FM20 Lower League Special - 3322 - Stockport County Predicted 24th - Result = 1st

Its still going well for me at Rochdale (with play through the middle) - was 4th at xmas in my 1st season in the Championship but went on an awful 8 game run without a win and dropped to 20th! Ended up finishing a very respectable 10th with what was a league 1 team. Second season and after a slow start sitting in the playoffs with a much stronger squad. Be good to try your training and corner routines when you add them.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been using it. Had some great results in a previous save with Glasgow Rangers, started a new save with York City and it has been a bit hit and miss. Mr U Rosler usually does great tactics for FM games so hopefully he will be able to make this a bit better.

After 2 promotions in 3 years with Stockport i've stalled a bit in League 1, not terrible but 2nd season in League 1 and i'm just outside the playoffs.

The issue is whilst i'm still beating top teams, whenever i'm favourite i struggle to break teams down. The tactic creates a lot of 1 on 1's which sounds good, but in reality this is not a reliable way of scoring goals.

I'm looking at a 442, using Leicester as my test team i have them 3rd scoring 20 more goals than Liverpool and City with Jamie Vardy scoring 48 goals in a season! But defensively its too leaky conceding 65 goals, a lot of potential here if i can tighten things up.

Watch this space!  

Jamie-Vardy-Profile.png

Edited by Mr U Rosler

37 minutes ago, Mr U Rosler said:

After 2 promotions in 3 years with Stockport i've stalled a bit in League 1, not terrible but 2nd season in League 1 and i'm just outside the playoffs.

The issue is whilst i'm still beating top teams, whenever i'm favourite i struggle to break teams down. The tactic creates a lot of 1 on 1's which sounds good, but in reality this is not a reliable way of scoring goals.

I'm looking at a 442, using Leicester as my test team i have them 3rd scoring 20 more goals than Liverpool and City with Jamie Vardy scoring 48 goals in a season! But defensively its too leaky conceding 65 goals, a lot of potential here if i can tighten things up.

Watch this space!  

Jamie-Vardy-Profile.png

Fingers crossed @Mr U Rosler 

I have the same issue, got Bolton promoted to the Championship and did well against top teams but struggled against "Lesser Teams", very frustrating!!

I would prefer to use your tactics over anyone elses as they have served me well in the past, thanks for all the hard work you put in.

1 hour ago, Mr U Rosler said:

Watch this space!  

Jamie-Vardy-Profile.png

I have same problem,so many 1 on 1,hope this gonna be fixed with new patch because tactic looks great

Hi Rosler

I decided to go back to a tactic that was very successful in FM19 for me and your Rosler 451 19.3 I have transferred over to FM20 and it is the most consistent tactic I have ever used, I have taken over a very poor Wolves team in 2025 struggling in the championship and moved from 17th to 5th place very quickly through good defensive performances , considering I do not have the team for it, even transposed the corner tactics as well and it is working... with your permission Rosler can I post the tactic here?

7 hours ago, mjcr3529 said:

Hi Rosler

I decided to go back to a tactic that was very successful in FM19 for me and your Rosler 451 19.3 I have transferred over to FM20 and it is the most consistent tactic I have ever used, I have taken over a very poor Wolves team in 2025 struggling in the championship and moved from 17th to 5th place very quickly through good defensive performances , considering I do not have the team for it, even transposed the corner tactics as well and it is working... with your permission Rosler can I post the tactic here?

Do you mean the 541?

Still using this in season 2025-26 with Partick Thistle in the Scottish Premier league. I have won it 3 times in a row and won 5 out of 6 cups in that period. Also fluked a Euro Cup win this season.

Upside it is defensive solid under a goal a game average but I don't score that many goals lots of 1-0 wins (they all count). It took me a couple of season to get the right players in and once I did it seemed to click. We still struggle in the Champions League but that is probably down to quality players rather than the tactic. 

2 hours ago, False 9 said:

Any updates or new tactics? I see you’ve mentioned playing on defensive mentality and doing well @Mr U Rosler

Hi False 9,

Still experimenting, now focused on some of the lower mentalities, nothing quite clicked yet but will keep trying for sure!  

Hi @Mr U Rosler

Posting for the first time in years (maybe ever? I don't know how many posts I have) to thank you for this Tactic. I was doing pretty well with Bari using a bog standard GengenPress template and some roles I thought would work from FM16* days... until 20.2 hit and then I fell in a hole - and frankly, I was too lazy to solve it myself :lol:

Plugged this in and roared through last half of Serie B for back to back promotions. And currently in 4th after 9 games in Serie A. My team is ~90% U19 and U21 Italian Internationals on loans. I haven't signed anyone of note and I have a wage budget of $8m

Great stuff, my man

NB Serie A Managers: I found the "Get Stuck In" instruction too physical for Serie A (I was getting 15-20 fouls per game and a ton of cards) so I've removed it. Still doing great winning the ball back

* I've sat a few years out 

• 2 weeks later...

This tactic is working well for my Everton side in year 3 (I'm in 2038 though, have let the computer run for a good 18 years on its own). I was achieving moderate success on my own but decided to try this after reading the entire thread and seeing a lot of praise.

In year 3 we are in 2nd place after 10 games. The wingbacks are crucial to this tactic working well I feel. The WBL I have is running rampant and scoring a lot of goals. The only problem is the very high defensive line. Good teams get behind it with lofted through balls all the time and we get punished for it. Overall we aren't doing well against top teams but at any rate I feel like this tactic is far better than the one I ran into the ground on my own the two previous seasons so cred where it's due, nice one @Mr U Rosler :applause:

On 06/01/2020 at 14:37, 32MJ32 said:

Hi @Mr U Rosler

Posting for the first time in years (maybe ever? I don't know how many posts I have) to thank you for this Tactic. I was doing pretty well with Bari using a bog standard GengenPress template and some roles I thought would work from FM16* days... until 20.2 hit and then I fell in a hole - and frankly, I was too lazy to solve it myself :lol:

Plugged this in and roared through last half of Serie B for back to back promotions. And currently in 4th after 9 games in Serie A. My team is ~90% U19 and U21 Italian Internationals on loans. I haven't signed anyone of note and I have a wage budget of $8m

Great stuff, my man

NB Serie A Managers: I found the "Get Stuck In" instruction too physical for Serie A (I was getting 15-20 fouls per game and a ton of cards) so I've removed it. Still doing great winning the ball back

* I've sat a few years out 

Hello again @Mr U Rosler and anyone reading,

I am in Game 35 of Year 1 of Serie A with Bari and have ridden this all the way to a Champions League spot. In 2nd now - we can't win but we can't finish worse than 4th.  Once more, many thanks for solving this odd Match Engine.

The only adjustments I made were taking the CF(S) and changing him to a DF(S) as I didn't think any of my strikers had the quality to be a Complete Forward.... aside from Sebastiano Esposito*, who is playing the CF(A) role - he has 34 in 35 and will likely be Serie A Player of the Year. He's still 19. The other tweak I made was to take "Shoot Less Often" away from him as he's clearly my best player and I wanted him to shoot all the time.

* For those starting in the lower leagues of Italy (and maybe elsewhere), I was able to get Esposito on loan in Serie C as a 17 year old, where he's easily good enough to start. Then extended for another season into Serie B where, as an 18 year old, he was good enough to be one of the top forwards in the division. Then extended again for a 3rd year where he officially hit Wonderkid status and starts for Italy. Unfortunately, Inter want him back now, but fair to say he's a handy guy to jump on early 

• 1 month later...
On 05/12/2019 at 12:52, rmills2000 said:

Working wonders for me in Swedish 4th Tier!

7th place when I joined in match week 14, finished 1st after a 12 game unbeaten run in the league :) 

image.thumb.png.f29cbaa4552b1db69ddeb19727d91383.png

image.thumb.png.38e1fafb3a562c188989d65396017803.png

R u still going with this rmills2000?

how did it develop through the leagues?

have you been trying Mr U Roslers latest update on it? (The man.C/leicester-version with Mezzalas & Enganche)?

• 7 months later...

Sorry in advance for writing  errors, English is not my native language.

Okay, I only created this acc to say thank you for your OP tactic!! 

This is unreal... I'm managing TSV 1860 München and got promoted to Bundesliga 2. I did bring some free signings, especially wing backs to try this tactic. After that I simulated the whole season, and finished second!! In first season in Bundesliga 2!! With München 1860!! 

The only thing I changed is to swap RMP to regista, since I don't have anyone suitable for RMP role, and I have Yaya Toure for one more season and he's perfect as a regista.

I'm not sure if I'm gonna use this tactic or not though, cause it feels like cheating tbh. 

Anyways, props for your tactic, it still works!

I'll post some pics: 

829754458_1860formation.thumb.PNG.0e1a82eb7d2599f33eb061005d598be4.PNG

881810280_18602-1Borussia.thumb.PNG.5e8d68eea4311eb8479e4391d1567ee9.PNG

So yeah, as you can see, I outplayed Borussia Dortmund... nothing special... (yes i know it was a friendly game, but still)

876637433_1860standings.thumb.PNG.8ecb4afc00a41237a5f11a82e651f462.PNG

1165679917_1860leaguestats.thumb.PNG.91ad9ef66ec41551a5bdcb788237482b.PNG

As you can see Hendrik Weydandt, was my top goalscorer, even though he's far from natural when i put him on PF-a (only yellow), and even though he's got only 9 acceleration and 9 decisions. He's natural only as a target man, and he should never perform like this as a PF.... I still can't believe how broken this is...

• 1 month later...

EfzeEstepe

Not had much luck in the Beta with formations employing only 1 wide player on each flank, but go for it if you think it can work. 

442 looking strong again this year. 

Edited by Mr U Rosler