Do you have any opposition instructions or is your Co responsible for that?

Thank you in advance.

Pete

Hi, 

No Oi's at all. 

Thanks for your hard work. I'm going to use this now on my villa save 3 games into the season where I have scraped a win, got hammered by Liverpool then squeezed past Colchester in the cup. Hopefully my strikers may actually score a goal now.

Brilliant tactic! 6 games, 6 wins. 13 goals scored and only 2 conceded. Some good football on display going forward and solid at the back. When leading against a tough side i dropped all attacking roles to support and overall mentality to defend. Even when i do that i have had numerous goals in the last 10-15 mins catching opponents on the break. Best tactic by far. Thank you my friend. 

first of all, thanks @Mr U Rosler - have been using v1 of this tactic since day dot in my 'new' save with Kingstonian who had just been promoted to the Vanarama South .. I'm now in League One after 3 straight promotions so it's safe to say it's worked pretty well! have really struggled with it this season, not creating enough chances, not scoring enough goals etc. delighted to have found this new version of the tactic and has sorted my problems right out, so thanks so much, now on course for a positive season, might even sneak the playoffs..

wondered if you had any advice though; collecting A LOT of yellow cards (broke records for bad discipline etc 3 seasons in a row) - is there something you can suggest to change for when a player gets booked etc? or can you suggest which position to take substitute/sacrifice when this happens? when I'm down to 10 men I normally absolutely capitulate and go on to lose.

any help appreciated and ty again for the awesome tactic

15 hours ago, trickyrikki said:

/whats the thinking behind a RPM rather than a DLP?

Hi,

With 3 centre backs in position my feeling was we could afford to have a more mobile role here, the DLP is bit static.

It supports the general idea of being fairly compact when out of possession but throwing players forward quickly during transitions. 

12 hours ago, LukeWeaver said:

first of all, thanks @Mr U Rosler - have been using v1 of this tactic since day dot in my 'new' save with Kingstonian who had just been promoted to the Vanarama South .. I'm now in League One after 3 straight promotions so it's safe to say it's worked pretty well! have really struggled with it this season, not creating enough chances, not scoring enough goals etc. delighted to have found this new version of the tactic and has sorted my problems right out, so thanks so much, now on course for a positive season, might even sneak the playoffs..

wondered if you had any advice though; collecting A LOT of yellow cards (broke records for bad discipline etc 3 seasons in a row) - is there something you can suggest to change for when a player gets booked etc? or can you suggest which position to take substitute/sacrifice when this happens? when I'm down to 10 men I normally absolutely capitulate and go on to lose.

any help appreciated and ty again for the awesome tactic

Hi Luke,

Thanks for the feedback, you're doing better than me! Been stuck in League 1 for a couple of seasons now, think my recruitment & scouting skills are a bit rusty having done academy saves the last few years, struggling to attract players who can improve the team. Got a run at the playoffs this season though.

You will pick up yellows, i don't mind them its the Reds i dislike and i get very few of them. A suspension is an opportunity for a player to rest as far as i'm concerned, squad rotation is useful this year anyway so i manage it as i go along.

When down to 10 men, if i'm winning or drawing i'll take a striker off and play with just the 1 up top, if losing i'll keep the Strikers and go to a back 2.

14 minutes ago, Mr U Rosler said:

Hi Luke,

Thanks for the feedback, you're doing better than me! Been stuck in League 1 for a couple of seasons now, think my recruitment & scouting skills are a bit rusty having done academy saves the last few years, struggling to attract players who can improve the team. Got a run at the playoffs this season though.

You will pick up yellows, i don't mind them its the Reds i dislike and i get very few of them. A suspension is an opportunity for a player to rest as far as i'm concerned, squad rotation is useful this year anyway so i manage it as i go along.

When down to 10 men, if i'm winning or drawing i'll take a striker off and play with just the 1 up top, if losing i'll keep the Strikers and go to a back 2.

top man - League One is tough, I just haven't amassed the supporters as I've risen quite quickly and therefore finances are a bit ropey. trying to attract the right talent to the club to propel it forward with very little money in the bank is a struggle..

appreciate your opinion re: yellow/red cards - happy to hear it's not just me who's picking up loads of bookings (wondered if I just had a very aggressive group of players)

one last question; wondered if you had anything you do to the tactic when trying to defend a slim lead against a better side. is it as simple as changing from Attacking to Cautious/Defensive? is it worth changing individual assignments from Attack to Support etc?

39 minutes ago, LukeWeaver said:

top man - League One is tough, I just haven't amassed the supporters as I've risen quite quickly and therefore finances are a bit ropey. trying to attract the right talent to the club to propel it forward with very little money in the bank is a struggle..

appreciate your opinion re: yellow/red cards - happy to hear it's not just me who's picking up loads of bookings (wondered if I just had a very aggressive group of players)

one last question; wondered if you had anything you do to the tactic when trying to defend a slim lead against a better side. is it as simple as changing from Attacking to Cautious/Defensive? is it worth changing individual assignments from Attack to Support etc?

Personally i just plug and play it, otherwise i'd be 2nd guessing myself all the time.

The only thing i do is 'interrupt' a 2nd half come back. i.e. you're winning by 2 or 3 goals at half time but in the 2nd half your opponent scores and is all over you, i'll make a substitution.

Although this is largely based on paranoia, the 'result' of the 2nd half is calculated at half time, you then view the highlights of this during the 2nd half. When i get the 6th sense that a comeback is on the cards, making a substitution causes the match calculation to happen again effectively re-calculating the result. Although its probably confirmation bias i can usually hold onto the win.   

I'll put my league 1 team up later, although most of them are league 2 rated i have a couple of gems who have made a real difference, 1 being Rushian Hepburn Murphy. 

Edited by Mr U Rosler

Hey Mr U Rosler, I use your training schedules. How could we improve the development week for those weeks, when players are off to national duties? If saturday I don't schedule a friendly (which I don't, because too many players are not available), there are two days free for everyone. Seems to be a bit too much... any suggestions?

29 minutes ago, Smiza said:

Hey Mr U Rosler, I use your training schedules. How could we improve the development week for those weeks, when players are off to national duties? If saturday I don't schedule a friendly (which I don't, because too many players are not available), there are two days free for everyone. Seems to be a bit too much... any suggestions?

I personally don't mind players having the odd weekend off but you could schedule in a Practice Match or 2 or 3 of your preferred sessions onto one of the days. (i'd make sure they have 1 day off).

vor 5 Stunden schrieb Mesousa:

Why not go for a sweeper keeper with the high defense line?

I tried that. I think the problem is that SK is (still) mainly an attacking setting, less a defensive one. That is, the keeper does not really play a sweeper role without the ball, Neuer-style (at least I've never seen that); however, he then has the instruction to play more risky or counter-attacking balls, which does not fit this tactic. A defensive SK might be working, but I did not see any significant defensive improvement (admittedly, I haven't played it that much).

Still a solid tactic. Currently sitting 3rd in the Prem and have reached my first league cup final. Very consistent against lesser teams and puts up a fight against stronger teams with superior players. Still really struggling to get consistent performances from my forwards. Seems to be one good game, then awful the next. They are still young so hopefully its their lack of experience rather than the tactic. Going to switch up their roles to AF to see if that helps. Great tactic @Mr U Rosler

image.thumb.png.9ca7ec0bf3ae1d4f0158727af1ed6abc.png

image.thumb.png.f4422bd244f8f37c118bc30be4465296.png

image.thumb.png.f2391d86e2f9dcb140113acf19d46d7d.png

I've had pretty good success with this tactic.  Newly promoted Leeds, the wheels were falling off after Christmas and i switch to this and it stabilised.  In my second season up I am top 7, but had to change the default mentality to Balanced.  I was getting beaten even by lesser teams when on attacking.  Balanced seems to have stiffened it up a bit (although away form is still not great - But I have a pretty young side, and my wingbacks aren't great).

leedstable.thumb.jpg.9028dffdb94864447909c73d6583c353.jpg

Alas, this stopped working for me and I couldn't tweak it to work again.  Essentially devolved into creates lots of chances but always less goals than the opposition who create hardly any... the old force field in front of the goal.

Half the battle is just sticking with a tactic through thick and thin on a pretty ugly match engine without tweaking or changing the mentality.

Quick update on my own progress.

Played the previous season half on the old tactic, half on the new tactic, made the play offs and lost, had a few doubts about the tactic but I did have a young, improving team which was no match for those teams which had come down from the Championship.

This season was much better, pretty much topped the table from start to finish. Basically the same team but a year’s worth of development for my young players plus I picked up 2 highly rated midfielders although I didn’t get one of these until January.

Having said that, it was no cake walk, pretty attritional football with not much in most games, but obviously we came out on top more often than not. (Not sure what other tactics are like). Good defensive record and a decent amount of goals scored spread across the team with my advanced Striker picking up his 20 goals despite missing a couple of months with injuries.

Looking forward to establishing us in the Championship, desperately need a better support Striker, some central defenders as all my current ones are rated as League 2 and hopefully a new Left Back.

Gonna be a busy transfer window! 

Sky-Bet-League-One-Stages.png

Staying in the Championship with the lowest wage budget looks like no problem.

Sky-Bet-Championship-Stages.png

My update... I switched to another tactic for 5 matches with terrible results... then switched back, BUT, also stopped delegating opposition instructions to the assistant and I very rarely give them out myself.  Results have gotten much better again.  We'll see how the rest of the season goes.

9 hours ago, Mr U Rosler said:

Half the battle is just sticking with a tactic through thick and thin on a pretty ugly match engine without tweaking or changing the mentality.

Quick update on my own progress.

Played the previous season half on the old tactic, half on the new tactic, made the play offs and lost, had a few doubts about the tactic but I did have a young, improving team which was no match for those teams which had come down from the Championship.

This season was much better, pretty much topped the table from start to finish. Basically the same team but a year’s worth of development for my young players plus I picked up 2 highly rated midfielders although I didn’t get one of these until January.

Having said that, it was no cake walk, pretty attritional football with not much in most games, but obviously we came out on top more often than not. (Not sure what other tactics are like). Good defensive record and a decent amount of goals scored spread across the team with my advanced Striker picking up his 20 goals despite missing a couple of months with injuries.

Looking forward to establishing us in the Championship, desperately need a better support Striker, some central defenders as all my current ones are rated as League 2 and hopefully a new Left Back.

Gonna be a busy transfer window! 

Sky-Bet-League-One-Stages.png

Staying in the Championship with the lowest wage budget looks like no problem.

Sky-Bet-Championship-Stages.png

Very nice

Any changes during game?

Im still using V2,for now its not bad, but this ME really s.... 

Unbelievable GodKeeper every game

I like the looks of this, and it's the same shape I want to develop with my Rochdale side as we (hopefully) move up the leagues. 

My question is primarily the roles of CF and RPM, most players lower down are not very well-suited to these roles. Do you not think PF and DLP would be better for them? I know that you have written about it in your opening post but I still get bothered by the large red patches. Also in terms of instructions these roles have take more risks and roam from position etc. - just not sure if the players are good enough to be entrusted with these responsibilities? Did you find that having strikers are PF their performances were a lot worse?

13 hours ago, xplode7 said:

Very nice

Any changes during game?

Im still using V2,for now its not bad, but this ME really s.... 

Unbelievable GodKeeper every game

No, i just plug and play it and ride it out.

It ain't pretty at times but its getting the job done for me.

3 hours ago, karanhsingh said:

I like the looks of this, and it's the same shape I want to develop with my Rochdale side as we (hopefully) move up the leagues. 

My question is primarily the roles of CF and RPM, most players lower down are not very well-suited to these roles. Do you not think PF and DLP would be better for them? I know that you have written about it in your opening post but I still get bothered by the large red patches. Also in terms of instructions these roles have take more risks and roam from position etc. - just not sure if the players are good enough to be entrusted with these responsibilities? Did you find that having strikers are PF their performances were a lot worse?

I personally found the DLP doesnt work as well in this tactic, we need a disruptive force pushing aggressively forward otherwise our attack is blunted. 

Pressing forwards are good, and certainly an option as long as at least 1 is on attack duty. But i've found the complete forwards work better in a wider range of match situations.

Having 3 centre backs gives us licence to have some freedom through the rest of the team. In fact, in order to spring out of our defensive shape effectively we need to encourage this.

No issues myself using these roles in the lower leagues :thup:

42 minutes ago, Mr U Rosler said:

No, i just plug and play it and ride it out.

It ain't pretty at times but its getting the job done for me.

Doing same like u

But checking maybe u change something cuz tactic really looks great, especially when team is gelled, only problem for better results is definitely ME

Keep informing us about ur success, in next few days im gonna post my screenshots

5 minutes ago, adam_thomas said:

Hi. Do the player "attributes to look for" apply from V1? I switched to this at Palace after a poor start, sadly I couldnt get it to click but I think I had let my squad get too thin and weak and was sacked before my new signings arrived.

Hi Adam,

Yes, the only difference being the Complete Forward/support is more of an 'Attacking Midfielder' type of player i.e passing, vision, off the ball, technique. More of a supplier in this set up than an out & out goalscorer. 

Mr Rosler, do you worry too much about a players player roll or focus only on attributes? I dont have any Roaming Playmaker at Burton, Charlie Adam is closest but his physical stats are awful so he wont be roaming very far! Should i play a centre midfielder there?

Thanks

5 hours ago, adam_thomas said:

Mr Rosler, do you worry too much about a players player roll or focus only on attributes? I dont have any Roaming Playmaker at Burton, Charlie Adam is closest but his physical stats are awful so he wont be roaming very far! Should i play a centre midfielder there?

Thanks

Yes, a retrained Centre midfielder is good. Vision and passing are key, should rack up double figure assists from open play. They do need to be fairly mobile, a fat bloke who's a good passer wont really cut it :lol:  

2 hours ago, Mr U Rosler said:

Yes, a retrained Centre midfielder is good. Vision and passing are key, should rack up double figure assists from open play. They do need to be fairly mobile, a fat bloke who's a good passer wont really cut it :lol:  

Haha, will put Mr Adam out to seed!

Used this tactic to great success in a couple of countries, but now with Sunderland in the Premiership and getting utterly decimated (i.e. losing by >5 goals to teams in bottom half of table).

I feel like there must be something I'm missing.  My squad is poor by premiership standards, but not terrible (i.e. my attack is rated ~5th for pace and acceleration).

I have OIs disabled, have tried both giving a quick briefing myself and letting the AM do it, have now adopted your training schedules as well but just haven't been able to stop the rot.  I have noticed that the vast majority of goals conceded are route one balls over the top.

Tactical familiarity took a while to improve (I got promoted from the Championship with a more attacking 4-2-3-1 and then switched to this for my premiership campaign), but the main problem for familiarity is position / role / duty which I wouldn't expect to be a major problem. 

I feel like I must be must be missing something huge, but I can't think what it could be right now.

So I decided to make one tweak to the tactic - to remove the team-wide "get stuck in" to try to reduce the number of red cards I was receiving.  My team has the highest aggression in the league so perhaps that is causing more than I might have expected otherwise (even micro-managing individual players on yellow cards to ease off).

Anyway, over the course of the season results did pick up and I've gone up from 20th to a comfortable 15th.

The only conclusion I can draw is that the tactical familiarity being slightly less than 100% was causing a lot of problems.  I definitely perform better against the big clubs than I would expect (beating 1st and 2nd place clubs in the final few games of the season) and am more variable against the smaller clubs, but the earlier season problems of getting stuffed by poor clubs has gone.

If that was the cause then the effect in this version of the ME seems very overpowered to me, but such is life!

Edited by snootyjim

Got so bored of this Match Engine i've now switched to the BETA ME. 

It's much better seeing some great football and very few of those one on one's.

This tactic is going very well with a couple of tweaks. Gone back to 2 Pressing Forwards/attack and changed from focus 'play through middle' to 'focus play down flanks'.

Will probably also have to remove 'get stuck in' as its fairly punishing in the Beta with cards.

See lots of play into overlapping Wingbacks and some good goals from crosses.

Edited by Mr U Rosler